Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Philips Pixel Plus

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by hunkiemunkey, Oct 4, 2003.

1. hunkiemunkey

hunkiemunkey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi

I was in John Lewis today and was browsing throught the TV's when I saw a Nokia 221t fed through a Philips Pixel Plus TV (don't know the model but it was 36") and the picture was astonishing!! I have seen many 100Hz TV's before (Sony 100Hz, Sony DRC) and they looked far worse with much more digital artifacats.

Out of all the 'more pixel' TV's the Philips is by far the best I have seen and beats Sony's DRC hands down.

And no I don't work for Philips!

My advice is to make sure you view a set with a decent source like Sky or a DVD player, because when they are 'daisy-chained' as they are in Currys, dixons, etc. the picture is far worse.

2. Wayne Moule

Wayne Moule

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +79
    Mmmm.

The problem is,even with a good source,you won't see any nasties until you get a set home.

3. Momo

Momo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree Wayne

I'm probably going to jump in with a 6517 in a week or two.
    Whats your honest thoughts on it compared to your 6506 ?

I only want it for the picture (50Hz with no nasties) and I'm trying to convince myself the Scavem has no detrimental effect ?

The 6506's I saw and the 6517's both suffered from poor geometry in 4:3 mode not that I shall be watching much in 4:3 but I wonder if it translates across to the widescreen stretch mode that these Tv''s use ?
    Yet all these sets did look okay in widescreen stretch mode !
    Would a Philips engineer be able to sort the 4:3 geometry ?

What's your thoughts on the FM radio ?
    Personally I think it a bit gimmicky and I'd probably never use it but can see some folks would find it useful.

4. Wayne Moule

Wayne Moule

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +79
    My 6506 is excellent with no real nasties,bands,lines etc,compared to my last 6006 and 6515,which has Crystal Clear III.

It was a fluke I ordered the 6506 really,as I thought something was wrong with the 6515 and there wasn't.The 6506 is turning out to be my best set for 2-3 years and possibly my best set yet.

The geometry is spot on in all ratios,as were the last 2 Philips.

I class geometry as a minor concern compared to dark bands etc.

I'd like to know myself what SCAVEM does.

Don't really use the radio,as it needs a roof aerial really,which is rigged up to my tuner the other side of the room anyway.

:clap:

5. quadophile

quadophile

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I have seen a direct comparision between Sony DRC and the Philips Pixel Plus, I was amazed at the quality of the philips set but was not in the market at that time to buy one. That was almost 4-5 months back, now I am in the market and check the new models on offer. I had no choice but to go for a Pixel Plus which I think is a great TV and will go very well with the Philips DVD-963 SA which I got just last week.

6. DoogyDawg

DoogyDawg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Im not going into it all now, but read the thread on pixel plus and other problems. I think its on page four now, before you buy READ this, coz trust me....the BARS are on all the philips.

7. Wayne Moule

Wayne Moule

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +79
    Not on my 6506 they aint,go get one of these instead and save a shed load of money and hasle.

:clap:

8. DoogyDawg

DoogyDawg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    :D nice one matey
    but, soz...I aint touching another philips for as long as I live.
    but glad you got a good one:smashin:

9. Wayne Moule

Wayne Moule

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +79
    I know where you're coming from,my last few Philips have been dodgy,but I like the detail,sharpness and the overall product of Philips sets,having tried Sony and Panasonic.

10. blindlemon

blindlemon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree - problems aside the Philips P+ sets are excellent :)

I now have a PD30, having decided to boycott Philips due to problems and poor CS etc. - but I can't get rid of this niggling feeling that the P+ set had a better picture. The colours, in particular were excellent, and P+ with Dynamic Contrast did a superb job of giving a very pleasing picture under most circumstances.

Hmmm, I'm persevering with the PD30 for a while as I think it has potential - just waiting for my first replacement (dirty marks, colour staining etc. on this one) set to arrive.

However, if I get no joy (ie. a fault free set!) with Panasoninc then I may have to rethink my Philips boycott. It just seems like all major brands are pants for quality control nowadays.... :(

(And no, I don't want a Loewe, as IMHO, although the pictures are very nice (Philips tube), and I believe the claims made about better buiild quality and reliability, they don't do a 36" and just don't match up to what P+ or Acuity enhanced sets can deliver under optimum, fault free conditions.)

11. quadophile

quadophile

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I think the Pixel Plus is great. The unit I have has no such problems that have been discussed on this and other places. Maybe I am lucky, maybe others were unlucky but the quality of the the picture is absolutely remarkable, I just could not believe what the real potential for a CRT could be.

With the Pixel Plus Philips has taken a giant step and left the competition way behind. I may sound like I work for Philips but I do not. Its just that my hard earned money that went into this TV has just paid off.

A gamble maybe but I am happy with what I got.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

12. bodyfodder

bodyfodder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I personaly think that philips is a great brand. Their picture tubes are probably the best out there but the processing tech they put in their televisions is pretty dire.

Loewe have very good software and use philips tubes maybe thats why they are so well respected on these forums.

13. DoogyDawg

DoogyDawg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    just a note, at the moment all the philips pixel plus Tv,s use a panny tube not a philips, until later in the year or so.