Philips OLED+935 TV Review & Comments

They probably believe 60hz panels with frame interpolation are good enough for most people plus they are cost effective.

Agreed, but motion is definitely better on a 100/120Hz panel. I’ve tried a 50Hz panel and the difference is notable, but perhaps you just get used to it?

Perhaps, they do have a point. Watch the following video, which compares a 120hz oled with an introductory 6 series va 60hz panel also with FI : . I see great differences in the picture, but mostly in contrast and color volume, not motion wise IMHO.

The latest Oleds from Philips look amazing, but they aren’t for everyone and unfortunately, Philips no longer offer 100Hz LCD TV,s with a PPI of at least 3000. My first ever Philips was the 55pus8602 from 2017 with a PPI of 3200. The picture was amazing! Even 2019’s 100Hz 55pus9104 had a PPI of 2900. The current 55pus9435 is 50Hz and only 2400ppi. Will Philips ever produce a top specified LCD again?
Yes. In the 2021 range.

That’s good news.
My 55pus8602 from 2017 had a quantum dot panel and the PPI of 3200 gave an incredible picture.
I could never understand why Philips went backwards for the next three years.
Let’s hope there will be a similarly specced LCD in 2021.
Meanwhile, do I go for the 935 with the (still) possibility of screenburn, even with the new mitigating feature, or wait until next year?
Now, if I knew that at least one 2021 100Hz LCD had a PPI of 3000+, I would definitely wait.....!
Tim

Phil, I was very impressed with your review. However some of the information is quite complex for me to understand so I would welcome your opinon & comments on my 55OLED935/12 settings as listed in my post #151 of the Philips TV 935 owners thread viz:

I may change the Picture Style setting of my HDMI 1 connected Virgin Media V6 STB from 'Standard' to 'AI' which I subsequently used for the TV's Freeview input. The AI picture processing appears to result in an awesome 3D effect, especially when viewing nature programs on Freeview, and streaming 4K videos on Netflix and YouTube.

Looking forward to your reply post in due course.

Last edited:
Hi, can anyone tell me the actual dimensions of the soundbar/stand? Presumably it is the same size regardless of the panel size? Thanks.Bob

All 3 models, 48 : 55 : 65, have a 880mm wide soundbar.

Last edited:
I use a seperate Atmos system and never use my TV's own speakers, so the question is without the soundbar (which I would end up sticking in the garage or loft!), is the 935 worth the price premium over the 805?

From what I gather, the 935 has a level of processing that is higher than the 805, and it has 4 sided vs 3 sided ambilight. In 65", the price is £2399 vs £1899.

I currently have a Philips 55POS9002, and want to replace it with another 9 series, but I feel like a large portion of the price difference is for the soundbar, and I can't help but question if its silly to pay it when I don't want the soundbar.

Without the combined 'soundbar-stand', the 935 TV would have to be wall hung. Alternatively a foot mounted, different Philips model or equivalent alternative brand would have to be considered.

Last edited:
I would be very interested in the opinions of those that have seen/tested both the SONY A9 & Philips 935 48" OLEDS.

I've had my Pioneer Kuro since 2008 and its still going strong. The only major weakness for me is the colouring processing is not upto modern standards (i.e. lot more prone to colour banding) and of course it will not handle 4K.

I watch a range of material across Amazon Prime, Disney+, Netflix. I also like to watch Talking Pictures and TCM on Virgin Cable (i.e. old black and white movies/silver classics). Hence, I do still watch SD material/broadcast channels some of the time.

One thing I like about the Pioneer is the ability to watch 24Hz material @ 72Hz. At the standard 24Hz I see flicker in the skylines which I find irritating. At 72Hz the picture is flicker free and crystal clear.

I find myself struggling from all the reviews I've read which would be the safest option for me, the SONY or the Philips? Which demonstrate the best motion handling and near dark performance, without introducing flicker or other artifacts?

I'm drawn to the Philips because of the Ambilight. But the overriding priority is of course the image quality/picture processing. I am confused as some reviews suggest the Philips has very good motion handling once setup correctly and yet this model lacks BFI, so does it suffer more from motion blur than the SONY ? Also, as aformentioned will both models allow me to watch 24Hz material at the higher refresh rates ?

Another small question - are OLED panels quiet ? i.e. are they free from, for example, the high pitched sounds which can come from an LCD which uses backlight modulation ?

Any input much appreciated.

so the sound bar can be removed on the 935?

so the sound bar can be removed on the 935?

Yeah, it is a separate sound bar that plugs in to the TV via a proprietary connector. It can be disconnected and not used, but the TV has no in-built speakers.

Yeah, it is a separate sound bar that plugs in to the TV via a proprietary connector. It can be disconnected and not used, but the TV has no in-built speakers.
Just to clarify, the soundbar is also the stand so the tv could be either wall-hung or VESA-fixed to a universal pedestal stand with audio output via HDMI or Digital Audio out (optical) to an Amp or an alternative/existing soundbar.

Last edited:
Do you think the 935 has an upgraded panel, as it states ppi is 6600, but the 805 which has the same P5 AI Perfect Picture Engine but has only 5700 ppi.

displayspecifications.com has the following ppi figures for the 3 OLED935 panels viz:
48" - 92
55" - 80
65" - 68
How do these figures relate to the 6600 ppi stated in the previous post above?

Shame the TV panel itself didn’t seem to get as good a rap as the soundbar did on Vincent’s HDTV, I was thinking of getting this TV option until the review but it’s pushing me back towards a panny again.
I

I see Vincent Teoh has just done a review on YouTube today, he really praises the quality of the Soundbar.
That I can attest too ! It is somewhat "unbelievable".

Thanks for the heads-up of the review
Shame the TV panel itself didn’t seem to get as good a rap as the soundbar did on Vincent’s HDTV, I was thinking of getting this TV option until the review but it’s pushing me back towards a panny again.
For anyone interested I created a dedicated gallery comparing (syntheticly) the findings of Vincent Teoh.

Have to say the Near Black Handling images kind of represent the "low dynamic" issue I posted previously.

Hope that helps!

That I can attest too ! It is somewhat "unbelievable".

Thanks for the heads-up of the review

For anyone interested I created a dedicated gallery comparing (syntheticly) the findings of Vincent Teoh.

Have to say the Near Black Handling images kind of represent the "low dynamic" issue I posted previously.

Hope that helps!
Great stuff thanks for this,

Wow you can certainly see the difference in the way the two sets handle near blacks!!

Glad I can help!

Also have to say, be sure to only consider luminance differences, not chrominance. Because I believe the camera white balance is the one to blame for those.

And second thing : near black is one issue. Hightlight is to me another, and you can also see it on the second scene (like by looking at the bishop's face). My own 935 sadly exhibits that too.

Yes I could see that issue in the highlights. Can you not play with the settings to lower the sharpness and intensity, that cant be the best it can do!

For those who have wall hung their 935, how far does the tv stick out from the wall, excluding the soundbar - just the screen? I know it will depend on what wall mount folks are using, but assume most would be going for some kind of 'slim line' mount, so am asking for just a pool of typical responses. I know the screen is something like 49mm, but wonder what a typical mount would add to that.

Thanks

Yes I could see that issue in the highlights. Can you not play with the settings to lower the sharpness and intensity, that cant be the best it can do!
From my experience not really, but my set is faulty. So hard to tell which part of its behavior / performance are impacted by the fault.

That being said, I'd expect Vincent Teoh to present the TV at their best. He's calibrating them and so on, prior to reviewing them. So we could believe that those images represent the best he could achieve (on this challenging scene) with his praisable knowledge.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom