Philips OLED+ 934 4K TV Hands On Review & Comments

Domsy

Hey everyone,
With a receiver, would you need to continually adjust the audio delay for each video source (SDR, HDR, etc. via same input) due to differing picture processing?
Is anyone using a receiver and speakers with this TV? I'm looking at getting a receiver and speakers (a 5.1 setup initially and 5.2.2 eventually) but I have a concern about audio delay. I intend to use my Shield TV Pro (2019) so it would be: Shield -> Receiver -> TV.

I've never had a receiver before, so this is new to me, but I understand a receiver will process the audio at a different 'speed' than the TV will process its picture. Generally, the TV will take longer to process the picture due to its picture/motion processing, etc., so the audio can end up being too soon. I know receivers can, if necessary, either automatically set the delay (Auto Lip Sync? not sure if this TV has it) or you can set it manually.

My biggest concern with this is if it'll be a set once thing and be done, or if the delay can end up varying between video sources (all from same input/Shield, such as Netflix, Prime Video, Plex, etc.). SDR, Dolby Vision, HDR10, etc. all have differing picture processing options available and can be changed individually, so I worry they could potentially have a different delay each. I wonder if even resolution might affect this (though the Shield will upscale so the TV will almost always have a 4K signal), and potentially even colour space or other such things.

I don't want to have to be changing the delay constantly depending upon what I watch. That would entirely ruin the experience for me. Picture and motion processing are essential to me and it is not an option for me to disable features to try getting around needing to adjust the delay. ARC (if it'd make a difference) is also not an option because this TV doesn't support HDMI 2.1 and eARC (something I'm not too happy about for a TV this new).

Will really appreciate hearing experiences and advice with this. Thank you! :)

P.S. The specific receiver I'm looking at is a Denon AVR-X3600H (possibly this bundle). I don't have speakers yet either so this would be a very expensive mistake if it doesn't work as smoothly as I'd hope.

Gixer73

Novice Member
HI,

Changelog TPM191E _ 001.002.173.010–Date: 2020/04/20
  • Fix for specific Smart TV apps
  • Improvements for firmware update

[email protected]
Having received the tv today, I found when I play the bbc iplayer I had no sound so carried out a software update, now the iplayer app wont even start up. Comes up with a message about it being a freeview play error. Any ideas?

Attachments

eddablin

Standard Member
Try factory reset with a coaxial cable plugged in and scan for channels. I think this is how iplayer checks what location you are in.

Gixer73

Novice Member
Try factory reset with a coaxial cable plugged in and scan for channels. I think this is how iplayer checks what location you are in.
Thanks. I dont have an aerial to plug in. Will look at getting a portable one.

Update, tried a portable aerial and the Iplayer works, so with this TV you HAVE to have an aerial attached to use the iplayer Which is painful. I have an LG oled and the iplayer works off the internet rather than an aerial which is so much better.

Last edited:

eddablin

Standard Member
Has anyone got the ability to create a favourite channel list? I don't for some reason.

majkom

this whole thread sounds like a bag of problems you buy with this tv.. pitty, that philips aint any good on software side, as this tv is for really good money here where i live

limblee

Has anyone else had issues with the TV refusing to turn on? I've had mine since Black Friday Sales and I've used the update over internet option once a couple of weeks as we all know how buggy the software has been.
My latest issue is trying to turn the TV on from standby (over 10 hours) using the official remote.
I've changed the batteries and attempted to turn it on via attached set too boxes (BT latest box and a Panasonic Blu ray player) and still the TV ignores the commands.
The only way to get it to wake up is unplug it to power the whole thing down.

On a side note I've also had the Android boot up sequence pop up on screen during watching a TV channel, what you'd expect to see when updating firmware or first booting. Happened twice and bloody annoying! I think this may get sent back to JL as it's still under warranty.

Supermal

Has anyone else had issues with the TV refusing to turn on? I've had mine since Black Friday Sales and I've used the update over internet option once a couple of weeks as we all know how buggy the software has been.
My latest issue is trying to turn the TV on from standby (over 10 hours) using the official remote.
I've changed the batteries and attempted to turn it on via attached set too boxes (BT latest box and a Panasonic Blu ray player) and still the TV ignores the commands.
The only way to get it to wake up is unplug it to power the whole thing down.

On a side note I've also had the Android boot up sequence pop up on screen during watching a TV channel, what you'd expect to see when updating firmware or first booting. Happened twice and bloody annoying! I think this may get sent back to JL as it's still under warranty.
I dont have that model but all I can suggest is to reset the remote connection to the tv(repair it).There is a procedure for this.Or you could try a universal remote if you can get your hands on one.The supplied remotes for these are not the best for sure.

CraftyClown

Standard Member
Hello 934 owners. I'm just a lowly 754 owner :D but I have a question for you if you don't mind.
We have discovered an issue with the 754 that we are trying to get Philips to recognise and I was curious to see if it affects any other Philips TVs.
The issue is with how the set handles Dolby Vision from external sources, ie streaming boxes (ATV, Shield TV etc) and Bluray players connected via HDMI. Dolby Vision is detected and the correct modes are selected however there is banding on screen. Pressing the info button reveals that the TV is still in 8bit mode rather than the 12bit necessary for DV and hence the banding.
This issue does not affect any built in Philips apps such as Netflix which plays DV correctly in 12bit, but unfortunately no external device seems to work at all.
This appears to be a software issue, however despite a number of owners reporting it, Philips don't seem to recognise it as an issue. I'm doing this check to see how potentially widespread this bug is, before going back to Philips and shaking my fist at them.

This is very simple to test; Open Netflix on any external device and play any Dolby Vision content, then check info to see what the bit depth is. If it's 12bit you're golden, but if it's 8bit? ...Well, then you can join me in a bit of fist shaking.

Cheers team 934

This is very simple to test; Open Netflix on any external device and play any Dolby Vision content, then check info to see what the bit depth is. If it's 12bit you're golden, but if it's 8bit? ...Well, then you can join me in a bit of fist shaking.

Cheers team 934
[/QUOTE]

8bit on my 934 from Apple TV 👎

Attachments

CraftyClown

Standard Member
Thanks @Chuck Summers that's good to know. Sorry to hear you guys are affected too, but in some ways it may be good thing the more TV's are affected as it may force them to deal with the issue.

Can I suggest if you have a few minutes free to send an email to Philips support. The more people that point out the problem, the more likely they are to escalate and fix it.

Fatsam47

Novice Member
Hi,

I have the same issue with my TV, shows as 8bit when watching from AppleTV. Haven’t noticed any banding though. I’ll email Philips support. Thanks for pushing this.

Supermal

Hello 934 owners. I'm just a lowly 754 owner :D but I have a question for you if you don't mind.
We have discovered an issue with the 754 that we are trying to get Philips to recognise and I was curious to see if it affects any other Philips TVs.
The issue is with how the set handles Dolby Vision from external sources, ie streaming boxes (ATV, Shield TV etc) and Bluray players connected via HDMI. Dolby Vision is detected and the correct modes are selected however there is banding on screen. Pressing the info button reveals that the TV is still in 8bit mode rather than the 12bit necessary for DV and hence the banding.
This issue does not affect any built in Philips apps such as Netflix which plays DV correctly in 12bit, but unfortunately no external device seems to work at all.
This appears to be a software issue, however despite a number of owners reporting it, Philips don't seem to recognise it as an issue. I'm doing this check to see how potentially widespread this bug is, before going back to Philips and shaking my fist at them.

Cheers team 934
Dolby vision at the moment will be 10 bit at best for streaming services.12 bit is for future services when devices can handle it.Info panels cannot be relied on I find.If dolby vision flag appears then the stream should be 10 bit but I dont know how you can check.Only time I see 12 bit is from 4k bluray player with dolby vision.

Fatsam47

Novice Member
That’s interesting Supermal. I must say that although it says 8 bit the picture from the Apple TV looks pretty decent to me, not noticed any banding and I’ve watched a few ITunes Films.

I’ve raised it with Philips anyway along with the LFE issue mentioned in tech radar review. I’ll see what they come back with.

I’m still pretty happy with Tv, love the ambilight, picture is great to my eyes, watch it pretty much exclusively in movie mode.

CraftyClown

Standard Member
Dolby vision at the moment will be 10 bit at best for streaming services.12 bit is for future services when devices can handle it.Info panels cannot be relied on I find.If dolby vision flag appears then the stream should be 10 bit but I dont know how you can check.Only time I see 12 bit is from 4k bluray player with dolby vision.
If you play exactly the same content using the TVs internal apps, 12bit is correctly displayed on the info panel and the banding seen via the external devices goes away. For clarity this is also an issue with Dolby Vision on HD Bluray discs.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: LCD TVs for Movies, Physical Discs?, RIP Ennio Morricone, AV & Movie news, B+W Matt Damon

Trending threads

Latest News

LG CX and GX OLED TVs gain AMD FreeSync Premium
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Samsung launches HW-Q950T and HW-Q900T Dolby Atmos soundbars
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 12th July 2020
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
QDC Blue Dragon earphones on sale in UK