1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips PF7520D/10 is there a catch?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by Faust, Aug 6, 2005.

1. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Now I know Jimsan may be the one to answer this query, but has anyone auditioned the Philips 32PF7520D/10? After having finally decided that I was going to choose Panasonic - first choice 37" Veira Plasma 500 closely followed by the 32" 500 series LCD, I have been in Comet today simply to measure both units to see which one will best suit our lounge. I was about to leave the store after completing the measurements when three LCDs caught my eye. The sets in question were the Philips 9986 ambilight and the 32" and 37" PF7520D models. Now believe me it's not often I say this about LCD's but I was blown away by the picture quality of all three. Someone in Comet had obviously taken a bit of time in setting these three sets up. Viewed from around 6 to 8 feet away the pictures were the best I have ever seen, and I really could not put a pin between the PQ of the 32" 9986 and the 32" 7520, with the 37" only fractionally behind. I tell you my hand was shaking on my wallet, £1399 for the 32" and £1499 for the 37". As I do not intend to wall mount my panel I think Ambilight is a bit wasted, especially given the price difference £1999 for the 9986. What if anything is the catch with the 7520D/10?

2. nnicol

nnicol

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Is that really you Faust? Are you being serious or having a laugh with us? I can't believe what I just read. I didn't notice it was you till I read the post then had a double take. Are you feeling OK!! :D
    After all you searching you may have finally made a decision, and it being one of the sets you have already tried at home, the 9986. An LCD at that. Not sure on the differences but the Philips website will help the tech specs of these sets. :thumbsup:

3. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    I tell you nnicol it is true, I had to ask the wife to slap my face to see if I was still alive and had not passed over to the other side, or at the very least become delirious, but the PQ on the Philips PF7520D/10 was absolutely stunningly good. Comet had the Philips 32" PF7520D/10 on one side with the 9986 in the middle and the Philips 37" PF7520D/10 on the other side, and I could not put a pin between all three on PQ. I have had the 9986 on test and I always said that it was pretty good, but very pricey. However, this latest model (with integrated Freeview tuner) is a much better proposition, looks good too. I don't think Ambilght come into its own unless you wall mount it anyway. My head tells me to buy the Panny but my heart says the Philips. I'm still not sure whether to go for 32" or 37", to late to change your mind once you get it home.

4. nnicol

nnicol

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Go for the 37" if you can fit it in your lounge and view from a sensible distance. I got the 32" because it was the biggest I could fit in my room for the viewing distance. What were they showing that looked so good? It does show you though that these sets can produce wonderfull pictures. Hope you make that purchase soon.

5. Llanowar

Llanowar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would have gone for this philips if i would have chosen now instead of the jvc, cause i just love the way the philips does analogue (and maybe i can even get used to pixel plus...cause it makes the picture great, but with unnatural movement). I also really like the design of these new philips.

But like i've already told you before: lcd is better on higher material than plasma's, without a single doubt. I've just watched another movie on analogue on my lcd, went upstairs and watched the ending of the movie on my crt, and i could actually see the resolution on the crt (or whatever you call it on a crt) and the skin was so much less smooth and detailed....

Good material > Lcd's are stunning
    Bad material > Lcd's look worse or even crap (depending on model)

6. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Bog standard Freeview is what they were showing, fed to all three sets, crazy I know, but as I say pretty hard to fault. These sets look much smaller than the current crop of models as well, mainly I think because the stand is much smaller and the chassis has been really slimmed down giving an overall sleeker t.v. As I sit typing I am torn between the Philips the Panasonic and the JVC. What I am trying to wangle is that if I buy the 32" and get it home then find it is to small, that I can immediately return it for a 37", I don't even need to switch it on to know whether or not it will fit comfortably in my lounge

7. scrapbook

scrapbook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +527
    When I was making a similar decision I got a number of blank A4 paper and stuck them all together to match the heigh and width of the panel I was interested in. :D

8. nnicol

nnicol

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    If you were that impressed with the picture quality and it was better than the others, go for the Philips. Good idea to make a template and put it in place were the set will be. I think you credit card is warming up to come out of your wallet!

9. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    It's like Blue Peter in our house at present. I have cut three large pieces of cardboard to size and with the aid of some blue tack or sticky back plastic I will be sticking them to the front of our present setup tonight to try to judge which fits best. On paper at least the one that takes up the least room is the latest Tosh LCD's, they have a really slim bezel, although don't know much about PQ on these particular models.

10. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,017
    heh, I did that. Worked out a 42" was too big, so went with a 30" philips. Love the picture from sky digital through Tivo - the philips does an amazing job of scaling it up.

I think this one you mention is a philips budget panel though? So no pixel plus? Interesting it still looks good. I might be looking for a replacement as my panel doesn't do 720p - I'm assuming these are 'HD ready'?

edit: Just checked. The 5520 is the one without pixel plus - and looking at comet, thats the 37" you saw - what was the picture on that like?

The 7250 has pixel plus (probably version 1)

But crappy connectivity - 1 scart, no HDMI (have to use a DVI adapter), no component connections (over VGA?)

11. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Pixel Plus, but not PP2, two scarts one RGB, S Video, and DVI, as you say no componet which is a disappointment and a slight worry. The 37" 5520 was extraordinarily good, as I said before, it ran a very close second to the 32" models. I've got cardboard templates all over the house at present.

12. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,017
    Hmm, might need to check out the 37" 5520. Although I *really* like PP on my 9975, and therefore I might notice a drop off in SD quality from sky, you probably only need a simple panel for digitally fed HD stuff.

13. nnicol

nnicol

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    So Faust, are you off to the shops this weekend to make a purchase and what have you decided on after playing with your cardboard all week?

14. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    I was going to go to the shops this weekend - I think 37" looks the favourite. However, after reading how many new models are just about to hit the shelves in the next few weeks I have decided to play the waiting game just that bit longer. Check out the post on this very subject which I wrote yesterday. http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=234499