Promoted Philips OLED+936 and OLED+986 – continuous improvements bring a new reference performance.

goonerbyron

I got mine last Friday , Like the post above , I am not happy with the sound and TBH, I have thought about sending it back and getting the OLED 856 and use my 5.1 set up. I will give it a few more days.

The picture quality i find is excellent and the blacks are black just like my Kuro that i cannot sell!!!!

Remote isn't all that great and could do with the back lights staying on longer, I am looking at using the Logitech Harmony elite remote, At the moment , the 936 isn't on the Logitech system.

Love the amberlight

Have to say I’m very close to cancelling my order. I thought the built in sound bar by B&W would be very good so it is worrying to see people saying it’s not… I have a pretty average £150ish 300w Samsung soundbar and wireless sub atm and would be gutted if this sounded worse.

Also all of the reported issues surrounding eArc, audio sync, 4k/120/VRR etc and I’m not surprised they are knocking £700 off the price straight away.

Even for the £2300 it is costing I could basically buy a LG C1 and Sonos Arc… It’s just the Ambilight I really want and would miss.

malctAN

Maybe my expectations were too high after watching Vincent's video with the guy from B&W.

gszech

Novice Member
Have to say I’m very close to cancelling my order. I thought the built in sound bar by B&W would be very good so it is worrying to see people saying it’s not… I have a pretty average £150ish 300w Samsung soundbar and wireless sub atm and would be gutted if this sounded worse.

Also all of the reported issues surrounding eArc, audio sync, 4k/120/VRR etc and I’m not surprised they are knocking £700 off the price straight away.

Even for the £2300 it is costing I could basically buy a LG C1 and Sonos Arc… It’s just the Ambilight I really want and would miss.
Wait for the TV delivery.
Compare the sound to your Samsung £150ish 300w soundbar, let us know if it's better or worse. Return the TV if not happy.
You are paying hefty premium for built in soundbar and I would expect it to be very good.

peggle

How is the TV picture quality and sound on the native Android apps?
Is there sound lag on Netflix or Amazon Prime apps, or this is only with other devices plugged in to TV ?
Sound seems more or less in sync on the 936's native iPlayer, Prime & Youtube apps at the moment.

Also my Humax Fox T2 seems closer to being in sync than this morning!

rodthenod

Standard Member

Yep @leebyron I'm also considering cancelling my order for 936 65". I was hoping the B&W sound bar would have had better comments. I chose the 936 over the 806 because the price dropped although I originally wanted the 77" 806, compromising on the smaller 936 due to the EVO panel and the B&W Sound bar & also at the time of ordering the steep 4k for the 806 now down to 3k.
My 20 year old mancave/cinema room is getting its last upgrade . I started with 36" Panasonic CRT and currently 50" Panasonic plasma about 14 years old.
My dilemma is still the larger 77"806 which would fill my wall (2.3m x3.2m) using my existing sony amp at present with my two B&O speakers (i still have to upgrade 5.1 speakers at a cost) or stick with my order of the smaller 65"936 with the new EVO panel and the B&W Sound-bar which has good initial reviews from Vincent Teoh,T3 and others and I hoped would have been good enough to fill a large room with sound particularly the atmos speakers firing sound of the ceiling as reviewers have implied, I am also concerned over recent posts regarding the logo dimming on the 936 and the impact that has on screen picture during football etc.
I would be grateful for any advice to help me make a more informed decision 20211109_190441.jpg

peggle

Yep @leebyron I'm also considering cancelling my order for 936 65". I was hoping the B&W sound bar would have had better comments. I would be grateful for any advice to help me make a more informed decision

Yep @leebyron I'm also considering cancelling my order for 936 65". I was hoping the B&W sound bar would have had better comments. I chose the 936 over the 806 because the price dropped although I originally wanted the 77" 806, compromising on the smaller 936 due to the EVO panel and the B&W Sound bar & also at the time of ordering the steep 4k for the 806 now down to 3k.
My 20 year old mancave/cinema room is getting its last upgrade . I started with 36" Panasonic CRT and currently 50" Panasonic plasma about 14 years old.
My dilemma is still the larger 77"806 which would fill my wall (2.3m x3.2m) using my existing sony amp at present with my two B&O speakers (i still have to upgrade 5.1 speakers at a cost) or stick with my order of the smaller 65"936 with the new EVO panel and the B&W Sound-bar which has good initial reviews from Vincent Teoh,T3 and others and I hoped would have been good enough to fill a large room with sound particularly the atmos speakers firing sound of the ceiling as reviewers have implied, I am also concerned over recent posts regarding the logo dimming on the 936 and the impact that has on screen picture during football etc.
I would be grateful for any advice to help me make a more informed decisionView attachment 1600178
B&W are a top end speaker manufacturer. I bought a pair of their DM2's some 50 years ago which I still use when I'm in the other room. They even supplied a replacement tweeter around 15 years ago some 35 years after they were manufactured! They still sound great to me.

I'm confident this is just a problem with the audio level going into the 936's audio amp being too high causing distortion. If I'm right and they can reduce the level a few dB it should sound great.

Hopefully they can also fix the audio/video sync issue.

rodthenod

Standard Member
B&W are a top end speaker manufacturer. I bought a pair of their DM2's some 50 years ago which I still use when I'm in the other room. They even supplied a replacement tweeter around 15 years ago some 35 years after they were manufactured! They still sound great to me.

I'm confident this is just a problem with the audio level going into the 936's audio amp being too high causing distortion. If I'm right and they can reduce the level a few dB it should sound great.

Hopefully they can also fix the audio/video sync issue.
I hope so, I would have expected Philips to have tested the audio/sync issue long before now.

AdtAdt57

I got mine last Friday , Like the post above , I am not happy with the sound and TBH, I have thought about sending it back and getting the OLED 856 and use my 5.1 set up. I will give it a few more days.

The picture quality i find is excellent and the blacks are black just like my Kuro that i cannot sell!!!!

Remote isn't all that great and could do with the back lights staying on longer, I am looking at using the Logitech Harmony elite remote, At the moment , the 936 isn't on the Logitech system.

Love the amberlight

When it comes to the Logitech Harmony I still use the settings for my previous Harmony codes for the 55POS9002. This has all the buttons for my 936 except for Free Play, Prime and Rakuten which I used the learn IR code function. It also has the separate HDMI-1, 2, 3, 4 buttons as I understand the newer TV model numbers in the Harmony Database only have one Sources to scroll through?

See my post below about you’d also lose the EVO panel…

idcard

Hi, I tried 55oled934 and 55oled935 in TV store and sound was quite enough for me. Warm bass and clear voice and clear high frequencies. Music was also fine. Maybe it is not so powerful like on 350W soundbars but it is just enough for everyday use for TV channels and for simple films watching. It must be much better than OLED806, OLED856 with their speakers.

Is anyone here who already has OLED936 and happy about sound? Tell us more what you think and is this clear and warm sound as I heard on previous models (934, 935). If there some artifacts, delays, laggings or audio defects, please write also. Will be fine if Philips also tell us more why it happens and do they have plans to fix it soon.

@Philips TV PQ

Last edited:

malctAN

I would like to know the difference between the sound bar and the a new oled TV, is there really a big difference. I watch a lot of music concert dvds and YouTube

idcard

I would like to know the difference between the sound bar and the a new oled TV, is there really a big difference. I watch a lot of music concert dvds and YouTube
Are you talking about differences between Philips Oled936 (with small soundbar) with another separate soundbar device?

malctAN

Their is a new OLED panel on richer sounds website, it's got like a rear speaker in the centre on the back panel, it's on offer with £400 off, I was wondering what the sound is like and I can connect my old 5.1 to it if needed Philips 55OLED856

You might find the following interesting: -

idcard

In Estonia we do not have 65OLED856 yet. We have 55OLED856 but it is small for me. In same time we do not have here OLED936 also. I am in process of waiting and comparing between 65OLED856 or 65OLED936....

Today I found that Philips also has 55/65OLED876. I think It is same like OLED856 but just different leg and remote.

Last edited:

Tef

ordered the 55in through Curry's, will arrive on Sunday. i was surpised they dropped the price straight down to match 935, Plus another 8% off with employee scheme, that's pretty good deal for me.

I really hope the iplayer app issue will be solved soon as thats like 80% of my family watch time. I will report back on audio. for reference i have B&W mm1, B&W m1 5.1 and KEF Ref 201. Since arrival of my daughter, i have less time to mess with my toys, hence i thought this set will be a good fit-and-forget piece. but let see how it compares.

gszech

Novice Member
How glossy is the OLED936 screen ? I saw the LG C1 at Currys and it was like a mirror.
Can anyone please share a picture of OLED936 TV reflections when TV is on and off.

idcard

Also interesting is this the same like oled806 and Sony a90j? As I saw oled806 was very good aganist lights and Sony looks more glossy than oled806. But for right understating needs to be same conditions. Usually TV staying in different places. :-(

peggle

How glossy is the OLED936 screen ? I saw the LG C1 at Currys and it was like a mirror.
Can anyone please share a picture of OLED936 TV reflections when TV is on and off.
I previously had a 4 year old Philips 9002 OLED which was pretty good at suppressing reflections thanks to its screen coating. It was a big improvement over the set it replaced, a Philips 8007 from 2013.

I find the 936 to be every bit as good as the 9002, maybe even slightly better?

Even with the sun hitting a newspaper next to me, although I can see it's reflection I can clearly see the TV picture through it . With no sun, just daylight in the room there is only a very slight reflection in dark scenes.

Tef

quick feedback after playing around with my set (55in) for a few days. i was going to write a much longer piece, but AVforums' own review came out and pretty much reflects my findings. i will add a few points based on my own experience:

this is my first Philip TV set and wow....ambilight really works. it really adds to the viewing experience.

before it arrived, my most concerning factor is the sound quality not up to the expectation. i can safely say now that im impressed. it's quite detailed and musical. when i assess hifi equipment i often go for how unforgiving it is and this does exactly that. even streaming from Youtube. take Coldplay performance in Jordan as example, you can tell how far Chris Martin is from the mic. even at one point, he got too close and kissed the mic, you can hear it. to me, that's good enough for a integrated sound bar. i certainly cant hear this on my B&W MM-1. However, don't expect it to be better than separate system. my B&W M-1 5.1 has the edge over this. Certainly, a soundbar is still a soundbar, separate speakers for each channel will have much better surround/soundstage projection.

One thing i notice is that the soundbar only comes alive when you crank up the volume. my living room isnt that big (around 5mx4.5m), for just watching news and other non-critical media, im happy with volume at 8-10. may be 11 at most. sometimes even at 5 when my daughter is asleep. However, alot of the details and atmospheric sound won't show up until 12 onwards and by that time the central channel will be so loud, it's getting uncomfortable. i really wish there is a way to tune the speaker, but oh well, it's good enough for me.

One disappointment for me was the motion processing. after all these marketing stuff about twin P5 processor X Y Z etc etc, the amount of artifects i found was simply unacceptable. For example, playing games xbox and pc), typically you have a mini map on the corner, let say your character runs forward and the ground/sky move towards you and the mini map, the processor will try to smooth out and predict whats in the next frame. Instead of a clean cut off when the mini map is overlay on the background, the two get mixed together, forming some kind of ghosting effect. Another one is, if you watch Coldyplay, adventure of a lifetime, when the apes dance, all background are filled with artifects around the ape's limps and body. it's just square after square. i don't even have the motion enhancement turned to max, this is just set to "standard". I now set it to pure cinema or turn it off altogether.

two more minor annoying points:
a, when i turn off the TV by using the remote (or shall i say put it in standby), the ambilight stays on...i then i have to press the ambilight button on the remote 4 times to cycle through the mode until it is off. When i want to turn off, i just want to press once and be done with it. i really dont like this two step process.
b, i think it's trying to be too clever with its features. so let say im on youtube watching certainly video. i turn it off by remote, go to sleep. i come back the next day, turn on the TV with remote, and it will try to resume where i left off..... except...youtube thinks i have paused the whole night and first thing it does is show me yet another advert...thanks...... when i turn on a tv, i just want to watch bbc or whatever channel...not loading a full concert/youtube ad...

anyway, just minor annoyance, ambilight in full effect by itself is impressive enough to ignore these minor points. Next item on the list s to reconnect the subwoofer to see how that enhances the whole lot even more.

Tef

Thanks for checking the iPlayer App @covlad must just be me :-(

Interesting about your loss of sound, as after I’d paired and used Bluetooth headphones last week they worked fine. I was listening to TV audio, however, after a while it turned off all my AV Amp connected speakers except for the stereo pair! At the time the AV Amp was being used by someone else to listen to Apple Air Play to the AV Amp from an iPad. I couldn’t get my other speakers connected to the AV Amp active until I booted the TV!
Seems like the TV can communicate with connected HDMI via eARC and kill sound sources?

Instead of pulling the TVs plug try using its Reboot function
… Settings, Android settings, Device Preferences, at the bottom of this list is Reboot.

This should be the same as pulling the plug on a computer, which the TV is. This had moved since my previous Philips 9002, folk with the new 806/856 had said it wasn’t available to them, hopefully, an upgrade has bought it back for them too.

These crazy issues are stalling a mini review I‘m going to post, having amazingly great pictures is all very good but some of the issues I’ve hit are maddening :-(
Hi, i have auto update setup on mine, iplayer seems fine and not disappear....yet fingers cross

Clock'd 0ne

a, when i turn off the TV by using the remote (or shall i say put it in standby), the ambilight stays on...i then i have to press the ambilight button on the remote 4 times to cycle through the mode until it is off. When i want to turn off, i just want to press once and be done with it. i really dont like this two step process.
My POS9002 has a short delay (5-10 seconds) after turning off the TV before the ambilight fades out, this is possibly the same thing and you might just be being a little impatient :lesson:
I find it useful as in a lounge with no lights on when I turn off the TV at night, there is enough light left for me to leave the room before it shuts off completely.

MALANT

Standard Member
My POS9002 has a short delay (5-10 seconds) after turning off the TV before the ambilight fades out, this is possibly the same thing and you might just be being a little impatient :lesson:
I find it useful as in a lounge with no lights on when I turn off the TV at night, there is enough light left for me to leave the room before it shuts off completely.
Its funny when you find out people do the same as you....Relying on the light from the TV to exit before darkness envelopes

idcard

Next item on the list s to reconnect the subwoofer to see how that enhances the whole lot even more.
Some days ago I tried oled935 with subwoofer Yamaha NS-SW050. It works fine. But I did not like sound of this Yamaha. Somewhere here was discussion about subwoofers and I found that Polk Audio PSW10e is much better option. More inputs and sound is more clear and right. I hope this device will sounds much better.

Is subwoofer and Bass speaker are the same thing? I like how sounds just classics bass speakers but subwoofers sometimes doing strange and not right feelings of bass (like this Yamaha).

One person gave info about these speakers as option for any TV - EDIFIER S2000MKIII
This classics view on speakers. Like we had in 90th. Just Stereo sound. But for watching films I think will better have sound bar as oled936 has.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES '22 TV Announcement Round-up, Plus, Most Anticipated Movies of 2022 and More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

AVForums Podcast: 26th January 2022
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Huawei begins P50 Pocket and P50 Pro smartphone global rollout
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Audioengine launches compact S6 powered subwoofer
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Sky and NOW UK for February 2022