PHILIPS OLED+ 935 SERIES TV OWNERS & DISCUSSION THREAD

Have any owners experienced problems with WiFi reception and/or smooth running of streaming apps? I ask because I’m still debating whether to go for the 935 and streaming quality isn’t something that reviews tend to cover. Thanks.

Netflix, Prime, BBCiPlayer, ITV Hub, All4, MyFive, STVPlayer are perfect via my Virgin Media 600Mbps Broadband via WiFi. Router is in upstairs study approx 2.5 metre from /above the VM V6 cable box & TV in my lounge.

NOW TV via 'casting' from my Samsung Tablet is generally good but last night's 'Your Honor' had terrible blurred PQ.

Last edited:
Have any owners experienced problems with WiFi reception and/or smooth running of streaming apps? I ask because I’m still debating whether to go for the 935 and streaming quality isn’t something that reviews tend to cover. Thanks.
My WiFi connection is a stable 800 odd Mbps at the moment. Its not too far from the WiFi access point, about 8 meters through a door to the hallway. I did try using a wired connection as I prefer devices being connected to my network that way if possible. I found that the network adapter is only a 10/100 rather than a 1Gb card. Bit disappointing but I've found quite a few devices like that. Manufacturers saving money!

Someone can please help me?
There is no standby light On The TV, and therefore i can not turn on the TV, and i have tried to plug off the wall the power-cable and when i put in the power-cable to the wall then sometimes the Standby-light shows on the TV and then i can turn it on, but mostely the Standy-light on the TV is gone...
:(

Sounds like the start of my problems I had with my set. I'd log a call into Philips and/or where you bought it from tbh. I no longer have my TV and now have a Sony due to Philips support, or lack thereof.
Good luck!

Sounds like the start of my problems I had with my set. I'd log a call into Philips and/or where you bought it from tbh. I no longer have my TV and now have a Sony due to Philips support, or lack thereof.
Good luck!
How unhelpful was your supplier / retailer resulting in your having to switch brands?. Did your retailer offer a Philip's on-site or off-site repair, or the option of a replacement Philips 935?. I am interested in how Philips actually deal with technical faults reported by a retailer.
I purchased my currently, problem-free, 935 from Richer Sounds so has any poster had technical fault sorted out by them in a professional and efficient manner?.

How unhelpful was your supplier / retailer resulting in your having to switch brands?. Did your retailer offer a Philip's on-site or off-site repair, or the option of a replacement Philips 935?. I am interested in how Philips actually deal with technical faults reported by a retailer.
I purchased my currently, problem-free, 935 from Richer Sounds so has any poster had technical fault sorted out by them in a professional and efficient manner?.
I didn't go to RS and went direct to Philips, I did however make the store I bought from aware.
Philips incorrectly diagnosed the fault over the phone and ordered replacement parts, which took over 3 weeks to arrive. When the technician arrived to replace the supposed faulty boards they obviously didn't rectify the problem so more spares were ordered. During this time I kept chasing through Phillips, don't get me wrong, they were very polite and helpful over the phone, but not once was there any attempt at service recovery even when I said I was contemplating returning the TV. A month after the fault being reported I still didn't have a working set and when the technician turned up with exactly the same boards as his last visit, not his fault they'd sent him the wrong boards again, I'd had enough.
At this point I phoned RS again who agreed to swap it out for the Sony, all of which happened the next day. I phoned Philips to close the case and it was very much a thanks for letting us know and goodbye. Again no attempt to try and sort out the mess, no replacement offered etc etc.

Consequently, I will always shop at RS and I will now never buy Philips again, despite my original Philips LED still going strong after 10 years, due to their awful support.

But i choose philips because of the sound.
I want to hear clear sound, so if i wanted i would choose Sony.

Probably some repair shop will come next week and take the Philips-tv and well see what will happend.

I have had a problem with my TV. When I reported it to Philips it was outside of the returns window which is why I went straight too them. They asked for proof of purchase which I didn't have so I went back to Richer Sounds to get a copy. They then logged a problem report on their side as well. I have to say that I didn't think RS were very helpful. Because I had logged it with Philips on my own they kept washing their hands of it telling me Philips would resolve it. An engineer came out after about 4 weeks and replaced the panel but since then the horizontal lines problem I reported in the first place has returned. This time I went back to RS but all they did was create a ticket and forward my call to Philips. I've sent pictures of the problem to Philips and am now waiting for them to respond.

I have had a problem with my TV. When I reported it to Philips it was outside of the returns window which is why I went straight too them. They asked for proof of purchase which I didn't have so I went back to Richer Sounds to get a copy. They then logged a problem report on their side as well. I have to say that I didn't think RS were very helpful. Because I had logged it with Philips on my own they kept washing their hands of it telling me Philips would resolve it. An engineer came out after about 4 weeks and replaced the panel but since then the horizontal lines problem I reported in the first place has returned. This time I went back to RS but all they did was create a ticket and forward my call to Philips. I've sent pictures of the problem to Philips and am now waiting for them to respond.
Hi there,

I was sorry to read you have been having problems with your TV and offer my apologies.

So that I may investigate further, and help resolve the matter, please could you drop me a PM with your details?

Sincere apologies again, hope to hear from you soon.

Tom Griffiths
Head of Customer Service
Richer Sounds

UK freeview users question: Does anyone else have either of these issues? Keen to find out if it's just my tv...
1 - Aĺl freeview apps (iplayer etc) quit when menu button pressed on remote
2 - Screen saver activates in ITV hub during program
It's not just your TV: at least regarding the 2nd point. Mine does the same thing, and only with ITV Hub: drives me nuts!
And having just tried 1. I find that it does that too...maybe I just hadn't noticed, because I tend to access menu when watching Live TV?
Given we seem to have the same problems, are you able to connect anything (like a phone/ipad) via bluetooth?

I have had my 935 since November, but I have noticed that more recently (after the last software update I think) Netflix just randomly quits, at least once a session. It didn't happen in the first couple months. It's not a connection issue, as I have Virgin fibre via an ethernet connection so can't speak to the wi-fi issue you mention. I previously had an LG B7 OLED and I also find that BBC iPlayer/Prime/etc are a lot slower to load than that, despite the older processor/less memory that had in comparison to the 935

What does anyone think the chances are of Philips enabling eARC on its HDMI ports, through a firmware upgrade on the 935?

I’m not 100% clear on whether it‘s physically possible, but some Googling suggests it is, eARC being one aspect of the HDMI 2.1 spec that can be added to HDMI 2.0b retrospectively should the manufacturer choose to do so.

I’ve only just got my 48OLED935 in the last couple of weeks, and the only thing that’s annoying me is the lip sync issue with Dolby Digital via Sky Q through Sonos Beam (which doesn’t happen through Apple TV or BluRay player) - the video is ahead of the sound so options are limited.

I’ve reluctantly got Sky Q set to ’Normal’ at the minute, as the most convenient workaround. I guess it would be resolved if the TV were eARC-enabled though.

I did email Philips about it and they said the 935’s hardware will physically not allow it, but I’m not sure I believe them. My guess is that even if it is possible, Philips won’t, in order to make it a feature of its 2021 ranges.

Any thoughts?

It's not just your TV: at least regarding the 2nd point. Mine does the same thing, and only with ITV Hub: drives me nuts!
And having just tried 1. I find that it does that too...maybe I just hadn't noticed, because I tend to access menu when watching Live TV?
Given we seem to have the same problems, are you able to connect anything (like a phone/ipad) via bluetooth?
I had not tried/needed to connect via bluetooth. As you asked I gave it a go with my tablet and connected with no issue. Ironically it will not now let me unpair!

I have been on to Philips about the menu/freeview closing issue - they have sent me a fix to try but it involves another complete reset :(

I had a problem with a mid range LCD Philips model I bought last year from Richer Sounds. The picture quality was awful. I sent a couple of images to Richer Sounds and they said it looked like a faulty model so they replaced it. The replacement model had the exact same issue so I went to Philips instead.

Philips got me to do a small minor test on the TV and asked to send them the results. After a month or so of me asking if they had any updates for me they said as a gesture of good will they would upgrade me from my mid range LCD model to an OLED model (I chose the 48OLED935). I was pretty happy with that.

I had not tried/needed to connect via bluetooth. As you asked I gave it a go with my tablet and connected with no issue. Ironically it will not now let me unpair!

I have been on to Philips about the menu/freeview closing issue - they have sent me a fix to try but it involves another complete reset :(
I would ask you for the menu/freeview fix, but I really would lose the will to live, if I had to tweak every setting, on every source, again! 🤣
I think I will just accept that I need to go back into whatever app I was kicked out of, in the event I need to change settings
Thanks for trying the bluetooth access. I guess it just proves that there are issues with bluetooth connection in general. I have a B&O system with AirPlay2 in the same room, so streaming music would be a "nice to have' on the TV, but not so essential that I want to be abused/ignored by Philips customer care.
It seems that owning this TV (I've had it since November) is just a never-ending series of compromises.
*The picture is OK (although not as good as my LG OLED, as you have to tweak the settings so often, and it's so complicated!)
*The sound is ok (not as good as my previous standalone system, but then I knew this)
I have a Virgin Tivo and had to select the PCM option for audio, as the Dolby Digital output has lip sync issues, which defeats the purpose of the B&W speaker bar
*I use the LiveTV a lot and the lack of channel favourites is a pain.
*I don't use ITVHub anymore because having to press any button, every minute or so, to stop the screensaver is bonkers and super annoying.
*Having to change picture settings for every source probably seems like a good idea, but in practice leaves you fiddling constantly.
*Using the AI settings gives a hideously over-processed image (maybe it's worse on the 65 inch?)
I still like the Ambilight although I can't get it to work with my Hue Bridge.
And the overall look of it is sleek (I have it wall mounted)
....but would I buy again? not in a million years....especially as I have been following the REAL panel and other problems people have had in this forum.

New OTA Update now available:

TPM191E _ 101.001.250.003 – Date: 2021/03/12

– Fix for no UHD playback in Disney+
– Fix for subwoofer pre out not working after StandBy
– Fix for garbage bar on top of screen
– Fix for unexpected appear of OLED screen server when use apps from Philips TV collection
– Not responding for Logitech Harmony RC direct commands is fixed
– Improvement on SmartTV, HbbTV performance in case of IPv6 connection
– Improvements for HDMI ARC connection stability
– Stability improvements
– Other general improvements

I had been hoping that
– Fix for unexpected appear of OLED screen server when use apps from Philips TV collection
would apply to ITVHub.
Unfortunately it doesn't seem to: the screensaver continues to "unexpected appear" after 2 minutes
I shall have to drop another stone down the Philips helpline well...

Disney + UHD seems to finally be fixed. Of limited use to me, as my one year subscription from its launch runs out next week, and there isn't much to recommend a renewal. But great when the next Mandalorian season drops

HDMI ARC connection stability appears have resolved my lip sync issue with Dolby Digital from Virgin Tivo. It's hard to discern any difference in overall quality, but a resolution nonetheless

I would also say that the update took a worryingly long time; I'm not sure that I want the entire working of the television to be entrusted to a stone down the Philips well, so this was a relief when it completed itself!😅

Last edited:
Warning/Discovered TV not compatible with some Android box devices.
Cause serious damage to the TV .

Oh wow. What kind of damage?
I could not turn the TV for about one week!

The standby light was gone and the TV was dead, until i disovered the issue was the Android box.

Until i removed from the power completely the Android box and now the TV works again after one week

@ Eric35 where did you read this? Do you have a link to support this message? Just putting a message here with a serious accusation, without a source reference, I don't think it's neat!

@ Eric35 where did you read this? Do you have a link to support this message? Just putting a message here with a serious accusation, without a source reference, I don't think it's neat!

Read my post above >

I could not turn the TV for about one week!

The standby light was gone and the TV was dead, until i disovered the issue was the Android box.

Until i removed from the power completely the Android box and now the TV works again after one week

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom