1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips Plasma Optimal Settings

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by db7000s, Jun 7, 2004.

1. db7000s

db7000s
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think I have cracked the question "What are the optimal settings for my Philips Plasma Screen ?"

After numerous hours of trial and Tuning (with setup patters) I have come to the following conclusions:

1) For viewing DVDs
    Use a PC connected to the VGA connector. (SweetSpot by pluggedin.tv & DeScaler from DeScaler.org really helped here). If this setup is not available settle for a component input (EXT 5)
    If your DVD player does not support component then RGB-Scart (EXT1 & EXT2) is next in line.

In VGA setup you can tweak the screen display setting at will.
    In Component or RGB-Scart, the screen display settings should be:
    Brightness = 35 (I MEAN THIS ! - This is important as all traces of streaking will be eliminated. One other setting which is acceptable yet stange is 100 ! Don't ask me why but it greatly reduces streaks and shaddows)
    Contrast ~ 60
    Progressive Scan
    Dynamic Contrast Max
    DNR = OFF (ALWAYS & I MEAN ALWAYS -Otherwise Facial closeups will have a panning effect)
    Colour Correction = OFF
    Sharpness should always be 0 but if you feel it is blury then turn up the sharpness until you are happy.

2) For TV viewing or SKY
    For SKY always use RGB-SCART

The screen display settings should be:
    Brightness = 35 (As above)
    Contrast ~ 60 (As above)
    Dynamic Contrast = Max
    Colour Correction = OFF
    and
    a) Progressive Scan + Sharpness 7 ! + DNR = ON
    or
    b) MoviePlus + Sharpness 0 + DNR =ON

I invite all owners of Philips Plasma's (and/or LCD) to validate or dispute the above settings.
    Lets set a benchmark and test from there...

Awaiting fedback
    The Dreamer........

2. dmoggie

dmoggie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I totally agree on a setting a benchmark for evryone.

I have a Philips 32pf9986 LCD

Ive just copied your settings and found the picture to be very dark. Have adjusted the contrast to 65 and picture seem better than I had before, but not perfect.

Theres seems to be many different combinations to achieve a better picture on theses screens and everyone has different ideas.

Please post so WE can all benefit