Promoted Philips OLED+936 and OLED+986 – continuous improvements bring a new reference performance.

HouseofMu

Here is a sound capture I made of the random morning noise
I've had progress with the issue of soundbar making a random short hiss/whitenoise when in standby as Philips sent an engineer and replaced the powerboard. Of course there's no evidence the issue is caused by that board as opposed to being a firmware issue but at least they're trying.
Ironically, it hasn't happened as much in the past month, but lets see if this fixes it completely?

BTW, the internals are very neat, just three boards laid next to each other. 1. Power 2. Panel driver 3. System board. Whole operation only took about 20mins. He didn't have any spare screws left after rebuilding, unlike when I dismantle something ;)

Claudio67

Standard Member
I've had progress with the issue of soundbar making a random short hiss/whitenoise when in standby as Philips sent an engineer and replaced the powerboard. Of course there's no evidence the issue is caused by that board as opposed to being a firmware issue but at least they're trying.
Ironically, it hasn't happened as much in the past month, but lets see if this fixes it completely?

BTW, the internals are very neat, just three boards laid next to each other. 1. Power 2. Panel driver 3. System board. Whole operation only took about 20mins. He didn't have any spare screws left after rebuilding, unlike when I dismantle something ;)

Thanks for the comment. Will be interesting to know if this is fixing the issue for good. The issue is still there on my end even when switching TV off from the home page. I was hoping on the problem being identified by Philips and fixed with a new firmware but there has been no release for more than a month now (and it looks like now the root cause might be HW from your own experience). I will shift gear and contact service support.

Viruslav

My 936 has those hiss/noises while being "turned off" for many hours too.

Also I have bias white light in all Follow Video modes including Game mode.

rb5201

936 owner here.

Can't comment on Sonos but here's my thoughts.

Ambilight is lovely and I wouldn't want a TV without it moving forward but...

Like many here, I'm quite disgusted with Philips' false advertising of the 936's specs re:4k/120hz. Given your gaming needs, 4k/120hz may be important as games on PS5 begin to take advantage of this.

I'm very happy with the soundbar of the 936, but other than knowing it can't compare to even a modest dedicated surround sound set up, can't really say much more! (Though I am looking at getting a subwoofer in the near future)

The 806 is poised to be updated to allow 4k/120hz so out of the two Phillipses you're interested in, the 806 would seem to make more sense. Note that the 806 only has 3 sided Ambilight (I think).

To complicate matters, the new Philips 807 will have an even brighter EX panel and should support 4k/120hz out of the box. I also think it will have 4 sided Ambilight, which itself will be updated for this year with finer colour control. Also of interest to you with this model will be the fact that 807 will have a "gamebar" for adjusting picture settings a la LG.

The C1 is a highly regarded and capable panel, with good prices available. Especially as the C2 release is round the corner. I think the C2 will use the newest EX panel too.

As much as would love to send a message to Philips re: 4k/120hz, it's not a deal breaker for me and I do love my 936. I also got lucky with an open box deal at RS so paid much less than the £1800 I was prepared to pay. I've lusted after an oled since the tech was first demoed probably 15 years ago!

Your money, your choice. My thoughts?

Ambilight is worth it.
Keep your Sonos and look into the 806 (if you want something very soon) or 807 (if you can wait for a few months after release for the price to drop.)

I'm fully aware that my recommendation for a Philips will go down like a sack of faecal matter on this thread! 🙂

Hope that helps.
Hi, thanks for the detailed reply.

With the above im now leaning to 806 or c1, but might actually be better to wait a while for the price drop for the 807 as I'm not in a rush. Still pretty happy with my current Sony xf9005, just fancy oled to see how ps5 looks on it.

Ambilight issues are worrying me now though!

hdasmith

Standard Member
Hi all, and particularly @Philips TV PQ ,

Is anyone else having a problem with Dolby Vision from Apple TV 4k? I have two, first and second gen 4ks, tried many cables as well. The tv says it only ever outputs 8-bit rgb. With HDR(+), the output is perfect 4:4:4.

I saw this was an issue in the past, in 2020 or so, so thought Philips wouldn’t have repeated the same mistake again - clearly lessons learned processes aren’t happening.

Very disappointing!

AlexanderVS

Is anyone else having a problem with Dolby Vision from Apple TV 4k? I have two, first and second gen 4ks, tried many cables as well. The tv says it only ever outputs 8-bit rgb. With HDR(+), the output is perfect 4:4:4.
BTW, yes! I've also noticed that when 4K Dolby Vision content is played back from an external HDMI source which is for sure 12-bit 4:4:4, TV always says that color depth is 8-bit!!

And another observation: flapping Dolby Vision playback (when screen goes off and on and off etc.) is often linked to eARC (no matter how strange it may seem) and switching the AV receiver connected via eARC off and back on helps to stop it. (Also, disabling "Dolby" notifications sometimes also helps).

erentil

I have checked with the development team. The Ambilight system not dimming sufficiently during black scenes is a recognised issue and we are planning to release a fix as part of a larger firmware update due in mid-Feb.
will this firmware also fix the amblight +hue problem of hue lights (bulbs, gu10 spots, playbars, hue go etc etc) which remain open having a white light instead of turning off completely when the TV shows a completely black scene?

Attachments

• hue.jpg
    hue.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 96
So....

How good are these Philips TV's at displaying regular broadcast television, streaming content via the inbuilt apps and disc based content via an HDMI connected media player?

Clock'd 0ne

So....

How good are these Philips TV's at displaying regular broadcast television, streaming content via the inbuilt apps and disc based content via an HDMI connected media player?
Excellent, I've had no issues with mine and the picture quality is superb.

HDMI 2.1 was pushed way too soon IMO, it's been a minefield and across the board manufacturers have had issues with implementations (look at the HDMI 2.1 bug affecting AV receivers).

I'm not in any way condoning Philips' responses to this but emerging technology always has these issues, [email protected] over HDMI is bleeding edge and frankly should have been the standard for the next gen/mid-gen such as 'PS5 Pro' and not the current gen, which for the most part seems to have few games supporting it and means the systems are probably underpowered from the off. It should have stayed in the domain of PC gamers for much longer.

hdasmith

Standard Member
So....

Superb. As I mentioned in my post, I have no need for 120Hz or VRR, so the picture quality for me is second to none. I just with Dolby Vision worked properly over HDMI.

Any news @Philips TV PQ as to when the February software update is coming out, and what’s going to be included in that fix?

hdasmith

Standard Member
When watching from Apple TV and others (don’t know about Xbox), if you press the “+” button on the bottom right of the remote, and select “Device info”, it tells me that the format is Dolby Vision, but only 8-bit RGB, not 10 or 12-bit as it should be.

This has been noted about other Philips TVs a couple of years back, and was fixed for those, but seems to have come back in for these 2021 TVs - which is very disappointing.

@hdasmith,

See from 6min 50sec onwards: -

Cheers

EDIT: Essentially you need to set the Apple TV's 'HDMI Output' to 'YCbCr' not 'RGB'...

Last edited:

hdasmith

Standard Member
@hdasmith,

Cheers
@hdasmith,

Cheers

@hdasmith,

Cheers

Thank you, I did see this when you first posted it. This isn’t the case on the Philips, there is a significant difference between HDR and DV, where HDR is clearer, brighter and more vibrant than DV from the Apple TV, it’s not just a reporting problem.

In case you missed it...

Have you tried changing the Apple TV's 'HDMI Output' from 'RGB' to 'YCbCr'?

hdasmith

Standard Member
In case you missed it...

Have you tried changing the Apple TV's 'HDMI Output' from 'RGB' to 'YCbCr'?
You don’t have that option when you set the output to DV, it’s only available for SDR and HDR. I guess it’s because DV is meant to be calibrated between devices for best quality picture, unlike standard HDR.

MikeyGold

Standard Member
You don’t have that option when you set the output to DV, it’s only available for SDR and HDR. I guess it’s because DV is meant to be calibrated between devices for best quality picture, unlike standard HDR.
Okay this is going to sound counter intuitive and that is because as a UX designer I really believe it is, but please trust me as it took me a while to realise myself. You do not need to enable Dolby Vision in the Apple TV menu to view it, and I really recommend you don't. For the best results set the Apple TV to 4K SDR 60 hrz and then match dynamic range and content. Then set the chroma to YUV 4:4:4. What this does is only active Dolby Vision when the source is DV, the home screen will look dull in comparison, and that is because the Apple TV will no longer attempt to upscale everything to DV, your screen will likely fair better as a result too, my last OLED suffered from burn in due to always having the home screen as DV. With these magical settings the content will always show at its best.

hdasmith

Standard Member
Okay this is going to sound counter intuitive and that is because as a UX designer I really believe it is, but please trust me as it took me a while to realise myself. You do not need to enable Dolby Vision in the Apple TV menu to view it, and I really recommend you don't. For the best results set the Apple TV to 4K SDR 60 hrz and then match dynamic range and content. Then set the chroma to YUV 4:4:4. What this does is only active Dolby Vision when the source is DV, the home screen will look dull in comparison, and that is because the Apple TV will no longer attempt to upscale everything to DV, your screen will likely fair better as a result too, my last OLED suffered from burn in due to always having the home screen as DV. With these magical settings the content will always show at its best.
Thank you. If you set match content on, you can have the main choice as whatever, it will always adjust to whatever the content is suppose supplied in, regardless of whether DV of chosen primarily.

Try having DV 60Hz chosen, then watching something on Amazon prime for example. It will change to HDR instead. iPlayer, itv hub and others will change to SDR.

dadou0067

Standard Member
I also would like to know if philips will implement the game bar mode that they talk about in the 807 on the last year gen tv like the 806 et 936 986 serie? i am a dreamer. but i like to believe it…it just a program it’s must be capable to do it each tv they built i think.
If somebody know something,nice to have
some information. thank you 🙂

Sharpion3D

Standard Member
Ordered Philips 986. Now expected in 2 weeks.
Feel free to ask if you have any questions.

Attachments

• 1645419446872.jpg
    1645419446872.jpg
    324.7 KB · Views: 50

Iruwen

Standard Member
I don't have most of these issues, I'm still on the original firmware because of the the ambilight issue though. New firmware should be out within 2-3 weeks, maybe that fixes some of that stuff.

sleepy3yes

Standard Member
Apologies for the delay.

The official company response is below:

Please allow us to clarify our earlier statement.

As mentioned, the priority when developing the OLED+936 and OLED+986 was to offer the very best picture quality we could achieve for all sources of content including movies, sports and gaming.

The twin chip solution that we have specified not only achieves the best picture quality – thanks to its more powerful AI - but also offers the best anti-burn protection currently available.

Part of the specification of the sets was to include HDMI 2.1 connectivity and 4K 120Hz compatibility. This has happened and we believe that the OLED+936 and OLED+986 satisfy both of those requirements and that the sets match the specification as described in all of Philips TV’s sales and marketing materials.

As with most TV manufacturers, TP Vision works with system partners when developing our platforms and we believed as part of an ongoing development process and that we would be able to add 4K 120Hz VRR compatibility with full 4K resolution on the display at a later date.

However, we have been informed that 4K 120Hz compatibility can currently only extend to accepting the signal and that the set’s display of the content needs to halve the resolution.

The development process continues and the current situation is that we can confirm that the OLED806 and forthcoming OLED807 will be able to be updated but not the twin-chip products.

However, we do not believe this is a disadvantage because to our knowledge none of the current or forthcoming games have been originally created at a 4K 120 Hz frame rate and to output games in 4K 120 Hz therefore requires the latest gaming consoles to upscale the content - with upscaling producing a less sharp result that if the game is rendered natively in 4K.

We also believe that neither of the latest game consoles has the processing power to output 4K 120Hz signals at full resolution and they will also need to lower picture resolution to achieve that frame rate. VRR is one attempt to offer a solution and, in the case where the source device has insufficient processing power, will automatically reduce the frame rate to keep high resolution or alternatively can be selected to keep the frame rate high (120Hz) if that is important for the game, while accepting a loss in resolution. Either way the latest generation of consoles cannot currently render games in full resolution 4K while offering higher frame rates. It is either/or.

We cannot comment on the situation with gaming PCs because each model tends to have a wide scope for customization.

To confirm, we believe that both the OLED+936 and OLED+986 offer the best picture quality currently available in the market for all your movies, soaps, sports, …etc, that both sets correctly meet their specifications for HDMI 2.1 connectivity and 4K 120Hz compatibility as communicated and that consumers will get the best gaming picture quality possible, either at 60Hz with full 4k resolution for excellent sharpness or at 120Hz with half vertical resolution for excellent motion performance.

Any customers wanting to discuss the situation further is welcome to do so by emailing : [email protected]

Thank you.

Thank you for your reply albeit late but at least its here, we can appreciate the willingness to engage with the forum users, this tho doesn't make the matter any less grave.

I notice in the official statement the word "believe" is used quite often and the same moment they use it, they are in fact making their whole point moot.

You cannot sell a "premium" product with false specifications (because its not stated anywhere that the resolution with be halved at 120hz no matter what, vrr or not), if you weren't certain of being able to do so it would have been honest to at least put a * next to the resolutions supported stating "implementation in development*, it would have been still wrong on the long run as we see now but more clear than what we have now.

When selling a "premium" for a high price tag (i spent almost 5000 euro for my 986) you cannot offer specifications "in faith" or "believing" they will be implemented without being certain and worst of all without mentioning it. Because "believe" me, alot of us wouldn't have bought these premium sets knowing that.

Also its inherently wrong to "believe" there won't be systems without enough power to support 4k/120hz, it the most "unbelievable" point of the whole statement. First of all, its quite an admission of guilt trying to gaslight the fact that we spent so much hard earned money "believing" in an investment that will keep on giving on the long run, able to support future high quality signals. PC are able to do that already so the whole thing makes no sense, to put it simple its like selling a new ice cream taste, that some can already taste and feel while others need to slowly get used to it, and then when they cannot taste tell them "its okay you wouldn't be able to taste it anyway".

TL,DR the half resolution problem should have been put in the specifications to boot, because VRR or not, the TVs cannot achieve 4k/120hz no matter what.

I am not expert in these things, but I believe this should be investigated if really this falls into normal market standards and rules.

AdtAdt57

Apologies for the delay.

The official company response is below:

Please allow us to clarify our earlier statement.

As mentioned, the priority when developing the OLED+936 and OLED+986 was to offer the very best picture quality we could achieve for all sources of content including movies, sports and gaming.

The twin chip solution that we have specified not only achieves the best picture quality – thanks to its more powerful AI - but also offers the best anti-burn protection currently available.

Part of the specification of the sets was to include HDMI 2.1 connectivity and 4K 120Hz compatibility. This has happened and we believe that the OLED+936 and OLED+986 satisfy both of those requirements and that the sets match the specification as described in all of Philips TV’s sales and marketing materials.

As with most TV manufacturers, TP Vision works with system partners when developing our platforms and we believed as part of an ongoing development process and that we would be able to add 4K 120Hz VRR compatibility with full 4K resolution on the display at a later date.

However, we have been informed that 4K 120Hz compatibility can currently only extend to accepting the signal and that the set’s display of the content needs to halve the resolution.

The development process continues and the current situation is that we can confirm that the OLED806 and forthcoming OLED807 will be able to be updated but not the twin-chip products.

However, we do not believe this is a disadvantage because to our knowledge none of the current or forthcoming games have been originally created at a 4K 120 Hz frame rate and to output games in 4K 120 Hz therefore requires the latest gaming consoles to upscale the content - with upscaling producing a less sharp result that if the game is rendered natively in 4K.

We also believe that neither of the latest game consoles has the processing power to output 4K 120Hz signals at full resolution and they will also need to lower picture resolution to achieve that frame rate. VRR is one attempt to offer a solution and, in the case where the source device has insufficient processing power, will automatically reduce the frame rate to keep high resolution or alternatively can be selected to keep the frame rate high (120Hz) if that is important for the game, while accepting a loss in resolution. Either way the latest generation of consoles cannot currently render games in full resolution 4K while offering higher frame rates. It is either/or.

We cannot comment on the situation with gaming PCs because each model tends to have a wide scope for customization.

To confirm, we believe that both the OLED+936 and OLED+986 offer the best picture quality currently available in the market for all your movies, soaps, sports, …etc, that both sets correctly meet their specifications for HDMI 2.1 connectivity and 4K 120Hz compatibility as communicated and that consumers will get the best gaming picture quality possible, either at 60Hz with full 4k resolution for excellent sharpness or at 120Hz with half vertical resolution for excellent motion performance.

Any customers wanting to discuss the situation further is welcome to do so by emailing : [email protected]

Thank you.

@Philips TV PQ - I‘m grateful for the explanation above and, while I understand gamers not being happy, as I don‘t do gaming on my 936 I don’t see a streaming Films/TV App or HDMI connected box requiring above 4K/60Hz Dolby Vision/HDR10/10+ for the reasonable life of this TV…
… so I can finally live with the situation.

I‘m hoping, however, you could comment on my two issues with my 936 as being known and fixed by the upcoming new release - I’m still waiting for - still on TPM211EA_R.001.001.233.026

1: I frequently, once/twice a week, lose sound for under a minute using either ARC or eARC with HDMI 2. I only use a high end external AV Amp, not the supplied B&W Soundbar. I’ve tried two, a Denon AVC-X6500H and AVC-A110. This occurs with TV terrestrial channels and Apps including BBC iPlayer, Netflix, Amazon Prime, Disney+, Apple TV+… I can reduce the occurrence by rebooting the TV at least once a week.

2: Since the last s/w update or so the Ambilight doesn’t darken as much when a scene goes very dark or black…
… as I’ve only just seen @AlexanderVS mentioned in Promoted - Philips OLED+936 and OLED+986 – continuous improvements bring a new reference performance.

Before the update, and always with my many previous Philips TV Ambilights, if a scene was very dark the Ambilight light also almost disappeared. I’ve been told this might be due to some Video ‘expert’s saying the ambilight level should be a fixed higher level even when ‘follow video’ mode is used. I respectfully request that you either go back to how it was, or offer this as an option. In a home theatre with a dark coloured scene the ambilight glows white, even with a totally back screen. This is most annoying, as eyes can’t adjust to see detail in dark HDR/Dolby Vision scenes.

The latest video from AVForums

Maverick UK Premiere IMAX Review + Top Gun, Tom Cruise, Tony Scott and 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

dCS announces Bartók 2.0 firmware upgrade
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Audiovector unveils QR 7 loudspeaker
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
What's new on UK streaming services for June 2022
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
LG UltraGear Gaming Monitors get VESA certification