Promoted Philips OLED+936 and OLED+986 – continuous improvements bring a new reference performance.

Could any of you 936 owners do me a quick favour and measure the distance between the bottom of the tv and the bottom of the stand / table top?

The specs page is a bit confusing as it says the TV is 829.5mm without the stand, 930.8mm with it, but the stand is only 87.7mm high!

Thanks in advance
Hey Lensy, there are 2 stands for the TV. Which one are you interested in ? the wall mount is straight and the other one is bent.

Apologies for being unclear - the shorter table one. Looking to figure how far above the table the bottom of the TV is

Thanks!

I'm not sure if this is only in my head, or it is a real fact. I tried downgrading the FW back to .012 but did not succeeded so I will take the TV back to the reseller, because of this.
))) return because of this? Moreover, without facts. Nobody even wrote about this, maybe you just think)?
Also, you mention your competitors - It appears Panasonic have solved all 4K/120/VRR issues on their Mediatek SOC with a firmware update. Why isn’t this possible with Philips?
panasonic has a different SOC compared to Sony and philips! Mediatek MT5813, while sony and philips have MT5895! 2 different processors, so to say that panasonic has succeeded and others is not possible - WRONG.

))) return because of this? Moreover, without facts. Nobody even wrote about this, maybe you just think)?
If I understood correctly, the full story with Ambilight is that it was working perfectly fine, then they decided to change it because they received complaints from a number of users and instead of adding a new option just for these users they decided to completely change what was working perfectly fine for many, many users.

There is a post with Philips saying they won't go back on this, I find it very poor customer support.

If I understood correctly, the full story with Ambilight is that it was working perfectly fine, then they decided to change it because they received complaints from a number of users and instead of adding a new option just for these users they decided to completely change what was working perfectly fine for many, many users.

There is a post with Philips saying they won't go back on this, I find it very poor customer support.
The ambilight always glows white on the screen even in a dark scene, albeit faintly! This is done in order not to burden the eyes with abrupt transitions of light! In game mode, the backlight works very quickly and even more extinguishes the white glow in dark scenes. I don't see any problem with ambilight. It seems to me that people simply have nothing to do to come up with such "problems" where they do not exist.

The ambilight always glows white on the screen even in a dark scene, albeit faintly! This is done in order not to burden the eyes with abrupt transitions of light! In game mode, the backlight works very quickly and even more extinguishes the white glow in dark scenes. I don't see any problem with ambilight. It seems to me that people simply have nothing to do to come up with such "problems" where they do not exist.
I have to say I really appreciate the latest change, it provides a bias light to help protect my eyes when the screen goes dark, but also provides a nice ambilight effect when there is content.

We are all different, so maybe the current implementation should be the default with further options to turn off the always on feature and maybe a responsiveness gauge that could be configured.

Ambilight was a key buying decision for me.

take everything as a FACT: the backlight always shines. In any of the modes. AND DOESN'T TURN OFF completely AND SHOULD NOT

The ambilight always glows white on the screen even in a dark scene, albeit faintly!
If you check the video posted in the other thread you would see that the white is not faint white is actually pretty bright considering the TV is showing a dark scene. I have a 15+ year old old 32" and on mine yes, it's a faint white on dark scenes but the one in the video is actually much brighter.

Besides, what I said is that they should leave the option to the user, add a new Ambilight mode and everyone is happy, it makes zero sense to completely remove something from one firmware to the other that was not a fault.

Hello everyone,
Did anyone else noticed that after the TPM211EA_R.001.001.233.022 on 55"936 the ambilight on black scenes is whiter and brighter than .012 firmware ?
I noticed that on the Transient 2 youtube clip

I'm not sure if this is only in my head, or it is a real fact. I tried downgrading the FW back to .012 but did not succeeded so I will take the TV back to the reseller, because of this.

I think they have toned down the Ambilight with the latest firmware 001.233.026
I am seeing a big change in darker scenes now.
Much less backlight going on.
Actually looking nicely balanced on dark scenes.

See if you can get some other opinions before hitting the upgrade button 😉

Just updated the software on my 936 and the home screen is now blank. I can still access netflix etc from the dedicated buttons on the remote plus get antenna channels so the TV still works, just no home screen. Anyone else?

Just updated the software on my 936 and the home screen is now blank. I can still access netflix etc from the dedicated buttons on the remote plus get antenna channels so the TV still works, just no home screen. Anyone else?
Just unplugged the TV at the socket to reboot. Seems to have done the trick. I wonder what the updates actually are?

IMPORTANT:

It is advisable to disconnect the TV from the power source for 2-3 minutes after successful installation (i.e. when the TV starts working again) (before, of course, putting it into standby mode).

But, the best option is to do a "full reset" after each update. As on phones. Then the firmware works correctly. But # 2: if you just unplug the power cord for 3 minutes after the update, this = a complete reset. Hardware cold restart is in progress.

Apologies for the delay. We don't monitor the tread on a regular basis.
The Philips OLED sets use a different version of the Mediatek chip in order to be compatible with the Android OS and the original advise was that it was not possible to update this version to 4K/120/VRR. However, discussions have since restarted with Mediatek and we will have a definitive answer on both your questions by mid-Jan.
Hope that'sOK.

Thank you for the reply and look forward to the definitive answer in January.

Could any of you 936 owners do me a quick favour and measure the distance between the bottom of the tv and the bottom of the stand / table top?

The specs page is a bit confusing as it says the TV is 829.5mm without the stand, 930.8mm with it, but the stand is only 87.7mm high!

Thanks in advance
For 65" OLED936 the distance between the bottom edge of TV and the table top which I measured is around 102 mm (what is well in line with tech specs: 930.8-829.5=101.3 mm).

I think they have toned down the Ambilight with the latest firmware 001.233.026
I am seeing a big change in darker scenes now.
Much less backlight going on.
Actually looking nicely balanced on dark scenes.

See if you can get some other opinions before hitting the upgrade button 😉
In firmware .026, the Ambilight is still brighter than my room lighting in dark scenes. Unfortunately no longer usable for me since the update :(
I hope there will be a function in a future update in which I can set the Ambilight back to the way it was in .012
Strangely, in "Follow audio" mode it still behaves like in .012, so it stays off in dark scenes or seems so weak that it is not noticeable.

Just in case anybody is interested - I tested a USB to Gigabit adapter on the 936 and it worked (although I suspect you have to be careful choosing the right adapter). Results in this thread: Philips 65OLED705/12 connect a USB 3.0 to 1Gbit Ethernet adapter

Summary: around 50% better than the 100Mbps socket on the TV but for me, still not quite as fast as the (admittedly excellent) Wifi performance.

Can anyone advise me on what USB Gigabit Ethernet adapter works for the Philips 936?

I’ve bought the CableCreation one that Vincent recommended on his video for the LG and Sony but doesn’t seem to be working!

Can anyone advise me on what USB Gigabit Ethernet adapter works for the Philips 936?

I’ve bought the CableCreation one that Vincent recommended on his video for the LG and Sony but doesn’t seem to be working!

I used a Lenovo Gigabit USB 3.0 Ethernet Adapter model RTL8153 (in fact I suspect any RTL8153 adapter stands a good chance of working).

Checking specs on a CableCreation adapter shows that it uses the ASIX AX88772 chip and if you check the other thread, another user had no success with a similar ASIX based adapter.
The RTL8153 is old - and I think old is good in these instances as the drivers are more likely to be in the firmware.

Happy New Year to all on this forum. Would anyone be able to help with the problem I have watching 4k HD ultimate football the sound momentarily dips every 10 seconds or so but more annoyingly the judder on the ball when high in the air is far worse than my old Panasonic Plasma which I replaced with the 936. I've upgraded tv and Broadband and TV contract specifically to watch the football in 4k.
I'm hoping I don't have the wrong tv and somebody may have the same set up and can advise me ,I hope this is something simple in a setting.

I used a Lenovo Gigabit USB 3.0 Ethernet Adapter model RTL8153 (in fact I suspect any RTL8153 adapter stands a good chance of working).

Checking specs on a CableCreation adapter shows that it uses the ASIX AX88772 chip and if you check the other thread, another user had no success with a similar ASIX based adapter.
The RTL8153 is old - and I think old is good in these instances as the drivers are more likely to be in the firmware.
As none of the built in Apps use more than 50mbs? what are the benefits of using the USB 3 to try and get faster?

I’m just intrigued, as I have a 400mbs with very low latency Fibre Internet and use LAN to an Apple TV with a 1Gbit LAN. Also, some folk say WiFi is faster than 100mbs LAN but I thought WiFi typically had other issues, like high latency so packet delivery is rather erratic causing buffering issues with video streaming.

As none of the built in Apps use more than 50mbs? what are the benefits of using the USB 3 to try and get faster?
The only benefit I can see (with having a faster ethernet connection than 100Mbps) is if you want to play your own 4K UHD Bly-ray disc back-ups, using the TV's built in media player.

Some 4K UHD Bly-ray disc back-ups can peek at at over 100Mbps...

Love the picture quality and ambilight of the 936 (although wish I could've bought just the panel as I've ditched the soundbar).

1. Is it right that the 'Picture Format' setting is only available for the built-in TV channel? I have a standard Sky Q box on HDMI and it is really starting to irritate when it constantly switches format, I'd rather just set it. Had one show where they were faking old movies at intervals and it was almost unwatchable as it kept changing format.

2. How do you change the Bowers & Wilkins screen saver? Can't find it anywhere.

Love the picture quality and ambilight of the 936 (although wish I could've bought just the panel as I've ditched the soundbar).

1. Is it right that the 'Picture Format' setting is only available for the built-in TV channel? I have a standard Sky Q box on HDMI and it is really starting to irritate when it constantly switches format, I'd rather just set it. Had one show where they were faking old movies at intervals and it was almost unwatchable as it kept changing format.

2. How do you change the Bowers & Wilkins screen saver? Can't find it anywhere.
I also didn't connect the soundbar as having a full AV System I don’t need it. I and others have asked Philips to recognise high end TV users don’t need them, so far to no avail.

As for 1: all HDMIs can be set to a Picture Format, but so as not to scale this should be set to Original. Setting to Widescreen might work for your Sky Box, unless you can find a format setting in to help? I have an old Sky HD box that works fine using Original Format.

As for 2: I’ve never know Philips allow you to change the screen saver? I guess they did some kind of ‘marketing deal’ with B&W to show this and not a Philips logo. Probably makes sense for those that use the soundbar for music with no video, though I would have thought most folk would chose to use the video off mode.

I also didn't connect the soundbar as having a full AV System I don’t need it. I and others have asked Philips to recognise high end TV users don’t need them, so far to no avail.

As for 1: all HDMIs can be set to a Picture Format, but so as not to scale this should be set to Original. Setting to Widescreen might work for your Sky Box, unless you can find a format setting in to help? I have an old Sky HD box that works fine using Original Format.

As for 2: I’ve never know Philips allow you to change the screen saver? I guess they did some kind of ‘marketing deal’ with B&W to show this and not a Philips logo. Probably makes sense for those that use the soundbar for music with no video, though I would have thought most folk would chose to use the video off mode.
Thanks for the reply.

I have no idea what happened since yesterday, but 'Picture format' was greyed out yesterday. Today it's not and I can fix the issue. So happy on that one.

Did wonder whether the soundbar could be wired with an HDMI to repurpose it, took out 40+ screws and it was still absolutely solid. Couldn't get into it at all! Might try again at some point or see if existing connector can be changed.

Will play with the android screen saver to see if this can override the B+W one.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom