Promoted Philips OLED+936 and OLED+986 – continuous improvements bring a new reference performance.

One thing I have been wondering is when it says it has dual chips, does each 936 / 986 have two Mediatek MT5895 SOCs or is it another custom SOC that there are two of?
SoC's are an integration chip. They handle integration of CPU, memory, wifi, hdmi ect.
The MT5895 allows all the separate components to talk to each other
The duel chip relates to the P5 processor
Think of it like the graphics card in your PC
and the mediatek like the motherboard chipset
Managing all the attached features, WiFi, Bluetooth, hdmi, usb.
I believe the android smart features are also run on the mediatek chip.

Last edited:
SoC's are an integration chip. They handle integration of CPU, memory, wifi, hdmi ect.
Thank you MALANT, that makes perfect sense, it's like it the 936 / 986 have twice the number of GPU cores as the 706 / 806 / 856

Thank you MALANT, that makes perfect sense, it's like it the 936 / 986 have twice the number of GPU cores as the 706 / 806 / 856
Dont take my graphics card analogy literally.

I think the addition of a 2nd P5 was to accommodate the additional AI features that are exclusive to these models.

Dont take my graphics card analogy literally.

I think the addition of a 2nd P5 was to accommodate the additional AI features that are exclusive to these models.
Sure, though these days GPUs are more than just graphics processors! For me the more advanced logo detection is really desirable, my kids and lockdown have ruined my LG 2017 OLED with all the channel logos.

+++ P5 is not SOc mediatek. This is exactly the image processor.+

I have a question.

Having preordered the 65'' 936 (got a great price, no surprise to forum members)
Also ordered a Panasonic 820 4k blueray player to compliment

I see the blueray has a seperate audio HDMI port
And the 936 has an eARC port

Is it necessary to connect these ports together to receive DTS audio from the player to the TV and therebye sent to the B&W soundbar???

Dont have any knowlege of the DTS/DTSx/Dolbyatmos formats so some help explaining the setup needed would be helpful.

Last edited:
I have a question.

Having preordered the 65'' 936 (got a great price, no surprise to forum members)
Also ordered a Panasonic 820 4k blueray player to compliment

I see the blueray has a seperate audio HDMI port
And the 936 has an eARC port

Is it necessary to connect these ports together to receive DTS audio from the player to the TV and therebye sent to the B&W soundbar???

Dont have any knowlege of the DTS/DTSx formats so some help explaining the setup needed would be helpful.
It depends on the kit you have @MALANT

If just the 936 and Blu-ray then connect the latter to HDMI 1 or 2 and the TV will use sound and video coming from the Blu-ray to the TV via the one HDMI lead. No Need for ARC/eARC.

If you have a separate high end AV Amp, then that’s what the second audio HDMI socket on the Blu-ray should be for, so you can feed the TV with video using HDMI 1 or 2 and the sound goes straight to the AV Amp using the Audio HDMI. This means you don’t use the AV Amp as a video switch to the TV.

You only need ARC/eARC when you want sound from the TV to be sent back to a separate AV Amp or Soundbar - I think the B&W speakers in the 936 are probably better than most Soundbars…

Last edited:
It depends on the kit you have @MALANT

If just the 936 and Blu-ray then connect the latter to HDMI 1 or 2 and the TV will use sound and video coming from the Blu-ray to the TV via the one HDMI lead. No Need for ARC/eARC.

If you have a separate high end AV Amp, then that’s what the second audio HDMI socket on the Blu-ray should be for, so you can feed the TV with video using HDMI 1 or 2 and the sound goes straight to the AV Amp using the Audio HDMI. This means you don’t use the AV Amp as a video switch to the TV.

You only need ARC/eARC when you want sound from the TV to be sent back to a separate AV Amp or Soundbar - I think the B&W speakers in the 936 are probably better than most Soundbars…
Thanks,
I had a feeling I was overthinking what should be a straightforward setup.
I will use hdmi 1 with an 8k hdmi cable (overkill) to connect the player to the TV.
Looking forward to seeing and hearing Bohemian rhapsody played through the B&W.
The extra Live aid footage should be really cool.

I may return for the 48” 936 next year. I just grabbed a 8506 as I needed to replace a tv that has broken and couldn’t wait any longer, but it has got some fairly nasty vertical banding that just hasn’t faded and the view angles really don’t work for my front room. Still got my hopes for this as an aspirational TV and move the 8506 upstairs in the bedroom and sell on my old 6703.

Last edited:
As no one replied to my odd issue posted above #34 with the BBC iPlayer App disappearing from the Home screen, I presume this is just my 55OLED936?

Still running with TPM211EA_R.001.001.233.012 and I found this morning now I can no longer get into the iPlayer using the green/red buttons either. Searching for the App and I again get the display saying “Your device isn’t compatible with this version”.

I decided to use the reinstall tv function and I now have the iPlayer App back on my Home screen and it works fine again, complete with UHD/HLG programmes available…
… just need to reapply all my settings, again!

Still just me?

Hi
I just checked BBC iPlayer is on my Home page. I logged in and it seems to be working. Software is the same as yours.
I had a strange problem last night I managed to totally kill the audio. I paired my bluetooth head phones and watched a movie from my NAS, all of a sudden I lost audio. I disconnected, re-paired the headphones, turned TV on/off, checked audio setting nothing from TV speakers or headphones.
I unplugged the TV then plugged back in and TV restarted with the Android logo and breathed a sigh of relief as all was working again.

Hi
I just checked BBC iPlayer is on my Home page. I logged in and it seems to be working. Software is the same as yours.
I had a strange problem last night I managed to totally kill the audio. I paired my bluetooth head phones and watched a movie from my NAS, all of a sudden I lost audio. I disconnected, re-paired the headphones, turned TV on/off, checked audio setting nothing from TV speakers or headphones.
I unplugged the TV then plugged back in and TV restarted with the Android logo and breathed a sigh of relief as all was working again.
Thanks for checking the iPlayer App @covlad must just be me :-(

Interesting about your loss of sound, as after I’d paired and used Bluetooth headphones last week they worked fine. I was listening to TV audio, however, after a while it turned off all my AV Amp connected speakers except for the stereo pair! At the time the AV Amp was being used by someone else to listen to Apple Air Play to the AV Amp from an iPad. I couldn’t get my other speakers connected to the AV Amp active until I booted the TV!
Seems like the TV can communicate with connected HDMI via eARC and kill sound sources?

Instead of pulling the TVs plug try using its Reboot function
… Settings, Android settings, Device Preferences, at the bottom of this list is Reboot.

This should be the same as pulling the plug on a computer, which the TV is. This had moved since my previous Philips 9002, folk with the new 806/856 had said it wasn’t available to them, hopefully, an upgrade has bought it back for them too.

These crazy issues are stalling a mini review I‘m going to post, having amazingly great pictures is all very good but some of the issues I’ve hit are maddening :-(

Dears,
Could you tell me if it's possible to remove the soundbar from the 65OLED936 ?
I have my own Harman Kardon soundbar (with sub), and I love the sound of it.
Thanks !

Dears,
Could you tell me if it's possible to remove the soundbar from the 65OLED936 ?
I have my own Harman Kardon soundbar (with sub), and I love the sound of it.
Thanks !
No problem, just don’t attach it, that‘s what I did as I have a full AV System. You’ll need to connect the TVs HDMI ARC or eARC as you probably do now with the HK.

It’s also the stand, so you’ll need to find a stand that can use the 30cm VESA hole mounts in the TV and hold the weight of the TV minus the supplied B&W Soundbar. Or mount on the wall if convenient.

My stand has enough clearance for my rather large centre speaker to sit on its large baseplate, I’ll dig out a link and post it.
Update: The one I use is for up to 65“ and 30Kg, the 65OLED936 is 23.5Kg without the Soundbar/Stand. Looks like the folk I got it from only have one B Stock available but there are others sellers and other makes of stand.

Last edited:
No problem, just don’t attach it, that‘s what I did as I have a full AV System. You’ll need to connect the TVs HDMI ARC or eARC as you probably do now with the HK.

It’s also the stand, so you’ll need to find a stand that can use the 30cm VESA hole mounts in the TV and hold the weight of the TV minus the supplied B&W Soundbar. Or mount on the wall if convenient.

My stand has enough clearance for my rather large centre speaker to sit on its large baseplate, I’ll dig out a link and post it.
Update: The one I use is for up to 65“ and 30Kg, the 65OLED936 is 23.5Kg without the Soundbar/Stand. Looks like the folk I got it from only have one B Stock available but there are others sellers and other makes of stand.
Thank you ! I already have the Erard Fit-Ip XL, so it should be perfect :

Fit-up xl - Pied tv de table universel de 40'' à 65'' - Ref 035310 - Les meubles tv

I was pleased to receive my 55OLED936 last Tuesday, after receiving a marketing email from Philips that linked to their website with a ‘buy from Richer Sounds’ link, really helpful as I’d kept asking I wanted one when available to update from my 2017 55POS9002…
After quite a bit of picture tuning I’m exceedingly impressed with HD, UHD HDR and Dolby Vision.

Odd issue with BBC iPlayer:
The TV had an update after install and I was pleased to see UHD HLG worked with the iPlayer…
… then on Saturday there was update TPM211EA_R.001.001.233.012.
After this update the iPlayer App had disappeared from the Home screen and when I searched for it and found the App the page said something like “this version is not compatible with your device“.
The good news is that I can still get into the iPlayer and UHD HLG still works, but I have to press ‘green’ or ‘red’ buttons while watching a BBC 1 or 2 programme and get back to its main menu…
any idea why it’s missing from the Home screen?
It‘s also not in the the Philips collection or when searching the Google store.
The iPlayer App is updating so this is only an inconvenience.
Update, lost iPlayer altogether :-(
Well, yesterday when the TV was turned on, the above issue ended up with not being able to get onto the iPlayer, plus I also noticed loss of the terrestrial TV channel logos. Then, after trying a retune add channels, I ended up on channel 250, the BBC Red Channel saying how I could use this to run iPlayer, but it was still missing!

Decided to perform a full TV reinstall and the iPlayer came back as did the TV Channel Logos…
… guess it’s just me having to do this within a week of a new TV.

Update, lost iPlayer altogether :-(
Well, yesterday when the TV was turned on, the above issue ended up with not being able to get onto the iPlayer, plus I also noticed loss of the terrestrial TV channel logos. Then, after trying a retune add channels, I ended up on channel 250, the BBC Red Channel saying how I could use this to run iPlayer, but it was still missing!

Decided to perform a full TV reinstall and the iPlayer came back as did the TV Channel Logos…
… guess it’s just me having to do this within a week of a new TV.
Not easy to narrow down this one and requires time or technical team involvement. Do you have any more issues with other apps? Or is iPlayer is your main daily app, did it update itself recently? Sometimes app updates are evil as could bring new bugs this happened few times with BBC apps...
Also when you got your new tv did it update its firmware by any chance? Sometimes firmware updates could corrupt certain areas (or just not go that well) of system hence manufacturer would ask to reinstall tv. That way new firmware takes fresh configuration and activates required changes. If other users with same tv do not experience same issue with same app, then well could be that you have hardware fault somewhere. As example corrupt memory etc could cause some unstable behaviours like tv reboots or power ups with no reason, but these are rare.
See how it works now after full reinstall.

Was about to reply with something similar but "AVtest" has summed it up perfectly.
I have asked my wife who watches the TV a lot more than myself to keep an eye out for any disappearing catch-up apps.
Intermittent faults are a nightmare to pin down especially on a device like this. If it happens only after a fair amount of time may be hardware and heat related. Hopefully now you have done a reinstall all will be good.

I'll certainly report here if I experience this.

Finally posted a mini 55OLED936 review, unfortunately several issues delayed it…
I love the pictures but had to perform a full Reinstall TV to get over some issues and reapply all settings :-(
As not that many settings have to be changed it’s not much of a pain to use the Reinstall TV and reapply, however, the last time I had to keep doing this was more than a decade ago.
Might just be me?

55OLED936, My settings plus a mini review, delayed a couple of weeks as a few issues
… as at:

I am getting delivery of my new 936 tomorrow , Well done richer sounds, over a week ahead of schedule

I am getting delivery of my new 936 tomorrow , Well done richer sounds, over a week ahead of schedule
Nice one... Are you subscribed to any streaming services, such as: Amazon Prime Video, Netflix, Disney+, etc?

Being an television that runs on Android I'm interested to know how well it can process video that has been encoded at different frame-rates.

Noted that richer sounds have taken the 936 off their website. Maybe updating the page

Must have been updating the website with black Friday deals

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom