Philips OLED+935 TV Review & Comments

Stridsvognen

Whats up with the funky grayscale tracking with HDR, why not calibrate that?

deividas

Im sorry, but can someone please explain me, how this TV and Panasonic HZ2000 get the same score for contrast and dynamic range, when clearly HZ2000 has better above black and much higher brightness? And picture processing is as good as hz2000 or CX? Really?

keithwiggins

Great review thanks, looks a nice combi. Its a bit strange though that b&w offer a great atmos soundbar integrated with the tv, yet there own offerings eschew atmos?

JSM15

Im sorry, but can someone please explain me, how this TV and Panasonic HZ2000 get the same score for contrast and dynamic range, when clearly HZ2000 has better above black and much higher brightness? And picture processing is as good as hz2000 or CX? Really?
I am sure that price is factored into the scores - the HZ2000 is significantly more expensive.

Phil Hinton

Editor
Staff member
They are at different price points and levels of the market. The Panasonic is clearly much more expensive than the Philips. Yes, the video processing and motion are very good on the Philips and easily match this year's Panasonic and LG models. And welcome to AVForums and making your first post here, we hope you enjoy your stay and find the community welcoming.

JSM15

I would also add that Philips use more powerful processors & processing algorithms every year - this year the 935 has even more processing power than the 805.

I believe all of this year's Panasonics are using the same processor as last year, and the CX only seems to be marginally improved over last years C9.

jim_is_ere

I love the look of this TV and the benefits of having a dedicated integrated soundbar, as I’m looking for a TV this month for small cinema/games room.

Im not too bothered about HDMI 2.1, but think I will miss the lack of options when it comes to surround sound. I can’t understand why they don’t provide this as an additional option, as surely that would generate more sales?

Last edited:

ziphnor

I am sure that price is factored into the scores - the HZ2000 is significantly more expensive.
Shouldn't that only be factored into the "Value For Money" score? Otherwise I would also expect to see lower-end TV's with high scores.

ziphnor

I would also add that Philips use more powerful processors & processing algorithms every year - this year the 935 has even more processing power than the 805.
But in an accurate mode (like filmmaker), that processing is turned off.

Phil Hinton

Editor
Staff member
Shouldn't that only be factored into the "Value For Money" score? Otherwise I would also expect to see lower-end TV's with high scores.
No, not really. You have different levels of the market based on price and features. That is how we assess and score at AVForums and how we have always done so. It would be totally unfair to score an £800 TV to the same standards as a £3000 item. They are in different sectors of the market and different levels of features and quality.

JSM15

I love the look of this TV and the benefits of having a dedicated integrated soundbar, as I’m looking for a TV this month for small cinema/games room.

Im not too bothered about HDMI 2.1, but think I will miss the lack of options when it comes to surround sound. I can’t understand why they don’t provide this as an additional option, as surely that would generate more sales?
You can add a subwoofer via the wired connection on the rear. I would assume that you could also add additional speakers via the Play-Fi option?

I expect that people who prefer a full surround sound system would be more likely to go for the 805/865 model.

ziphnor

No, not really. You have different levels of the market based on price and features. That is how we assess and score at AVForums and how we have always done so. It would be totally unfair to score an £800 TV to the same standards as a £3000 item. They are in different sectors of the market and different levels of features and quality.
Really? I did not know that. To be frank, i find that very confusing. Usually when buying something i do not know if i need high end or low end, but rather go by a certain level of performance.

How can I see which "sector" you consider a product to be in? I don't consider hz2000 and 935 to be in different segments for example (it's only 30% difference here in Denmark), so i would expect to be able to compare directly.

SkyBlack86

You can add a subwoofer via the wired connection on the rear. I would assume that you could also add additional speakers via the Play-Fi option?

I expect that people who prefer a full surround sound system would be more likely to go for the 805/865 model.
I'm really interested to know what Play-Fi options there are with this TV. Will it be able to do surround sound using the new Wireless Home Speakers (TAW6205/10 or TAW6505/10)? I think it's pretty cool that they have built in Ambilight that syncs to the TV too.

Does anyone see what the Play-Fi options are on the TV?

FevreDream

I was set on an LG CX until I had my head turned by this beauty, primarily for the B&W speaker bar but picture quality seems excellent too. Shame about the lack of HDMI 2.1 but it’s not a deal breaker for me.

bogart99

Always liked my last Philips set, the gaffer now has it in her study, even if only for the ambilight. Lots see it as a gimmick not so in my opinion. I so miss ambilight on current set am thinking of going for this in 65in. I assume the soundbar is the same size. Now how do you think this soundbar compares with say a £400-500 soundbar.? I currently do not have a sound bar and am considering spending that much to get one so I could offset that if going for this set.

Coulson

Distinguished Member
I've said the same thing for the past 2 years. This is the only OLED TV that I would seriously consider replacing my Sony LED with, and it just got even better.

bogart99

One other question I have just thought of. I would be wall mounting it , does not the set get in the way of the upward firing speakers? Oh and just watched the HDTV review of this where Vincent Teoh states it does implement ALLM

Last edited:

showofdeth

Why does Philips hate gamers so much. I'd buy a Philips OLED if they did better with input lag and gaming features.

What's up, Philips???

machinehead

One other question I have just thought of. I would be wall mounting it , does not the set get in the way of the upward firing speakers? Oh and just watched the HDTV review of this where Vincent Teoh states it does implement ALLM
You use a longer bracket which comes with the TV.

Slugsy01

Distinguished Member
Certainly tempted if I end up getting a refund from JL due to the 3 HZ2000's I've had to return!

Phil Hinton

Editor
Staff member
There is a second metal stand included in the box to assist with wall mounting the TV and speaker bar.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Best Hi-Fi products of 2020, Plus Best of the Month for TV Shows & Movies

Latest News

Black Friday 2020: Best UK deals currently available
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 25th November 2020
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Sky agrees movie deal with Entertainment One
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Amazon Prime Video UK for December 2020
  • By Andy Bassett