1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips Pf9955 do i buy ????????

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by minijay, Aug 17, 2003.

1. minijay

minijay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    help me please :confused:

ive been looking at plasmas for the past few weeks and now me head is beggining to hurt.

one min one is good then you find all the problems with it.

this site has been fantastic by the way really helped.

back to my problem ive noticed else where other people have said about the philips pf9955 thats going for £2999.00 tv, tuner speakers etc all included even get the wall mount

im stuck in deciding if i will like it or not......:rolleyes:

ive narrowed it down i think was going to go for the lg one with the free lcd tv but realised that was just stupid...

basically i need a tv with a seperate tuner to keep the wiring to the tv neat. need about 3 scart sockets 1, sky+ 2, dvd 3, ps2 if i ever use it.....
    also has to be able to support ntsc for the chipped dvd player.

ive got £3000 to spend cant really go over that.

ive looked at this site and so far this model hasnt been talked about.

would i like it or is it advisable to stear clear generally speaking. i know its my choice and not anyone elses.

ive heard some reviews for the hitachi 42pd3000 and 400e only consern is the noisy fan problem. dont know about the philips.

could some one stear me in the right direction. have seen pictures of the pioner and pansonics they are either over my budget, dont look like what im after (cosmetic) or dont come with a tuner.

this tv must be wall mountable this i still need to work out as i have a plaster board wall like no other. this wall is about 6 layers of plaster board and thats it. which i find hard to belive.

could any one give me the pros and cons of either etc.

have only seen the philips in the shop not on. but it looks nice.

any help would be great dying to buy this tv. only have 5 days to wait so i better get a move on lol.

thanks in adavance
    jay

2. minijay

minijay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    just another note. dont care about the hdtv wont be around for a while and ill probably have got bored with this one by then....

jay

3. loonatic

loonatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    My only advice would be do not buy unless you have seen it working with similar sources to those that you will be using.

You really can't base your purchase on how it looks switched off nor on how it looks via a high-end dvd via progressive scan if you have a cheaper dvd via scart.

Also remeber how much time you will spend watching Sky as opposed to dvd's and make sure you see the thing running with either sky or freeview.

Don't rush into it...take your time and view all you can.

Cheers, Lee

4. pixie

pixie
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi minijay,

I really would go and see one before buying, like loonatic says, you can't judge one and whether it's suitable without actually seeing the quality of picture it displays.

Looking at the leaflet for it, it lists 'fanless design' as one of it's selling points, so you shouldn't get any noise problems from it (my 9964 is quiet).

There's a link to the leaflet from Philips press release below:

http://www.press.ce.philips.com/press/pre-ifa/20030611_482.html

Hope this helps,
    pixie

5. minijay

minijay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for the advise guys

pixie. as far as i am aware its a 9955 at comet not the 9965 as listed in the catalog. would there be alot of difference between the two.

as far as i can tell the 9964 has had trouble wiv green dots and the pixel plus was thought to be a gimick and a reason to put the price up. im not quoting but just what ive read and the understanding i got.

i can only see the philips in my area none of the other brands are listed anywhere near me.

i liked the deal of the philips less hassle but like you both say i must see it working.

i have a toshiba dvd drive 3109 i think wiv twin dvd tray. not sure if this is progressive or not. has loads of ports s vhs ( i think) composite (phono) video and the scart which i have a full 21pin cable attached gold of course.:)

just tired of waiting now... want it badly but dont want to make a mistake.

has anyone seen the philips working the 9955 that is. any views on what to look for on it.

thanks again guys really has been a help this site. learnt alot so far my head is swelling wiv information.

also this tv has 852X480 pixel resolution. is this bad or ok. obviously not as good as 1024X1024 but is it c**p to watch basically. :confused:

6. chrise

chrise

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    Minijay

John Lewis stores usually have three or four of the TV type plasmas on display-Sony Philips, Hitachi etc. They will price match other shops (not internet deals) and throw in a 5 year warranty. I bought the Hitachi which does not have a fan.

Like you I use a RGB scart on a DVD player so make sure you see screens connected this way. But also look at off air pictures but remember most shops have crap reception or from Sky if you use that.

Cuurys/Comet are an absolute pain when asked to demo kit in my experience. The guy I had at JL was very helpful and reasonably knowledgable. YMMV

7. minijay

minijay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi chrise

thanks for the reply and advise.

dont have a jl too close to me but there is one about 20 mins away. will go have a look at the weekend i think.

2 questions

1. which hitachi did you go for and whats it like (obviously good you brought it lol)

2. how long did it take for you to recieve the tv after you brought it

thanks
    jay

8. pixie

pixie
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi minijay,

I'm not sure of all the differences between the 9955 and 9965, but there are links to the leaflets for both of these at the bottom of the press release link on my earlier posting...

The 9964 doesn't have the green dot problem that's been reported with Pixel Plus on Philips plasmas, as the 9964 doesn't have Pixel Plus (this is on the 9965). From looking at the leaflet, it looks as though the 9955 doesn't have Pixel Plus either, so the green dot problem shouldn't be an issue with this screen.

I'm not really sure what to say about the resolution issue, it's been covered in other threads and seems to be dependent on the resolution of the input signal as to which would be best suited (I think that's the gist of it, but my understanding is flaky at best! :rolleyes: ). But if you do decide that you want a higher resolution, then the 42PF9964 is supposed to be 1024x1024.

http://www.p4c.philips.com/files/4/42pf9964_12s/42pf9964_12s_pss_eng.pdf

I've been really pleased with my 9964 (32"), which I bought from John Lewis. It took them around a week to deliver it, so I didn't have to wait too long!

Hope this helps,
    pixie

9. minijay

minijay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi pixie

:blush: sorry bout that mistake i meant the 9965 ooops

i finally got the leaflets to work. i have the new version of acrobat and it was telling me the leaflets were corupt so i just downloaded the (save target as) now they work fine. just another problem wiv the pc to add to the list. lol

looking at your link there isnt to much of a diference between the two (9964 and 9955) one thing i dont really like about the 64 is the integrated speakers. not really a problem but i prefer the thin border all around the tv (stupid i know).

yours seems to be high definition does this make any difference to you.

what made you decide on the philips if you dont mind me asking.

thanks again.

10. chrise

chrise

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    I got the 42PD3000 which took aout 10 days to appear..

11. minijay

minijay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi chrise

thanks for the reply.

i realise now i aint going to be able to pick it up in less than 5 days anywhere. bit of a pain really dying to get my hands on a plasma now.

been thinking bout it for over a year and only really started to look around 2 weeks ago.

i get the money in around 5 days so am dying to set myself to a model and get it ready.

chrise or pixie do you have any extra convertors on your screens to help with anything at all.

chrise what resolution is your tv. the one im looking at has a 852x480 res and was interested if yours was the same or if you seen one at this res and noticed any difference with the higher one.

thanks again peeps really are helping.

definatly going to be a hitachi or a philips just got to decide on which, so far the philips looks appealing but yet have to see it working.

going to give comet a hard time tomorow and make sure i get a full screen test. :laugh:

cheers for the help yet again cant thank you all enough
    jay

12. pixie

pixie
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi minijay,

No problem! Here's why I chose the Philips...

• I needed a screen that was 37" or less, 37" being the absolute maximum for the space that it was going in.

I was also looking for a screen that had sound and a tuner box (although I was prepared to purchase these as optional extras if needed).

I wanted a screen that could give good picture quality.

I also wanted dual-tuner capability, so that we could play on Xbox whilst someone still watched the TV. And good connectivity so that I didn't have to swap cables.

I also wanted something that would fit into my front room, and not look / feel as though it was a piece of office equipment.

I can't really say if 'high definition' makes any difference to my panel or not, as I'm not actually sure what it would lose if it wasn't there... :confused:

I don't have any extra converters on the screen, as I wanted something that I could just plug in and watch straight away.

Hope this helps,
    pixie

13. minijay

minijay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi pixie

yes this helps a great deal.

i dont really have a space limitation. more after size than anything.

i also like the connectivity with this tv. has four scart sockets which is great for my system as it is plus a whole host of other ports to confuse the hell outta me if i get it...

so far ive been told the resolution of the tv shouldnt be a problem for me and the more i read about the tv the more i like it. (still havnt seen it workin) will have to get a full screen test before i agree on a sale.

also i notice your tv has a mosaic feature and the 9955 although doesnt boast about it does actually list it under the specs. is this what you use as picture in picture or side by side on your tv or is this another option you have. think it says somewhere about having 8 different screens all at the same time. cant really see much point to it.

as far as i remember the 9955 has the side by side option but only the tv channel you are watching and the text for that channel may be wrong but dont think i would use it all that much either way....

well thanks again for the advise really is begining to make sense now....

gonna find a good dvd to take to comet and go annoy the sales staff. there gonna have to earn there money i think....

jay.

14. minijay

minijay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi all

went to comet to look at the plasmas.

looked at the philips 42pf9955 like i wanted and after 30 mins i had to go track down a sales person that would actually serve me.

obviously i dont look the sort to have 3000 laying around for a tv.

after finally getting the guy to turn it on and find a station that was tuned. i quickly got rid of him to go check stock and began to play.

the on digital feed was perfect no flickers no jumping around and no grain. just perfect and he admited the signal was crap as it was off one aerial and 50 tvs connected to it.

i then tested a dvd. only region 2 i could find off hand was matrix.
    played the first few scenes and black was black not grey it wasnt to dark and it sat there playing the dvd sweet as a nut.

looked at the lg and the panasonic that was in there and didnt like what i saw. the panasonic wasnt bad but more out of my price range.

also had a look at the 30" lcd philps make with pixel plus. looked great from the other side of the store it was so bright. when i played the matrix on it any action scences left dots behind and when a picture paused for a few seconds all the images went blockie. put me right off.

oh well thats my 2 pennies worth.

thanks for all the help. its been a real eye opener
    jay :clap:

15. pixie

pixie
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi Minijay,

Glad the viewing went well!

One thing to check on the plasma, is how many of the scart sockets are full wired RGB. On mine, only two of the 4 scarts can accept an RGB input, the other two are just composite (listed as CVBS-in).

I don't use the mosaic feature on my plasma, it's the 2 tuner / dual screen that I use, as it can display the signals from two different inputs side by side. The sound for the second input can be heard by using headphones plugged into the e-box.

Good luck if you decide to make a purchase! :D
    pixie

16. minijay

minijay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi

made the purchase. had to be done in my eyes.

just got to wait for it now. hopefully it will come early next week but my luck being the way it is means it will no doubt be delivered on friday in bits or something....

as i remember i to have 2 full rgb and the rest is composite

dont think this should be a problem as the sky and dvd will go in the 2 rgb's and the playstation 2 can go in the composite. i rarely use it anyway. just would be nice to have it connected.

if all else fails there are phono sockets that could be used for it.

now ive just got to sit here and twiddle my thumbs till it turns up.
    got all the fixings today for the wall mount. some nice hammer in plugs for the plaster board.

apparently they can holld 100kg each with a 50kg pull out threshold. so 8 of these should do the trick....

my plaster board wall consists of about 5 sheets all stuck together at different stages to form one huge sheet. no wood battens as far as i can tell. i have a tester now so will give the wall a sweep to find then if they exist. :laugh:

i dont have dual tuner on mine. but as i only use sky it would really be much use to me as i wouldnt get another channel either way. plus if i was watching a dvd i would use the whole screen.

anyway thanks for your help fingers crossed the delivery is soon and i dont have any probs with the screen

will post a message when it arrives

jay

17. pixie

pixie
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi minijay,

Good luck with the delivery - hope it arrives safely! :)

Hope that the wall mounting goes well - we haven't wall mounted ours as above the fireplace was the only practical place, but it felt way too high! So we bought the 'sword' looking stand to go with it instead and it sits on the floor (yes - I know most people would consider it odd on the floor, but our sofa's are very low, so it works really well! :D ).

Hope it all goes ok,
    pixie

18. minijay

minijay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi

i dunno floor aint that bad.

i hate seeing wiresso on the floor would mean no tv cabnet which in turn means no boxes to look at.

bet it looks good.. i considered floor or cabnet mounting but felt i wouldnt gain anything over the old tv. and at the base of the bed would be much better when watching films with the surround sound up. will get a true center speaker now as apposed to one dead in front and the tv off to the right.

bit disappointed they couldnt deliver saturday so have to wait till tuesday now :(

but on the other hand it gives me all weekend to extend cables and put up shelfs ready for it.

also got the monday to decide which dvd to watch first i have so many and tonnes that would look great on a huge tv im lost for choice.

either way this weekend will drag.

ill post a reply once i recieve it fingers crossed i get tuesday off to spend the day playing ( if it arrives early of course )

also quick question your tv specs you posted below said the tv comes with a 2m and 5m vga cable and a 10m was an option i have this 2.
    was one for a pc connection or could you bolt them both together to make a 7m cable.
    i will need about 5 - 7 meters i think so if this is not the case i can order a cable to make the connection before it arrives....

cheers mate
    jay

19. hotrod

hotrod
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    minijay - i would be very interested if you could post your opinion of this plasma asap (when you get it obviously) because i am about to purchase one and have seen it in action but was slightly miffed about the picture because comet had "catch me if you can" on demo but it seemed to me as the scart lead was only composite not rgb and was slightly fuzzy. As these employees know next to nothing about the product they are selling he told me a scart lead was the best connection, and this obviously wasn't a proper rgb scart lead. I would be quite interested in your opinion and is it a crystal clear picture as i would expect it to be.

cheers

rod

20. pixie

pixie
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi minijay,

The cables both have male vga connectors at both ends, so I suppose the only way to connect them would be with a vga gender changer.

But, there are also the left/right audio connectors too, I'm not sure what you'd use to connect those as they're male connectors at both ends too. It may be that your cables don't have these included though, as there are no speakers on the plasma panel. :confused:

Sounds like you've got a weekend full of diy!! :D

pixie

21. minijay

minijay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hello

right ok. this clears a problem up. yes ive seen the audio cables on the show model at comet. so i assume this it to extract audio to my amplifier or from the e box dunno didnt look that far.

looks like i may have to make my own cable now this could be fun. or like you say just use gender changers. the audio plugs also have gender changers. i really would like to use a single cable to minimise degrading signals.

this may be difficult because of the audio ends. obviously will need a cable that has more than 15 wires to cover the extra 4 for the audio. oh well back to the maplin website. it wont beat me....

i was just thinking of all the work i have to do. does look like a busy weekend thank god its a bank holiday, extra time.

im assuming the audio leads that come out of your vga cable are quite thick. maybe i will run a seperate audio cable and tie the two together. its all going in trunking anyway.

thanks again
    jay

22. hotrod

hotrod
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No scrap that question just seen the other post:rolleyes:

23. minijay

minijay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi all

i finally got my tv. its on the wall. (v heavy)

been playing wiv it all nite. love it. been watching how clear dvds are on it. blacks are black and the picture is very smooth.

well chuffed !!!!.

:clap: jay :clap:

24. pixie

pixie
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi jay,

Glad that it's all gone smoothly and everything is looking great! :D

pixie

25. nealgs

nealgs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi minijay,

Would love to see some pictures if possible.

We are hopefully looking at getting a Plasma ourselves to replace our current TV and hopefully free up some space :)

Difficult thing i've found is trying to get a good side by side demo of units. I'm new to the plasma stuff and for what you pay what everything right first time.

Not sure if this forum is of help:devil: or just out to completely confuse the hell our of us :devil: (only kidding folks) but after reading posts about problems and getting JS converters and other stuff, my heads spinning

regards
    Gary

26. minijay

minijay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi there nealgs

i was exactly the same mate. i found this site and read the whole thing one weekend. i had already seen the model i liked before i even found this site. was really looking for a bad review on it. didnt even get a review. :(

the thing i found hard was finding all the models these guys were on about. in the end i only got to see the panasonic and didnt like that because it meant running lots of scart leads in to the bottom.
    i found that these sorts of models people were buying converters etc.

in the end i went and looked at the tv i liked and used the advice i was given. go check it out yourself forget about what other people have said about the model. but bear in mind there points.
    take a good dvd with you and test it out in store.

i went to comet (sorry guys dont have a fancy visual store near me) finally got a guy to come help me. made him turn it on and basically told him to disappear. i hate hard selling. i know what the tv does i got the specs of the internet. i want to see it for myself.
    basically looked for imperfections in the screen etc. also watched a bit of on digital on it and it was perfect. took alook at how it was wired too. sometimes they use rubbish connections.

was very happy with what i saw and then promptly went home and brought it over the internet from comet (well there sales staff didnt help me) i liked the tv because the picture was good and everything came with it. i got a wall mount, a desktop stand, tuner box, seperate speaker pack and all the cables to connect. as for js convertors dont really see that i need one. it mau make my picture even better but i cant really see that.

i watch films now and there is so much more depth to them. its hard to explain but they look more real life than before. typicall example would be a film thats like a documentary with the single camera that pans back a forth the cast and the picture looks less hollywood. think thats about right.

best thing you can do is take a look at each model and look for what you dislike. inc fan noise and buzzing these seem to be the main problems. my tv is fanless and does not buzz touch wood. either that or im death with all the loud movies im watching, who knows.....

good luck in your quest it is worth the time and effort before shelling out the dolla.

let us know how you get on.
    jay