Promoted Philips OLED+936 and OLED+986 – continuous improvements bring a new reference performance.

Thanks for the reply.

Did wonder whether the soundbar could be wired with an HDMI to repurpose it, took out 40+ screws and it was still absolutely solid. Couldn't get into it at all! Might try again at some point or see if existing connector can be changed.
The soundbar is as you say, ‘solid‘, as it’s a set of stereo, centre, Dolby height pair and I think bass speakers with all amplification as discreet channel amps in the TV. So you can simply use HDMI as the soundbar needs a powered amp, as in the TV.

So, to reuse, you’d have to get a Dolby Amp with the 3.1.2, or as many of the drivers you want to use. Then either rewire (or cut off) and connect the the wires at the soundbar connector to the speaker outputs of the amp, probably using longer cables. You’d also need to identify the colour cables Philips used, as looking at the connector they seem to use ‘car audio’ common grounds which can cause some amps issues.

I was thinking of such a project but I didn’t get as far as identifying the mulex-type connector or the speaker lines - would be easy enough with a test line or meter.

I did post more at:

Hello oled+936 users,

I have been using this new TV set for over a month now and I am overall very pleased with it, except for two issues.

1. The new Ambilight background lighting on dark scenes which came with a recent upgrade of the firmware ... I HATE THIS. I have read other very negative user comments about it and hope PHILIPS will fix it quickly.

2. Some weird intermittent noise from the B&W speakers while the TV is in standby mode. This is occurring every day at some point in the morning for a transient period of time. As anyone else experienced this?

Tx

Attachments

• Philips Oled+936.mp3
    147.9 KB
I had the exact same issue with the strange noises in the morning. Reading that others have it as well, make me think that I’m not crazy :D
It seems that it has stopped recently. It might be related to the fact that before putting the TV in standby I set it to home first. Give it a try, might help.

Welcome to the club then! I will give it a try and keep you posted. But this is clearly abnormal and hope can/will be fixed through firmwire upgrade …

Apologies for the delay. We don't monitor the tread on a regular basis.
The Philips OLED sets use a different version of the Mediatek chip in order to be compatible with the Android OS and the original advise was that it was not possible to update this version to 4K/120/VRR. However, discussions have since restarted with Mediatek and we will have a definitive answer on both your questions by mid-Jan.
Hope that'sOK.
While you are talking to dev, I'd be curious if you'd also be addressing any of the Oled+936 issues that Vincent Teoh mentioned in his review such as the
  • Lower than expected brightness on a 10% window
  • Blown out whites in Dolby Vision mode
  • 10 bit gradiation issues
  • Near black chrominance overshoot issue
  • Inability to resolve full 4k 120hz in monitor mode with ultraHD set to optimal
  • Lack of 4k 120hz Dolby vision
Also I wonder if you couldn't add some other screensaver options? The bowers and wilkins logo isn't much fun..

Don't get me wrong, I own an 936 and love it very much, but I have noticed some of these issues like the 10 bit gradiation and the near black chrominance overshoot and as your other TV's already do some of these things better, I would hope they could be solved in firmware.

Any plans for that you'd like to share?

Hello oled+936 users,

I have been using this new TV set for over a month now and I am overall very pleased with it, except for two issues.

1. The new Ambilight background lighting on dark scenes which came with a recent upgrade of the firmware ... I HATE THIS. I have read other very negative user comments about it and hope PHILIPS will fix it quickly.

2. Some weird intermittent noise from the B&W speakers while the TV is in standby mode. This is occurring every day at some point in the morning for a transient period of time. As anyone else experienced this?

Tx
For Ambilight, I have my own problems that I can't get it to match my wall color well enough to reproduce correct colors. Does anyone know if the ISF tuning mode in the Ambilight settings would let me choose a custom wall color, and if so, how I'd get into that menu?

As regards the noise from the speakers, I haven't experienced this. Maybe it is picking up interference from some other nearby components? Or maybe you left cast open? I have noticed that you can cast to the speaker while the screen is off.

For Ambilight, I have my own problems that I can't get it to match my wall color well enough to reproduce correct colors. Does anyone know if the ISF tuning mode in the Ambilight settings would let me choose a custom wall color, and if so, how I'd get into that menu?

As regards the noise from the speakers, I haven't experienced this. Maybe it is picking up interference from some other nearby components? Or maybe you left cast open? I have noticed that you can cast to the speaker while the screen is off.
Thanks for your suggestions as regards to the speakers noise. I don't believe this is the root cause in my case. Given the fact this noise seems to occur daily in the morning, I was wondering if this could be an interference from a scheduled internal process e.g. oled panel refresh. In the meantime I followed Alinutz' suggestion and yesterday evening switched TV off on the home page to check if it makes a noticeable difference.

Well, my 85X6 The One got repaired, so I'm probably sticking with that now. Probably won't be changing up TV, but I'll keep an eye on sale prices for this and/or whatever the 937 turns out to be!

Hello oled+936 users,

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Maybe once a week or so I get a 2 second burst of noise immediately on switching on from standby. Sounds a bit like a drill combined with white noise.

Some weird intermittent noise from the B&W speakers while the TV is in standby mode. This is occurring every day at some point in the morning for a transient period of time. As anyone else experienced this?
I had the exact same issue with the strange noises in the morning. Reading that others have it as well, make me think that I’m not crazy

peggle
Maybe once a week or so I get a 2 second burst of noise immediately on switching on from standby. Sounds a bit like a drill combined with white noise.

I have not noticed fluctuations of noise in stand-by, except that when TV is performing pixel clean white noise is coming from the tweeter in the same way as TV would have been powered on (with sound muted) meaning that the TV amplifier stays on during pixel clean.

But what I have noticed on my 936 (and what is confusing me and a bit annoying) is quite significant amount of white noise ("flat noise") coming our from the tweeter on B&W bar. I can't say that it is very loud but it is quite noticeable - first I noticed it when I was close to the bar (with sound muted or at home screen) say, at 30...50 cm, but after I knew it - I can hear it from 1.5-2 meters (in the fully silent room of course).

So, the question to the 936 owners: could you please kindly check whether you can hear white noise from the tweeter? (Easier to hear it when the sound is muted).

Can anyone confirm the available UK accessible/installable apps?

o, the question to the 936 owners: could you please kindly check whether you can hear white noise from the tweeter? (Easier to hear it when the sound is muted).
Yes, I definitely get this at random times, a short white noise burst from speaker when in standby.
Has it been reported to Philips by anyone yet ?
I've reported it

Last edited:
I had the exact same issue with the strange noises in the morning. Reading that others have it as well, make me think that I’m not crazy :D
It seems that it has stopped recently. It might be related to the fact that before putting the TV in standby I set it to home first. Give it a try, might help.
So I checked over the weekend and also confirm the morning noise is gone when the TV has been switched off on the home screen. Thanks Alinutz for the tip!
Interesting to see others comments on this thread with the same issue . Hope Philips will look at it and provide a fix.

Last edited:
I have not noticed fluctuations of noise in stand-by, except that when TV is performing pixel clean white noise is coming from the tweeter in the same way as TV would have been powered on (with sound muted) meaning that the TV amplifier stays on during pixel clean.

But what I have noticed on my 936 (and what is confusing me and a bit annoying) is quite significant amount of white noise ("flat noise") coming our from the tweeter on B&W bar. I can't say that it is very loud but it is quite noticeable - first I noticed it when I was close to the bar (with sound muted or at home screen) say, at 30...50 cm, but after I knew it - I can hear it from 1.5-2 meters (in the fully silent room of course).

So, the question to the 936 owners: could you please kindly check whether you can hear white noise from the tweeter? (Easier to hear it when the sound is muted).
I checked on my set and can't hear a white noise as you describe. Does this happen with a specific signal source or any?

Does this happen with a specific signal source or any?
It happens whenever TV is on - it is like a noise from low-quality power amplifier using cheaper components. As it depends niether on input soucre nor on volume level - it means that it is due to one of the last amplifier cascades.

I checked on my set and can't hear a white noise as you describe.
Thank you very much for your reply. Oh.. I see.. No white noise at all? In that case it can probably mean that my B&W bar (or the TV in case if amplifier is located in TV and not in the bar) is defective... ((

But I would refrain yet from hasty conclusion and wait till more owners advise whether they hear it or not.

As for sporadic "morning noise" - I have not noticed it, presumably because this TV is in the sitting room.

Once again how to check: you just need to select any idle source (HDMI or USB) or if you are watching DBV-C program you just need to mute or reduce volume to zero, and bring you ear close to the tweeter on the B&W speaker bar.

Welcome to the club then! I will give it a try and keep you posted. But this is clearly abnormal and hope can/will be fixed through firmwire upgrade …

I can't say I have experienced this or any kind of noise at all and the TV resides about a foot or two from my bed! Always left in standby (never off at the wall), usually switched off from inside an app or from the home screen, very occasionally from source input for the 4K player.

Hi! I cannot find a way to use Miracast on my new 936. There is no app or setting and without them the TV seems to be able to connect through Chromecast only. I'd like to be able to use it as a second screen of a Windows PC. Is there a solution?

Yes, I definitely get this at random times, a short white noise burst from speaker when in standby.
Has it been reported to Philips by anyone yet ?
I've reported it
Slow going with Philips support, first replies simply asking me to read a FAQ on troubleshooting when a soundbar is connected using HDMI, I had to explain that this TV came with its own soundbar. Now they want a video of TV playing the demo mode , wtf? and another capturing the random hiss.
Sounds like they've not heard of the issue to me, so would encourage others to also report it please.

Slow going with Philips support, first replies simply asking me to read a FAQ on troubleshooting when a soundbar is connected using HDMI, I had to explain that this TV came with its own soundbar. Now they want a video of TV playing the demo mode , wtf? and another capturing the random hiss.
Sounds like they've not heard of the issue to me, so would encourage others to also report it please.
Here is a sound capture I made of the random morning noise

Attachments

• Philips Oled+936.mp3
    147.9 KB
Yesterday I updated the TV with the new firmware and the eARC stop working so I can no longer use my AV Receiver to listen Netflix (or whatever) through my Home Cinema.

I got in touch with the support service and it gave me the impression to be talking to a person that didn't know this specific model and its characteristics. Anyway, I sent them some logs and they are studying the case. I am waiting for an answer.

Yesterday I updated the TV with the new firmware and the eARC stop working so I can no longer use my AV Receiver to listen Netflix (or whatever) through my Home Cinema.
Did you try disconnecting the mains power from all your devices and waiting 30-60 seconds before reconnecting the mains power?

Did you try disconnecting the mains power from all your devices and waiting 30-60 seconds before reconnecting the mains power?
Yes I did. The person I talked to told me to disconnect everything and wait for 2 minutes. Then, hold the "joystick" down (as if lowering the volume) and plug again the TV but anything changed.

Fix.. the damn.. Ambilight already. It’s always white in dark parts, no more dark edges which ruins the point of an OLED!!!

@Philips TV PQ I am cross posting this post from this forum here: Philips Ambilight TV, any way to make the Ambilight lights go off on black screen during scenes? as I am most dissatisfied with recent Amblight "improvements" to both the 65OLED935/12 and the 65OLED936/12.

I have written to my retailer asking for their assistance with this matter.

As my original purchase was the 65OLED935/12, which on arrival out-of-the-box, had an RTM Ambilight behaviour where ALL Follow Video modes would turn off completely, inline with the contrast of the OLED panel, the change or in Philips own words "improvement" implemented in FW: TPM191E_R.101.002.098.000 fundamentally changed this Ambilight behaviour and thus voided the products original RTM specification.

This fundamental Ambilight FW change on the 65OLED935/12 was rolled over to the 65OLED936/12 and was the out-of-the-box behaviour. However, FW: TPM211EA_R.001.001.233.026 has now fundamentally changed the Ambilight Follow Video modes on the 65OLED936/12, thus voiding this products original RTM specification.

I feel that it is wrong that a manufacturer can fundamentally change a products behaviour post RTM and/or post purchase, to the point where it voids the products original RTM design and functionality. I am happy for manufacturers to "improve" their products, but this MUST be done as an addition, not as a replacement for original RTM functionality.

I am currently waiting to hear back from my retailer before contacting UK Trading Standards about both these issues.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom