Philips OLED806 sound is buggy combined with Sonos ARC

Pwainx

Maybe the problem is with some devices only. I have Yamaha receiver.
But with the previous version I was able to get Dolby Atmos trueHD. But there was an annoying thing that DD5.1 was played out of the wrong speakers.

Now I’m not able anymore to get trueHD. So it seems that this new firmware (TV) is the problem.

Last edited:

Pwainx

OK...so something strange has happened. I've came back home and put on the TV. I've started the Apple TV and noticed that I have back Dolby Atmos. 🤔
I checked every setting in the TV and eARC was in AUTO and "Multichannel Bypass" was active. So this was great news for me. But again this was also working with the previous firmware.

So I've started a video with DD5.1 on the Apple TV (Multichannel PCM 5.1) to see if they have address this issue. But sadly it's not. 😡

When playing a Dolby Digital 5.1 video through the Apple TV you will notice that the audio signal for "front right", "front left" and "rear left" are played by the "front center" speaker. The audio signal for this center speaker is then played by the rear left speaker. A Dolby Atmos video played by the Apple TV is working fine.

You can check this by installing the Apple TV app 'Surround Speaker Check'. It's free. Don't forget to set the TV settings to 'Multichannel bypass' and eARC in AUTO.

Now I'm wondering why the hell it works again like before. With mine previous testing I've also powered everything off and back on again. So it's very strange. But it seems they haven't done anything to solve the audio issues.

But at the moment I don't have the Dolby Vision bug anymore. Dolby Vision Bug

kapslock

OK...so something strange has happened. I've came back home and put on the TV. I've started the Apple TV and noticed that I have back Dolby Atmos. 🤔
I checked every setting in the TV and eARC was in AUTO and "Multichannel Bypass" was active. So this was great news for me. But again this was also working with the previous firmware.

So I've started a video with DD5.1 on the Apple TV (Multichannel PCM 5.1) to see if they have address this issue. But sadly it's not. 😡

When playing a Dolby Digital 5.1 video through the Apple TV you will notice that the audio signal for "front right", "front left" and "rear left" are played by the "front center" speaker. The audio signal for this center speaker is then played by the rear left speaker. A Dolby Atmos video played by the Apple TV is working fine.

You can check this by installing the Apple TV app 'Surround Speaker Check'. It's free. Don't forget to set the TV settings to 'Multichannel bypass' and eARC in AUTO.

Now I'm wondering why the hell it works again like before. With mine previous testing I've also powered everything off and back on again. So it's very strange. But it seems they haven't done anything to solve the audio issues.

My sound is all messed up after updating, I now have front speaker audio coming out of my rear speakers... I used the Surround Speaker Check app that you mentioned and it confirms it....

Pwainx

My sound is all messed up after updating, I now have front speaker audio coming out of my rear speakers... I used the Surround Speaker Check app that you mentioned and it confirms it....
Can you also report this to Philips? If they got enough reports maybe they will actually do something about it.

GrayFox25

Novice Member
I have a really weird problem with my 65oled856 and my JBL 5.1 via hdmi ARC

Yesterday at delivery no problem.
Today new TV update.

Since then, the bar freezes, nothing works, the buttons on the remote control and the bar are disabled, forced to unplug
So i unplugged the bar and the hdmi ARC. I put the power back on, the bar is working fine, I put HDMI ARC back on, and the bar still freezes.
I have tried other cable and other ARC / eARC input from the TV.

Still the problem. I think the new TV update is screwed up.

So I have to switch to an optical connection

Does anyone have the same trouble with a JBL 5.1 bar?

kapslock

Can you also report this to Philips? If they got enough reports maybe they will actually do something about it.
Yes I will open a ticket now, however I don't expect any serious reply, my last ticket about Dolby Vision issue they literally said it is Apple TV problem and not a Philips problem..

Pwainx

Yes I will open a ticket now, however I don't expect any serious reply, my last ticket about Dolby Vision issue they literally said it is Apple TV problem and not a Philips problem..
I think we all need to write a honest review on their Philips page and warn any potential buyer about all the bugs in this television. Maybe then they will solve all this issues. I have already written mine.

kapslock

I think we all need to write a honest review on their Philips page and warn any potential buyer about all the bugs in this television. Maybe then they will solve all this issues. I have already written mine.

I have submitted a 1 star review, however it doesn't appear to be published. Maybe it take some time.

Pwainx

It take some times. Mine first review was declined because I mention another brand. So I did rename the Apple TV to ATV and resubmit mine review. Surprisingly they approved it. 😀

kapslock

It take some times. Mine first review was declined because I mention another brand. So I did rename the Apple TV to ATV and resubmit mine review. Surprisingly they approved it. 😀
Thats funny, I can see they approved mine now and I have Apple mentioned directly :D

Pilsudski

Hi, I have a sonos Arc + sonance rear speakers (with amp) set up. I am planning to buy the 806 when there are black friday discounts. Will I encounter problems then too? I don't have Apple tv. I'm planning to watch only regular tv or movies via a NAS/plex. Shall the same issue arise or will this be fine?

Pwainx

Hi, I have a sonos Arc + sonance rear speakers (with amp) set up. I am planning to buy the 806 when there are black friday discounts. Will I encounter problems then too? I don't have Apple tv. I'm planning to watch only regular tv or movies via a NAS/plex. Shall the same issue arise or will this be fine?
That depends if you install the Plex app on the television then you will probably not face them. It's only happening with any external device you connect to this TV. The Apple TV seems to be a popular device here that's why it's being mentioned so many times. But if you have a blu-ray or something else you will also get those bugs.

But to be honest this TV is not future proof. Maybe you want to connect after two years an external media device because this smart TV becomes to slow or don't get any important Android updates anymore and so on...

Pilsudski

Not future proof because of the audio issue or are there other issues? I wanted to buy this because I like the ambilight and have been waiting since last year since 806 didn't have earc support. Are there any good alternatives to the 806 then if it is not recommended?

Pwainx

Not future proof because of the audio issue or are there other issues? I wanted to buy this because I like the ambilight and have been waiting since last year since 806 didn't have earc support. Are there any good alternatives to the 806 then if it is not recommended?

And if you really want eARC that's completely the point of this discussion. eARC isn't working like it should work. Turning on eARC will start many problems. By default Philips has switch eARC off. It seems they were aware of all those problems.
The biggest question is will they ever fix it and when? At the moment there isn't any good news coming from Philips about this.

Pilsudski

this is really annoying... so they have 1 month to have it fixed or I'll be obliged to look for another tv. Very sad that I have to choose between a properly working tv or ambilight...

Madchemic40

How did you resolve the Vision bug?

Pwainx

How did you resolve the Vision bug?
Nothing. Just updated it. But that doesn’t mean it does not exists anymore. It’s not always happening like I told before. Sometimes it stays away for days and then suddenly it’s back.

After I’ve installed mine new HDMI cables I had also a couple of days without this bug. But then again it occurred. It’s a strange bug. Because sometimes it happens and sometimes it doesn’t.

But until now it’s seems to be gone for me. And yes I’ve still have eARC on and match frame rate and dynamic range on the Apple TV is also on.

Desruptor

Novice Member
Update from my side:

I’ve updated to Version: TPM211EA_R.001.001.233.012 last week and since yesterday audio with eARC worked fine with Bose Smart Soundbar 900. But last evening there was no more sound. Nothing helped (disabling eARC, restart of the TV software etc…) unless I unplugged the tv from power. Now it seems to work with eARC disabled and without the bypass option (sound errors combined with Dolby vision 😩). And of course: I’ve to disable VRR and adjustable dynamics in Apple TV because of the Dolby Vision bug as well.

ojee99

Novice Member
Update from my side:

I’ve updated to Version: TPM211EA_R.001.001.233.012 last week and since yesterday audio with eARC worked fine with Bose Smart Soundbar 900. But last evening there was no more sound. Nothing helped (disabling eARC, restart of the TV software etc…) unless I unplugged the tv from power. Now it seems to work with eARC disabled and without the bypass option (sound errors combined with Dolby vision 😩). And of course: I’ve to disable VRR and adjustable dynamics in Apple TV because of the Dolby Vision bug as well.
Even with eARC disabled and without the bypass option sometimes the sounds gets lost and a power-reset is necessary. Did you also made a bug-report at Philips?

Pwainx

Even with eARC disabled and without the bypass option sometimes the sounds gets lost and a power-reset is necessary. Did you also made a bug-report at Philips?
I agree. It’s very important to report this at Philips. Because for the moment I don’t think they are fixing the eARC issues.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Sky reveals content lineup for 2022
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Panasonic TVs now feature Apple TV+
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Magico announces Titan 15 subwoofer
  • By Andy Bassett