Philips OLED+935 TV Review & Comments

c__w

It's always interesting to have two tvs at once showing the same content. I did this a couple of years back with my Samsung Q9FN and a Panasonic 55-FZ952B. Panasonic have probably made improvements to detail as the FZ was surprising in lack of detail (especially backgrounds) compared with the samsung, and the broadcast upscaling was poor. It's natural colour balance and "watchability" were great though, but lack of picture detail was apparent.

The HZ2000 is very good though and so HZ1000/1500 may have seen similar improvements, but at £3.3k too much to justify for me for the 2000.

However the reviewers also give similar ratings for the Panasonic TX- HZ1500, being the direct comparative, rather than the HZ1000.
In conclusion, both models have similar performance and the final choice could well be related to the overall design, the Philips wins here (IMO) and/or availability as both are currently £1,699.
(HZ1000 is £1,499 with lower spec fixed soundbar)

I understand the HZ1000 and HZ1500 are the same tv, the latter having a soundbar (ie the HZ1000 has no sound bar).

fneuf

You refer to "the (low) number of available reviews" but I have read those from several reviewers. Disregarding comments that the 935 would not be the choice of 'gamers', they all give the Philips 935 a very high rating, ranging from 8/10 upwards or 4.5 to 5⭐ for Picture and Sound quality. Reviewers include AVForums, What HiFi, Pocket-Lint, T3, Stuff, Home Cinema Choice, AllHomeCinema, Techradar & Expert Reviews, to name a few.
However the reviewers also give similar ratings for the Panasonic TX- HZ1500, being the direct comparative, rather than the HZ1000.
In conclusion, both models have similar performance and the final choice could well be related to the overall design, the Philips wins here (IMO) and/or availability as both are currently £1,699.
(HZ1000 is £1,499 with lower spec fixed soundbar)
On a pure and complete spec to spec level I agree with you. The direct competitor from Panasonic to the 935 is their HZ1500. But I did not bought a 935 for its soundbar. Infact, had a "925" (or whatever naming) existed, meaning a 935 without a soundbar, had I gone for it. I already have a full scale hifi setup, which no soundbar can compete with, in the end you can't trick physics. So I was also able to give my impression on sound because of this trio comparison (935/1000/my speakers). Now, on pure image aspect, for both panel and electronics the 1000 and 1500 are twins. Hence why the comparison results shared here are valid.

What I meant by "hints" is that most of those reviews are stating "Philips picture", "Philips treatments", "Philips vivid image" and the like. Not familiar with Philips' previous TV, I was not sure of how to understand those. And I understood while seeing it live. And that's not my cup of tea of a rendering. But that's me. There are other strengths to the set . At least AmbiLight (which I overliked, totally need to add that in my impression post), sound part, look & feel. By "low" I mean I would have liked to have rtings, hdtvtest or flatpanels hd review available. But this is a whole other debate.

And from what I witnessed they do not have "similar" performance. Yet that would mean we have a common understanding of what can be considered "similar", let alone what "performance" is. My way to put it is that Philips and Panasonic are doing things differently, and therefore might appeal to different needs.

I also believe you have to factor one thing. Most of those reviews are made after a properly executed calibration. Whereas my comparison is made on the "out of the box" experience.

That means to really be able to apply to our general consumer case, word-to-word, the advices and opinions of the reviewers you have to add the ~300/500 £/€/$ intervention of an expert and his dedicated tools to get the same level of experience with any considered unit. From that factor I might be more inclined to accept a generic "similar performance" statement in a review as potentially relevant.

I can understand why the journalists choose to do that, comparison is supposedly easier, and you are also looking at the very best of what can achieve those sets. But that still feels plenty strange regarding end-users position. Knowing reviews are supposedly written for the end-users. To read them and to make purchase decision. TVs is likely (one of?) only market where you are kinda told to to get an additional costly service right from the start to unlock the potential of what you just bought.

Next time I'm buying a car, I could totally see me have an... interesting... conversation with my local dealer if he was to tell me that I now need to take an additional 5000ish £/€/$ class with an expert to unlock the full power and all sweetfullness of my brand new ride, in order to make it live to my expectations and reveal its full potential. And I'm also yet to see a general public car reviewer implying they had to tune the car, yet coming straight from the manufacturer, before being really able to judge it, let alone a journalist feel okay reporting that. Just sayin'

jamct

Hi i bought a 935 in the Black Friday week it was an upgrade from an old LG OLED55 4 or 5 years age model

Picture quality for me is about on Par. I am just a layman but i was surprised that i personally see no amazing improvements in 5 years tech advancement. Maybe LG was just superior from the start?

Anyway the Ambilight and HUE system make up for the "experience" overall although...
i am having 2 problems which i feel must be common to all.

1) THe inbuilt chromecast stops responding to voice commands to "turn on Lounge TV"
It simply reports that Lounge TV isn't available? Some kind of deep sleep mode? I have gone through the OS/Menu and as far as i can tell have everything enabled that should be.

2) THe bass is certainly lacking even though the front soundbar is great and a vast improvement on spatial sound than my previous soundsetup. To counter this i bought a Standalone Sub that easily connects to the RMA pre out on the tv. Again one problem is that this output stops/forgets its previous state when you turn off the tv and im forced to flick off/on the SUB output in the TV menu to get it working again.

Are these 2 things related? Am i missing an option in the menu?

THe remote control is also utterly useless for anyone with big hands and i've defaulted to my android phone app. THE GF has no problem with it... with her tiny lady hands :p
1) It may not be relevent but when I answer a phone call in my kitchen I can instruct Alexa "mute living room TV ", then "unmute..." successfully. (or turn off, turn on etc)
I don't recall having to activate any TV function except to 'pair' my Amazon Dot with the TV. However, I don 't know if the Chromecast setup is the same.

2) My REL sub woofer works ok without any problems having set SUB Output ON.

johnjo569

On a pure and complete spec to spec level I agree with you. The direct competitor from Panasonic to the 935 is their HZ1500. But I did not bought a 935 for its soundbar. Infact, had a "925" (or whatever naming) existed, meaning a 935 without a soundbar, had I gone for it. I already have a full scale hifi setup, which no soundbar can compete with, in the end you can't trick physics. So I was also able to give my impression on sound because of this trio comparison (935/1000/my speakers). Now, on pure image aspect, for both panel and electronics the 1000 and 1500 are twins. Hence why the comparison results shared here are valid.

So after all your testing are you keeping the HZ1000/HZ1500 Fneuf and send ing the 935 back?

Efour

Hmm im going to have to keep a proper eye on the Google Home issue.

As you say with alexa, shouldn't be any special pairing needed simply both be on the same Google Home network.

My sub Option is set on. Again ill start recording days or times it gives issues. With what settings i have.

Cheers.

fneuf

So after all your testing are you keeping the HZ1000/HZ1500 Fneuf and send ing the 935 back?
Yup, unfortunately. I really wanted to like this set, have to say its design language elements are great. Would kinda prefer to have that in the middle of my living room rather than another typical flat TV.

But well, Form vs. Function debate. And i'm truly enjoying the HZ quality.

Have also started to look for DIY AmbiLight solutions, because that is also some great point with the Philips. Its immersion effect is efficient. Have to add it to the Pana.

My sub Option is set on. Again ill start recording days or times it gives issues. With what settings i have.
Remembered somebody mentionned the same issue on the Deutsch forum "Toengel". Can't remember if they found a solution for that bug though.

jamct

Hi guys! Just purchased this TV after seeing a demo model and instantly fell in love.

can somebody advise the best picture and calibration settings? (Assuming movie but would like more details)

Although I have reset my HDMI 1 cable TV Picture Style to AI, I was nearly as happy with my original settings as listed in post #151viz:

Most of my now AI picture settings are the out-of-the box AI pre-sets which I am more than happy with.

james marsh

Novice Member
I just bought the 48inch version, sight unseen, based on reviews like this. A couple of observations: firstly it is hard and fiddly to set up and the android interface is cluttered and clumsy. But much more significantly, the picture quality in all modes is mediocre and disappointing, vastly inferior to a 32 inch not very expensive ben q monitor that i compare it to. And our other LG Oled tv is also much much better. When i connect my computer to the tv and play movies through apple tv the quality seems better than when using the apps on the tv itself. I am wondering if there is something wrong with the basic set up of the tv out of the box? Am i missing some important set up information? Anyway, if the tv is functioning correctly, i cannot recommended it at all. It is overpriced and underwhelming.

shawz007

Poor interface, buggy software, underpowered CPU/RAM, difficult to use remote. I'll pass. Hopefully next autumn's Philips 48" OLED will address all this so my 12 year search to find something to intice moving on from a Philips 42PFL9664H/12 concludes.

Clearandcolour

Poor interface, buggy software, underpowered CPU/RAM, difficult to use remote. I'll pass. Hopefully next autumn's Philips 48" OLED will address all this so my 12 year search to find something to intice moving on from a Philips 42PFL9664H/12 concludes.
Is a Philips tv the only option ?

Clearandcolour

Am an Ambilight junky
Okay, I just bought a 55 inch philips oled 855... Coming form 28 inch crt sony trinitron... The picture is outstanding,.. oled (?!),. It's a clean picutre with I can say 4k-experience with just hd-broadcast cabel-tv.
BUT,.. motion is bad experience (coming form small but crt tv)..
I only watch cable tv.. and I have no idea why this is such a struggle for this moedern tv.. It's just stupid ! I don't know what the cable-tv has to do with it but the older tv didn't show anything of this.. !!
It's a big disclaimer..
I must say.. my mother's new sony 49 inch XH8599 also has a little... But it's very little. On my philips oled it's a big problem, for me !
Also, although you get the best picture (with OLED) !.. You don't get full screen brightness.. If you don't see a lcd tv beside it or in a other occasion.. You will maybe not see it.. As you are not aware. But it's a missing something with oled. Not in smaller parts. But total screen brightness is not there..

c__w

It it is highly likely way better than what is being made out to be. Don't forget most of these threads are full of nerds complaining about anything and everything and posting here! I think Currys, John Lewis etc all select the rough examples to send out to av forum users :D

The menu on the 9664 is about as basic as it gets and was sluggish IIRC; the latest 2020 Philips Android tvs are pretty snappy and I've had absolutely no issues with it (on my 65o805). It's a lot nicer than Sony's effort that I've had in the past. Sure there's more scope for glitches & software issues as there is a lot more going on and a balance of 3rd parties joining in, but honestly I've not had any issues; tuner is great, home menu to load apps is fast and switching from one to another no issues ( I only use the main Netflix/Amazon/Youtube apps) all of which work flawlessly. The remote is ok, at least it's responsive and you get used to it (your old remote will likely work anyway!). In summary, I don't find anything of note compared to my high-end Samsung TV, and there's certainly nothing a 9664 does that will test a 935 (except maybe scart and RCA pre-outs).

c__w

Okay, I just bought a 55 inch philips oled 855... Coming form 28 inch crt sony trinitron... The picture is outstanding,.. oled (?!),. It's a clean picutre with I can say 4k-experience with just hd-broadcast cabel-tv.
BUT,.. motion is bad experience (coming form small but crt tv)..
I only watch cable tv.. and I have no idea why this is such a struggle for this moedern tv.. It's just stupid ! I don't know what the cable-tv has to do with it but the older tv didn't show anything of this.. !!
It's a big disclaimer..
I must say.. my mother's new sony 49 inch XH8599 also has a little... But it's very little. On my philips oled it's a big problem, for me !
Also, although you get the best picture (with OLED) !.. You don't get full screen brightness.. If you don't see a lcd tv beside it or in a other occasion.. You will maybe not see it.. As you are not aware. But it's a missing something with oled. Not in smaller parts. But total screen brightness is not there..

How does 4k look on your 28" CRT? Not very good I suspect. I think the main issue is going from one extreme to another will take some time to adjust, most people have gone from CRT to plasma or LCD then to OLED. Jumping from a 28" CRT to 55" OLED it will take time to adjust and OLED is known to be on the extreme side of causing motion issues for those that are sensitive to it (it goes something like CRT > Plasma > LCD > OLED). OLED also prefers much cleaner higher res inputs, and if you're viewing distance has stayed the same you're going to see way more flaws in the picture vs the tiny 28" tv (which will also be kind to poor source material like SD content). It's best to ensure you watch 1080p minimum and stuff like Netflix and Amazon look great on them. An older 1080p LCD 55" would arguably deal with SD broadcast better.

Full screen brightness limiters (ABL) affect all OLEDs and is something they can't compete with LCDs for, but it's not in much content and the Philips is on the brighter side of OLEDs (Sony for example are much more dim). It's just something they do.

Clearandcolour

How does 4k look on your 28" CRT? Not very good I suspect. I think the main issue is going from one extreme to another will take some time to adjust, most people have gone from CRT to plasma or LCD then to OLED. Jumping from a 28" CRT to 55" OLED it will take time to adjust and OLED is known to be on the extreme side of causing motion issues for those that are sensitive to it (it goes something like CRT > Plasma > LCD > OLED). OLED also prefers much cleaner higher res inputs, and if you're viewing distance has stayed the same you're going to see way more flaws in the picture vs the tiny 28" tv (which will also be kind to poor source material like SD content). It's best to ensure you watch 1080p minimum and stuff like Netflix and Amazon look great on them. An older 1080p LCD 55" would arguably deal with SD broadcast better.

Full screen brightness limiters (ABL) affect all OLEDs and is something they can't compete with LCDs for, but it's not in much content and the Philips is on the brighter side of OLEDs (Sony for example are much more dim). It's just something they do.
Yes, it's a big step from my only 28 inch crt tv.. Although the picture seemed good. And absolutely never seen anyting in motion like on the oled tv...
And i've done some research on it the last week.. I also read that in real life we also see double fingers with small moving hands..
But now I see it as,.. hey,.. what's happening ?? I mostly dislike the problems in moving faces.. If I put the motion settings on smooth the faces get better.. But the moving hands and arms are dislocating...
But if I put smoothing motion of.. I get so much stutter or is it judder in the faces,.. That's impossible to look at. So it's better to let the arms go dislocated from the body... artifacts..

I don't know.. The picture is subliem but the movements are bad. But I also read that the smasung q90t which I wanted to buy, but the salesman convinced me to go for the oled..
My brothers samsung KS9500 from 2016 doesn't have these motionproblem,.. I never saw them.. Maybe I have to watch again..

EliB

Novice Member
Just started using the 935 and noted two issues.
1. Using internet streamed (F/O) video played back on an Android application will not 4k upscale in good quality interpolation and AI magic as promised and seen from HDMI sources. My previous OLED is an 55" OLED and it is fantastic there.
2. The Dolby Atmos is not too impressive at soundstaging with minimal audio comming from sides or above and rear, even with Atmos specific sources.

Last edited:

laser

Anyone thinking of buying this TV then be aware that the Netflix, Disney Plus apps are broken and will not stream Dolby Vision, Dolby ATMOS or 4K HDR. You are stuck with 1080p. Haven't tried the Amazon app yet. Some reports say that is also broken.

No word on a fix from TP Vision. In many cases they won't even acknowledge that the apps are broken if you raise a service ticket. They just get you reinstall the app, which we know doesn't work.

No idea if the issue is down to TP vision to fix or if it's an issue with Android TV and the version TP vision use on their TVs.

shawz007

It it is highly likely way better than what is being made out to be. Don't forget most of these threads are full of nerds complaining about anything and everything and posting here! I think Currys, John Lewis etc all select the rough examples to send out to av forum users :D

The menu on the 9664 is about as basic as it gets and was sluggish IIRC; the latest 2020 Philips Android tvs are pretty snappy and I've had absolutely no issues with it (on my 65o805). It's a lot nicer than Sony's effort that I've had in the past. Sure there's more scope for glitches & software issues as there is a lot more going on and a balance of 3rd parties joining in, but honestly I've not had any issues; tuner is great, home menu to load apps is fast and switching from one to another no issues ( I only use the main Netflix/Amazon/Youtube apps) all of which work flawlessly. The remote is ok, at least it's responsive and you get used to it (your old remote will likely work anyway!). In summary, I don't find anything of note compared to my high-end Samsung TV, and there's certainly nothing a 9664 does that will test a 935 (except maybe scart and RCA pre-outs).
Fair enough. But with a Roku stick plugged into the 9664 its modernised instantly. Also like the RCA out. What a faff having to buy an external DAC just to connect a new TV to a hifi.

shawz007

Yes, it's a big step from my only 28 inch crt tv.. Although the picture seemed good. And absolutely never seen anyting in motion like on the oled tv...
And i've done some research on it the last week.. I also read that in real life we also see double fingers with small moving hands..
But now I see it as,.. hey,.. what's happening ?? I mostly dislike the problems in moving faces.. If I put the motion settings on smooth the faces get better.. But the moving hands and arms are dislocating...
But if I put smoothing motion of.. I get so much stutter or is it judder in the faces,.. That's impossible to look at. So it's better to let the arms go dislocated from the body... artifacts..

I don't know.. The picture is subliem but the movements are bad. But I also read that the smasung q90t which I wanted to buy, but the salesman convinced me to go for the oled..
My brothers samsung KS9500 from 2016 doesn't have these motionproblem,.. I never saw them.. Maybe I have to watch again..
you probably need to dive into the deep menus and adjust various motion settings to your personal preference.

JonStatt

Anyone thinking of buying this TV then be aware that the Netflix, Disney Plus apps are broken and will not stream Dolby Vision, Dolby ATMOS or 4K HDR. You are stuck with 1080p. Haven't tried the Amazon app yet. Some reports say that is also broken.

No word on a fix from TP Vision. In many cases they won't even acknowledge that the apps are broken if you raise a service ticket. They just get you reinstall the app, which we know doesn't work.

No idea if the issue is down to TP vision to fix or if it's an issue with Android TV and the version TP vision use on their TVs.

I'm not having issues with Netflix? I get the Vision and Atmos indications.

laser

I reset the TV and these are my findings. If anyone can confirm if they get the following:

1. Neflix - I now get a Dolby Vision notification but the picture resolution is limited to 1080p. I tried on Strange Things Series 3 and The Queens Gambit.

2. Disney Plus - Do not get a Dolby notification and picture is limited to 1080 and sound to 5.1. I tried on the Mandalorian and Hamilton. Also doubled checked on my LG B7 OLED and both shows are in 4K Dolby Vision and ATMOS on the LG OLED.

3. Amazon Prime - Could see and play the 4K stream for The Expanse. But no Dolby Atmos notification. Not sure though if The Expanse is in Dolby Atmos on Prime. Can anyone recommend a show on Prime that is definitely Dolby Vison to try out.

jedajuz

I reset the TV and these are my findings. If anyone can confirm if they get the following:

1. Neflix - I now get a Dolby Vision notification but the picture resolution is limited to 1080p. I tried on Strange Things Series 3 and The Queens Gambit.

2. Disney Plus - Do not get a Dolby notification and picture is limited to 1080 and sound to 5.1. I tried on the Mandalorian and Hamilton. Also doubled checked on my LG B7 OLED and both shows are in 4K Dolby Vision and ATMOS on the LG OLED.

3. Amazon Prime - Could see and play the 4K stream for The Expanse. But no Dolby Atmos notification. Not sure though if The Expanse is in Dolby Atmos on Prime. Can anyone recommend a show on Prime that is definitely Dolby Vison to try out.
there is a little a huge thread under this that disney 4k and dolby not working for the last 2 months..

JonStatt

I think all but Netflix were known to be broken. But how are you determining the resolution in Netflix as the info button is missing on these latest TVs

laser

By comparison with my LG OLED.

If I select an episode of say Stranger Things or Queens Gambit, the LG oled says it's in 4K but the Philips OLED says it's only 1080p. No matter what I select in Netflix, all the Netflix Originals are 1080p on the Philips.

JonStatt

By comparison with my LG OLED.

If I select an episode of say Stranger Things or Queens Gambit, the LG oled says it's in 4K but the Philips OLED says it's only 1080p. No matter what I select in Netflix, all the Netflix Originals are 1080p on the Philips.

But I am not getting where it says its only 1080p. The Netflix app clearly shows 4K when browsing the titles that are not Dolby Vision but just UHD. Dolby Vision titles can be both HD and 4K but I can't see how you are telling that the queen's gambit is only 1080. It just says Dolby Vision and the only way to tell further is with the Netflix heads up display which you can't display without an info button. It looks 4k to me

For me
Netflix is working fully with 4K and HDR and Atmos
Disney is 1080p and 5.1
Amazon is 4k, no HDR and 5.1

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: LG C1 OLED First Thoughts + JBL Synthesis SDR-35 Review, TV Show & Disc Reviews & more
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

AVForums Podcast: 12th May 2021
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Bluesound unveils new generation of Node and Powernode audio players
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Naim launches Uniti Atom Headphone Edition
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Sennheiser announces flagship IE 900 earphones