1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips or Pioneer

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by M.Joshi, Jun 30, 2005.

1. M.Joshi

M.Joshi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I am trying to decide between the following two DVD players:

Philips DVP630
    Pioneer DV-380

I cannot find (m)any reviews on the Pioneer model. Does anyone on this forum own it?

On a side note, what is the difference between the Pioneer DV-380 and DV-2850? Using the comparison feature on the Pioneer website, i could not find any difference at all other than cosmetic.

2. NX3

NX3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +332
    What features are important to you in either of the 2 players you have listed ?

3. giuliopan

giuliopan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There's no difference between the DV-380 and the DV-2850 except, as you say, the looks.

4. M.Joshi

M.Joshi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    As this will be our first DVD player, usability is important (I have heard that the remote on the Philips model is not designed very well) and features - Both have progressive scan output which is an advantage.

Reading other threads on this forum, it seems that not much is known about the Mediatek chips in the new Pioneer DVD players. A recent thread by Jeffamentrulez on the Philips DVP720SA rates it quite highly however, it is not listed on the Philips U.K website?

I have been told that the build quality of Philips DVD players is not as good as other brands such as Pioneer?

5. Sofa1

Sofa1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    you didn't say your priorities ( watching Divx, need subtitles, only DVD...), but however, I have Philips 632 ( which is the same as 630 only in black) and I'm more than satisfied so far. but, watch out. Philips has ESS vibrato II chip, so you can expect some Divx movies won't work. Sincerely, expect for a couple of Divx with Q-pel and GMC, everything else went smoothly and Philips read Packed bitstream without problems.

as for subtitles, if you need it, Philips is much more flexible. subtitles can be anywhere on the disc, and you can even read the sub from the other disc. simply put the disc with sub into Philips, press subtitle on remote, put the disc out, and then put the disc with movie, and voila, movie and sub went together!

as for DVD it reads practicaly everything, even some bad ones. as for remote control and don't know what do you mean by "not designed very well"? it is pretty ergonomical, with nice laid out and don't see any visible problem. as for build quality, maybe Pioneer is slightly better but Philips is also way better than the army of clone players as well.
    I hope it helps.

6. M.Joshi

M.Joshi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Thanks for that really useful reply.

I don't think I will be using DiVX initially anyway. What is Q-pel and GMC?

Is the ESS vibrato II chip generally better than the Mediatek chip?

It would be helpful if someone could comment on the Pioneer model too.

7. Sofa1

Sofa1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Q-pel and GMC are advanced features of Xvid codec which ESS doesn't support, but luckily there are few of them around in Divx movies. As every open source like Xvid it's hard to follow constant changes.

hard to say which is better, people are tend to say how Mediatek is better, but it has its own problems in some cases, so you have to check out with which one you have to live easily.

if DVDs are your main priority, be warned about multiregion. Philips is multiregion in the box, or can be hack with a few press of remote control, which is not the case with Pioneer. If Pioneer is not originally multiregion, it would be much harder to make it one.

8. NX3

NX3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +332
    Pioneers can be made multiregion by loading a firmware mod, using a PDA, or master remote. Or you buy them multiregion from e.g avland.co.uk

A lot if known about the mediatek chipset and its very good. The Philips 720SA is a the equivilent of the Pioneer 575, both are older models being replaced this year. The Pioneer 585 is a very new model replacing the 575.

"Is the ESS vibrato II chip generally better than the Mediatek chip?"
    The mediatek chip in the Pioneer 380/585 will be the latest iteration of the chip. Its feature list is more advance than the Vibrato2 but thats not saying the Philips is a bad machine.

IMO I'd get the Pioneer 380. The Pioneer 470/575 is highly rated players, not fussy about media and the firmware is very well understood hence so many mod versions about.

9. M.Joshi

M.Joshi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I understand that the Philips DVP630 is widely available multi-region for a good price however, if I purchase the Pioneer DV-380 and make it multi-region, will that invalidate the warranty?

Will I be able to play DVD-R and +R discs on both the models?

What additional features does the new Mediatek chipset have compared to the ESS vibrato II chip?

10. bcopping

bcopping

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    The philips will definately play -R's, i havent tested it with +R's yet though.