Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Philips On-Digital Set-top box problems

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by agw_01, Feb 16, 2003.

1. agw_01

agw_01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I recently recieved a Philips On-Digital Set-top box from a friend who I built a PC for a while back.

I was hoping to use this in my bedroom, as a replacement to the 5 terrestrial channels that I currently have.

The problem is that, the box comes on and works, but when I try to change channel, it doesn't work. It just stays on P1 (BBC1) no matter what I do.

Also, the remote doesn't do anything either. Even if I try and press the POWER button or press the Channel buttons when the box is in standby mode (turns the box on if I press the ones on the front of the box).

Does anyone know where I can download a manual for the box (model number : DTX 6371/05A) or does anyone have any suggestions.

Thanks

2. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +302
    This box was prone to locking up.I will *try* and get the reset procedure for you ( it may take a day or two though ).

Try : press the power button and at the same press the < >buttons this should reset your box . ( are the buttons Blue ?)

3. agw_01

agw_01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks. After posting the first message, I did a quick search of "DTX 6371" and found a couple of web pages with the words "CRAP", "LOCKS UP" and "WASTE OF TIME". :D

I will try the things you posted, but the power button on this box is one of those push-in buttons and not a normal switch (say, on a cheap ATX computer case or PS/2, hope you know what I mean).

Also, the buttons are all black. In order from left to right, they are... S < (DOWN) (UP) > M ...and if I hold down the M button while the box is in standby mode, it brings up an option on the display which says SA. If I press the > button it will change to SB.

Hope this is helpful.
    Thanks again.

4. agw_01

agw_01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have you had any luck finding the reset codes?

I tried pressing the < and > buttons, and AUTO UPDATE scrolled across the screen. After a few times, UPDATE ERROR scrolls across.

I think that I might have to have it plugged into the phone line so it can try updating, from the long gone OnDigital service :D

5. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +302
    It's almost certainly trying to recieve an update from 1tv digital unfortunately :eek: . The only other reset methods i can find involve tuning into one of the 1tv digi channels to start the proccess. Sorry.

6. Fernsehman

Fernsehman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm probably out by a mile but some Philips boxes use the front panel buttons like this to switch off the infra red remote sensor.

7. agw_01

agw_01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks lynx.

Do you know where I can get a manual for this box? I have tried looking around for one, but cannot find one.

Of course, without the remote, I don't think there is an easy way to tune channels in... which is why I need the manual.

Fernsehman, thanks :) I will try to mess with the buttons in a different set of sequences.

8. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +302
    If it helps CPC ( Preston ) can supply a new remote for this box for £12.19 +. My Pioneer needs the remote to get going again after it freezes up.
    Can you tell if your remote is actually sending a command to the box ?

9. scooby do

scooby do

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +84
    I have had a problem with Philips STB in that the buttons on the front don't do anything, I have spoke to some work friends and there's are the same! Phoned Philips and they reckon mine is a one off case. Anyone else got this problem

10. Fernsehman

Fernsehman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    These boxes usually have a ribbon connector between the front panel and the mother board. Make sure it's fully connected.

11. agw_01

agw_01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    lynx, I don't think the remote sensor is working at all, as I have tried changing the batteries and even 2 different remotes.

One was an ALL-FOR-ONE remote and the other one was the remote for my Yamaha amp, but it didn't seem to do anything.

The remote I have is one of those blue ones with the keyboard type thing when you open it up.

The funny thing is, is that this box worked fine before the previous owner put it away. When they got Sky Digital installed, they put this box away for about 3 months. When they tried it again, it didn't work.

12. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +302
    To establish IR output, look at it through a camcorder viewfinder, it will detect IR presence. ;)

13. agw_01

agw_01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ah cool, will try it :)

thanks

14. Fernsehman

Fernsehman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I feel invisible.

These boxes usually have a ribbon connector between the front panel and the mother board. Make sure it's fully connected.

It's quite common for it to come loose or get a bad connection through corrosion and that leads to a loss of some or all functions at the front panel.

So, to spell it out: unplug the box so you don't electrocute yourself. Remove the screws and take off the cover. Look inside for a flat ribbon connecting the front panel to the main board. Carefully check that it's pushed into its socket.

:)

15. scooby do

scooby do

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +84
    Already tried the ribbon but to no avail, Could it be a faulty batch as my work colleagues have the same problem and they received there boxes about the same time.