Philips OLED 854 Bluetooth problems?

TV: Philips 65OLED854
Bluetooth device: Bose Quiet Comfort Earbuds

Hello,

Having real problems with bluetooth on my Philips 854.

So I just did a complete reinstallation of my TV to make sure I tested this from scratch.

The very first initial connection:
While earbuds are in the charging case press the sync-button for about 3sec, earbuds start to flash blue with around 1sec interval
then
(see video at the bottom for exact steps but something along the lines of)

Bluetooth >
Search >
Earbuds identifies as "Bose QC Earbuds >
Click on the identified earbuds >
Another page asking if you want to pair the earbuds with a "Pair" or ""Cancel"-options but page automatically closes after a few seconds, you can click "Pair" but you need to be REALLY fast >
Regardless if you click "Pair" or not this succeeds

Now to the problem:
Disable bluetooth on the device first in the pairing order (my phone)
Take up earbuds from case, earbuds automatically start pairing with associated devices
Earbuds report they are paired with TV
However the "Audio Output" is set to "HDMI (ARC)" since the soundbar is the normal audio-source for me.
Switching the audio output to "Bose QC Earbuds" basically DCs the bluetooth connection and I hear "Connection Lost" from the earbuds
Checking the audio output on the TV I see "Bose QC Earbuds" are gone from the list
Checking the TVs bluetooth option shows that "Remove Device" is greyed out i.e. no bluetooth devices are added to the TV
Trying to pair to the TV again ALWAYS fail unless I clear the earbuds memory from all previously connected devices
^ A weird thing here is that when I try to pair again the earbuds first identify as "LE-Bose QC Earbuds" to a few seconds after changing to "Bose QC Earbuds". Regardless "which" earbuds I try and connect it always fail unless I reset the earbuds.

Generally the TV starts crashing and acting up when trying to re-pair or connect to the earbuds even when they are connected.

No other devices (my Windows laptop or my Android phone not to mention my LG OLED SmartTV) have any issues, they work fine without any issues.

Any ideas?
Anyone having similar problems?

Here is a video of the successful pairing (sadly without showing how the earbuds behave, haven't been able to reproduce a successful pairing):

Here is a video of a failed pairing incl. how the earbuds behave:

Appreciate your time - Karl

Update 12-12-20:
The plot thickens.
Tried a third party bluetooth scanner / pairing-app and that app doesn't just make the screen asking you to click "pair" or "cancel" flash by in a couple of seconds like Philips bluetooth pairing does.

However even after successfully pairing the device and seeing the device as an audio output and having that audio output selected my Bose earbuds only tries to connect to my phone and not the TV, according to the earbuds my TV does not exist.

Even going into Philips own "Remove Bluetooth"-menu I see the device as connected but my earbuds won't try and connect to my TV.

Sigh....

So why does that "Accept Bluetooth Pairing"-screen just flash by when using Philips GUI?

Last edited:

Dimasq

I have exactly the same problem too with this TV, since installing the newest firmware in beginning of December 20, I was fetched with lots of Bluetooth problems. I never had this issue with the old firmware.

I have exactly the same problem too with this TV, since installing the newest firmware in beginning of December 20, I was fetched with lots of Bluetooth problems. I never had this issue with the old firmware.

I got it connected again by double-tapping (the "Pair" button) when the bluetooth pairing-screen flashed by.

That screen bothers me, the way it just flashes by.
Downloaded a third party bluetooth pairing app and then the screen "stays" while during Philips own bluetooth setup it just flashes by.
Its also after that screen the bluetooth pairing fails so it must be related.

Was going to contact Philips support but my experience with them is that they are (sadly) a joke.

Just found out that my earlier successfully registered TV is now orphaned and called "Missing CTN" and their system refuses to validate my earlier good S/N.
Can't register a case or even contact support since my product is now removed and the system refuses to allow me to re-register it.
No other way exists to contact their support without a valid registred product either.

Dimasq

I have used 3rd party apps before, I could just pair the devixe (Bose Qc35 or Dockin Dfine+2),but no sound output to these devices could be done. Sometimes it switches back to TV, sometimes there is no sound at all. Only when I restart the TV by power disconnect, I could pair successfully ONE device and switch even back to TV. Once I disconnect and want to reconnect another device or the same one again - no chance.The old firmware before worked very well without any problems, wondering that there are no more people affected. I will activate Philips Support too.

I have used 3rd party apps before, I could just pair the devixe (Bose Qc35 or Dockin Dfine+2),but no sound output to these devices could be done. Sometimes it switches back to TV, sometimes there is no sound at all. Only when I restart the TV by power disconnect, I could pair successfully ONE device and switch even back to TV. Once I disconnect and want to reconnect another device or the same one again - no chance.The old firmware before worked very well without any problems, wondering that there are no more people affected. I will activate Philips Support too.

I had the exact same behavior as you, the pairing was painless with third-party apps and the TV found the headphones / earbuds but refused to use it as an audio-output even if you selected it as the output.
In my case my earbuds didn't acknowledge that my TV was a valid source, it believed I had only connected them (earbuds) to my phone and not my phone AND my TV.
Using Philips own pairing process works but it is buggy as hell.

I was finally able to re-register my TV today (which earlier was registered and I been able to select to raise cases for).

Yesterday the system refused my S/N.
Today it accepted my S/N.

Now to the next "interesting" finding, even trying to simply registering a ticket is a hassle and project.

So you need to have a product registered in order to raise a case / receive support for it.
Fair enough.

One pic is when you try and select the product you want support for - the only TV here is my newly registered TV (w. redacted S/N) with the exact same S/N as my earlier registered TV, oh and the exiciting "Missing CTN"-product (highlighted in red).
prntscrn_philips_mina_produkter_141220.PNG

One pic is the last step where you need to re-select the product you want support for and THERE IS THE EARLIER REGISTERED TV (highlighted in red).
prntscrn_philips_epost_141220.PNG

But you can't select the TV in the very first step which basically mean you can't create tickets for that product if you don't have any other product registered.

sigh

On-Topic:

Created a ticket for the "Bluetooth Pairing"-screen flashing by, will see what they answer and update.
Also experience as yourself various bluetooth-issues such as;
  • Bluetooth device get disconnected
  • Bluetooth device even gets REMOVED completely from the TV so I need to pair again which is an extremely painful process
In addition to above the TV becomes unresponsive and crashes during these bluetooth adventures.

Last edited:

Dimasq

Many thanks for the support tutorial. I will check that out with Philips. Parallely I will install the last firmware and give you the feedback.

Dimasq

So, I have installed and tested the old Firmware TPM191E _ 101.001.123.003 . After three days of testing, everything seems to be good now. Bluetooth pairing and searching is much much faster and without any problems. I can switch very fast between my devices. For me it is clear, the new FW has a critical bug with negative impacts for the Bluetooth users.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Trinnov Room Optimiser: A full explanation of Trinnov and its room optimiser technology
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom