Philips Plasma Optimal Settings

db7000s

Standard Member
Reaction score
I think I have cracked the question "What are the optimal settings for my Philips Plasma Screen ?"

After numerous hours of trial and Tuning (with setup patters) I have come to the following conclusions:

1) For viewing DVDs
Use a PC connected to the VGA connector. (SweetSpot by pluggedin.tv & DeScaler from DeScaler.org really helped here). If this setup is not available settle for a component input (EXT 5)
If your DVD player does not support component then RGB-Scart (EXT1 & EXT2) is next in line.

In VGA setup you can tweak the screen display setting at will.
In Component or RGB-Scart, the screen display settings should be:
Brightness = 35 (I MEAN THIS ! - This is important as all traces of streaking will be eliminated. One other setting which is acceptable yet stange is 100 ! Don't ask me why but it greatly reduces streaks and shaddows)
Contrast ~ 60
Progressive Scan
Dynamic Contrast Max
DNR = OFF (ALWAYS & I MEAN ALWAYS -Otherwise Facial closeups will have a panning effect)
Colour Correction = OFF
Sharpness should always be 0 but if you feel it is blury then turn up the sharpness until you are happy.

2) For TV viewing or SKY
For SKY always use RGB-SCART

The screen display settings should be:
Brightness = 35 (As above)
Contrast ~ 60 (As above)
Dynamic Contrast = Max
Colour Correction = OFF
and
a) Progressive Scan + Sharpness 7 ! + DNR = ON
or
b) MoviePlus + Sharpness 0 + DNR =ON

I invite all owners of Philips Plasma's (and/or LCD) to validate or dispute the above settings.
Lets set a benchmark and test from there...

Awaiting fedback
The Dreamer........

I totally agree on a setting a benchmark for evryone.

I have a Philips 32pf9986 LCD

Ive just copied your settings and found the picture to be very dark. Have adjusted the contrast to 65 and picture seem better than I had before, but not perfect.

Theres seems to be many different combinations to achieve a better picture on theses screens and everyone has different ideas.

Please post so WE can all benefit

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom