Promoted Philips OLED+936 and OLED+986 – continuous improvements bring a new reference performance.

covlad

Standard Member
Hi
I just checked BBC iPlayer is on my Home page. I logged in and it seems to be working. Software is the same as yours.
I had a strange problem last night I managed to totally kill the audio. I paired my bluetooth head phones and watched a movie from my NAS, all of a sudden I lost audio. I disconnected, re-paired the headphones, turned TV on/off, checked audio setting nothing from TV speakers or headphones.
I unplugged the TV then plugged back in and TV restarted with the Android logo and breathed a sigh of relief as all was working again.

AdtAdt57

Hi
I just checked BBC iPlayer is on my Home page. I logged in and it seems to be working. Software is the same as yours.
I had a strange problem last night I managed to totally kill the audio. I paired my bluetooth head phones and watched a movie from my NAS, all of a sudden I lost audio. I disconnected, re-paired the headphones, turned TV on/off, checked audio setting nothing from TV speakers or headphones.
I unplugged the TV then plugged back in and TV restarted with the Android logo and breathed a sigh of relief as all was working again.
Thanks for checking the iPlayer App @covlad must just be me :-(

Interesting about your loss of sound, as after I’d paired and used Bluetooth headphones last week they worked fine. I was listening to TV audio, however, after a while it turned off all my AV Amp connected speakers except for the stereo pair! At the time the AV Amp was being used by someone else to listen to Apple Air Play to the AV Amp from an iPad. I couldn’t get my other speakers connected to the AV Amp active until I booted the TV!
Seems like the TV can communicate with connected HDMI via eARC and kill sound sources?

Instead of pulling the TVs plug try using its Reboot function
… Settings, Android settings, Device Preferences, at the bottom of this list is Reboot.

This should be the same as pulling the plug on a computer, which the TV is. This had moved since my previous Philips 9002, folk with the new 806/856 had said it wasn’t available to them, hopefully, an upgrade has bought it back for them too.

These crazy issues are stalling a mini review I‘m going to post, having amazingly great pictures is all very good but some of the issues I’ve hit are maddening :-(

eti3me

Novice Member
Dears,
Could you tell me if it's possible to remove the soundbar from the 65OLED936 ?
I have my own Harman Kardon soundbar (with sub), and I love the sound of it.
Thanks !

AdtAdt57

Dears,
Could you tell me if it's possible to remove the soundbar from the 65OLED936 ?
I have my own Harman Kardon soundbar (with sub), and I love the sound of it.
Thanks !
No problem, just don’t attach it, that‘s what I did as I have a full AV System. You’ll need to connect the TVs HDMI ARC or eARC as you probably do now with the HK.

It’s also the stand, so you’ll need to find a stand that can use the 30cm VESA hole mounts in the TV and hold the weight of the TV minus the supplied B&W Soundbar. Or mount on the wall if convenient.

My stand has enough clearance for my rather large centre speaker to sit on its large baseplate, I’ll dig out a link and post it.
Update: The one I use is for up to 65“ and 30Kg, the 65OLED936 is 23.5Kg without the Soundbar/Stand. Looks like the folk I got it from only have one B Stock available but there are others sellers and other makes of stand.

Last edited:

eti3me

Novice Member
No problem, just don’t attach it, that‘s what I did as I have a full AV System. You’ll need to connect the TVs HDMI ARC or eARC as you probably do now with the HK.

It’s also the stand, so you’ll need to find a stand that can use the 30cm VESA hole mounts in the TV and hold the weight of the TV minus the supplied B&W Soundbar. Or mount on the wall if convenient.

My stand has enough clearance for my rather large centre speaker to sit on its large baseplate, I’ll dig out a link and post it.
Update: The one I use is for up to 65“ and 30Kg, the 65OLED936 is 23.5Kg without the Soundbar/Stand. Looks like the folk I got it from only have one B Stock available but there are others sellers and other makes of stand.
Thank you ! I already have the Erard Fit-Ip XL, so it should be perfect :

Fit-up xl - Pied tv de table universel de 40'' à 65'' - Ref 035310 - Les meubles tv

AdtAdt57

I was pleased to receive my 55OLED936 last Tuesday, after receiving a marketing email from Philips that linked to their website with a ‘buy from Richer Sounds’ link, really helpful as I’d kept asking I wanted one when available to update from my 2017 55POS9002…
After quite a bit of picture tuning I’m exceedingly impressed with HD, UHD HDR and Dolby Vision.

Odd issue with BBC iPlayer:
The TV had an update after install and I was pleased to see UHD HLG worked with the iPlayer…
… then on Saturday there was update TPM211EA_R.001.001.233.012.
After this update the iPlayer App had disappeared from the Home screen and when I searched for it and found the App the page said something like “this version is not compatible with your device“.
The good news is that I can still get into the iPlayer and UHD HLG still works, but I have to press ‘green’ or ‘red’ buttons while watching a BBC 1 or 2 programme and get back to its main menu…
any idea why it’s missing from the Home screen?
It‘s also not in the the Philips collection or when searching the Google store.
The iPlayer App is updating so this is only an inconvenience.
Update, lost iPlayer altogether :-(
Well, yesterday when the TV was turned on, the above issue ended up with not being able to get onto the iPlayer, plus I also noticed loss of the terrestrial TV channel logos. Then, after trying a retune add channels, I ended up on channel 250, the BBC Red Channel saying how I could use this to run iPlayer, but it was still missing!

Decided to perform a full TV reinstall and the iPlayer came back as did the TV Channel Logos…
… guess it’s just me having to do this within a week of a new TV.

AVtest

Update, lost iPlayer altogether :-(
Well, yesterday when the TV was turned on, the above issue ended up with not being able to get onto the iPlayer, plus I also noticed loss of the terrestrial TV channel logos. Then, after trying a retune add channels, I ended up on channel 250, the BBC Red Channel saying how I could use this to run iPlayer, but it was still missing!

Decided to perform a full TV reinstall and the iPlayer came back as did the TV Channel Logos…
… guess it’s just me having to do this within a week of a new TV.
Not easy to narrow down this one and requires time or technical team involvement. Do you have any more issues with other apps? Or is iPlayer is your main daily app, did it update itself recently? Sometimes app updates are evil as could bring new bugs this happened few times with BBC apps...
Also when you got your new tv did it update its firmware by any chance? Sometimes firmware updates could corrupt certain areas (or just not go that well) of system hence manufacturer would ask to reinstall tv. That way new firmware takes fresh configuration and activates required changes. If other users with same tv do not experience same issue with same app, then well could be that you have hardware fault somewhere. As example corrupt memory etc could cause some unstable behaviours like tv reboots or power ups with no reason, but these are rare.
See how it works now after full reinstall.

covlad

Standard Member
Was about to reply with something similar but "AVtest" has summed it up perfectly.
I have asked my wife who watches the TV a lot more than myself to keep an eye out for any disappearing catch-up apps.
Intermittent faults are a nightmare to pin down especially on a device like this. If it happens only after a fair amount of time may be hardware and heat related. Hopefully now you have done a reinstall all will be good.

I'll certainly report here if I experience this.

AdtAdt57

Finally posted a mini 55OLED936 review, unfortunately several issues delayed it…
I love the pictures but had to perform a full Reinstall TV to get over some issues and reapply all settings :-(
As not that many settings have to be changed it’s not much of a pain to use the Reinstall TV and reapply, however, the last time I had to keep doing this was more than a decade ago.
Might just be me?

55OLED936, My settings plus a mini review, delayed a couple of weeks as a few issues
… as at:

malctAN

I am getting delivery of my new 936 tomorrow , Well done richer sounds, over a week ahead of schedule

I am getting delivery of my new 936 tomorrow , Well done richer sounds, over a week ahead of schedule
Nice one... Are you subscribed to any streaming services, such as: Amazon Prime Video, Netflix, Disney+, etc?

Being an television that runs on Android I'm interested to know how well it can process video that has been encoded at different frame-rates.

Lotusmad2001

If other manufacturers are looking to fix the 4k VRR issue why aren't Philips? Surely with HDMI 2.1 this is top proprity, the mediatek chipset is quite a powerful SOC. Lots of games are using an upscaled 1440p 120hz mode. This will be outputted as 4k 120 and thus not look correct as it stands

Priyantha

If other manufacturers are looking to fix the 4k VRR issue why aren't Philips? Surely with HDMI 2.1 this is top proprity, the mediatek chipset is quite a powerful SOC. Lots of games are using an upscaled 1440p 120hz mode. This will be outputted as 4k 120 and thus not look correct as it stands
@ Philips TV PQ
Could you elaborate on this?

goonerbyron

Yeah seems like all the 936 models are in stock on Currys for delivery as soon as the weekend. Hoping it won’t be much longer now until Richer Sounds have them in stock to dispatch.

peggle

My 55OLED936 arrived last Friday. It already had the latest Firmware installed. It replaces a 4 year old Philips 9002 OLED.

After 3 days this is my opinion.

Picture - Very good. The only issue so far is when switching frame rate.

Using A ROKU 4K stick set to match the source frame rate and watching Youtube video's it takes 4-5 seconds for the picture to appear.
Perhaps one in ten times it fails completely & just gives a black screen.

Audio - BAD! There are timing and quality issues for me.

Timing - The audio is lagging the video on all inputs.

Using the 936's Freeview tuner SD channels are badly affected, HD channels less so, but audio is still lagging on them.
Using a Humax Fox T2 PVR the audio is again lagging, not by much, but noticeable. The Humax has a Lip-Sync adjustment, but that just delays the audio even more.

Plugging the 936's Optical out into the Denon also gives a large sound delay.

Audio Quality - ### DISCLAIMER - I'm getting on a bit and can't hear anything over 7-8 kHz. That aside I consider my hearing to be good. ###

It sounds to me like the sound level going into the 936's audio amplifier is too high causing distortion.

The Humax plugged into a Denon AV Receiver with Mordant Short speakers sounds natural (and the video & audio are in sync.)
Plugged into the 936 speech sounds harsh with slight distortion. To me the difference is like chalk & cheese.

Using KODI on an Nvidia shield to watch Films it sounds OK but that's probably because it outputs the audio at a lower volume level.
(setting the 936's volume at 11 for the humax and 15 for KODI sound as loud as each other to me)

alchemic

Standard Member
48" has finally dropped on Currys. Depending on how things go with cash, I may return to it next year. Or I guess we will be hitting 937 time by then!
Have you seen any independent reviews? I'm keen to know how it compares to the 55inch given it doesn't have the Evo panel and the 55 does

gszech

Novice Member
My 55OLED936 arrived last Friday. It already had the latest Firmware installed. It replaces a 4 year old Philips 9002 OLED.

After 3 days this is my opinion.

Picture - Very good. The only issue so far is when switching frame rate.

Using A ROKU 4K stick set to match the source frame rate and watching Youtube video's it takes 4-5 seconds for the picture to appear.
Perhaps one in ten times it fails completely & just gives a black screen.

Audio - BAD! There are timing and quality issues for me.

Timing - The audio is lagging the video on all inputs.

Using the 936's Freeview tuner SD channels are badly affected, HD channels less so, but audio is still lagging on them.
Using a Humax Fox T2 PVR the audio is again lagging, not by much, but noticeable. The Humax has a Lip-Sync adjustment, but that just delays the audio even more.

Plugging the 936's Optical out into the Denon also gives a large sound delay.

Audio Quality - ### DISCLAIMER - I'm getting on a bit and can't hear anything over 7-8 kHz. That aside I consider my hearing to be good. ###

It sounds to me like the sound level going into the 936's audio amplifier is too high causing distortion.

The Humax plugged into a Denon AV Receiver with Mordant Short speakers sounds natural (and the video & audio are in sync.)
Plugged into the 936 speech sounds harsh with slight distortion. To me the difference is like chalk & cheese.

Using KODI on an Nvidia shield to watch Films it sounds OK but that's probably because it outputs the audio at a lower volume level.
(setting the 936's volume at 11 for the humax and 15 for KODI sound as loud as each other to me)
How is the TV picture quality and sound on the native Android apps?
Is there sound lag on Netflix or Amazon Prime apps, or this is only with other devices plugged in to TV ?

malctAN

I got mine last Friday , Like the post above , I am not happy with the sound and TBH, I have thought about sending it back and getting the OLED 856 and use my 5.1 set up. I will give it a few more days.

The picture quality i find is excellent and the blacks are black just like my Kuro that i cannot sell!!!!

Remote isn't all that great and could do with the back lights staying on longer, I am looking at using the Logitech Harmony elite remote, At the moment , the 936 isn't on the Logitech system.

Love the amberlight

gszech

Novice Member
I got mine last Friday , Like the post above , I am not happy with the sound and TBH, I have thought about sending it back and getting the OLED 856 and use my 5.1 set up. I will give it a few more days.

The picture quality i find is excellent and the blacks are black just like my Kuro that i cannot sell!!!!

Remote isn't all that great and could do with the back lights staying on longer, I am looking at using the Logitech Harmony elite remote, At the moment , the 936 isn't on the Logitech system.

Love the amberlight

Some people mentioned here that Philips 936 TV sound bar is not that powerful (only 70W RMS) and it can't be really compared to high end sound bars. It's weird that they included this knowing that the sound bar is not that amazing.

OLED 856 makes more sense and you can spend £500 difference (on 55" model) or more if needed on high end sound system.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES '22 TV Announcement Round-up, Plus, Most Anticipated Movies of 2022 and More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

AVForums Podcast: 26th January 2022
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Huawei begins P50 Pocket and P50 Pro smartphone global rollout
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Audioengine launches compact S6 powered subwoofer
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Sky and NOW UK for February 2022