Promoted Philips OLED+936 and OLED+986 – continuous improvements bring a new reference performance.

billykira

Standard Member
Wow so much for "brighter evo panel".
It must be impossible to see that tiny brightness advantage?
806 seems more tempting unless you lust for the B&W soundbar.
Just to clarify 806 can do 947nits but can't sustain for long periods, software will bring it down to 770nits in line with heat output, while 936 can remain at 950nits as long as you want. & remain sufficiently cool. Basically if you prefer to watch a lot of bright sdr content then 936OLED+ is the better option. If HDR then 806 or 936, it doesnt make a diffrence both will be about the same.

Last edited:

Motionflow

Standard Member
Just to clarify 806 can do 947nits but can't sustain for long periods, software will bring it down to 770nits in line with heat output, while 936 can remain at 950nits as long as you want. & remain sufficiently cool. Basically if you prefer to watch a lot of bright sdr content then 936OLED+ is the better option. If HDR then 806 or 936, it doesnt make a diffrence both will be about the same.

In what situations do I want to retain 950 nits, is that when watching tv in a room full of bright daylight?

Drdense

In what situations do I want to retain 950 nits, is that when watching tv in a room full of bright daylight?
That's not how tvs work, they generally max out at 300ish nits. That much higher peak brightness is only for specular highlights used for HDR. Max brightness isn't important at all except for those very bright HDR moments to prevent clipping.

billykira

Standard Member
Understanding Nits is very complicated which is why manufactors can fudge the numbers, not all but most do. I barly understand it myself, like you im on a learning curve. the way i understand it is? 1 candle in a meter square box= 1 nit, put 300 candles in that box & the light output is 300nits. but that doesnt explain the whole dinensions of a TV screen, it only explains a certain percentage of the screen. lumans= the full brightness of a TV which is calculated from nits, but its not a straight forward calculation, because you have to factor in the specs of the hardware & software, also size of a TV matters. To make it simple for comsumers its best to only care about peak brightness in nits, read reviews to find out how the model of TV you are intrested in does in daylight/darkroom, how long can it sustain its peak brightness. but the truth is it really doesnt matter with OLED esp in darkroom viewing. My 936 is amazing in daylight but in a darkroom some sceens really make me squint my eyes its that bright, I have to lower the brightness as i find it unbareable. feels like looking directly at the sun.

& you answered your own question! in daylight viewing only.
also Vivid mode is overstaturated not realistic colors, I think its just for maunfactors boasting rights, I wouldnt ever use it, dont think TV would last 2 years if i did, realistically your looking at about max 800 Nits peak brightness 10% window on 936 in HDR & about 400 nits in SDR.

Last edited:

Wbgenetic

Novice Member
Wow so much for "brighter evo panel".
It must be impossible to see that tiny brightness advantage?
806 seems more tempting unless you lust for the B&W soundbar.

I went for the 806 in the end as my 9707 died on me, and in 48 inches - the panel for 806 and 936 is exactly the same. Soundbar I can get and it wont offset the $$ difference.
Second processor for edge improvement is fine and all - but the picture is crisp as is on the 806 (fine tuned).

MJeeves7

Hello.
Does the Philips 48 OLED 936 have any 'cable management' and also... how is the screen in a relatively bright sunny room (Is the picture dim? Is the screen very reflective? etc etc)?
I realise the 48" inch does NOT have the brighter EVO panel, but is that such a biggy?
We can't fit anything larger than a 48" inch TV in the space we have. Thank you.

Need a PhD in TV

Standard Member
Hello.
Does the Philips 48 OLED 936 have any 'cable management' and also... how is the screen in a relatively bright sunny room (Is the picture dim? Is the screen very reflective? etc etc)?
I realise the 48" inch does NOT have the brighter EVO panel, but is that such a biggy?
We can't fit anything larger than a 48" inch TV in the space we have. Thank you.
No cable management on the back of the 936.

There is a crude diagram I've done for you below to show my solution.

Involves a number of adhesive cable clips placed on a removable plastic panel (located centrally above the stand as you look from the back) to channel the cables towards the stand so they don't interfere with the view from the front. This cable tied group of cables then run from the back of the stand behind the sideboard where the TV is stood on.

You will need to remove the plastic panel (small dotted line rectangle on diagram) anyway to install the proprietary cable that links the TV to the soundbar. By placing the adhesive clips on this panel, you can do that away from TV, exert necessary pressure and leave it away from TV to allow the adhesive of the clips to work. The adhesive can fail and you may have to redo the clips. I've thought about using screwing clips into that little panel for a more robust solution, but haven't needed to yet.

Hope it helps (if only to encourage you to think of better solution!😁).

Brightness is fine for me and the family. We normally have light boost on minimum, and we may bump it up to medium if watching dark content during the day.

Screen is pretty reflective to my eyes, but once you're watching, it's not really an issue, though you way want to assess your table lamp placement!

Hope all the above helps, even if it's just one guy's opinion.

Attachments

• PXL_20220618_114753870.jpg
    PXL_20220618_114753870.jpg
    242.8 KB · Views: 35

MJeeves7

No cable management on the back of the 936.

There is a crude diagram I've done for you below to show my solution.

Involves a number of adhesive cable clips placed on a removable plastic panel (located centrally above the stand as you look from the back) to channel the cables towards the stand so they don't interfere with the view from the front. This cable tied group of cables then run from the back of the stand behind the sideboard where the TV is stood on.

You will need to remove the plastic panel (small dotted line rectangle on diagram) anyway to install the proprietary cable that links the TV to the soundbar. By placing the adhesive clips on this panel, you can do that away from TV, exert necessary pressure and leave it away from TV to allow the adhesive of the clips to work. The adhesive can fail and you may have to redo the clips. I've thought about using screwing clips into that little panel for a more robust solution, but haven't needed to yet.

Hope it helps (if only to encourage you to think of better solution!😁).

Brightness is fine for me and the family. We normally have light boost on minimum, and we may bump it up to medium if watching dark content during the day.

Screen is pretty reflective to my eyes, but once you're watching, it's not really an issue, though you way want to assess your table lamp placement!

Hope all the above helps, even if it's just one guy's opinion.
Hello,
That is really really helpful. Thank you!
We may have to construct our own like you have, as so few TV's have it. Especially under the 55" and 65" inch sizes. Thank you also for your feedback on the brightness of the panel and the reflection on the screen. Thank you again! M

Any other thoughts and recommendations are welcomes guys! :)

HouseofMu

There is actually a panel that covers the rear HDMI sockets, but I think the design team were at lunch when that was thrown in. It has a small cut-out section to the left (looking from the rear) which is not big enough and one of my thick cables simply won't bend at a right-angle to come out the side, so I cut another section at bottom of the panel. You still need to route cables to the center stand leg to hide them from view from the front.

goonerbyron

I am finally returning my 936 for a full refund (£2300 I paid). The 806 now at £1199 is just too much of a saving to consider keeping it any longer. I can get a Sonos Arc to replace the B&W soundbar and still have a few hundred quid left over!

MJeeves7

Hi Guys!
I've just purchased a Phillips 48OLED936 and wondered if anyone would be so kind as to write out the best basic set-up settings for the TV out of the box.
I have a TIVO and x2 4K UHD players (and Oppo 203 and a Panasonic UB9000).
What settings would be good to get started until I can afford a calibration???
Thank you!

Viruslav

Talking about settings, is it only me who thinks that Dolby Vision is too dark and too contrasty? I've set gamma in DV Light mode to -1 and now it looks almost perfect to me (similar to HDR10/10+). I sometimes change gamma to +1 or higher in SDR mode.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung S95B QD OLED Review - A Quantum Leap for OLED!
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom