• We are currently running a full reindex on the database following a problem yesterday morning (Thursday 5th December).
    This will take a few hours to complete and during this time, search results will be incomplete or non-existant. Apologies for the inconvenience.

Philips OLED+934 Review & Comments

AncientYouth

Well, they are so very similar. But I also think we need a new scoring system.
well if they are all so very similar then the score is correct despite being the same.

seems to be like the technology has reached its consumer limit with only panasonic stretching it a bit further but at a significant cost

mjeccs

Standard Member
I would love to know how the speakers on this compare to those of the E9? I am considering both these sets.

Strator100

Standard Member
I wonder if the 65" version keeps the same soundbar width or is proportionally wider, could change the way the tv sounds?
The review seems to show pretty much the same experience I had with the sound, though I found that the higher the volume the wider the sound space became (still very forwards though).

dion 6

Great review Phil i've got a GZ950 myself and i'm very happy with it connected to a Sony AVR and a 5.1.2 system. I think if anybody is just buying a stand alone tv the Phillips is the way to go with the Bowers and Wilkins soundbar.

Phil Hinton

Editor
Staff member
I would love to know how the speakers on this compare to those of the E9? I am considering both these sets.
I have a 55-inch E9 in now for review. The Philips sounds better in my opinion.

clnthl

Well, they are so very similar. But I also think we need a new scoring system.
I don’t know if a new scoring system would help too much as if they are all so similar then they would be similar on any scoring system. I know you break down things in the reviews anyway but maybe a score out of 10 for calibrated and non calibrated would be useful to people who wouldn’t consider calibration. Or a score for each type of content so SD, HD, UHD

Phil Hinton

Editor
Staff member
Thanks for the reply Phil. Is the difference in sound huge?

I am put off by the gaming performance of the Philips when compared to the LG.
It's a well-designed speaker by Bowers and Wilkins, so yes the difference is there. However, the E9 is probably the better all-round performer and if you're a gamer it is also HDMI 2.1 which might be useful for future consoles etc.

mjeccs

Standard Member
It's a well-designed speaker by Bowers and Wilkins, so yes the difference is there. However, the E9 is probably the better all-round performer and if you're a gamer it is also HDMI 2.1 which might be useful for future consoles etc.
Thanks Phil. I currently game on a monitor, however there’s always the chance that I would like to play on the oled. Will certainly be picking up a ps5 too. I have read that the speakers are much improved from the C9....

Think I will take the Philips off of the shortlist now. Now it’s a case of choosing between the E9 and C9 but in the larger 65” size. I have my reservations due to the fact that a 65” will literally just fit into my current space.

Look forward to the review buddy. Thanks again for all of the help.

frendex

Novice Member
Great review. Thanks.
Will it play the lossless tracks like truehd with atmos from external sources or is atmos only for internal apps with dd+? Will it play the DTS-HD tracks from a Blu-ray player or choose on of the others? What with apple TV and multichannel PCM? Will this soundbar solve the limitation ARC put on getting lossless sound out of the tv?

888SNG

Standard Member
I remembered a very recent Oled shoot out in London conducted by Mr V.Toeh.I couldn't go as it was far from Wimbledon to travel from.
The Sony AG9 and the 'reminder' reference Oled studio monitor used in the test couldn't persuade viewers to go with the Sony TV which has the most accurate portrayal of the colourist motion picture treatment.Finished last in the test!
I am not too concerned about the nth degree of accuracy of the TV picture looks to the studio image as it isn't a deal breaker - no one really subjectively cares.

Mr THX

Finding it hard to find one of these!! Richer Sounds out of stock with 50 coming into the company shortly. Called in our local Currys but they don’t have a single Phillips TV in the store, but gave me the usual ‘we can get you one’

Mr THX

Question for Phil how does this get the same ‘7’ score for Sound as the GZ950? Ignore.... looking at wrong review :)
Please delete post

Last edited:

jpr141

The dimming gets increasingly worse when you stay watching Sport or something? That's worrying for me. Maybe Phil could explain the impact of that further. So if I'm watching like Cricket or Footy the TV will think oh 30mins has past I better dim some. 45mins has past I better dim more.

Is this right?

If so it puts me right off Philips.

JSM15

Finding it hard to find one of these!! Richer Sounds out of stock with 50 coming into the company shortly. Called in our local Currys but they don’t have a single Phillips TV in the store, but gave me the usual ‘we can get you one’
JL have the 55" & 65" models listed. At time of posting, the 55 is out of stock but there are two 65's in stock.

mclingo

Distinguished Member
I think you should post both written and video reviews together, even if it means the written is a few days late, nobody likes to see "coming", whats the purpose of staggering these?

Phil Hinton

Editor
Staff member
I think you should post both written and video reviews together, even if it means the written is a few days late, nobody likes to see "coming", whats the purpose of staggering these?
A lot of hard work goes into writing and editing these reviews and videos, which as a reader of AVForums you have access to for free. It takes time and as such, we decided to get the reviews out in written form first so AVForums members can read them straight away. The videos will follow a little while later.

mclingo

Distinguished Member
indeed and we appreciate your very hard work, I still think they should come out at the same time though, just feels odd to me, much better package to have the choice there and then of either or both, people may not bothe to revisit the review a second time to watch the video where they might view both if they are out at the same time.

I prefer to watch the video first and then dip into the written for more detail if required.

jpr141

A lot of hard work goes into writing and editing these reviews and videos, which as a reader of AVForums you have access to for free. It takes time and as such, we decided to get the reviews out in written form first so AVForums members can read them straight away. The videos will follow a little while later.
Cheers for the review of the 934.

But I'm a tad concerned about this part, 'but watching sports over time will see it dim as time goes on'. As a potential buyer of a Philips 2019 OLED and quite a frequent sports watcher it might put me off. Could you expand a little on the issue with sports. Does it keep progressively dimming as every 15 mins goes by or something.

Did it happen on the 804/854 as well?

Chuck Summers

Standard Member
I got the TV this morning and after playing around with it for a few hours am really impressed with the picture and am generally loving it.

There’s just a couple of minor issues. UK catch-up app support is poor and restricted to iPlayer only, but I’m guessing/hoping that this will be sorted soon and isn’t a big deal for me and my viewing habits.

The one bigger disappointment is the Netflix app. Nothing is showing as Dolby Atmos when the same movies do via my Apple TV, (for example ‘Bright’). I’m really surprised by this as I thought one of the selling points of this TV was the Atmos soundbar.

In the grand scheme of things these are minor niggles which should get sorted with updates.

JSM15

I got the TV this morning and after playing around with it for a few hours am really impressed with the picture and am generally loving it.

There’s just a couple of minor issues. UK catch-up app support is poor and restricted to iPlayer only, but I’m guessing/hoping that this will be sorted soon and isn’t a big deal for me and my viewing habits.

The one bigger disappointment is the Netflix app. Nothing is showing as Dolby Atmos when the same movies do via my Apple TV, (for example ‘Bright’). I’m really surprised by this as I thought one of the selling points of this TV was the Atmos soundbar.

In the grand scheme of things these are minor niggles which should get sorted with updates.
Thanks for this information - this is one of three TV's on my list. How good is the soundbar in terms of volume, bass & voice clarity and how aggressive is the ABL?