Philips OLED805 OLED TV Review & Comments

Yep that's still an issue for me too. Not sure it's as easily(!) solvable though, because you can't actually uninstall the Prime app as far as I can tell; it's baked in. You do have the option to restore it back to the factory-installed version, but that hasn't solved the issue for me. Even though it shows the HDR symbol next to a programme, the TV doesn't switch to HDR mode when you set it playing.

Yeah this is frustrating. If they fixed this, had Apple+ and fixed the lip sync issues with Dolby output on my Sonos Arc when using external devices I’d be very happy 😆

Yeah this is frustrating. If they fixed this, had Apple+ and fixed the lip sync issues with Dolby output on my Sonos Arc when using external devices I’d be very happy 😆
Not asking for much! 😄

I noticed the lip sync thing when I plugged my Blu-ray player directly into the TV then fed the sound out to my Yamaha AVR via ARC. Didn't try and fix it at the time as the player has dual HDMI outs so I can feed the sound directly to the Yamaha. I believe there's a setting on the player to adjust for lip sync though.

This is the issue with Arc, it only has one HDMI port and that goes directly in the TV. I can use an optical lead, but it’s a faff swapping it about.

This is the issue with Arc, it only has one HDMI port and that goes directly in the TV. I can use an optical lead, but it’s a faff swapping it about.
Have you tried playing around with these settings?

Attachments

• 16059856099111711153629205726443.jpg
    16059856099111711153629205726443.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 160
I've managed to get it working. It was just a case of turning off automatic updates in the Google Play Store, then following your instructions to install the older version of the app from the Philips Collection. Disappointingly there's still no Atmos, but we've just watched an episode of The Mandalorian season 2 in Dolby Vision and it looks incredible! Thanks for your help.

ah that’s fantastic glad you got it working and I could help a little.
hopefully there’s a permanent fix soon and we don’t have to keep deleting and installing the app.

I have just put it on and it looks terrible. It’s the first thing I’ve seen that looks this bad. Is it standard definition?
Thanks for checking. Terrible motion, however is not that bad a TV show. I cannot work out how to check the resolution or refresh rate, my old TV's had a info button.........

The screen info button on your remote is the plus / options button the bottom right, well it is on mine. I think is what you mean.

Is there a way to check signal info (refresh, resolution) on the 865? I have tried pressing and holding every single button in the remote

Has anyone else lost the freeview play app tonight?
Mine‘s still there.

On the subject of Freeview Play, does anyone know how adjust the picture settings (or any settings come to that) when you’re watching a catch-up app like iPlayer or All4 without getting kicked out to the Home Screen or live TV? Or do all the Freeview Play apps share their picture setting with live TV?

For any other new owner's of 55OLED805, did your TV have protective film on the screen and rear speaker / sub-woofer?
Mine did not, box had double cellotape on top seal (not a good sign) however I noticed the 65" review model had protective film.
Brought from Curry's online.
Any Philips guru's know how to check history on time etc, does not appear to be in the settings? Hi mine didn’t either...

hi

Has anyone else lost the freeview play app tonight?

Had to revert to old software, Freeview Play APP is now back.

Freeview Play was fine when I first installed the TV, pretty sure the APP disappeared after Software update. To repair I tried to install manually but it was not available, but I noticed that when I tried to manually add the BBC sounds App, there was a reported error that "terms and conditions" had not been agreed.

So I returned to factory settings, and re-installed, now Freeview Play APP has returned. During the TV install process you accept both Google and Philips TV collection T&C's, I suspect the Philips T&C acceptance was the issue, potentially the new software update breaks that acceptance.

Current software version is TPM191E_R.101.001.123.008 (Thu Oct 15 11:55:07).

Last edited:
I took delivery of the 55OLED805 yesterday and there seems to be a problem with it already. I've paired a set of earbuds and headphones via bluetooth, but every time I want to connect them the TV picture stutters then freezes then the TV shuts down, needing a reboot to restart. The TV also doesn't auto connect to them, I have to go into the bluetooth menu to reconnect. Unplugging and plugging in the TV hasn't worked. Looks like I'll be returning!

Apart from these connection issues, how did you find the TV picture?

I'm thinking about buying a 65 805. I've tried OLEDs in the past (LG C6, Sony AF8, Panasonic 952 with direct comparison to Samsung Q9FN, and always left feeling the Samsung has the best picture balance over all with more watchable picture and background details (especially over Panasonic), and best normal broadcast TV picture and upscaling. Something the OLEDs really struggled with (and in particular the LG was awful) unless it was a top notch HD source.

Just wondered how the Philips seems to fair on normal broadcast stuff? (as Bluray and 4k they all tend to look great).

Apart from these connection issues, how did you find the TV picture?

I'm thinking about buying a 65 805. I've tried OLEDs in the past (LG C6, Sony AF8, Panasonic 952 with direct comparison to Samsung Q9FN, and always left feeling the Samsung has the best picture balance over all with more watchable picture and background details (especially over Panasonic), and best normal broadcast TV picture and upscaling. Something the OLEDs really struggled with (and in particular the LG was awful) unless it was a top notch HD source.

Just wondered how the Philips seems to fair on normal broadcast stuff? (as Bluray and 4k they all tend to look great).

I have had Panasonic LED’s and while they’re good they are a touch in the soft side for my liking. I can’t speak on their OLEDs.

This is my second Philips OLED and now I’ve got the 805 with Dolby vision I wouldn’t go to another brand. The picture quality is the best I’ve seen. HD is really good on sky Q too. I use the light sensor and it’s really good. Very impressed.

Does anyone else use light sensor. I was using it up until about 10 minutes ago and with it on the picture is a lot darker. I’m trying to figure out if it is changing the gamma or the oled backlight depending on conditions in the room.
Does anyone know the answer?

I have had Panasonic LED’s and while they’re good they are a touch in the soft side for my liking. I can’t speak on their OLEDs.

This is my second Philips OLED and now I’ve got the 805 with Dolby vision I wouldn’t go to another brand. The picture quality is the best I’ve seen. HD is really good on sky Q too. I use the light sensor and it’s really good. Very impressed.

Thanks. And would you say normal SD content (unfortunately there is still a lot around!) it's pretty good still? I'm not expecting brilliance but I do find my 55q9fn is excellent at this and very watchable where the OLEDs I've had really struggled.

Thanks. And would you say normal SD content (unfortunately there is still a lot around!) it's pretty good still? I'm not expecting brilliance but I do find my 55q9fn is excellent at this and very watchable where the OLEDs I've had really struggled.

I’ve only had the 805 for a week and haven’t checked SD content but the 803 was very good. Use a couple of the noise reduction and mpeg processors and it will be as good as any other set I would hazard a guess at.

Would the Ambilight be any good against Navy blue patterned wallpaper, the other half just saw one advertised and really liked the idea, however it’s going against the dark feature wall so I’m not sure if it’s worth it?

Would the Ambilight be any good against Navy blue patterned wallpaper, the other half just saw one advertised and really liked the idea, however it’s going against the dark feature wall so I’m not sure if it’s worth it?
My background is a classic peach and white pattern wall paper :), and it works well, so cannot comment on blue, however when you install the TV part of the ambilight setup is to input the wall colour (so there must be some internal adjustment).

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom