1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips P+ 9617: Sound dramatically changed for the worse after 6 months..

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by digitalsauce, Jun 24, 2003.

1. digitalsauce

digitalsauce
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    This is a curious problem and one that is almost driving me insane .. so if anyone else heard this problem mentioned in the forums before ( and I have searched.. ) then please let me know.

Basically I have a Philips 9617 .. I’ve already made a number of posts a few months ago on the “black bar” issue and three replacement sets later decided that there was little to be done than put up with the bar issue.. the set in almost all other respects was fine.

Fast forward a few months later.. then notice when the set is switched on one day last week that the “sound” of the set seems drastically different than it ever was before. The quality of the sound seems as though there is a digital-effect almost stuck on as default .. as though the sound is coming from a hall, but not quite as emphatic as the digital-setting would have it.

No matter what action is performed: resetting the TV back to factory-defaults or toggling through the various digital-sound-settings, altering the treble, bass, surround-settings, etc.. the sound of the set is completely and utterly different to what it has been since it was received. This has culminated in losing any enjoyment in watching the set because of the drastic change in sound..

If anyone has any useful information that would allow me to actually check to see if the set has somehow changed its internal defaults, settings.. or even damaged something internally then great.

The one thing that concerns me is getting an engineer down and because would be a waste of time because they see so many sets all with differing sound setups and would not be able to do a proper comparison *unless* it was against another 9617..

Oh.. and if anyone has the key-press to get the “Customer Service” menu up on the 9617 that is a “view only” screen; the one in which you press (I think) the “M” button on the top of the set whilst its switching on *and* a button on the remote.. do let me know [not to be confused with the more dangerous one..].

Thanks in advance..

2. sonofmoth

sonofmoth
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    have a look in the main 9617 thread, I think there's a link in there to a site that goes through the codes. I did have it as a link once but couldn't find it. Its a combination of keys on the remote - ie a numeric sequence etc.

3. sonofmoth

sonofmoth
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1