1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips OLED vs. QLED Shoot-out Results

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by Sonic67, Aug 3, 2017.

1. Sonic67

Sonic67
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +14,981
      Last edited by a moderator: Aug 9, 2017
    2. Sonic67

Sonic67
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +14,981
      20170803_200841.jpg

3. dollag

dollag

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +389
      Great evening chaps. Was very interesting seeing Samsungs Q7F QLED up against the Philips Oled. IMO there really was no contest in performance. would be interesting to see Sony do something similar with the A1 and ZD9 as I feel would be a much closer contest.

Oh and I am very happy to be a proud new owner of this fantastic looking TV thanks to Philips :clap:

• Like Like x 11
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • List
    4. pj

pj

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +501
      Great night
      thank you Philips, Danny, Steve and Phil (and all the others)
      I would happily house the losing sets as a booby prize

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • List
    5. Tom Tom

Tom Tom

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +219
      Thanks everyone. Really nice to meet some people and take part in an awesome evening.

Glad I didn't win, I would never have made my train dragging those boxes to Waterloo:D;)
      That's me being interviewed........Steve and Phil, I told you I was the least knowledgeable person there. :p

I am sure I can be edited in where it shows you had people but I am mute to a music bed! :facepalm:

6. big boss

big boss

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +336
      My impressions yesterday:

1) OLED wipes the floor off QLED when it comes to blacks and contrast. There was a night scene from planet earth 2 where only the hyenas' eyes were visible. OLED was stunning while QLED was a poor grey.

2) Motion and juddering on both is bad until you employ their own processing. Philips is better than Samsung after processing. Still not as good as plasma (although this argument is pointless now).

3) Samsung performs well on bright scenes and colours but Philips was slightly better.

4) Philips was a touch sharper than Samsung.

5) Screen uniformity was superb in the Philips but there was quite a bit of clouding in the Samsung.

6) In HDR, the bright bits were a bit brighter in the Samsung but felt as if that was to compensate for poor blacks. Philips looked far better despite being "only" 900 nits.

7) In bright light, the differences are less pronounced.

8 ) Philips screen is more reflective than Samsung.

9) Love the ambilight in Philips, and love the fact that it can coordinate your Hue lights in the room for a more pronounced effect (you can tell the TV which Hue bulbs are located where for better effect). The ambilight can react to either picture or sound, or any way you like.

My next TV (whenever) will definitely be a Philips OLED due to ambilight. [​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Like Like x 2
      • Thanks Thanks x 1
      • Useful Useful x 1
      • List
    7. big boss

big boss

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +336
      Congratulations!!

8. nicholascoxson

nicholascoxson

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +136
      Congratulations on the tv, and after last night I will definetley look into getting a Phillips oled as my next television

9. WhatTheManSaid

WhatTheManSaid

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +13
      It was a great evening and chance to chat to some forum members. Thanks to Philips for setting this up and for AVForums folks for supporting it!

My observations were:
      - Off-angle viewing of the Samsung QLED was absolutely awful, unwatchable.
      - Except for one bright colourful clip, the OLED was visibly better than the QLED, in that colourful clip it was perhaps a draw
      - For any clip with contract and dark areas the OLED easily one.
      - The extra brightness (potential) of QLED did not show itself as making the set more compelling in things that really matter (the full white screen looked nicer, but that is not everyday video)
      - Motion resolution was worse on the QLED
      - OLED motion handling was mostly fine/acceptable (speaking as Kuro owner)

In conclusion I was surprised how one-sided the side by side comparison was. I had expected the latest generation Samsung QLED to give the Philips OLED a run for it's money.

I'll be buying an OLED to replace my remaining Kuro.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • List
    10. gagaga

gagaga

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +60
      Great evening, thanks Philips and AVF, had to run before the post demo booze unfortunately though.

Biggest takeaway for me: LCD is truly, truly awful for any scene with big contrast variations, especially in a darkened room.

OLED was not perfect - some lost detail in black/very dark grey areas (this took me an age to get right on my JVC X55), and the QLED cheated there by having such a high black 'floor'. Was also some evidence of crushed whites on the OLED, but this might have been due to the calibration being a bit overdone to try to match brightness with the QLED (it was also noticed that the colours on the OLED looked turned up to 11 in some scenes too).

Would love to see a demo of the philips vs other manufacturers offerings with the same panel (as Danny Tack note, there's only one right now).

11. Har-One

Har-One

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +2,709
      It was a very enjoyable evening. Indeed, thanks to Philips and AVF. It was a real pleasure meeting Steve and Phil.

The test was very interesting. It was deadly clear which TV was which from the moment we saw the first clip. We had the opportunity to sit right in front of the TVs and then from an angle.

I personally believe that it was a fight between a monkey and a lion. There was no competition there. The only aspects where the QLED did better was whites and reflections. The OLED was more reflective. The white clouds were brighter and whiter in the QLED. Motion wise, they both were pretty much neck and neck.

Saying that, the LCD in very bright scenes and vivid colours whilst seating deadly right in front, was watchable. As soon as any dark scene came into play then the differences were obvious. The edge-lit was self-evident as well.

I think that it is fair to note that it was a Q7, so not the top of the range, edge-lit LCD TV. I can only assume that if it would have been fully back-lit with local dimming the differences might not have been as pronounced. However, I have no doubts that even with the best LCD consumer TV we could have seen differences in dark scenes.

The Philips OLED uses Android OS which looked snappier than the Sony version. I did try the remote very briefly and it seemed OK. I am not saying that it is good because the Sony Version it is OK sometimes. But every now and then it goes bananas. It would be nice to hear the opinion of owners after prolonged periods of use.

12. SonOfSJ

SonOfSJ

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +856
      Well, I couldn't afford to attend the event, I live in Edinburgh, but it sounds like a one-sided evening, with the edge-lit Samsung QLED, despite Samsung's hype and advertising, falling quite some way short of the Philips OLED. Hmmm ... pity that Samsung don't have a Full Array Local Dimming set in their 2017 range.

13. Sonic67

Sonic67
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +14,981
      My impressions.

I started off to the rear and on the right. Phillips set largely walked it. It was also on the right. The Samsung's blacks looked grey. I was looking across at it at an angle as the Samsung was on the left.

After the clips were shown I moved to the rear and on the left. Now the Samsung looked better though on nearly every clip I still preferred the Philips. The Samsung did win out on the green apple in the red water clip though that was a marginal improvement over the Phillips.

If you are watching bright, colourful images straight on to the set then the Samsung looks a little better. Otherwise the Phillips won and with the other clips, by a greater margin.

Sharpness and motion control looked the same to me.

Philips also had the ambi-light.

14. pj

pj

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +501
      the philips clearly had the edge from the first frame, but..... it was also a bit too dark and the colour was a bit too high for my liking I feel that the samsung with a few tweaks probably could've matched it a bit more but then it wouldn't have been a fair calibrated comparison, if they somehow manage to Dolby vision in there too (with the ambilight) i would be there like a shot (i say shot but in reality my 55D8000 still blows some 4K sets away and fingers crossed shows no signs of stopping) note to philips though i really wouldn't show motion processing to a room full of avforumers if there is a next time, hopefully none of them actually use it in the first place (work of the devil) and 2 i doubt there will ever be a time that it actually, fully 100% works without artefacts as it can't ever guess what the next frame will be in real time :facepalm: especially if it's live tv :smashin:

15. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
      Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +7,856
    16. Tom Tom

Tom Tom

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +219
      After attending and "realising/remembering" about other modes other than Cinema. While watching a program the other night they walk into a cave lit with only flaming torches and I could not see anything on my TV. Switched to dynamic and really brought everything out (backlight normally at 3 was up to full). However when they walk back to daylight the picture felt lurid and much less natural.

Although in Cinema mode when I just turned up the backlight or brightness the TV had the same grey "coating/film" over the image (my TV is also a Samsung) that we saw the other back lit Samsung do in the demo.

I obviously have not calibrated to any sort of reference level and would be interested to see how far off I am with the settings I choose to use.

I was chatting to someone who was talking about the differences and the fact that actually calibration may not paint the truest picture to what you might set up at home, making the QLED Samsung a "better" TV than we thought on the night. The OLED was a better TV but actually the QLED might not have been "as bad" as we thought.

I'd still happily take any of them in an upgrade but yes paying £2500 for either I would choose the OLED

17. Roohster

Roohster
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +3,721
      Thanks for doing this guys, interesting to see what most of us suspected all along.
      I'll continue saving up for an Oled :D

18. BrightonChris

BrightonChris
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +2,001
      No. That one LCD might be but this was a big mismatch and a rather pointless exercise. Stick it against the ZD9 or DX902 and it surely would have been a fairer fight. Especially for HDR.

• Agree Agree x 6
      • Like Like x 3
      • List
    19. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +2,201
      What motion settings were used on each TV for the comparison?

Surprising to see the OLED do better with motion when it has more limited options for frame insertion.

20. cranefly

cranefly

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +117
      I do not get why they chose that samsung tv model, i get that the price is the same, but we are talking two different technologies, if it is the tech that they want to highlight then oled will nearly always win hands down, why go after samsung like this, when we all know this years tvs from them are over priced and down on last years quality, well done to phillips for calling them out like this, but it was really a one sided show from the start, samsung did not stand a chance.

21. raduv1

raduv1
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +7,449
      Can't comment on the ZD9 but I have to be in prime viewing position on my 902 . On this sort of test and viewing angles I believe the Pana would of come off worse than the Sammy that is meant to have a wider viewing angle .

22. Caat

Caat
      Standard Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +3
      Did Philips give any indication of when this TV might be available? Emailing Philips directly it suggested that it was still organising retail partners for it...

23. BrightonChris

BrightonChris
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +2,001
      Maybe but this was an enthusiasts shootout. And we'll all sit in optimum position. If they had people off at the sides trying to critically assess performance then that would make this even more of a farce.

24. SonOfSJ

SonOfSJ

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +856
      I note the point made by BrightonChris in post #18 above, which in spirit echoes my post #12. Given that QLED is currently available in only edge-lit sets, it would have been interesting to see QLED technology as applied to a Full Array Local Dimming properly backlit television, and then pitted that against an OLED. Oh, I expect that the OLED would still win, but at least then there would be only one main variable between the televisions, whereas here there were two differences - OLED technology vs QLED, and OLED's inherently self-emissive pixel-by-pixel technology vs edge-lit.

Will anyone be formally conveying the result of this test to Samsung? Might that inspire Samsung to once again (as they did up to and including last year) produce FALD televisions?

My subscription copy of the new issue (number 276, September 2017) of a certain print audio-visual magazine thudded onto my doormat yesterday. On page 71 it has a group test of 3 OLED televisions (LG OLED65W7, Loewe Bild 7.65, Panasonic TX-65EZ1002) and a proper FALD machine, the Sony KD-75XE9405. Perhaps I shouldn't give the result in this forum, but I would urge people to buy the magazine (available at all decent-sized newsagents), and read the group test, because that is a fairer comparison, of OLED technology against FALD LCD-LED.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • List
    25. raduv1

raduv1
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +7,449
      This was how the this event was done as 30 odd people can't sit in prime position so to varying degree picture will get worse the more off angle you sit. It was even commented in the article that it was easy to spot what tv was the QLED due to this .

26. BRAKKUS1

BRAKKUS1
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +2,398
      Wow just wow fellas!! And the point of this sham was!? It was a bloody OLED VS an entry level edge lit Q7! Not even the Q9! The agenda here stinks quite frankly, it's not even an competition is It, no wonder Phillips were confident! Joke.

Why didn't they pit an ZD9 or DX902 VS the OLED? We would be seeing HDR differences there I can assure you; the Q7 can only hit around 600/700 nits, with rubbish local dimming, and people were saying there was virtually no difference in bright scenes, surprise surprise.

Worst thing I've read or seen on AV Forums in years.
      Phillips are a bloody embarassment, and it shouldn't have been been covered.

27. Steve Withers

Steve Withers
      Reviewer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +8,571
      Well the clue is in the title – 'OLED vs QLED' – which is why Philips chose a Samsung and as mentioned in the article the Q7 and 9002 are the same price.

Did you actually read the article? The tests were run twice in order to give as many people as possible a chance to evaluate the Q7 whilst sat at the optimum position.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Like Like x 2
      • List
    28. BrightonChris

BrightonChris
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +2,001
      A complete farce then. Avforums have been used as part of a rather daft advertising campaign.

29. raduv1

raduv1
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +7,449
      Q7 was chosen because of the QLED rrp being around the same level as the OLED.

30. Steve Withers

Steve Withers
      Reviewer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +8,571
      They didn't but my guess would be after IFA, which is in three weeks.