Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Philips or Toshiba?? Need help to decide.

Discussion in 'Philips TVs Forum' started by mikey2108, Dec 31, 2004.

Tags:
  1. mikey2108

mikey2108

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Guys
    I am new to the forum and this is my first post. At present I am really struggling to decide between the following 2 LCD csreens. The Philips 32PF9976 (priced at around the £1500 mark) or the Toshiba 32WL48 (£1260).

I already have an Philips DVDR 610 (with progressive scan), a Yamaha AV 50 home cinema kit and Sky+. Now initally I was leaning towards the philips but after having a good read through both specs there does not seem to be any real difference between the screens. If any thing the Toshiba may be slightly better as it has HDMI. I do not think the philips has this?

Can anybody help me to choose as I am really strugling, I like the philips as I know it will be quaility but I need to be able to justify the extra cost to the wife and at present I cannot really see a way of doing this! I will be mainly using the screen to watch SKY+ (football and sports) as well as watching movies via the dvd player.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Mike

2. WSB

WSB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I've been looking into this too with around 1500 to spend on a 32" lcd- I've decided to go with the tosh if that helps any- its had some very good reviews and the price of the phillips doesnt really warrant the extra cost. I'm a newbie at all this so about as far from an expert as you can imagine but I just thought i'd share what i've found on the subject.
    FYI- I've got a Sony DVD/Amp as well as an XBOX (the best gaming machine ever made). I may plug my PC into it too but havent really looked into that.

oh- and if anyone knows anywhere that actually has the tosh in stock then please let me know(!) :lease:

3. domtheone

domtheone
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,541
    Many John Lews stores have the Tosh in Stock. 84 items if memory serves me right!

Was in Nottingham John Lewis today and they didn't have any in :mad: despite there computer saying that the store had one!

Actually getting to see this tv in the flesh is like trying to find Elvis :mad:

4. mikey2108

mikey2108

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have had exactly the same problem! I am still to see the set in action which is detering me from buying it. I have however seen the Philips and must say I was impressed with the piture quaility.

5. scrapbook

scrapbook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +550
    I have seen them in JL Bluewater and JL Welwyn.

Must admit a bit of an anticlimax as the set up was all poo as normal - Waiting for Hi Spek to get some in as they always set them up propoerly, unless any forum members hertfordshire way can offer me a demo??!!
    Nice looking TV though. 5 starts in this months What Video & TV

6. domtheone

domtheone
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,541
    I think the Tosh looks very ordinary (not that looks are improtant though!) whereas the Phillips is growing on me.

Currys said they won't be stocking them either, not that that is a big loss! Could be a while b4 I get to see the Tosh as JL Nottingham didn't have a clue whether they would have one on demo in store or not.

Anyone live in Notts with a Tosh ;)

7. mikey2108

mikey2108

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just seen the review in What Hi Fi for the Tosh. Sounds good however they did slate the HDMI option saying that the piture quality is worse then the RGB or scart!! :mad: However overall they were very impressed with the screen. However my question still stands which screen is actually better? Does any one know if there is a review about for the Philips? I cannot find one any where.

8. Tentenths

Tentenths

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  9. domtheone

domtheone
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,541
    The Tosh was reviewed in another mag this monthas well. 5 stars i believe.

Can't find any reviews of the 9976 online, there all for it's big brother ;)

Have a look in WHS, Sure there was a Phillips for under 2K reviewed head to head against some other LCD's in one of the mags...