1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips of Sony LCD?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by LCDseeker, Jul 1, 2005.

1. LCDseeker

LCDseeker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Hi, I'm new to the world of LCD's.

Does anyone own either the Philips 20" PF7846 and the Philips 23" PF8946? If so what are your thoughts? I'm also considering the Sony KLV 23HR23? Which one should I go for?

Cheers

2. mike7

mike7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +488
    The Sony range is being heavily discounted because the new range is due out in mid/late summer in the UK. Had this confirmed by a local dealer, but no idea of prices. There are three smaller sets, 23.26 and 30. Unlike the present range they are all HDTV ready. The Sony trade publicity shows the logo. If you are not looking for HD compatability when the current one was well rated. I like the styling of these sets. The newer ones look a bit bland.

3. LCDseeker

LCDseeker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Hi

Thanks for your quick reply! :thumbsup: I must admit I do prefer Sony products. My CRT in a 36" Sony. What is this HDTV people keep talking about?

Many thanks

4. mike7

mike7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +488
    HDTV - Stands for High definition television. Current number of 'lines' in a UK tv picture is 625 (actually a bit less because they don't use them all for the picture). High definition sets will display 720 or 1080 'lines'. I won't bore you with the technical details. Basically it means a clearer more detailed picture and one that can be displayed more satisfactorily on bigger screens. The High Definition spec also includes digital 5.1 sound. Some parts of the world already have a HD service from broadcasters, USA, Australia, Japan etc. First broadcasts in UK will come from a SKY service, details yet to be known, but it will probably start in 2006. BBC are making a lot of programmes in High Def, but not able to transmit them yet. Belief is that once the current analogue service is shut down in a couple of years the BBC and Commercial services will start to transmit HD broadcasts via an updated Freeview type box. HDTV Ready sets will be able to receive these broadcasts, plus High def DVD systems that are on the way and games boxes. Anything else will be redundant. So effectively if you buy a non HD set now it may be of limited use in, say, 5 years time. I've had CRT sets last much longer than this. As the public become more aware of this especially when SKY makes HD available dealers will have a difficult time shifting older sets. Hence the heavy discounting at the moment.

I agree with you about the quality of Sony. It was announced earlier this week that they are shutting down the CRT factory in Wales as there is no demand for the sets any more.

To correct my earlier post the HD Sony sets are 26" and 32" screens.

5. LCDseeker

LCDseeker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Hi Mike,

Many thanks once again for your reply. :thumbsup: This HDTV is going to come as a shock to most when it finally arrives! :eek:

Cheers