1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips PF9966 Black Level Advice Needed

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by dnsoman, Jan 12, 2005.

1. dnsoman

dnsoman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just bought a Philips 42PF9966. The picture is brilliant apart from one thing - the black level which is a darkish grey (looks like its somewhere between rgb(64,64,64) and rgb(80,80,80)) but significantly brighter than the colour of the screen when it's turned off (dark grey).

I know plasma's don't have the same deep black levels of CRTs but my PF9966's seems too bright (even for plasma). I've played around with the brightness control (has no effect on black level below about 45 although does seem to darken images). I've calibrated the screen with Video Essentials but black just ain't black enough (it's annoying me).

So, will the black level get better after the 100-200 hour plasma run-in time; is it something your eye just gets used to; or does my screen need some pro tweaking to improve the black level?

Thanks for any info.

P.S. Anyone any idea how to call up the PF9966 service menu?

2. lemke

lemke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Enable the Service menu like this:

press the following buttons on the remote: 062596 and the info button I+

Thats all.
    Would surely like to know more about all those settings ... to fine tune or callibrate my plasma.

THanks.
    Lem

3. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Afraid the luminous blacks are a feature of the technology behind your Philips display. The glass is made by Hitachi/fujitsu, who do seem to manage this a bit better, perhaps they know thier own product? Philips are the subject of much dissatisfaction on this forum, though they do have a few staunch friends. So, no cure I'm sorry to say. You learn to live with it or send it back if you still can. Philips themselves have tacitly admitted there is a problem, the ambilight is designed to increase the apparent black level, it just dazzles you a bit.