Philips/Pace HDT 8520 HD-PVR Master thread inc. Bug and Issues List [Part One]

Status
Not open for further replies.

E Shaw

Novice Member
Hmmmm I d/l the update late last night but didnt have time to installit ,maybe fortunate.

Does the sound breakup affect HD recordings as well ?

After installing the update did anyone do a factory reset ?

Would be instersting to see if Philips post a "fix list" , If FIX is the right word to use :mad:

Damian1978

I reset, formatted and unplugged. Still borked!!

mike.cloaked

I reset, formatted and unplugged. Still borked!!

On our box after the update there is no problem with sound at all - either on SD or HD channels.... we just have sound coming via HDMI to the TV - no additional sound system. However there is no stuttering or sound breakup on ours.

The EPG has the channel number next to the name of channels which is quite useful. Also when an HD channel is set to record on the EPG its programme rectangle is highlighted in red, and the matching programme on the SD channel has the outline only of that programme outlined in red - will see if this means that only the HD one gets recorded or both... hopefully only the HD one.

Will report other issues as we find them.

Damian1978

After leaving it unplugged for a bit last night it seems fine today.

Not too sure if the picture seems a tad better too.

E Shaw

Novice Member
I have now installed the update with some trepidation :rolleyes:

However I dont appear to have any issue with sound break up both on live and recordings (both HD) but early days yet (fingers crossed)

Did note the new option to delete folders

A new icon identifying recordings not yet viewed

Channel number now listed in the EPG

Also a curious one, the option to read from USB, when I press this option it states "no disk mounted" , are we getting the option to add an external HDD to back up SD recordings too :thumbsup:

Please please Philips post a fix list please

I just hope my biggest bugbear is that it no longer records duplicates, will see how it goes and report back.

Phildick

If you are using a favorites list the nice helpful message that tells you there is a matching HD simulcast manages to switch you back to the default channels list.

E Shaw

Novice Member
A nice person from Philips told me it was completely fixed in this version.

Oh lets hope so :smashin:

Just had a bit of a "DOH" moment, was messing around with the folders and didnt realise you need to highlight the recording in the folder before deleting it otherwise it clears the whole lot !

Not sure what to say when the better half wants to watch Nigella kitchen and I have just deleted the whole lot :eek:

Damian1978

Plays .mp3 and .jpg files via USB now. Not got it to recognise any video.

E Shaw

Novice Member
Spoke too soon

Got a sound stutter on BBC HD "The Apprentice Final Five" and I can also see on my av reciever, the source "pcm" light flickering on and off :mad:

mike.cloaked

Spoke too soon

Got a sound stutter on BBC HD "The Apprentice Final Five" and I can also see on my av reciever, the source "pcm" light flickering on and off :mad:

Watching A Touch of Frost on ITV HD this evening whilst recording another channel there was considerable stutter on the sound at various times during the program - this is for standard sound through to the TV via HDMI - and there has never been a sound problem since having the set when it was first available at release.

I have reported this to Philips suggesting that replacement software be made available as soon as possible to rectify this fault - and also asked for a change log of the changes made in version 6.20 - will see what the reply is in the next day or so.:mad: So yes I spoke too soon about no sound problems too!

E Shaw

Novice Member
Now got a stutter on all HD channels and some SD channels although not as bad as HD but it is there.

Ive too have contacted Philips advising of this, I would suggest everyone else does the same

How Philips/Pace testers let this one through is beyond belief :mad:

Last edited:

Nigel786

Standard Member
Same here, stuttering audio via standard HDMI TV connection. Have emailed Philips as suggested above. Apart from that the smaller text in the EPG is an improvement; but the new firmware has brought about a more fundermental fault.
Suggest others don't upgrade until this is fixed.

P.S. Has anyone tried a factory reset to resolve the problem?

Phildick

Ive had mine since June, I wonder what JL's return policy is after the first 30days :(

I think it's defective now so it can be returned. I know people have taken them back to Comet way outside of the 30 day limit.

Last edited:

Damian1978

Hmmm...I got mine new off an eBay seller clearance. Guess I'll be keeping it. Glad it was only £165! They may get the software a bit better. Just glad it's not my main recorder!

Phildick

Oh lets hope so :smashin:

Just had a bit of a "DOH" moment, was messing around with the folders and didnt realise you need to highlight the recording in the folder before deleting it otherwise it clears the whole lot !

Yes be careful with this. I have just deleted a whole folder. Its poor design really, you have to select the ones you want to delete or it deletes the lot!

professorhat

Ive had mine since June, I wonder what JL's return policy is after the first 30days :(

They were okay switching mine to the Digital Stream back in August after owning it for 3 months because it wasn't fit for purpose back then. Sounds like it's even worse now :thumbsdow

JeffD

I'm surprised anyone is persevering with this heap of junk, best thing I ever did was get John Lewis to swap it for the Digital Stream. Why bother with something that doesn't work as it should when you can get a fully working HD PVR for £199 :confused:

Phildick

I'm surprised anyone is persevering with this heap of junk, best thing I ever did was get John Lewis to swap it for the Digital Stream. Why bother with something that doesn't work as it should when you can get a fully working HD PVR for £199 :confused:

The main issue for me is the loss of all the unwatched recordings.

E Shaw

Novice Member
Got a reply from Philips re the stuttering

"The issue you've reported is a known issue and is currently being worked on by the Pace developers. There isn't a specific date yet for when these issues will be resolved, but we're expecting to hear an update soon. In the meantime, thanks to reports such as yours, the update has been removed from the website.
If I could please advise you not to try and ‘downgrade' the unit as this can cause further issues and will wipe everything you've recorded."

Oh joy :( , I guess we are now Beta testers as well

Also just checked and the 6.20 update is till available to download !!!

Last edited:

mike.cloaked

Same here, stuttering audio via standard HDMI TV connection. Have emailed Philips as suggested above. Apart from that the smaller text in the EPG is an improvement; but the new firmware has brought about a more fundermental fault.
Suggest others don't upgrade until this is fixed.

P.S. Has anyone tried a factory reset to resolve the problem?

I have had a very helpful reply from Philips about the update so I will quote below:

"Thank you for your recent Email regarding the latest update to the HDT8520.

This is an issue which the Pace developers are aware of and working on to resolve, in the meantime we’re in the process of removing that update from the website so that others aren’t affected by this issue. We’ve not heard a date for when the new update will be downloadable but we’re expecting to hear news very soon. In the meantime all we can do is thank you for your patience.

Oh and can I advise you please not to try to ‘downgrade’ your software to the previous version just yet. The new update should be out very soon though it’ll still be inconvenient while waiting I’m afraid, however downgrading will definitely delete all of your recording and could well cause further issues.

As to the difference between 6.20 and 5.15, aside from this (big!) audio issue, it’s actually pretty great!

It’s added multi-network support, a USB media player, channel numbers in the EPG (Electronic Programme Guide), a manual timer for recording, an indicator to show when recordings have yet to be watched or not and, finally, a prettier EPG in HD. It also resolved the issue with duplicate recordings issue, rewinding and pausing live TV is more stable and the red ‘record’ light at the front of the HDT8520 works consistently now.

There was also a new feature added that allows people to delete multiple recordings from their library at once, however there has been an issue discovered with that too so we’d advise not to delete anything for now.

I hope this information is of use but please don’t hesitate to contact me if you have any further queries. Thank you again for your patience in this matter.

Kindest Regards,"

So it does look like anyone who has upgraded should simply wait for the fixed software which hopefully will not be long....:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Anthem AVM 70 Review, EQing Your Home Cinema Sound System and More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Sky bringing Apple TV+ to Sky Glass and Sky Q customers
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 27th October 2021
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Linn unveils latest Klimax LP12 flagship turntable
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Samsung Tizen plans include cloud gaming for smart TVs