Philips OLED+ 934 4K TV Hands On Review & Comments

View attachment 1329700
No problem, yeah it's straight to hdmi, make sure you've set your hdmi socket to optimal as well.
Used the same settings as you with my 4k firestick but still shows 8 bit on the three formats when i check using info button on tv remote.
Decided to try my 2015 shield tv and that shows 10 bit for disney + and Amazon prime!Also bt.2020 which is also correct.So problem seems to lie with cube2 and firestick 4k settings.I will have to investigate further.
The tv info looks to be working as it should at least.

Used the same settings as you with my 4k firestick but still shows 8 bit on the three formats when i check using info button on tv remote.
Decided to try my 2015 shield tv and that shows 10 bit for disney + and Amazon prime!Also bt.2020 which is also correct.So problem seems to lie with cube2 and firestick 4k settings.I will have to investigate further.
The tv info looks to be working as it should at least.
10 bit Disney with Dolby vision?

10 bit Disney with Dolby vision?
The 2015 shield tv does not support dolby vision unfortunately.At least I know that I should get 10 bit with hdr and hdr+ I will try to find out why I am not getting that with 4k stick and cube2.Then I will be able to check dolby vision to see what that reports and take it from there.

The 2015 shield tv does not support dolby vision unfortunately.At least I know that I should get 10 bit with hdr and hdr+ I will try to find out why I am not getting that with 4k stick and cube2.Then I will be able to check dolby vision to see what that reports and take it from there.
For some unexplainable reason I can't get tv info to show anything other than 8 bit for all three formats using both cube2 and 4k firestick.For dolby vision stream in particular it shows 8 bit and colour gamut bt709.However info from the amazon secret menu for the same stream shows it as full 4k resolution and colour gamut bt2020.This is correct for dolby vision.So the info showing on tv device info is not correct.
There is no reason for me to suspect the stream is not correct as the p.q.is fine.No colour banding or other issues.
It is difficult to know what should be displaying because there is no reference standard.Tv display shows one thing,4k stick another,cube v2 another,apple 4k another ,each streaming service displays another(that's if you can access any streaming info).
Anyone using a firetv cube v2 or 4k stick with pus 7304 are welcome to report there findings if they wish.Any help is welcome.

Hi,
I have a 55OLED934 for about 2 weeks, and I have the same issues about Dolby Vision with 8 bits display.

I set my Nvidia Shield Pro 2019 to YUV422 12 bits Bt2020 and when watching HDR or DV movies my Philips displey YUV422 8 bits Bt2020
I tried to change my HDMI cable, not working

When reading user manual, they say that I should receive up to 12 bit: YCbCr 4:2:0*, YCbCr 4:2:2* if HDMI set to Optimal

EDIT : By the way i receive 8 bits with Xbox One X on HDR and Dolby Vision content

Last edited:
Hi,
I have a 55OLED934 for about 2 weeks, and I have the same issues about Dolby Vision with 8 bits display.

I set my Nvidia Shield Pro 2019 to YUV422 12 bits Bt2020 and when watching HDR or DV movies my Philips displey YUV422 8 bits Bt2020
I tried to change my HDMI cable, not working

When reading user manual, they say that I should receive up to 12 bit: YCbCr 4:2:0*, YCbCr 4:2:2* if HDMI set to Optimal

EDIT : By the way i receive 8 bits with Xbox One X on HDR and Dolby Vision content
Perhaps 8 bit is not an issue for Dolby Vision.It may just show the lowest bit rate that is required but,because it is a closed system,will process the data to suit the panel being used.The fact that it indicates bt.2020 and not bt.709 suggests this.Without acknowledgement from a person in the know about what is correct I am unsure.
There is plenty info on what dolby vision is except what we all need to know,and that is what should we see to know we are receiving it correctly.

Maybe it a bug as I noticed something similar regarding the bit number with ps4 if I have hdd enabled Philips tv report 12bit (should be 10bit) but if I turn it off then it reports 10bit.

What have Philips said about it

I gave up with the firestick 4k and relegated it to the bedroom TV. I use the inbuilt apps for Amazon, Netflix and Disney now. A youview box for freeview

The firestick would always show as 8bit, never switching to 10bit. My original ShieldTV showed correctly at 10bit (but does not have DV).

The firestick would also cause a weird crackling on the audio after moving from different image sources.

I did contact both Philips and Amazon. Amazon weren't interested, Philips sent me a debug key to log and record the TV switching between sources. Interestingly the log does show it recognising other colour bits available, but didn't switch correctly. However Philips never got back in touch and no further updates (even after I chased) from their support team. same issue with my other support tickets, waste of time logging them.

something from my previous investigations and enabling a debug mode on the firestick:
Then it got me thinking, is the bit colour depth reported in the Philips info panel actually a bug? because when I turn on the Firestick overlay it does show/report a 10bit colour and codec being used... So is the TV wrong or is it hampering what the firestick is trying to give it?

Iplayer HD - for reference and the UHD stuff seems to have gone missing
Amazon HDR10+
Youtube HDR 4k
Netflix DV 1080p
Netflix 4k
Netflix DV 2k

Last edited:
I gave up with the firestick 4k and relegated it to the bedroom TV. I use the inbuilt apps for Amazon, Netflix and Disney now. A youview box for freeview

The firestick would always show as 8bit, never switching to 10bit. My original ShieldTV showed correctly at 10bit (but does not have DV).

The firestick would also cause a weird crackling on the audio after moving from different image sources.

I did contact both Philips and Amazon. Amazon weren't interested, Philips sent me a debug key to log and record the TV switching between sources. Interestingly the log does show it recognising other colour bits available, but didn't switch correctly. However Philips never got back in touch and no further updates (even after I chased) from their support team. same issue with my other support tickets, waste of time logging them.

something from my previous investigations and enabling a debug mode on the firestick:
Then it got me thinking, is the bit colour depth reported in the Philips info panel actually a bug? because when I turn on the Firestick overlay it does show/report a 10bit colour and codec being used... So is the TV wrong or is it hampering what the firestick is trying to give it?

Iplayer HD - for reference and the UHD stuff seems to have gone missing
Amazon HDR10+
Youtube HDR 4k
Netflix DV 1080p
Netflix 4k
Netflix DV 2k
I get the same findings as you with the amazon overlay and the tv info telling it different.i would use the built in apps but they dont support dolby atmos to my avr.So I will just use my cube v2.Hard to say if cube v2 or firestick is pushing right info to tv but tv is not processing it correctly,or the info showing on tv has bug.

That's exactly the question I have in mind.
My Shield show/report 12bit colour but TV still in 8bits

I tried to take some shots with my Canon DSLR, to compare Dolby Vision show with Shield TV and Built-in apps.
As far as I can see, I do not see colours differences.

The Philips debug key is unique, or someone else could use it?
I really want to contact them and Nvidia to investigate on it

EDIT :
Well I've done further researches on Nvidia forum, and they said that 8 bit RVB signal received by the TV is normal in DV.
DV signal is packed into an 8bit RGB stream so it can be sent through HDMI to be unpacked by the TV. It’s called RGB tunneling, and it’s the preferred way to send a DV signal if the TV supports it.

If you receive a 8 bit RGB signal on your TV in place of 12 bit YUV, it's seems that's perfectly normal

Last edited:
I've recently received just the soundbar from this TV from someone who was not using it and was hoping to enjoy it myself. I have both Samsung and Sony LED Tv's at home. My issue is that I have never seen this cable/type of connection on the back of the soundbar before and the online user manual seems of little help. I was wondering if anyone could please tell me if this connection is unique just to this Philips model of TV or if there is an adaptor which can be used to make it compatible with other TV's? Thanks in advance

Attachments

• philipsconn.jpg
    philipsconn.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 72
Hey folks, just a heads up that there was an update for the 754 today that finally fixes the Dolby Vision issue. The TV now correctly processes the DV stream from external devices (ATV, Shield, Fire stick) and reproduces it in the correct bitrate with no more banding. 😁

I see no reason why your model won't be close behind, if there isn't already an update waiting for you.

I've just installed the update and no longer have any output via the subwoofer 🤦‍♂️ Philips really need to get their ducks in a line. Fix one thing, break another!

I've just installed the update and no longer have any output via the subwoofer 🤦‍♂️ Philips really need to get their ducks in a line. Fix one thing, break another!

My subwoofer out still works fine on all internal apps since the update, not tested the BT Youview box specifically and haven't noticed a drop in woof level. Sorry, probably not what you want to hear.

I spotted they have changed the motion options, there is now a True Cinema as well as Movie. One is missing, I cant remember which it is. Oddly I never really found a sweet-spot before for motion, I mostly stuck with Movie or Personal (with most things off or at the lowest setting). However the new True Cinema is really really good and now I run everything on that from Live tennis to films

My subwoofer out still works fine on all internal apps since the update, not tested the BT Youview box specifically and haven't noticed a drop in woof level. Sorry, probably not what you want to hear.

I spotted they have changed the motion options, there is now a True Cinema as well as Movie. One is missing, I cant remember which it is. Oddly I never really found a sweet-spot before for motion, I mostly stuck with Movie or Personal (with most things off or at the lowest setting). However the new True Cinema is really really good and now I run everything on that from Live tennis to films

I've not seen the True Cinema setting yet.
I do use a BT box for my day to day viewing and use Snoops Just Eat advert as a test for bass, as there isn't anything else that comes close. If I know how much bass that advert makes then I know I won't annoy too much.
But I'm getting next to zero bass from my woofer. I may see if I can revert back to a previous firmware to test it.

That's exactly the question I have in mind.
My Shield show/report 12bit colour but TV still in 8bits

I tried to take some shots with my Canon DSLR, to compare Dolby Vision show with Shield TV and Built-in apps.
As far as I can see, I do not see colours differences.

The Philips debug key is unique, or someone else could use it?
I really want to contact them and Nvidia to investigate on it

EDIT :
Well I've done further researches on Nvidia forum, and they said that 8 bit RVB signal received by the TV is normal in DV.
DV signal is packed into an 8bit RGB stream so it can be sent through HDMI to be unpacked by the TV. It’s called RGB tunneling, and it’s the preferred way to send a DV signal if the TV supports it.

If you receive a 8 bit RGB signal on your TV in place of 12 bit YUV, it's seems that's perfectly normal
I now have a 2019 shield pro and can confirm the above info.You can disable dolby vision on shield settings so watching say end game on disney+ the info shows 10 bit and bt.2020 and hdr.When dolby vision is abled it shows 8 bit and bt.709 and dolby vision.Think I prefer watching with dolby vision disabled as colour palette seems better and image brighter.Maybe 350 nits of my tv can't do dolby vision justice.

I have the same issue , sub not powering on so not seeing a signal. Will try internal apps shortly but with a Sky Q box zero bass.

Hi all, I'm watching the prices drop on an opened box {protective film still in place} 934. Currently about 1250 quid.
Would you recommend?
I want a system with good quality sound so that I can remove some items from the extension sockets
Thanks

I have the same issue , sub not powering on so not seeing a signal. Will try internal apps shortly but with a Sky Q box zero bass.

Had the same issue after recent firmware update.
Today I have found new firmware update (it is not yet listed on Philips website, but it is available trough TV settings, update) and now subwoofer output working fine.

Had the same issue after recent firmware update.
Today I have found new firmware update (it is not yet listed on Philips website, but it is available trough TV settings, update) and now subwoofer output working fine.
Thanks for posting , really helpful. I raised a case with Philips about the issue and strangely they just closed my case, albeit with no reason why.
Cheers

Can I ask, with the new firmware did you see a change for the subwoofer out option, it was under sound - advanced. After almost a year of issues with my unit I eventually got an engineer out and he fitted a new control board. This had the faulty firmware installed on it. At first we could see the sub out option, but after reverting to a previous firmware, again no sub output, went back to the faulty firmware where the sub option disappeared.
I reported the new fault to Philips and they said there was a fault in the firmware and they were trying to solve the issue. No ETA no Comms to say a new version was available. Just got an email asking for a review of my correspondence, my response wont be pleasant reading (just like this post).
I haven't tried the new firmware as I have literally just found out it's available by you lot.
I'd be interested in knowing of you have any sub or bass options available on your units.
If you're looking to buy one of these, I'd hold off for bow, or buy from somewhere you can literally take it back within a few days if you have a faulty unit.

Can I ask, with the new firmware did you see a change for the subwoofer out option, it was under sound - advanced. After almost a year of issues with my unit I eventually got an engineer out and he fitted a new control board. This had the faulty firmware installed on it. At first we could see the sub out option, but after reverting to a previous firmware, again no sub output, went back to the faulty firmware where the sub option disappeared.
I reported the new fault to Philips and they said there was a fault in the firmware and they were trying to solve the issue. No ETA no Comms to say a new version was available. Just got an email asking for a review of my correspondence, my response wont be pleasant reading (just like this post).
I haven't tried the new firmware as I have literally just found out it's available by you lot.
I'd be interested in knowing of you have any sub or bass options available on your units.
If you're looking to buy one of these, I'd hold off for bow, or buy from somewhere you can literally take it back within a few days if you have a faulty unit.
The menu option for “subwoofer out” has always been present in the settings sound menus on all the firmware versions (including the version where the sub out was dead). The latest firmware fixed the issue and my sub is working again. Hopefully the new firmware fixes this for you.

The sub woofer does now work 👍 but the option is still missing. Looks like I'll need another controller board after all.

Hi Guys, I need help.

I am interested in this TV but I would need to mount the soundbar in a separate location. Are there B&W soundbar extension cords available? Do they exist? Thanks

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom