Philips OLED806 sound is buggy combined with Sonos ARC

I made a bug report and at their request I also collected logfiles on a USB stick at the time the sound disappeared, and shared those log-files with them. I have the hope that there are concrete error messages to be found in those files.

Even with eARC disabled and without the bypass option sometimes the sounds gets lost and a power-reset is necessary. Did you also made a bug-report at Philips?
Yes, I did and I also wrote an update to them as I did here (and to Bose as well). But the support answer until today is only generic (unplug all cables etc..). I also wrote a short review:

Yes, I did and I also wrote an update to them as I did here (and to Bose as well). But the support answer until today is only generic (unplug all cables etc..). I also wrote a short review:
Maybe you can mention this forum. If they really want to take this problem serious there is a lot of important information here to find for them.

Hey guys. I have been watching the 806 threads for some time as I am interested in the 856 and I have read all about the eARC problems the TV currently has.

I was going through some of Vincent's videos and I saw something interesting. In the photo below it shows an update for the Sony A90J and A80J they released back in June and if you look carefully in the photo one of the things they fixed was exactly the problem you have described the 806 has currently with the sound!

1.jpg

So the Sony TVs also had the same problem the 806 currently faces? And if yes, then there is hope that Philips can find a solution since Sony did fix that.

It's interesting because I didn't know Sony had the same weird problem with eARC. Is it the Mediatek SoC that is causing the problem then? Because this is the route of many problems these TVs have and I cannot imagine how the same problem could appear on two different manufacturers otherwise.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    205.2 KB · Views: 194
@Stratos K Well well we have an investigator right here. Great work!! 👍
Indeed it’s very weird that both brands has the same issue.

The problem for the moment is that Philips isn’t taking the eARC problem seriously. That’s what I understand from the communication with them.

But indeed it seems that it can be resolved. The only big question is WHEN? This TV is available for several months and still there are so many issues with it.

@Stratos K Well well we have an investigator right here. Great work!! 👍
Indeed it’s very weird that both brands has the same issue.

The problem for the moment is that Philips isn’t taking the eARC problem seriously. That’s what I understand from the communication with them.

But indeed it seems that it can be resolved. The only big question is WHEN? This TV is available for several months and still there are so many issues with it.

Thanks. To be honest I really like the 806/856 as it is the only OLED TV that offers HDR10+, Dolby Vision and DTS/DTS:X pass-through which I need (I want to connect my JVC Exofield headphones to it). So I was very disappointed reading all these problems to the point where I am also considering the A90J.

But it was out of luck that I found the above. The only thing that the Sony TVs and the 806 have in common is the Mediatek SoC with Android TV so seeing the exact same problem on both of them cannot be anything else.

Maybe if any of you guys have been in contact with any Philips technicians about the current problems you can point them to my finding. Maybe this will guide them better to find a solution faster.

Hey guys. I have been watching the 806 threads for some time as I am interested in the 856 and I have read all about the eARC problems the TV currently has.

I was going through some of Vincent's videos and I saw something interesting. In the photo below it shows an update for the Sony A90J and A80J they released back in June and if you look carefully in the photo one of the things they fixed was exactly the problem you have described the 806 has currently with the sound!

View attachment 1588972

So the Sony TVs also had the same problem the 806 currently faces? And if yes, then there is hope that Philips can find a solution since Sony did fix that.

It's interesting because I didn't know Sony had the same weird problem with eARC. Is it the Mediatek SoC that is causing the problem then? Because this is the route of many problems these TVs have and I cannot imagine how the same problem could appear on two different manufacturers otherwise.
this suggests that the problem is really because of Soc mediatek, because it costs the same as that of sony. There are no more options. Android TVs are built on the same Soc mediatek, the only difference is in the image processor, as well as in software algorithms.

Even with eARC disabled and without the bypass option sometimes the sounds gets lost and a power-reset is necessary. Did you also made a bug-report at Philips?
Today my sound was gone again (earc off, hdmi2 standard and bypass off). After a power reset the sound was restored (before I tried again serval different settings, but nothing else helped). I just reported again to Philips.

Is somebody else in the same situation? For me it seems to be necessary to do a power reset around every three days. That’s so annoying.

Hi. I found this forum because I have also noticed problems with the sound disappearing for some strange reason when I turn on the TV set.

I myself have a 706 combined with a Sonos ARC, Sub (3) and two One's. Furthermore an apple TV 4k (2021) and a TV-decoder (TV-box Telenet).The only thing that works is - as with others here - to unplug the TV set and reboot again. Hopefully there will be a solution to this bug, because this cannot be the right thing to do... and is particularly annoying!

I only got the television last week, but the phenomenon seems to be happening every 2 days.

Switching between eARC off and auto brings back the audio. Still not ok, yet easier/better than cutting off the power completely. If there is no sound and I unplug the ARC, I get sound via TV immediately. So it is definitely an eARC/HDMI 2.1 problem.

The fact that it (HDMI eARC) is set to 'off' by default is indeed strange, as was also mentioned earlier. Why should you be able to choose between these two options anyway?

Switching between eARC off and auto brings back the audio. Still not ok, yet easier/better than cutting off the power completely. If there is no sound and I unplug the ARC, I get sound via TV immediately. So it is definitely an eARC/HDMI 2.1 problem.

The fact that it (HDMI eARC) is set to 'off' by default is indeed strange, as was also mentioned earlier. Why should you be able to choose between these two options anyway?
Switching between earc off and auto works for me too since I get another firmware by Philips support. But the “fun” thing is that I get the switched signals problem between rear and front speakers now by using the bypass option an LPCM5.1 as described already by other users. That’s new to me and did not happen with TPM211EA_R.001.001.233.012 or the first firmware of the TV (sorry don’t know the version number anymore).

Just found this thread, and at least I’m glad that I’m not alone.

I have a brand new Philips 65” 4K OLED 650LED856 (I believe it’s just called an 856), a brand new Apple TV 4K (HDMI 1) and a brand new Sonos Arc (HDMI 2 eARC) with Sub and One SL’s as sorround speakers.

Sound is fantastic! Atmos signal detected in Sonos app and all is good.

Then I put the Apple TV to sleep, and when it wakes up again sound is gone! Just gone! No matter what I do - except turning eARC off and back on.

My solution (tested and it works for me): permanently turn off eARC and enjoy surround sound. And if I want to have Atmos sound, I’ll go in and turn on eARC on special occasions and watch movies from the built-in apps. Because Atoms on the Apple TV is bye-bye!

Is this an Android vs. Apple war that is being fought in the circuits of the TV??

Not impressed with Philips!

But thanks for all your insights.
Different item altogether. Is your tv stand dark chrome or normal bright chrome. My 550oled856 stand is normal bright chrome and I’m not sure if this is right.

Switching between earc off and auto works for me too since I get another firmware by Philips support. But the “fun” thing is that I get the switched signals problem between rear and front speakers now by using the bypass option an LPCM5.1 as described already by other users. That’s new to me and did not happen with TPM211EA_R.001.001.233.012 or the first firmware of the TV (sorry don’t know the version number anymore).
It’s so annoying - it only works with power reset of TV or soundbar (Bose Smart Soundbar 900) again. 😢

Hi!
I switched from the Bose Soundbar to the Sonos Beam v2. Changed all the hdmi cables. Reduced the setup to just TV and Soundbar. And it’s exactly the same problem. After starting TV in most cases there is no sound. Switching EARC off brings back the sound and I can switch back to auto setting. By pass option is still plain crazy - cause it switches sound channels.

Many issues above seem to need a power reset of pulling its plug…
… I found they had moved the Restart to Reboot in my 936, compared to my 9002, just hoping it’s there on your 806?

Take a look in Settings, Android settings, Device Preferences, at the bottom of this list is Reboot. Probably a better place for it, if there on an 806? I need this as the 936 also suffers from eARC needing Auto/Off toggling to get sound out of the TV to my AV Amp, no real pattern to it :-(

At least I have other HDMI sources so don’t need to rely on the TVs built in Apps, however, I’ve also had some weird issues, if interested its at:

Hi, I was wondering if anyone can help

I’m trying to connect a Sons Src to an 806 Oled

The arc is connected to my Sonos 2 App fine and I’m at the stage where the App wants to connect to my TV.

However, the App says Testing Connection and then say No HDMI Arc connected

I have set the TV Speakers to off
I have had earc as automatic but have left it off for now and using tired HDMI 1,3 & 4 ports

I have set the digital out format to all setting and currently have it set multichannel

Any idea greatly appreciated

7527ED3A-4406-41C2-A1DB-FAED7DE8C33A.pngThanks

Hi, I was wondering if anyone can help

I’m trying to connect a Sons Src to an 806 Oled

The arc is connected to my Sonos 2 App fine and I’m at the stage where the App wants to connect to my TV.

However, the App says Testing Connection and then say No HDMI Arc connected

I have set the TV Speakers to off
I have had earc as automatic but have left it off for now and using tired HDMI 1,3 & 4 ports

I have set the digital out format to all setting and currently have it set multichannel

Any idea greatly appreciated

View attachment 1601764Thanks

Managed to get it working by selecting “HDMI Sound System” rather than “speakers off”

I've been away for a while, but for what it's worth: Philips Denmark instructed me to recreate the error that I had with eARC and Sonos Arc, download error logs on a USB which was sent to the HQ i Germany (I think).

The error was acknowledged and a support case was created. The support center just emailed med saying that they believe it's a hardware malfunction, and that spare parts are being ordered.

Not quite sure, whether repairs will take place at home, or if the TV need to be sent somewhere. But the conclusion is apparently that I bought a defect TV.

I've been away for a while, but for what it's worth: Philips Denmark instructed me to recreate the error that I had with eARC and Sonos Arc, download error logs on a USB which was sent to the HQ i Germany (I think).

The error was acknowledged and a support case was created. The support center just emailed med saying that they believe it's a hardware malfunction, and that spare parts are being ordered.
Good news for you. But I really doubt it really is a hardware problem.

I really did see some changes with the eARC behavior through all the firmware. As I said before with the original firmware it was impossible to get a Dolby Atmos trueHD signal with the original firmware. Most of the time the sound was popping.
With the first update this behavior was solved and the eARC was able to transmit the trueHD signal but then again an annoying DD5.1 appeared. But it seems that other brands like Sony had exact the same issue. They already solved that issue in June and hopefully Philips can also correct this issue. (Why it really takes months for them, nobody knows)

I get the feeling that the local customer support really don't know anything about the progress and what is coming in a new firmware. They only give us report to the engineering departement and just wait...Correct if I'm wrong but at the moment there isn't any real word from Philips that we actually can trust. We all get different stories from our local customer Philips support.

Hi peeps. Considering getting the 806 (I know, I'm mad). I use eARC and have actually had loads of issues with my current LGC9.

If I stick to plain ARC will I be ok and just miss out on uncompressed audio? Or is the whole ARC implementation currently problematic?

Thanks

If I stick to plain ARC will I be ok and just miss out on uncompressed audio? Or is the whole ARC implementation currently problematic?
ARC just works fine. It's the eARC that has problems and since this is completely new for Philips it will probably take a while before they have figured it out.

Thanks. I can cope with the slightly less quality sound (it is annoying though). Good to know that it basically works aside from that. Seems like eARC has not been well planned out and agreed and there are so many issues across all TV's

Not quite sure, whether repairs will take place at home, or if the TV need to be sent somewhere. But the conclusion is apparently that I bought a defect TV.
Please let us know what happens next, and if it fixed any of your problems.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom