Philips OLED805 OLED TV Review & Comments

I'm no expert but I thought banding was either vertical or horizontal bands where the picture has noticeably different luminance?

I had a quick look and the landing page for the program is quite pixelated/blocky on mine too - other shows aren't like this though, so I would say it's just that screen?

Thanks for the info. Is +1 BT.1886? I do wish more manufacturers would just have the settings by name rather than mystery scales.

Thanks for the info. Is +1 BT.1886? I do wish more manufacturers would just have the settings by name rather than mystery scales.

There’s a link to some settings from a website earlier on where the tv was calibrated and those settings use gamma plus one and a few changes that make the picture look great

Hi all
I have a problem with getting multichannel(DD) out to my receiver from this TV when playing video files from a USB stick using any other player than one that is integrated with TV,
I have tried VLC and KODI but no chance.
Any idea??

Thanks

Hi all

I bought a 65OLED805 a few weeks back and was initially very happy. I have several other ambilight LED TVs in the house.

I started to notice the OLED case cracks and pops excessively, not only when its warming up for the first hour or so but when you switch sources or viewing content e.g light to dark or vice versa.

Anyone else noticed this?

I can tolerate a bit of thermal expansion but it does seem excessive on my unit :(

Anyone found a fix for the screensaver constantly starting in all the Freeview apps like iPlayer and All4?

I'm getting so annoyed with Philips just telling me they're aware of the problem and will update it, but they don't know when.

Hi all

I bought a 65OLED805 a few weeks back and was initially very happy. I have several other ambilight LED TVs in the house.

I started to notice the OLED case cracks and pops excessively, not only when its warming up for the first hour or so but when you switch sources or viewing content e.g light to dark or vice versa.

Anyone else noticed this?

I can tolerate a bit of thermal expansion but it does seem excessive on my unit :(
My 855 also cracks a little when ambilight is on.. Without not so ! I must say that I don't use ambilight much.. More with movies when light go of more.. But then in the beginning it cracks..

So that is what causes that sound. I used to worry it was my wall bracket when I first heard it. I presume it is nothing to worry about.

Hi guys,
Did someone try to install Google Stadia?
(It's not in the store, but the official Apk can be found and installed on the Android TVs)
If so, please share your experience with it.
Thanks

8021CC90-D387-43D5-B4B1-BEE3453F8398.jpeg

New update

The new update changelog suggests that the ability of Harmony remotes to access direct input switching has been re-enabled.

This is partially true but it's not working properly. HDMI4 on the remote does switch to HDMI4 on the set, HDMI2 switches to HDMI1 on the set and both the HDMI1 and HDMI3 commands switch to the internal satellite tuner.

Has anyone had a more positive experience with their harmony remote and these sets since the update?

My 805 is connected to my denon 4500 and somehow the tv ALWAYS turns itself back on no matter what I do. Does anyone else have this issue?

The new update changelog suggests that the ability of Harmony remotes to access direct input switching has been re-enabled.

This is partially true but it's not working properly. HDMI4 on the remote does switch to HDMI4 on the set, HDMI2 switches to HDMI1 on the set and both the HDMI1 and HDMI3 commands switch to the internal satellite tuner.

Has anyone had a more positive experience with their harmony remote and these sets since the update?
Now have an answer to my own question thanks to a post on reddit. Setting the TV as the 804 series on the harmony remote is an effective workaround - all inputs now work as they should.

After sending back Samsung q60t and a lot of research (and a budget stretch:)) I decided to go for this Philips. I'm expecting it to be delivered on Thursday, however, I'm a bit concerned regarding my current tv stand. It's vesa 300x300 compatible, but since the screw holes are located near bottom of the oled tvs I'm afraid now that the mounting racks are going to be visible at the bottom. Does anybody know distance between the bottom screw holes and the bottom edge of the tv? It'll be a massive help for me, thanks.

Last edited:
After sending back Samsung q60t and a lot of research (and a budget stretch:)) I decided to go for this Philips. I'm expecting it to be delivered on Thursday, however, I'm a bit concerned regarding my current tv stand. It's vesa 300x300 compatible, but since the screw holes are located near bottom of the oled tvs I'm afraid now that the mounting racks are going to be visible at the bottom. Does anybody know distance between the bottom screw holes and the bottom edge of the tv? It'll be a massive help for me, thanks.
I have a oled 855. It's 7 cm's.
Becuase the low placed bottom holes your tv will also hang higher..

Thank you so much. Well, my bracket is 11cm long measured from the last slot. Which means 4cm too much...

Edit: found the solution in the end:) All good, thanks for help!

Last edited:
First of all, thank you for all your insights! I'm currently looking to get a TV, I recently moved back to Sweden so I have none at all at the moment. Looking for a 55", and I´m between the LG CX and the Philips 805/855/865 (or possibly the OLED705 which arrives in a month). I would love Ambilight, but what is making LG an option for me is that LG in Sweden has great service and warranty, while Philips seems... less than ideal.

But my main question is: How is your screen uniformity on the 805/855/865? I´ve seen loads of nightmare examples on the LG CX (although mainly on the larger screens, 65" and above) in terms of banding and clouding. Have you experienced or tried this on your TVs? :)

First of all, thank you for all your insights! I'm currently looking to get a TV, I recently moved back to Sweden so I have none at all at the moment. Looking for a 55", and I´m between the LG CX and the Philips 805/855/865 (or possibly the OLED705 which arrives in a month). I would love Ambilight, but what is making LG an option for me is that LG in Sweden has great service and warranty, while Philips seems... less than ideal.

But my main question is: How is your screen uniformity on the 805/855/865? I´ve seen loads of nightmare examples on the LG CX (although mainly on the larger screens, 65" and above) in terms of banding and clouding. Have you experienced or tried this on your TVs? :)
I have a 55"philips 855 since december 2020. The screen is 100 % perfect.
It's difficult to make a decission whicht tv. The more you research the more difficult it gets to choose which you want/need.
But as you have a preference for ambilight.. I always think it's best to narrow the choice to 2 different tv's and order them with a 100 % right to sent it back without reasononing to the store.. as buying on internet.
Maybe evn the new miniled lcd tv's are a good choice this year !??
Price in this time of year of older models is also a big factor.. Although it seems that the newer 2021 philips oled have some extra's.. But they will not make the picture different.
As even the new sony a90j and lg g1 with newer panels make a real difference as it seems from reviews..

That sounds very promising, thank you! My "feeling" from the forums is that the CX has had increasing issues with later panels, but might just be a result of them selling more.

They sure have some extras, but my days as a gamer are kind of past, and the gaming I do I will not be doing in front of the TV. My receiver is also to old to use and HDMI 2.1 features. So that is not a matter for me, it´s mainly about picture quality and movie experience, and watching my dear Liverpool get beaten up.

The minileds would absolutely be an alternative, but in that case I would have to opt for a "place-holder-TV" while waiting for them to hit the market (not knowing the price), and I have a feeling they will get more expensive than I can get the 855 for, especially since it seems the Philips mini-LEDs will only come in 65" and larger. The 855is available for £1100 in Sweden at the moment.

The place where I would by the 855 acutally gives me 90 days of right-to-return, so I might just bite and get it, and hope for a good panel without the technical issues I saw mentioned in this thread. It´s great knowing what to watch for! :)

That sounds very promising, thank you! My "feeling" from the forums is that the CX has had increasing issues with later panels, but might just be a result of them selling more.

They sure have some extras, but my days as a gamer are kind of past, and the gaming I do I will not be doing in front of the TV. My receiver is also to old to use and HDMI 2.1 features. So that is not a matter for me, it´s mainly about picture quality and movie experience, and watching my dear Liverpool get beaten up.

The minileds would absolutely be an alternative, but in that case I would have to opt for a "place-holder-TV" while waiting for them to hit the market (not knowing the price), and I have a feeling they will get more expensive than I can get the 855 for, especially since it seems the Philips mini-LEDs will only come in 65" and larger. The 855is available for £1100 in Sweden at the moment.

The place where I would by the 855 acutally gives me 90 days of right-to-return, so I might just bite and get it, and hope for a good panel without the technical issues I saw mentioned in this thread. It´s great knowing what to watch for! :)
I think that the 855 has an advantage over the 805 for sound as it has 7 cm room for sound. Althougth with the 805 you also get extra higher stands for paring with a soundbar in front. The 855 can also swivel if needed.
My experience with (philips) oled is that motion is a point of ??? This you should examine with the different oleds.. And not take the standard talk of,.. Sony is superb in motion.
I read that all oleds are a little problematic in motion.. And the bfi's of the newer sony's and lg's are only usable in sdr in the loewst settings.. otherwise brightness gets a hit.
But motion is the only point of question I have on my philips oled.
But maybe a lcd is better in this ?? But I've read countless posts about trouble with samsung q90t/q95t.. So,.. I think with newer tv's you need to have some reservations..
Lcd's are better in this they say..

I think that the 855 has an advantage over the 805 for sound as it has 7 cm room for sound. Althougth with the 805 you also get extra higher stands for paring with a soundbar in front. The 855 can also swivel if needed.
My experience with (philips) oled is that motion is a point of ??? This you should examine with the different oleds.. And not take the standard talk of,.. Sony is superb in motion.
I read that all oleds are a little problematic in motion.. And the bfi's of the newer sony's and lg's are only usable in sdr in the loewst settings.. otherwise brightness gets a hit.
But motion is the only point of question I have on my philips oled.
But maybe a lcd is better in this ?? But I've read countless posts about trouble with samsung q90t/q95t.. So,.. I think with newer tv's you need to have some reservations..
Lcd's are better in this they say..
I don´t care much about the sound in the TV itself, I have an external sound system, so the built-in speakers will most likely never be used.

I read about the motion, but as far as I can judge that is only a problem if you try to use the motion smoothing, or did I miss something? Personally, I hate all the extra motion smoothing features, and always try to get the original content. I owned a 65PUS8602 for a while, and never used any of the motion features. This would be the same no matter the TV, I prefer to not leave frame rendering to "best guesses" by the TV. :D

I don´t care much about the sound in the TV itself, I have an external sound system, so the built-in speakers will most likely never be used.

I read about the motion, but as far as I can judge that is only a problem if you try to use the motion smoothing, or did I miss something? Personally, I hate all the extra motion smoothing features, and always try to get the original content. I owned a 65PUS8602 for a while, and never used any of the motion features. This would be the same no matter the TV, I prefer to not leave frame rendering to "best guesses" by the TV. :D
Then I would warn you.. If you don't use smoothing or whatever it's called you get stutter or whatever it is called. You won't get an ideal setting.. !!
In motion I have 5 different selection including, "out".. I have it on the forelast setting "standard".
Big faces are problematic when they move to left and right fast.. Or panning shots.. withhout smoothing..

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom