1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips PF9946 vs LG RX42 PX11

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Michelle1965, Feb 26, 2005.

1. Michelle1965

Michelle1965

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :hiya:

I went into Comet today and looked at both these two Plasmas (42") the LG looked better picture wise than the Philips, but Philips had the edge because it comes with a DVD, and a £600 sound system.

One or two things are concerning me, because the picture came through an Analogue ariel, the rep in the shop assured me that when it was set up at home on NTL Digital, the picture quality would be far more superior than the LG, is he right ?:rolleyes:

With this expensive 5 in 1 sound system will it sound at its best through the Philips TV? Also when watching a DVD will the quality be as good as a more expensive TV?

My main usage and purpose, is for a TV/DVD and a real good sound from the music surround.

Please reply asap as the deal is coming to an end shortly, and i am concerned this deal might not be as good as it seems.

Thank you in advance

Michelle :clap:

2. Michelle1965

Michelle1965

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, Can no one help me on this question, I really need advice as i have spent weeks reading reviews on here, but still dont know which Plasma to buy......I will be very sad if i dont get a reply from the experts, thanks.

Michelle.

3. superpixel

superpixel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I checked out this LG to see what all the fuss was about - I wasn't impressed in the slightest, and I would have the Philips on overall picture quality any day. I am very surprised you thought the opposite.

The only thing the LG does better is dark scene detail (as does the 2004 Samsung screen): but this achieved only by making everything green, which is hardly a good compromise.

PS be wary of the deals - you can get both TVs at £1400-£1500 anyway (from reputable, bricks and mortar shops).

4. PSD

PSD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110
    Hi Michelle,

I have just bought the LG and with with my Pioneer 575A DVD player connected via component and progressive scan the picture is stunning. Check out this months Home Cinema Choice and What Home Cinema they both review the LG and give it a big thumbs up from a price/performance perspective.

I got the LG from John Lewis Sheffield on a price match for 1414.49 with a free 5 year warantee!! The warantee alone is worth £400..

To be honest I had the same problem as you in terms of the setup in most high street stores i.e. standard aerial connections!! so it is hard to make a decision based on terrible picture quality...

Best of luck with your choice.

Paul

5. OkUThinkOfAName

OkUThinkOfAName
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I have been comparing these two TVs for sometime trying to decide which to buy. I have come to the conclusion that the Phlips has by far the better picture. The LG looked good until I saw a closeup of someones face which looked appalling[ the picture that is, not her face :) ], then I started to notice other problems with it.

I even prefer the Philips over Pioneer and Hitachi which I was considering and given that I can get the Philips for £1500-£1600 there really is no contest.