Promoted Philips OLED+936 and OLED+986 – continuous improvements bring a new reference performance.

Cheers for this. Just been having a little skim read of those threads. Could you PM me the link for the firmware downgrade please? I presume it's a copy to USB and then into the TV job?

Also... Does the downgrade remove any other functionality that may have been in the .026 update?
@Need a PhD in TV I’ve been preoccupied and only just seen this, did you manage to downgrade to .022 - is there a file and will the TV accept a downgrade?

@Need a PhD in TV I’ve been preoccupied and only just seen this, did you manage to downgrade to .022 - is there a file and will the TV accept a downgrade?
I have not used the firmware (which I was informed by @AlexanderVS is not a downgrade/rolled-back FW, despite the "lower" version number).

Philips mentioned that there was an OTA firmware update coming "end of February", so I thought I'd wait for that one rather than sideloading via usb.

Still waiting for Philips to roll out the latest firmware to the UK... (Literally just checked... No sign). To be fair, they've been busy convincing everyone that their 936s are within spec.

The new firmware started to roll-out yesterday. Because it impacts a very large number of sets in most European countries it will be a staggered roll-out. I believe it takes about two to three weeks to reach everybody and every model. Sorry, I don't know the precise order, model by model and country by country, but it has started.
Apologies, I was given the wrong information. The firmware is actually due to be released next week.

Thank you. What does it actually fix? Does it solve to Dolby Vision / Apple TV issue?
What Dolby Vision / Apple TV issue? I had never tried Apple TV before but yesterday I watched ep.1 of "The Foundation" (it turned out I could watch the first episode for free). The quality was amazing and the TV showed both Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos notifications. I noticed no issues at all.

It’ll show the DV information, but the output is only 8-bit RGB. When watching an HDR show instead, the quality definitely is lower with DV vs HDR.

Last edited:
Press the + button on the bottom right of the remote, then go to device info.

The + button on the bottom right of the remote doesn't do anything during playback on my TV. When or where should I press it?

When are you pressing it? Should work when watching anything on the Apple TV.

When watching that ep.1 on Apple TV. I tried short and long pressing many times but nothing happened. There is a "+" and "options" text on the button on the remote control.

When watching that ep.1 on Apple TV. I tried short and long pressing many times but nothing happened. There is a "+" and "options" text on the button on the remote control.
That's the right button.

Pressing it should bring up an Options menu on the left side of the screen which will list Controls, Screen Off, Device Info, All settings. It's Device Info you want.

Try using the Options button on another source and see of you can bring that menu up. If you can, I would suggest turning off the "easy link" remote setting temporarily and trying again with the Apple TV.

(PS: The cable at the bottom is on my to do list 😂)

Attachments

• PXL_20220307_211822047.jpg
    PXL_20220307_211822047.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 132
  • PXL_20220307_211813001.jpg
    PXL_20220307_211813001.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 126
Yes, Options work with some sources - TV, built-in video player and does not with others - Just Player, Apple TV.

I dont understand? why AV forum would move all my posts that prove 936 cant do even 1440p/120Hz without lowering the resolution, nearly all of the post i posted is to do with Philips OLED 936 being not as advertised i cant comment on the issue of VRR, the fact is the TV cant do 4K120Hz without VRR & you moved all my posts to here:

Philips OLED+936 and OLED+986 4K 120hz VRR support​

For a start? the title is misleading, if someone was to glance at that title without reading its contents they would think OLED 986 & 936 has VRR support. the pics i took with my phone was done on OLED936 using a S21 Ultra phone im using a 1080TI GPU pictures taken at 1440p 120hz vs 60hz With zero VRR my GPU doesnt have HDMI 2.1 & last i checked VRR cant work on HDMI 2.0b, so that post should remain here. I dont know what to make of this???

I dont understand? why AV forum would move all my posts that prove 936 cant do even 1440p/120Hz without lowering the resolution, nearly all of the post i posted is to do with Philips OLED 936 being not as advertised i cant comment on the issue of VRR, the fact is the TV cant do 4K120Hz without VRR & you moved all my posts to here:

Philips OLED+936 and OLED+986 4K 120hz VRR support​

For a start? the title is misleading, if someone was to glance at that title without reading its contents they would think OLED 986 & 936 has VRR support. the pics i took with my phone was done on OLED936 using a S21 Ultra phone im using a 1080TI GPU pictures taken at 1440p 120hz vs 60hz With zero VRR my GPU doesnt have HDMI 2.1 & last i checked VRR cant work on HDMI 2.0b, so that post should remain here. I dont know what to make of this???
Biased? Sponsored by Philips?

Biased? Sponsored by Philips?

Have left a semi-lengthy response in above thread (posted about 10 mins ago)

@Philips TV PQ Philips, you really need to up your game if you don’t want to lose loads of your Ambilight loving customers 🙁
You‘ve killed movie watching on my 936 as dark scenes end up with a bright white light, which came in many months back after a s/w change. Plus I get ARC/eARC sound dropout issues and although not a gamer I’m not happy with how 4K 120Hz VRR issues have been handled by marketing or the hardware folk.

I’ll probably stick with my 936, but after many decades of Philips TVs any next TV won’t be Philips unless they get their act together across the board including provide high end video TVs without making folk pay for elaborate sound bars they don’t need as they have high end AV Systems.

As mentioned in the below thread others can now provide an Ambilight visual equivalent add-on, so us Ambilight loving folk have a viable choice now from LG and others…

the fact that the 936 and 986 have misleading specs and in fact do not support any 4k/120hz signal VRR or not, seems like a pretty vital information that should be mentioned in the main thread avoiding other potential customers from regretting their purchase like many of us.

I understand the desire to keep this hush hush but I believe it only aggravates the damage done to us loyal customers.

I have left a review here: regarding 120Hz4K on Philips OLED936

Last edited:
Apologies, I was given the wrong information. The firmware is actually due to be released next week.

Is there a firmware update coming, if so what day? would it first be available on philips site through support/sw driver so people can update manually? then rolled out to every TV in different countries?. Its next week now, where is the update also will update fix 4K/120hz half refresh in monitor mode on philips OLED 936, Manuel says It's a supported feature on this model.

does Philips marketing team even care about its customers concerns after buying your product? I've asked so many questions yet had no reply.

Last edited:
Gotta add to the list of annoyances that it doesn't recognize external device playback resumption so I have to press a TV remote button to disable the screensaver every time.

I've just installed FW Version: TPM211EA_R.001.002.114.203 via the [Settings > Update Software > Search for updates > Internet (recommended)] and it has restored Ambilight back to the 65OLED936/12 FW: TPM211EA_R.001.001.233.012 state.

As far as I can tell there is no new option to implement the changes requested here: https://tv-sound-monitors.philips.c...reen-moments-for-ambilight-follow-video-modes
Are you in the UK? Great to hear it’s out at last. So the ambilight works in game mode as before where the absence of light means no LED’s are on?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom