Promoted Philips OLED+936 and OLED+986 – continuous improvements bring a new reference performance.

Need a PhD in TV

Standard Member
Any way of finding out what's included in the FW update? Have installed 203 now. Aside from Ambilight behaviour mentioned by @Daniel Ewen , be interested to know what else this long awaited FW update brings.

(Obviously I'm not expecting 806 levels of upgrade 🤐)

sleepy3yes

Standard Member
I just installed the .203 on my 986 and I am a bit confused, wasn't this firmware supposed to fix the ambilight during black scenes? because as it stands it behaves exactly in the same way as before, in black screens there's always a white light no matter what.

Apologies, I was given the wrong information. The firmware is actually due to be released next week.

I am not sure what they changed or there's something I am not seeing myself but I tried all the follow video options and the ambilight stays on in black screens in all of them.

billykira

Standard Member
I just installed the .203 on my 986 and I am a bit confused, wasn't this firmware supposed to fix the ambilight during black scenes? because as it stands it behaves exactly in the same way as before, in black screens there's always a white light no matter what.

I am not sure what they changed or there's something I am not seeing myself but I tried all the follow video options and the ambilight stays on in black screens in all of them.
Turns off on my TV using Natural ambilight settings, tested while watching 30mins of planet of apes movie on disney +.

Daniel Ewen

Standard Member
Are you in the UK? Great to hear it’s out at last. So the ambilight works in game mode as before where the absence of light means no LED’s are on?
Yes, I'm in the UK and yes the Ambilight now goes fully off in ONLY Game mode, so we're back to the 65OLED936/12 FW: TPM211EA_R.001.001.233.012 behaviour.

Now that Philips have committed to the FW update, I will be raising my continued concerns over these post launch product updates with UK Trading Standards.

I am seriously considering returning my Philips 65OLED936/12.

Any way of finding out what's included in the FW update? Have installed 203 now. Aside from Ambilight behaviour mentioned by @Daniel Ewen , be interested to know what else this long awaited FW update brings.

(Obviously I'm not expecting 806 levels of upgrade 🤐)
Unfortunately, as of this moment, the support page with release notes is unchanged for the UK 65OLED936/12 here: Visit the support page for your Philips OLED+ 4K UHD Android TV - Bowers & Wilkins Sound 65OLED936/12
So far Amilight is working flawless, anyone know where I can find out what this new sw/update fixed?
IMHO it's not flawless if your expectation is to have complete emersion through 100% contrast mimicking of Ambilight with the OLED panel, as was present on the 65OLED935/12 at time of purchase. I'm still stuck with Philips apparent Ambilight "improvement".

My 65OLED936/12 now behaves like the images on the left, not the right. Whilst this is a restoration of previous behaviour, it's still not what I originally purchased when I unboxed my 65OLED935/12, as in complete emersion through 100% contrast mimicking of Ambilight with the OLED panel. This is still ONLY available in Game mode. Are you experiencing something different, as in the image on the right still?

Philips Ambilight Persistent White Light Issue with FW TPM211EA_R.001.001.233.026.jpg

sleepy3yes

Standard Member
Yes, I'm in the UK and yes the Ambilight now goes fully off in ONLY Game mode, so we're back to the 65OLED936/12 FW: TPM211EA_R.001.001.233.012 behaviour.

Now that Philips have committed to the FW update, I will be raising my continued concerns over these post launch product updates with UK Trading Standards.

Unfortunately, as of this moment, the support page with release notes is unchanged for the UK 65OLED936/12 here: Visit the support page for your Philips OLED+ 4K UHD Android TV - Bowers & Wilkins Sound 65OLED936/12

IMHO it's not flawless if your expectation is to have complete emersion through 100% contrast mimicking of Ambilight with the OLED panel, as was present on the 65OLED935/12 at time of purchase. I'm still stuck with Philips apparent Ambilight "improvement".

My 65OLED936/12 now behaves like the images on the left, not the right. Whilst this is a restoration of previous behaviour, it's still not what I originally purchased when I unboxed my 65OLED935/12, as in complete emersion through 100% contrast mimicking of Ambilight with the OLED panel. This is still ONLY available in Game mode. Are you experiencing something different, as in the image on the right still?

View attachment 1669777

Sadly it still behaves similar to the set of pictures from 26, not that bright and changing between options don't have much effect on the brightness, also if I try to change the brightness value itself it makes no much difference except on the saturation if colors are present.

I wonder if I have to reset my tv either to factory default after updating the firmware or they just haven't implemented this fix on the 986 models albeit I believe they should share the same exact firmware with the 936 models.

Reinstall/Factory reset didn't help, I guess the fix wasn't enabled for the 986 at all

Last edited:

billykira

Standard Member

View attachment 1669777
I brought 936 on Nov 23rd, TV came pre installed with 3 updates already, This is the first update i have had to install, Its also my first ambilight TV, (worst purchase mistake of my life) so if your saying it still not working correctly, i have to agree with you. but from last update to this i do find this update is way better for Ambilight.

Last edited:

Claudio67

Standard Member
I just tested the new firmware upgrade on my 936 and found out that Ambilight is back to normal behavior (no white light on black screen) with the "natural" mode while the "standard" mode does not seem to have changed. So it looks like you can choose between the white light on or off on black screen switching between "standard" and "natural" modes. Have not yet noticed other changes with this upgrade.

billykira

Standard Member
I just tested the new firmware upgrade on my 936 and found out that Ambilight is back to normal behavior (no white light on black screen) with the "natural" mode while the "standard" mode does not seem to have changed. So it looks like you can choose between the white light on or off on black screen switching between "standard" and "natural" modes. Have not yet noticed other changes with this upgrade.
I thought so too, until i tested at night in a dark room Every mode except for game mode has a visable white light. In natural mode during the day its not visible only in a dark room you can see the faint white in dark scenes. Guess I will have to change TV too game mode in Darkroom, Natural mode in daylight, until they fix it in next update, not holding my breath it will come in the next month.

(Edited)
I'm hearing 986 didn't even get an ambilight update, is this true? I don't think this update was made for us premium TV owners, because noting has been improved or fixed, Resolution still halves at 1080,1440,4K/120Hz, VRR is still broken at 60Hz, HDR still causes writing to become bold at 120Hz, The only difference so far is Negative, Monitor mode greys out cant select it, makes no difference changing to standard, optimal or game optimal mode, Only unplugging the TV fixes the issue, happened twice so far, maybe i should factory reset TV?. Another issue, Horizon Zero Dawn on PC HDR while on Flips to SDR colours you see the change instantly, I have checked & HDR is on in windows & TV is accepting the signal but refuses to output HDR correctly. this was not an issue on last update.

Last edited:

billykira

Standard Member
Only amblight game mode black scene was fixed & 986 didn't get any update.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220321-052132_Adobe Acrobat.jpg
    Screenshot_20220321-052132_Adobe Acrobat.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 103

sleepy3yes

Standard Member
Only amblight game mode black scene was fixed & 986 didn't get any update.

Yes I can confirm the 986 didn't receive the ambilight fix, I did receive the updated firmware but not the addressed fixes for the ambilight in game mode, which is obviously disappointing giving the 986 is "supposed" to be the premium set. We opened a ticket with Philips hoping they will address the issue, sent them the log etc.

billykira

Standard Member
I can confirm earc crackling sound seems to be sort of fixed its not as prevalent as before recent sw update, recently found out TV supports 100hz & gaming at 100hz on 3080ti means most games at native 4K smooth gameplay. Problem is 100Hz still has half refresh rate issue as 120hz does.

Pls philips/TP Vision can you pls at least fix 100Hz half refresh on 936, it's so dishartening anything over 60Hz TV cant handle the resolution, it makes no diffrence if its 1080p/1440p or 4K.

I don't care about 936 won't be getting vrr half refresh, all I want is the supported feature to work correctly at a minimum 100hz at least.

I understand TV accepts the signal, my issue is it doesn't display it correctly.
It's like buying a toaster that accepts the bread & voltage but doesn't heat up enough to toast the bread, it defeats the purpose of its use.

Playing FF14 I can easily do 4K120hz native, issue is at either 100hz or 120hz writing is fuzzy.

billykira

Standard Member
In every mode except game mode you get shimmering, pixlated aura around 3rd party character you control. I think the reason why it's less visable in game mode is because TV introduces blurring effect as well as dark picture. Its also way less noticable at 120hz, but apprent at 60hz. I don't know if this is because of the TV or the downside of OLED TV.

If only 936 OLED could do 120hz without reducing resolution. Instead I'm commdemed to 60hz due to the impact of visuals at 120hz philips failed to tell its customers about. The weirdest part is? I would have brought 806 model if I knew then what I know now. Meaning philips decieved it's customers for nothing.

Motionflow

Standard Member
If only 936 OLED could do 120hz without reducing resolution. Instead I'm commdemed to 60hz due to the impact of visuals at 120hz philips failed to tell its customers about. The weirdest part is? I would have brought 806 model if I knew then what I know now. Meaning philips decieved it's customers for nothing.

On the other hand you would lose the 936's brighter panel, is there a big difference?

Darbo

Whats does Game Mode do?
I assume there are drawbacks using it for movies?
Game mode removes all processing, like any motion settings, artificial sharpening so on and so forth, it's to reduce input lag, so the time between you pressing a button and the action happening on screen is reduced as much as possible.
You can use it for movies if you want but you might find panning shots are a bit jerky and the picture generally less appealing.

Darbo

In every mode except game mode you get shimmering, pixlated aura around 3rd party character you control. I think the reason why it's less visable in game mode is because TV introduces blurring effect as well as dark picture. Its also way less noticable at 120hz, but apprent at 60hz. I don't know if this is because of the TV or the downside of OLED TV.
The shimmering and pixelated aura is the processing going on when not using game mode, it's likely to be your sharpness setting being quite high, turn your sharpening down on everything though, movie, standard, game, the lot, it does nothing but harm to your picture.

billykira

Standard Member
On the other hand you would lose the 936's brighter panel, is there a big difference?

806 in vivid mode can do 947nits while 936 can do 950nits, so no real tangible diffrence when you consider in every other mode 806 is 770nits to 936 which is 790, So between both thier really isn't a huge diffrence you will notice.

The biggest diffrence is? 806 uses Hydrogen atom & 936 uses deuterium, Deuterium which has a single Neutron in every atom & Hydrogen doesnt have any, making deuterium a heavier isotopes of hydrogen, basically deuterium decays slower then hydrogen giving manufactors the choice between brighter displays or a display that lasts longer then convetional OLED. I choose 936 because i wanted my display to stay bright longer than conventional OLED, but after learning 936 cant do anything over 60Hz without dropping the resolution, I would have been better off buying 806 even though it wouldnt have lasted longer then 936, at least I could have enjoyed flawless 120Hz in 4K, It would have been the compromise I would have made.

billykira

Standard Member
The shimmering and pixelated aura is the processing going on when not using game mode, it's likely to be your sharpness setting being quite high, turn your sharpening down on everything though, movie, standard, game, the lot, it does nothing but harm to your picture.
I always turn sharpness in every mode to 0, I cant stand it! it looks too artifical. In game mode i can still see pixelated aura when moving camera from dark to bright scene, even though all post processing is turned off also in game mode at 60Hz camera becomes jerky like a blurring effect, Its less visable in 100Hz/above, but due to issues with resolutions above 60 on 936 its not a viable solution to use game mode, instead i use diffrent modes on a per game basic, which helps to mitigate the issue.

Darbo

I always turn sharpness in every mode to 0, I cant stand it! it looks too artifical. In game mode i can still see pixelated aura when moving camera from dark to bright scene, even though all post processing is turned off also in game mode at 60Hz camera becomes jerky like a blurring effect, Its less visable in 100Hz/above, but due to issues with resolutions above 60 on 936 its not a viable solution to use game mode, instead i use diffrent modes on a per game basic, which helps to mitigate the issue.
Christ that's terrible, I've got the 754, the cheapest oled from three years ago and it's beautiful, though it wasn't at first so don't be afraid to pester the crap out of phillips for any issues you have.
But to have the flagship model and such poor performance would drive me up the wall.
Not telling you how to suck eggs but have you turned motion blur off in the game you're playing? Some have looked terrible for me initially, like uncharted 4 but right now I'm deep into horizon forbiddden West and it's a work of art, with motion blur automatically switching off in 60hz mode.

billykira

Standard Member
As a PC gamer I always turn motion blur off in games, its become a force of habit now, I've started doing it on my PS5 games also.

Forbidden West is an amazing game, I also love the art style as for the story for me, it is up thier with the best games ever made, I love the twist & turns in Forbidden West just when it starts to get a little repetitive the game throws a twist that engages you right back into it.

Philips has been amazing help. They have apologied , they know how horribly issues with 936 was dealt with & are willing to fix the issues, for that i am so grateful, I can't go into details all I can say is they offered me a tailored commercial solution. Of which I accepted.

Motionflow

Standard Member
806 in vivid mode can do 947nits while 936 can do 950nits, so no real tangible diffrence when you consider in every other mode 806 is 770nits to 936 which is 790, So between both thier really isn't a huge diffrence you will notice.

Wow so much for "brighter evo panel".
It must be impossible to see that tiny brightness advantage?
806 seems more tempting unless you lust for the B&W soundbar.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung S95B QD OLED Review - A Quantum Leap for OLED!
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

PSB Speakers unveils Passif 50 loudspeaker
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Samsung Gaming Hub goes live
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Huawei unveils FreeBuds Pro 2 true wireless earbuds
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Sony unveils Inzone gaming brand