1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips PJ only upside down??

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Jroz, Mar 20, 2005.

1. Jroz

Jroz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey everyone...not such a great day. Ive been having some trouble with my projector....before i was able to keep it upright so the buttons on the projector were ontop, and use the projector that way. Now i put it on..and within 5 minutes it turns off, and the lamp light blinks red and stand by flashes yellow. I opened up the lamp compartment and i took the lamp out, clean and blew out any dust in the lamp ports and on the projector, maybe it had a bad connection :confused: closed it up, and it did the same thing. Now the weird thing is...i flip the projector upside down so the buttons are on the bottom, and it works! so now i can only use it with the projector upside down. Luckily i guess..i'm thinkin about mounting it upside down on the ceiling anyways, but does anyone know what could be wrong with this? The temperature light doesnt turn any color, its just the lamp. But then its fine when i put it on its back..any ideas??..its a bSure SV2 with about 300 hours on a 6000 hour max lamp bulb. please let me know if anyone can help

thanks
    Jason

2. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,955
    If it runs for 5 minutes then shuts down, I wonder if it's possibly heat related? Having it upside down may allow the heat to dissipate away differently compared to when it's the right way up. Maybe a fan has stopped working perhaps?

Gary.

3. Jroz

Jroz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yea that could be a possibility. I was trying to tell if the external fan is spinning and it definitly is. When the projector does turn off...the lamp light turns red..but the temperature light doesnt turn anything. Im gonna try to open up the side and see if the fan is alright..dont think thats the problem though

4. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,955
    If the temp light isn't coming up then you're probably right.

5. Jroz

Jroz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    think i should take apart the projector then...try cleaning or blowing on some random parts? :thumbsup: i dont believe its on warranty anymore and it was given to me by my father who had it in his office...guess whoever used it didnt really care about it :oops: . Its fine upside down though if i can get a ceiling mount for it..but id love to figure out how to play it upright for now :eek:

6. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,955
    It might be heat related on another part perhaps - a dry joint getting more heat in the normal position than inverted maybe. You won't really know until you get it apart.

You can make cheap ceiling mounts from wood and speaker brackets. There are a couple of ideas on my website if you're interested.

Gary.

7. Jroz

Jroz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for the help bud..i'll check it out

8. Jroz

Jroz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    oh greeaattt...my projector doesnt have the 3 screw holes on the back for most universal mounts. This type of projector needs to be in a cradle, and im not sure if its upside down or not. Thing looks pretty expensive. Now i really need to get this bad boy fixed :mad:

9. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,955
    Sometimes you can unscrew the feet and use those or the threads for attaching the mounting wood - I did a similar thing with an old Davis pj. I took the feet off, placed a small sheet of mdf onto the pj (which I'd drilled 4 holes in where the feet would go), then screwed it down using the feet to clamp it into place. The ceiling mount screwed to the mdf.

Gary.

10. Jroz

Jroz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    this doesnt exactly have feet either. It has a little flap that releases when you want to tilt the projecter up or down, and the back has 2 small rubber stoppers. Im gonna try and find a picture of it if i can

11. Jroz

Jroz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    alright this is the only picture that i found that has any part of the bottom in it. You can see on the left theres little rubber stoppers and on the right thats the piece that can go up for tilt projecting. the stoppers have little holes in them i guess but its not deep or anything. You think i could put a piece on that ..that would actually hold it?

Attached Files:

12. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,955
    Are there any screws under the little rubber bits? Sometimes they come out and have screws underneath.

Is the pj designed to be ceiling mounted up-side down? Is there an option for flipping the image in the menus?

Gary.

13. Jroz

Jroz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i just took off one of the rubber stoppers...it seems like there is just a little plastic rod in the middle towards the bottom..i dont know if it would be strong enough for a hook around it. It may rip it off. i dont think its sturdy enough for hooks..and theres no screw holes. Yes i believe it is made to be mounted upside down..theres a mirror option in the menu that i can flip the screen upside down and up

14. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +107
    Jroz,
    this could be something simple like an intermittent connection on the ribbon cable to the button panel. Heat from the optical block could be enough to break the connection, however...

don't dismantle your projector if it is still under warranty,
    get it repaired FOC

bSures have a three year warranty. If you have your original receipt then you'll know how far along the warranty period it is. If you don't have the receipt then you can also tell the age of the projector from the serial number. ​

You check it like this:

e.g. serial number MV05042269013666

04 is the year of manufacture
    22 is the week of manufacture - about the end of May in this example.

Add 3 months to the date of manufacture to get a rough start date for the warranty period.

Assuming the problem is a manufacturing fault then for the first 12 months of the bSure warranty your projector will be collected, repaired and returned to you FOC.

In the 2nd & 3rd year of the warranty you pay for the carriage to the repair centre. Your projector is repaired and returned to you FOC.

Register a warranty claim by calling the help line - 0800 783 2310

Good luck :)

p.s. the projector will mount upside down but as you rightly say it uses a special bracket that hooks into the rear feet and a point just forward of the front foot. The pj can also be hung upsidedown in a cradle.