Promoted Philips OLED+936 and OLED+986 – continuous improvements bring a new reference performance.

Wow so much for "brighter evo panel".
It must be impossible to see that tiny brightness advantage?
806 seems more tempting unless you lust for the B&W soundbar.
Just to clarify 806 can do 947nits but can't sustain for long periods, software will bring it down to 770nits in line with heat output, while 936 can remain at 950nits as long as you want. & remain sufficiently cool. Basically if you prefer to watch a lot of bright sdr content then 936OLED+ is the better option. If HDR then 806 or 936, it doesnt make a diffrence both will be about the same.

Last edited:
Just to clarify 806 can do 947nits but can't sustain for long periods, software will bring it down to 770nits in line with heat output, while 936 can remain at 950nits as long as you want. & remain sufficiently cool. Basically if you prefer to watch a lot of bright sdr content then 936OLED+ is the better option. If HDR then 806 or 936, it doesnt make a diffrence both will be about the same.

In what situations do I want to retain 950 nits, is that when watching tv in a room full of bright daylight?

In what situations do I want to retain 950 nits, is that when watching tv in a room full of bright daylight?
That's not how tvs work, they generally max out at 300ish nits. That much higher peak brightness is only for specular highlights used for HDR. Max brightness isn't important at all except for those very bright HDR moments to prevent clipping.

Understanding Nits is very complicated which is why manufactors can fudge the numbers, not all but most do. I barly understand it myself, like you im on a learning curve. the way i understand it is? 1 candle in a meter square box= 1 nit, put 300 candles in that box & the light output is 300nits. but that doesnt explain the whole dinensions of a TV screen, it only explains a certain percentage of the screen. lumans= the full brightness of a TV which is calculated from nits, but its not a straight forward calculation, because you have to factor in the specs of the hardware & software, also size of a TV matters. To make it simple for comsumers its best to only care about peak brightness in nits, read reviews to find out how the model of TV you are intrested in does in daylight/darkroom, how long can it sustain its peak brightness. but the truth is it really doesnt matter with OLED esp in darkroom viewing. My 936 is amazing in daylight but in a darkroom some sceens really make me squint my eyes its that bright, I have to lower the brightness as i find it unbareable. feels like looking directly at the sun.

& you answered your own question! in daylight viewing only.
also Vivid mode is overstaturated not realistic colors, I think its just for maunfactors boasting rights, I wouldnt ever use it, dont think TV would last 2 years if i did, realistically your looking at about max 800 Nits peak brightness 10% window on 936 in HDR & about 400 nits in SDR.

Last edited:
Wow so much for "brighter evo panel".
It must be impossible to see that tiny brightness advantage?
806 seems more tempting unless you lust for the B&W soundbar.

I went for the 806 in the end as my 9707 died on me, and in 48 inches - the panel for 806 and 936 is exactly the same. Soundbar I can get and it wont offset the $$ difference.
Second processor for edge improvement is fine and all - but the picture is crisp as is on the 806 (fine tuned).

Hello.
Does the Philips 48 OLED 936 have any 'cable management' and also... how is the screen in a relatively bright sunny room (Is the picture dim? Is the screen very reflective? etc etc)?
I realise the 48" inch does NOT have the brighter EVO panel, but is that such a biggy?
We can't fit anything larger than a 48" inch TV in the space we have. Thank you.

Hello.
Does the Philips 48 OLED 936 have any 'cable management' and also... how is the screen in a relatively bright sunny room (Is the picture dim? Is the screen very reflective? etc etc)?
I realise the 48" inch does NOT have the brighter EVO panel, but is that such a biggy?
We can't fit anything larger than a 48" inch TV in the space we have. Thank you.
No cable management on the back of the 936.

There is a crude diagram I've done for you below to show my solution.

Involves a number of adhesive cable clips placed on a removable plastic panel (located centrally above the stand as you look from the back) to channel the cables towards the stand so they don't interfere with the view from the front. This cable tied group of cables then run from the back of the stand behind the sideboard where the TV is stood on.

You will need to remove the plastic panel (small dotted line rectangle on diagram) anyway to install the proprietary cable that links the TV to the soundbar. By placing the adhesive clips on this panel, you can do that away from TV, exert necessary pressure and leave it away from TV to allow the adhesive of the clips to work. The adhesive can fail and you may have to redo the clips. I've thought about using screwing clips into that little panel for a more robust solution, but haven't needed to yet.

Hope it helps (if only to encourage you to think of better solution!😁).

Brightness is fine for me and the family. We normally have light boost on minimum, and we may bump it up to medium if watching dark content during the day.

Screen is pretty reflective to my eyes, but once you're watching, it's not really an issue, though you way want to assess your table lamp placement!

Hope all the above helps, even if it's just one guy's opinion.

Attachments

• PXL_20220618_114753870.jpg
    PXL_20220618_114753870.jpg
    242.8 KB · Views: 89
No cable management on the back of the 936.

There is a crude diagram I've done for you below to show my solution.

Involves a number of adhesive cable clips placed on a removable plastic panel (located centrally above the stand as you look from the back) to channel the cables towards the stand so they don't interfere with the view from the front. This cable tied group of cables then run from the back of the stand behind the sideboard where the TV is stood on.

You will need to remove the plastic panel (small dotted line rectangle on diagram) anyway to install the proprietary cable that links the TV to the soundbar. By placing the adhesive clips on this panel, you can do that away from TV, exert necessary pressure and leave it away from TV to allow the adhesive of the clips to work. The adhesive can fail and you may have to redo the clips. I've thought about using screwing clips into that little panel for a more robust solution, but haven't needed to yet.

Hope it helps (if only to encourage you to think of better solution!😁).

Brightness is fine for me and the family. We normally have light boost on minimum, and we may bump it up to medium if watching dark content during the day.

Screen is pretty reflective to my eyes, but once you're watching, it's not really an issue, though you way want to assess your table lamp placement!

Hope all the above helps, even if it's just one guy's opinion.
Hello,
That is really really helpful. Thank you!
We may have to construct our own like you have, as so few TV's have it. Especially under the 55" and 65" inch sizes. Thank you also for your feedback on the brightness of the panel and the reflection on the screen. Thank you again! M

Any other thoughts and recommendations are welcomes guys! :)

There is actually a panel that covers the rear HDMI sockets, but I think the design team were at lunch when that was thrown in. It has a small cut-out section to the left (looking from the rear) which is not big enough and one of my thick cables simply won't bend at a right-angle to come out the side, so I cut another section at bottom of the panel. You still need to route cables to the center stand leg to hide them from view from the front.

I am finally returning my 936 for a full refund (£2300 I paid). The 806 now at £1199 is just too much of a saving to consider keeping it any longer. I can get a Sonos Arc to replace the B&W soundbar and still have a few hundred quid left over!

Hi Guys!
I've just purchased a Phillips 48OLED936 and wondered if anyone would be so kind as to write out the best basic set-up settings for the TV out of the box.
I have a TIVO and x2 4K UHD players (and Oppo 203 and a Panasonic UB9000).
What settings would be good to get started until I can afford a calibration???
Thank you!

Talking about settings, is it only me who thinks that Dolby Vision is too dark and too contrasty? I've set gamma in DV Light mode to -1 and now it looks almost perfect to me (similar to HDR10/10+). I sometimes change gamma to +1 or higher in SDR mode.

FYI - I finally had enough of TP Vision and TPV Technology (Philips TV) and replaced my 65OLED936/12 with an LG G2.

I would like to say a HUGE thank you to Richer Sounds (www.richersounds.com), who credited me my original purchase price for the 936, even though I had originally purchased the 65OLED935/12 from them in October 2020! (Philips replaced the 935 in November 2021 with the 936, but after yet more technical issues, and poor customer service from TP Vision, enough was enough.)

I cannot recommend Richer Sounds highly enough. Their customer service is second to none. They have high street stores with competent and friendly staff, competitive pricing and most of all, they value their customers, and honestly treat them as customers for life. I have found Richer Sounds to be a truly exceptional company, from Julian Richer and throughout the entire company. Well done sir, and well done everyone within the Richer Sounds family. Bravo.

What were your issues with 936? Do you think LG G2 is better?
My issues were many... most notably when TP Vision (Philip TV) broke the Ambilight feature of my then 65OLED935/12, in August/September 2021, by making it persistently on. All they had to do was make this an optional feature (literally an on/off switch in the menu), but their arrogance regarding this being a feature "improvement" left me with no other choice, as they had fundamentally changed the default out of the box state of my 65OLED935/12, and this was not corrected when they kindly replace the 935 with a 65OLED936/12. This is unacceptable 10-11 months after purchasing an OLED Ambilight TV (935), specifically for this feature.

My concern with TV Vision (Philips TV) is that they appear to ship their products too early and rely on updates to correct issues post release. This is a systemic "just in time" problem that is not limited to just TP Vision, but IMHO, Philips TVs are particularly bad in this regard.

Some of the other issues, logged with TV Vision (Philips TV) support, were:
  1. The external subwoofer port did not work correctly from day 1, and 18 months later... nothing.
  2. Random no sound issue via HDMI sources.
  3. Different sources with different picture settings would randomly change, and had to be changed EVERY TIME the TV was resumed from standby.
  4. Ambilight Lounge Light feature randomly crashed the TV.
  5. Ambilight + HUE broke twice with "updates" that lasted for months, spoiling the enjoying and value of investing in the HUE ecosystem, plus in the end, the colour matching between the Ambilight and HUE was off, regardless of any tweaking.
  6. The Auto volume feature was broken, if I selected OFF, the TV would always default to Night mode or ON, just like #3 - no rhyme or reason, just randomly annoying and requiring a reset each time.
  7. The TV Remote mobile app was appalling and buggy and rarely worked.
  8. The standby light was ALWAYS ON and was brighter than the OLED panel - try sleeping with that on in a bedroom... I had to put masking tape over the light, which then affected the reliability of the remote. LG (standby light on/off).
  9. The remote-control backlight feature was near useless, was not configurable, and its only practical use appeared to be to drain the batteries at a much faster rate than if there was no backlight. My old Sony KDL-40Z4500 remote, with a separate backlight button is perfect.
These were all reported to TV Vision (Philips TV) over the 18 months of ownership (935 & 936), and most tickets, I closed when the TV was returned, because TV Vision (Philips TV) customer service is so outstandingly poor, and their ability to correct issues appeared to be fundamentally flawed.

Is the LG G2 better? Without doubt. Will I ever buy a Philips TV again? No, not ever.

I hope this helps.

My issues were many... most notably when TP Vision (Philip TV) broke the Ambilight feature of my then 65OLED935/12, in August/September 2021, by making it persistently on. All they had to do was make this an optional feature (literally an on/off switch in the menu), but their arrogance regarding this being a feature "improvement" left me with no other choice, as they had fundamentally changed the default out of the box state of my 65OLED935/12, and this was not corrected when they kindly replace the 935 with a 65OLED936/12. This is unacceptable 10-11 months after purchasing an OLED Ambilight TV (935), specifically for this feature.

My concern with TV Vision (Philips TV) is that they appear to ship their products too early and rely on updates to correct issues post release. This is a systemic "just in time" problem that is not limited to just TP Vision, but IMHO, Philips TVs are particularly bad in this regard.

Some of the other issues, logged with TV Vision (Philips TV) support, were:
  1. The external subwoofer port did not work correctly from day 1, and 18 months later... nothing.
  2. Random no sound issue via HDMI sources.
  3. Different sources with different picture settings would randomly change, and had to be changed EVERY TIME the TV was resumed from standby.
  4. Ambilight Lounge Light feature randomly crashed the TV.
  5. Ambilight + HUE broke twice with "updates" that lasted for months, spoiling the enjoying and value of investing in the HUE ecosystem, plus in the end, the colour matching between the Ambilight and HUE was off, regardless of any tweaking.
  6. The Auto volume feature was broken, if I selected OFF, the TV would always default to Night mode or ON, just like #3 - no rhyme or reason, just randomly annoying and requiring a reset each time.
  7. The TV Remote mobile app was appalling and buggy and rarely worked.
  8. The standby light was ALWAYS ON and was brighter than the OLED panel - try sleeping with that on in a bedroom... I had to put masking tape over the light, which then affected the reliability of the remote. LG (standby light on/off).
  9. The remote-control backlight feature was near useless, was not configurable, and its only practical use appeared to be to drain the batteries at a much faster rate than if there was no backlight. My old Sony KDL-40Z4500 remote, with a separate backlight button is perfect.
These were all reported to TV Vision (Philips TV) over the 18 months of ownership (935 & 936), and most tickets, I closed when the TV was returned, because TV Vision (Philips TV) customer service is so outstandingly poor, and their ability to correct issues appeared to be fundamentally flawed.

Is the LG G2 better? Without doubt. Will I ever buy a Philips TV again? No, not ever.

I hope this helps.
I feel your anguish. I have a 65OLED936 and have loads and loads of issues, again I have reported them all and again no fixes have been made. They offered me a voucher to take it back to a store and purchase something else (I was looking at the C2 as it's the same price)
When I told them I got the tv directly from them as a replacement for a lower value tv they changed their offer and only offered a refund for the 1st tv which was sub £700. Between that 1st faulty tv and this one they sent me around 10 different tvs, every single one being faulty. They have admitted that all my faults are problems with their software yet I am stuck with the tv. I'm not sending a £2500 OLED back for under £700 and I can't find anyone to buy it either.

I too will never buy a Philips TV ever again and I also tell anyone thinking about them to steer well clear.

Hello everyone, thinking again in buying the 936 Modell, had in 2019 the 934, I had at the time some problems with the tv, the most annoying one was the audio, lip-synch problem. My 3 years old LG C8 65”, played a lot of PlayStation 5(almost on a daily basis), Netflix, youtube, we also watched regular TV program on a daily basis, the screen started to develop some burn-in issues, the tv was out of warranty but at the time of purchase I paid a small amount for insurance, after they took the tv to the LG service, I was told I can have a gift card for the same amount of I have paid, can use it until next year July. So I am wondering, Philips 936, or maybe 806, 856? I read that there are still software related, ambilight related issues, where this fixed? Personally I like very much the webOS, but I really miss the Ambilight, have purchased yesterday a Philips Aurea 42PFL9903H, the Aurea looks amazing hooked up with the PS5 🤓, this is just a TV I really wanted to have. I Will enjoy it until, I will buy a new OLED. What are your thoughts, which Philips OLED would you buy?

Thank you for your answer Daniel Ewen! Probably I'm lucky for that I don't use external players, subwoofers, hue lights, etc. I use mostly Just player with with 4K HDR files and I'm mostly happy. I don't like motion artefacts sometimes but I can live with that most of the time. BTW, doesn't changing Ambilight from Standard to Natural solve your issue?

Hello everyone, thinking again in buying the 936 Modell, had in 2019 the 934, I had at the time some problems with the tv, the most annoying one was the audio, lip-synch problem. My 3 years old LG C8 65”, played a lot of PlayStation 5(almost on a daily basis), Netflix, youtube, we also watched regular TV program on a daily basis, the screen started to develop some burn-in issues, the tv was out of warranty but at the time of purchase I paid a small amount for insurance, after they took the tv to the LG service, I was told I can have a gift card for the same amount of I have paid, can use it until next year July. So I am wondering, Philips 936, or maybe 806, 856? I read that there are still software related, ambilight related issues, where this fixed? Personally I like very much the webOS, but I really miss the Ambilight, have purchased yesterday a Philips Aurea 42PFL9903H, the Aurea looks amazing hooked up with the PS5 🤓, this is just a TV I really wanted to have. I Will enjoy it until, I will buy a new OLED. What are your thoughts, which Philips OLED would you buy?
Read the last few comments. Or in otherworld, stay away from Philips

Thank you for your answer Daniel Ewen! Probably I'm lucky for that I don't use external players, subwoofers, hue lights, etc. I use mostly Just player with with 4K HDR files and I'm mostly happy. I don't like motion artefacts sometimes but I can live with that most of the time. BTW, doesn't changing Ambilight from Standard to Natural solve your issue?
The ambilight still doesn't turn off on black screens on natural, the only way to get it to do so is to select Game mode. But I have had to turn it off completely as it sometimes flickers, there is often a delay between what's on the screen and the lights, basically it's so distracting that it's not usable the majority of the time so I leave it off completely.

I do not have the 936 unit anymore. For me, problem solved :cool:

Just to add a different perspective: I have zero issues atm and I'm really happy with my 55OLED936, picture and sound quality and overall appearance and performance (apps) are pretty perfect for me.
I'm still pissed about their handling of the 4K / 120Hz issue and that they straight out lied about it though. Also pushed for some coverage in German media, e.g. Philips OLED936 und OLED986: Besitzer ärgern sich über halbierte Auflösung bei 4K mit 120 Hz but obviously TPV doesn't give a shit.

Last edited:
There is actually a panel that covers the rear HDMI sockets, but I think the design team were at lunch when that was thrown in. It has a small cut-out section to the left (looking from the rear) which is not big enough and one of my thick cables simply won't bend at a right-angle to come out the side, so I cut another section at bottom of the panel. You still need to route cables to the center stand leg to hide them from view from the front.
Agreed. I actually have that panel completely removed.

If you're really into gaming, go with an 8x6 model as that (I believe) now has true 4K 120hz/vrr support. The 936 does not have true 4K 120hz (vertical resolution is halved at 120hz) with or without vrr.

If you want an all in one solution (ie panel and soundbar) and don't mind 4k gaming at 60hz, 936.

I own the 936, but will readily admit that value for money wise, the 8x6 models have it licked.

The latest video from AVForums

Sony BRAVIA 9 Mini LED TV: The Best HDR TV EVER?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom