Promoted Philips OLED+936 and OLED+986 – continuous improvements bring a new reference performance.

Alinutz

Standard Member
isn't there a general mail address where we can send this ? not to country specific service desk ? maybe we can reach someone who would listen, because service desk doesn't seem to ...

sleepy3yes

Standard Member
Apologies for the delay and any confusion with our communication – we have been in detailed discussions with our engineering team and an outside technical partner. This has been an ongoing process, so we have not been in a position to give a definitive answer.

We can now tell you that the single chip Philips 2021 OLED TVs – OLED 806 etc – can currently display 4K 120Hz content in full resolution and will be updated in 2022 to be able to display 4k 120Hz VRR content in full resolution

With regards to the OLED+936/986 - as our most premium sets - we have selected a special twin chip picture processing engine to guarantee the absolute best picture quality performance.

Our most critical decision was whether our most premium sets should be twin chip without 4K 120Hz VRR full resolution or single chip with 4K 120HZ VRR and we believe – given the extremely limited availability of genuine 4k 120Hz VRR content - that the PQ benefits of the twin chip surpass the ability to display 4K 120Hz in full resolution.

As a result, the OLED+936/986 will not be able to handle 4K 120Hz VRR with full resolution- they will accept the signal but will downscale the content to half resolution.

We are currently still evaluating whether it will be possible for a twin chip solution with 4K 120HZ VRR at full resolution in future.

We appreciate your engaging with the forums but please address the issues regarding the ambilight not behaving correctly during black scenes highlighted in this thread, thank you.

Viruslav

Regrading the ambilight issue, what I did to mitigate it a little bit was to select the darkest possible shade of my wall color (much darker than the real color of the wall) in Settings. That way the TV seemed to decrease the level of the base white color (always) and increased the level of color light (when the picture on the screen is bright). It's not ideal but it's a little better, I think.

Claudio67

Standard Member
It is overall rather irritating to see Philips parading with their new 2022 products announcements when 2021 products are buggy and not yet working to expectations.

rb5201

Hi all, has anyone with 936 come from a sonos soundbar, and if so how does it compare? Happy to sell the sonos if its similar.
Really can't decide between a c1 or phillips 806 or 936. Mainly used for ps5 and netflix/disney plus.
Like the better gaming from the c1, but think I will love the ambilght. Any thoughts?

Viruslav

Hi! I cannot find a way to use Miracast on my new 936. There is no app or setting and without them the TV seems to be able to connect through Chromecast only. I'd like to be able to use it as a second screen of a Windows PC. Is there a solution?
I'm reposting my question. I can't believe no one uses Miracast/WiDi/Screenshare (not Chromecast!). Any idea?

Viruslav

Edge also
Just use Google Chrome browser to cast you screen to TV
Edge works too. But Chromecast is completely different. I don't like it and it's choppy for me. The TV is marketed as supporting both Miracast and Chromecast but I cannot find a way to use Miracast.

Irik

Standard Member
It is still abnormal that a product that we have paid for 100% does not give us 100% functionality and satisfaction.
Wobbly features (image cleaning menu -> noise cleaning totally inoperative.. ultra resolution (nothing seen!) maybe I need to consult an ophthalmologist), Dolby vision on HDMI not yet completely repaired - derails from time to time time.., problems with ambilight, problem with Earc.., with the 120Hz which must be corrected soon regarding the 706-806-856 models (let's wait and see...) but nothing for the 936-956 (shameful !) ................etc ! and I'm not talking about minor bugs where in some menus the minimum is the maximum and vice versa!
So isn't it possible to inform the press about all our troubles with this 8x6 - 9x6 series and the behavior of Philips? Does any of you know someone in the media who could shake the coconut tree?
If not, what else to do? Start a petition on 'change.org' or similar site asking Philips to honor all advertised features (which we paid for) and where people could sign it across Europe and the UK?
As far as I'm concerned, Philips never again! Especially since now there are alternatives with regard to the ambilight..
Sorry for English which is not my language.
Have a lovely day everybody.

Need a PhD in TV

Standard Member
Hi all, has anyone with 936 come from a sonos soundbar, and if so how does it compare? Happy to sell the sonos if its similar.
Really can't decide between a c1 or phillips 806 or 936. Mainly used for ps5 and netflix/disney plus.
Like the better gaming from the c1, but think I will love the ambilght. Any thoughts?
936 owner here.

Can't comment on Sonos but here's my thoughts.

Ambilight is lovely and I wouldn't want a TV without it moving forward but...

Like many here, I'm quite disgusted with Philips' false advertising of the 936's specs re:4k/120hz. Given your gaming needs, 4k/120hz may be important as games on PS5 begin to take advantage of this.

I'm very happy with the soundbar of the 936, but other than knowing it can't compare to even a modest dedicated surround sound set up, can't really say much more! (Though I am looking at getting a subwoofer in the near future)

The 806 is poised to be updated to allow 4k/120hz so out of the two Phillipses you're interested in, the 806 would seem to make more sense. Note that the 806 only has 3 sided Ambilight (I think).

To complicate matters, the new Philips 807 will have an even brighter EX panel and should support 4k/120hz out of the box. I also think it will have 4 sided Ambilight, which itself will be updated for this year with finer colour control. Also of interest to you with this model will be the fact that 807 will have a "gamebar" for adjusting picture settings a la LG.

The C1 is a highly regarded and capable panel, with good prices available. Especially as the C2 release is round the corner. I think the C2 will use the newest EX panel too.

As much as would love to send a message to Philips re: 4k/120hz, it's not a deal breaker for me and I do love my 936. I also got lucky with an open box deal at RS so paid much less than the £1800 I was prepared to pay. I've lusted after an oled since the tech was first demoed probably 15 years ago!

Your money, your choice. My thoughts?

Ambilight is worth it.
Keep your Sonos and look into the 806 (if you want something very soon) or 807 (if you can wait for a few months after release for the price to drop.)

I'm fully aware that my recommendation for a Philips will go down like a sack of faecal matter on this thread! 🙂

Hope that helps.

Last edited:

Need a PhD in TV

Standard Member
It is for sure (and was the main reason for me to select Philips (65OLED936)), but beware of .022 and .026 FW updates which "destroy" its whole idea (I presume you've seen several threads here (Ambilight thread 1, Ambilight thread 2, Ambilight thread 3 - but just in case...)
Cheers for this. Just been having a little skim read of those threads. Could you PM me the link for the firmware downgrade please? I presume it's a copy to USB and then into the TV job?

Also... Does the downgrade remove any other functionality that may have been in the .026 update?

AlexanderVS

Cheers for this. Just been having a little skim read of those threads. Could you PM me the link for the firmware downgrade please? I presume it's a copy to USB and then into the TV job?

Also... Does the downgrade remove any other functionality that may have been in the .026 update?
Sure, the link is in your PM )

Yes, you have to unzip the file and follow the steps from the User Manual.

Are you on .026?

In fact it is not the downgrade, this is a newer FW build (Jan 3, 2022) than .026 FW. I do not think it got any new bugs or cut functionality, but I suggest that you review the mentioned threads thoroughly before the upgrade.

Daniel Ewen

Standard Member
@Philips TV PQ I am cross posting this post from this forum here: Philips Ambilight TV, any way to make the Ambilight lights go off on black screen during scenes? as I am most dissatisfied with recent Amblight "improvements" to both the 65OLED935/12 and the 65OLED936/12.

I have written to my retailer asking for their assistance with this matter.

As my original purchase was the 65OLED935/12, which on arrival out-of-the-box, had an RTM Ambilight behaviour where ALL Follow Video modes would turn off completely, inline with the contrast of the OLED panel, the change or in Philips own words "improvement" implemented in FW: TPM191E_R.101.002.098.000 fundamentally changed this Ambilight behaviour and thus voided the products original RTM specification.

This fundamental Ambilight FW change on the 65OLED935/12 was rolled over to the 65OLED936/12 and was the out-of-the-box behaviour. However, FW: TPM211EA_R.001.001.233.026 has now fundamentally changed the Ambilight Follow Video modes on the 65OLED936/12, thus voiding this products original RTM specification.

I feel that it is wrong that a manufacturer can fundamentally change a products behaviour post RTM and/or post purchase, to the point where it voids the products original RTM design and functionality. I am happy for manufacturers to "improve" their products, but this MUST be done as an addition, not as a replacement for original RTM functionality.

I am currently waiting to hear back from my retailer before contacting UK Trading Standards about both these issues.
Dear @Philips TV PQ and fellow forum members,

If you would like Philips to implement an ON/OFF and/or CUSTOM option for persistent bias light during [Ambilight > Follow Video] modes, please upvote this post on the official Philips forum here: https://tv-sound-monitors.philips.c...reen-moments-for-ambilight-follow-video-modes.

Implementing such an option would solve the post RTM product voiding "improvements", where by Ambilight now remains on persistently.

For example, my current 65OLED936/12 with FW: TPM211EA_R.001.001.233.026 means that ALL [Ambilight > Follow Video] modes are, IMHO, almost useless for "normal" everyday viewing. See below image.

Philips Ambilight Persistent White Light Issue with FW TPM211EA_R.001.001.233.026.jpg

Also see these AVForums threads here:

Need a PhD in TV

Standard Member
Sure, the link is in your PM )

Yes, you have to unzip the file and follow the steps from the User Manual.

Are you on .026?

In fact it is not the downgrade, this is a newer FW build (Jan 3, 2022) than .026 FW. I do not think it got any new bugs or cut functionality, but I suggest that you review the mentioned threads thoroughly before the upgrade.
Cheers @AlexanderVS will follow all advice above. Yes, on 0.26.

Philips TV PQ

AVForums Sponsor
We appreciate your engaging with the forums but please address the issues regarding the ambilight not behaving correctly during black scenes highlighted in this thread, thank you.
I have checked with the development team. The Ambilight system not dimming sufficiently during black scenes is a recognised issue and we are planning to release a fix as part of a larger firmware update due in mid-Feb.

Need a PhD in TV

Standard Member
Hi, would you mind posting your findings after the upgrade? I’m thinking of it myself as the ambilight is now worthless since the new update.
If I use the upgraded firmware (after reading the relevant threads previously shared) then yes.

However, given Philips' comment above (#208) I think it is more likely I will hold out for the OTA FW update in a couple of weeks. Presuming Philips keeps to time!🤔

Last edited:

MikeyGold

Standard Member
My most likely solution is to return the 936 and pick up the 807 when it is released, with a decent soundbar like the Sonos Arc.

A shame as I do really like the all in one design of my 936.
I think this will be my play as I really like ambilight, and I don't use the sound due to my existing AV setup. Although according to Philips the picture quality will be not be as good without the dual chip solution.

I hope Philips are ready for all these returns.

Spadess

Standard Member
I have checked with the development team. The Ambilight system not dimming sufficiently during black scenes is a recognised issue and we are planning to release a fix as part of a larger firmware update due in mid-Feb.
By sufficiently, I hope you mean returns to how it functioned when I purchased the tv.

We want there to be an absence of light in black areas as it was before in game mode. That is ALL we are asking and now pleading.

Daniel Ewen

Standard Member
Dear @Philips TV PQ,

Thank you kindly for the above information. Whilst this is of course encouraging news, can I please draw your attention to the following post on the official Philips TV Support Forum: https://tv-sound-monitors.philips.c...reen-moments-for-ambilight-follow-video-modes

In summary, when I purchased the 65OLED935/12, the out-of-the-box RTM behaviour was to fully mimic the OLED panels infinite contrast in ALL Ambilight > Follow Video modes (Standard, Neutral, Sports, Vivid, Game). However, since FW: TPM191E_R.101.002.098.000 the RTM Ambilight > Follow Video behaviour was changed from fully off when the OLED panel was off/dark, to providing a persistent bias light in all Ambilight > Follow Video modes, except Game.

This has significantly changed the original products RTM behaviour/specification, and whilst I appreciate the explanation given for this change, it does however mean that Philips have voided a specific function of the TV, which just so happens to also be its unique selling point.

As a solution for this, it has been proposed that Philips implement a menu option to allow advanced users to turn OFF this new "Always ON" bias light behaviour for all Ambilight > Follow Video modes.

In addition to this Philips could add an [Ambilight > Follow Video > Custom] mode to the existing set of modes (Standard, Natural, Sport, Vivid, Game) with the following settings:
  • Intensity of permanent white light (and ideally - possibility to select cool, neutral or warm)
  • Intensity (brightness) of dynamic light
  • Colour saturation of dynamic light
  • Quickness of Ambilight response
The Philips TV development team appear to have not realised that by "improving" the existing functionality, and by replacing the existing functionality, they have satisfied a particular set of customer requirements, whilst both alienating another set of customers who did not ask for or want this "improvement", plus they have actually voided Philips own product specification, as originally sold.

I hope the concerns of this Forum: Philips Ambilight TV, any way to make the Ambilight lights go off on black screen during scenes? are taken on board by Philips and swiftly actioned by the development team. Many thanks.

Claudio67

Standard Member
There's an overall consensus in this forum I believe that Ambilight should at least offer the possibility to revert back to how it behaved at TV purchase time.

sleepy3yes

Standard Member
thank you for recognizing it, I personally own a 986 and its very distracting, also please notice we wish for the ambilight to actually go off on black scenes as it should rather than having a dim light, its important as having even a very dim light in a dark room totally destroys the idea of pitch black scenes.

MikeyGold

Standard Member
I fully support all your requests for the ambilight to switch of in dark scenes, but please make it an option like what has been previously proposed as I like to have a continuous backlight so as to not strain my eyes, yet also enjoy the coloured ambilight effect.

Spadess

Standard Member
I fully support all your requests for the ambilight to switch of in dark scenes, but please make it an option like what has been previously proposed as I like to have a continuous backlight so as to not strain my eyes, yet also enjoy the coloured ambilight effect.
The key point here is choice like it was originally. I’m still phased as to why only ONE option ‘game’ was to only feature this without light but the supposed outcry that people who strain to watch with the light off in parts has apparently made Philips remove the choice.

In a thread like this with a lot of heated concerns, there really isn’t the need to voice making sure ambilight always stays on as you have four other choices to cater for this already and now five including the ‘game’ setting!

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung S95B QD-OLED Review - A Quantum Leap for OLED!
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

PSB Speakers unveils Passif 50 loudspeaker
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Samsung Gaming Hub goes live
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Huawei unveils FreeBuds Pro 2 true wireless earbuds
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Sony unveils Inzone gaming brand