Philips OLED805 OLED TV Review & Comments

I've been very impressed with Phillips TVs for the last couple of generations. I like accurate colours etc up to a point but HDR is my favorite way of watching 2D content. I've always liked their HDR perfect function. Their "vivid" mode is the best SDR enhancer I've seen bringing HDR like picture quality to SDR content.

Phillips is about the only OLED TV I would consider swapping my LED light canon for.

Will filmmaker mode be added by firmware?

Will filmmaker mode be added by firmware?
I've asked the question regarding the Filmmaker Mode in the picture presets. Philips PR states it is Movie mode, but it should be a named stand alone preset, so I have asked for more information.

I've been very impressed with Phillips TVs for the last couple of generations. I like accurate colours etc up to a point but HDR is my favorite way of watching 2D content. I've always liked their HDR perfect function. Their "vivid" mode is the best SDR enhancer I've seen bringing HDR like picture quality to SDR content.

Phillips is about the only OLED TV I would consider swapping my LED light canon for.
Sounds like the perfect fit for you.

Cool. Thanks Phil.

In a straight shootout (which I appreciate means working from memory), how does the 805 compare with the Panasonic HZ models you've seen in terms of near black performance?

I know Panasonic focused efforts on this area, with impressive results. It reads as though Philips has at least narrowed the gap.

You discuss near black performance in the review, which is great and pretty comprehensive, but it'd be useful to get your impression of how this TV stacks up against the competition in this regard.

Call me a cynic but how are Phlips doing on OLED sales? Are they really doing well or just there in the mix? They usually launch their TVs around this time every year and also conduct these shootouts. The owners threads are usually quiet. Does this mean all the owners are happy or there aren't that buyers of Phlips OLEDs?

I did my own shootout of Phlips 804 and Panny DX902 last year and the DX blew the 804 fair and square on many areas except for blooming and that 0 cd/m2 blacks.

Cool. Thanks Phil.

In a straight shootout (which I appreciate means working from memory), how does the 805 compare with the Panasonic HZ models you've seen in terms of near black performance?

I know Panasonic focused efforts on this area, with impressive results. It reads as though Philips has at least narrowed the gap.

You discuss near black performance in the review, which is great and pretty comprehensive, but it'd be useful to get your impression of how this TV stacks up against the competition in this regard.
I actually had the OLED805 up next to the HZ1500 and it competes very well with the Panasonic. Blacks are on a par with a very slight advantage to the Panasonic for just above black and colour purity, (there is no cyan white on the Panny), but it's very close. Motion is slightly better on the Philips and they are close with every other attribute. Philips has Ambilight and is slightly cheaper with Android TV against Panasonic and My Home Screen 5.0. So yes, Philips has narrowed the gap and can be accurate.

Sounds like the perfect fit for you.
I've been to shootouts and loved the Philips, loved the Pannys. When I arrive back home, I put on some bright HDR content and I'm "content". I would have to directly compare it with my current TV.

I've been to shootouts and loved the Philips, loved the Pannys. When I arrive back home, I put on some bright HDR content and I'm "content". I would have to directly compare it with my current TV.

GZ2000 / HZ2000 are the only OLEDs that can offer close to 1000 nits peak brightness on a 10% window. The other models share the same panel and usually have 650 to 850 nits of peak brightness depending upon how the manufacturer implement it.

Thanks Phil. How much clearance can be gained for a soundbar by using the spacers for the TV stand?

Phill, I read at the beginning : "As you can see from the greyscale results the out of the box ISF mode is reasonable, but is not accurate in the brighter areas of the image as there is too much blue and a lack of green and red. Our DeltaE errors are therefore above the visible threshold of three from around 50% stimulus with a cooler (blue) look to highlights within on-screen film and TV content"

Could it be that this is on purpose from Philips.. Because you can change it by calibrating. Why would it be difficult for a tv-manufacturar to make it perfect. As they know that there tv's will be reviewed on this these times in all the reviews on the interenet ?

GZ2000 / HZ2000 are the only OLEDs that can offer close to 1000 nits peak brightness on a 10% window. The other models share the same panel and usually have 650 to 850 nits of peak brightness depending upon how the manufacturer implement it.
Do you think that you can see the difference of 100 nits.. ? Because I think that in reviews the panasonic didn't even reach 1.000 nits but in 900 nits something. And nits is not a lenear thing in real life as the numbers seem to be taken by most people, automatically. In experience 100 nits will not be seen in scenes.. I think !??

Do you think that you can see the difference of 100 nits.. ? Because I think that in reviews the panasonic didn't even reach 1.000 nits but in 900 nits something. And nits is not a lenear thing in real life as the numbers seem to be taken by most people, automatically. In experience 100 nits will not be seen in scenes.. I think !??

That's a good question. If you have trained eyes then probably you might.

I am clearly noticing super bright specular highlights being less impactful on my 65GZ1000 than my DX902 (Example, Batman V Superman.). Its not like the OLED is dim but it doesn't go bright enough but for most parts, the OLED does well with HDR and SDR over the super bright DX902 thanks to pixel level control. Also I am noticing that dip in colours on very bright specular highlights on my OLED over my DX which has better colour volume (ex. super bright explosions).

I actually had the OLED805 up next to the HZ1500 and it competes very well with the Panasonic. Blacks are on a par with a very slight advantage to the Panasonic for just above black and colour purity, (there is no cyan white on the Panny), but it's very close. Motion is slightly better on the Philips and they are close with every other attribute. Philips has Ambilight and is slightly cheaper with Android TV against Panasonic and My Home Screen 5.0. So yes, Philips has narrowed the gap and can be accurate.

Really useful info, thanks Phil. 👍

I almost forgot about cyan whites, which as I understand it are present on all OLED TVs bar Panasonic. That the Philips performs a little better with motion perhaps offsets this.

If the Philips upscales better (ignoring all additional picture processing), the gap is narrower still. I've always found Panasonic upscaling a tad soft (I say that as a Panasonic fan). Maybe that's just me.

Seems like a genuine contender.

From when I saw them at the shootout, the Philips have always been the most impressive to me. Their tech is at least as good as the others, the resulting picture and audio is great and as Phil says, they seem to understand both the enthusiast and general audience. Their marketing on the other hand seems to be lacking. I still don't think that they take the UK market seriously.

Do the Netflix, Amazon, Disney+ apps support Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos? When will Apple TV app be available and same question as above.

Thanks for the comparison - coming from plasma, motion is a key factor for me. Do the new Philips models have the new 120Hz BFI system?

That's a good question. If you have trained eyes then probably you might.

I am clearly noticing super bright specular highlights being less impactful on my 65GZ1000 than my DX902 (Example, Batman V Superman.). Its not like the OLED is dim but it doesn't go bright enough but for most parts, the OLED does well with HDR and SDR over the super bright DX902 thanks to pixel level control. Also I am noticing that dip in colours on very bright specular highlights on my OLED over my DX which has better colour volume (ex. super bright explosions).
As I didn't know what your DX902 was.. I did a google search and the review from Steve Witheres in 2016,... And it's strange to come to the conclusion that such a tv is not to be found these days.. A 10 for colour accuracy.. 500+ dimmingzones with even extra ibuilds to prevent light leakage t other zones.. resulting in 0,0000 nits.. as was written. But there was no nits per window graphic.. Only mentioning 1.000 nits.. Panasonic DX902 (TX-65DX902B) UHD 4K TV Review

As I didn't know what your DX902 was.. I did a google search and the review from Steve Witheres in 2016,... And it's strange to come to the conclsuion that such a tv is not to be foudn these days.. A 10 for colour accuracy.. 500+ dimmingzones with even extra ibuilds to prevent light leakage t other zones.. resulting in 0,0000 nits.. as was written. But there was no nits per window graphic.. Only mentioning 1.000 nits.. Panasonic DX902 (TX-65DX902B) UHD 4K TV Review

Hey,

Its one of the best LED-LCD TV released on those days and would give most of these new LED-LCDs and OLED a run for their money. I can only draw comparisons against this and LG C8 OLED as I have owned both of them.

512 Zones
Black level: 0.0 cd/m2 (full black background) / 0.025 cd/m2
Contrast ratio: 8150:1
Peak brightness (HDR): 1310 cd/m2 (10% window) / 1187 cd/m2 (15% window) / 887 cd/m2 (100%)
Color space (DCI-P3): 98%
Color space (Rec.2020): 72%

Just read the review, being impressed. @Phil Hinton thanks for the extensive review as ever.

Looking forward to upgrade our current Panasonic LCD(CX800, CX802 in the UK) to an OLED somewhere next year. Philips seems like a good bet. Will wait for next years model probably the OLED806 I suppose with the hopefully HDMI 2.1 features like eARC(which is the most important feature for me personally) but other than that this OLED805 seems like a real good set.

Also nice to know, for people who didn't know yet, Portrait, the company behind Calman, are going to support Philips OLED's on their 2021 roadmap with their AutoCal feature.

The feature introduced together with the launch of the Panasonic Plasma VT30 series back in 2011 if I am correct, Phill did an interview at CES in 2010 about the early stages of this technology before it first was introduced.

I think that it is a great sign that Portrait is going to support the Philips range just like they do with Panasonic and Sony and I think also LG but I could be wrong on that last one ;)

Thanks for the review, and looking forward to the next podcast.

Oh goody more ambilight nonsense so good no one has bothered to copy it

Well, some people like it and those that don't can turn it off.

Probably best not to fixate on this feature when there's so much else worth considering. I wouldn't discount a TV because it has Ambilight. Nor should anyone else.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom