Philips NEW models 42PFL9603/9703 thread *Part 2*

Curly99

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This thread is a continuation of this thread here

Thanks to Moody for starting the original thread

For reference First Post
Philips is going to introduce a bunch of new full-hd 120 hz. models.

Read here the press release of the 7000 series: Philips CES 2008

52PFL7603D.jpg

Philips has announced the 7000 FlatTV™ line at the 2008 Consumer Electronics Show (CES), ranging from 19 to 52 inches (diagonal), and features a rounded edge surrounded by an acrylic edge, which not only gives the set a less rigid look but also enhances the sets technology. The processing, sound, connectivity and design all work in concert to create the ultimate viewing experience.

Leading the series is the Ultimate Dream TV (52PFL7603D), a recipient of the Consumer Electronics Association (CEA) Innovations 2008 Design and Engineering Award.

A New Look

While Philips has long been recognized for its sleek design, this new design collection truly stands out as something different in the marketplace. Philips conducted extensive research with consumers to find out what they really wanted. The response was that consumers feel that most televisions look the same and they miss products that are "outstanding." Consumers share a desire for products with a simpler and more approachable, softer and more sophisticated design.
"The introduction of our premier FlatTV line will strengthen our offerings in the fast-growing, large-screen HDTV market," said Stewart Muller, president of Philips Consumer Electronics, North America. "Starting from the first glance, these sets will stand apart from everything on the market due to their striking design and uniquely curved bezel. Consumers can look forward to an unparalleled viewing experience thanks to the unique combination of exceptional picture quality and design at an attractive price level."

The new design collection delivers on that need with a design that is minimalist, emotional, and recognizable and led by the 7000 series. Consumers will also notice the absence of a speaker grill, which makes the sleek, black bezel continuous around the set for a more minimalist look. The sound is actually powered from the back and carried out throughout the acrylic flare around the set - enveloping consumers in deep, rich sound. The end result is a TV that actually is part of your environment - superior performance packed in a design that is truly like no other.

Deeper Blacks, Sharper Movements
The addition of 120Hz ClearLCD™ technology improves the shadow detail and black levels in dark scenes while greatly diminishing motion artifacts. Philips' 120Hz ClearLCD technology provides razor-sharp moving images with an ultra-fast motion response time of two milliseconds. By doubling the picture refresh rate from the standard 60Hz, these sets deliver swift, streak-free action - elevating image quality and clarity.

Smoother Images
Philips has further refined the LCD with HD Digital Natural Motion™ technology (HD DNM), which eliminates the persistent juddering effects that appear with recorded movie content. Motion Estimation Motion Compensation (MEMC) technology estimates motion in the picture and inserts compensated frames, resulting in a smoother, more natural picture and eye-popping sharpness. By smoothing the shaky visuals typically appearing in film content, this technology creates an unrivaled experience.

More Immersive
Combined with amazing picture performance, Philips' latest generation of LED Ambilight™ technology immerses and engages viewers like no other display. The advanced lighting feature - available on the 7603 series - captures the colors and action on the screen and provides well-balanced light behind the TV set. This leads to more relaxed viewing and eliminates the need for additional ambient lighting while watching television.

Incredible Sound
The new 7000 series features a unique invisible speaker system that delivers a powerful audio experience from a slim TV cabinet. Philips' Invisible Sound System™ integrates wOOx™ subwoofer with two dual-excursion passive radiator drivers to improve low frequency performance while concealing the speakers in a subtle, efficient design.

Clearer Choices
Calibrating picture settings is a breeze with Philips' simple, unique settings assistant feature. In a few easy steps, users can select their on-screen preferences with the left and right cursor buttons. By using a program similar to an eye test, viewers can select what they perceive as the best picture and sound. Choose initial preferences from the five split-screen samples and the television will make the changes and store them for future use.

Greater Connection
Forget compromised picture and sound quality caused by digital-to-analog conversions. The 7000 series offers four HDMI 1.3a inputs with built-in consumer electronics control (CEC) for the cleanest, clearest digital signal. Now users can hook-up as many as four HDMI devices while assured their sets are future-proof for further connectivity.

HD
Recent research by the CEA estimates that approximately 30 percent of households have a TV set capable of displaying images at an HD resolution. The study also suggests that first-time purchasers will lead the charge in buying millions of HDTVs in the coming months. Philips meets this high demand for digital content with televisions designed completely with the end user in mind - simplicity, sophistication and style in a bold, future-proof package.

The 52PFL7603D HDTV will be available in May 2008 for $2,799. The 7000 FlatTV™ line, 7403 and 7603 series, (42"to 52"), ranges from $1699 to $2799.

There will also be a 9xxx series (9603/9703) which will look like this:

42pfl9703vp9.jpg

And the 9903:

42pfl9903eb1.jpg

Specs are not known yet.

Very good looking and interesting models I think :)

Last Post
@Waler74: I would expect that with the BBC:HD channel, which is digitally processed/transmitted data, DNR (dynamic noise reduction) should be *off* for optimum picture quality.

Since there is no noise added during the transmission (the benefit of digital signals), you receive the signal identical to how it was transmitted - how the producer intended it. Nothing can contribute noise to the picture, therefore no need for noise reduction.

If you do turn it on, it will probably have the effect of smoothening the picture - very fine details will be handled as noise - thus removed, producing a smoother picture.

Whether you like a smooth picture is of course a matter of taste: if you like the picture with DNR on, that is your choice. But in my opinion it should be off for HD transmitted signals, on for analog transmitted signals and set to 'high' on bad quality noisy analog transmitted signals...

Peter84 said:
I own a 47PFL9603H since a few months back. Overall I quite like it but I have a couple of problems with it. The first problem is that there seems to be some very slight edge enhancement (or something similar) going on even though I have sharpness at 0 and advanced sharpness turned off. It makes it look like there is some slight colour bleeding, similar to how colours might look if you are using composite or s-video connections almost (this is with a pc connected with hdmi though).
You have some Perfect Pixel HD -picture processing settings on. Try: Dynamic contrast: Off at least.

guess who said:
When streaming through a media server (I'm currently using Tversity), the video is always stretched automaticly without keeping notice of the aspect ratio. This happens whenever he sees black bars. I also don't see any possibility of having it corrected. The malformed image can sometimes be annoying.

After some firmware (I have no idea) the 'Auto format mode' started to only resize the pictrure to full screen or just zoom in. To have the right ratio, the tv channel must send the signal, or you need to select it manually.

Has anyone else experienced this?

I will try the latest firmware 000.094.000.000 soon and will post my findings here.

why tread title is still unchanged to "Philips 2008 models ..."

For your auto format issue: try the setting of auto format in the picture menu. All at the bottom there's auto Fill and Auto Zoom. See if you change the setting to the other if it helps.

Hi my 42PFL9703D/79 crashes from PS3 to TV? I have found the only firmware that works without crashing is a very early firmware 47.008. Currenly running the 94 but about to go back to thr 47.00. Any ideas have to fix this crashing problem so I can install a later firmware feel later firmwares have a better picture....Many thanks.....Terry

http://www.p4c.philips.com/files/4/42pfl9703h_10/42pfl9703h_10_fur_eng.pdf

Q591E_0.94.0.0
• audio issue solved when switching between HDMI sources.
• Optimalisation Audio SPDIF for HTS3367
Q591E_0.93.0.0
• Upgrade Madrid solution.
• Improvement for Riks-TV.
• Improved picture quality via availability of more colors.(color gamut)
Q591E_0.91.0.0
• Solution for the Madrid Broadcast issue.
• Improvement digital channel reception La7 DVB payTV channel Italy.
• DGTVi approved.
Q591E_0.89.0.0
• Improvement of Teletext.(no longer mixed pages or skipped parts)
• Solution for loosen channels overnight in Denmark.
• Reboot of the 42PFL9803D/10 after switching to the HDMI(Philips 1080)
solved.
Q591E_0.83.0.0
• replaces all previous releases, including Q591E_1.58.14.0.
• problems with installation algorithm for DVB-T UK solved.
• audio problems with certain STB devices solved.
Q591E_0.58.14.1
• Improvements for DNLA(decrease time to display thumbnails)
• Improvements DVB-T for France(region with the Belgian boarder)
Q591E_0.58.11.0
• Improvement of the OSD after start-up.
Q591E_0.58.8.0
• Missing of information on TXT pages has been solved.
• Improved settings when identifying the source as a 'PC'.
• Resolving the fact that mouse movements lag behind.
• Solution about disappearing subtitles with DVB-C.
• Sporadically no picture on DVB-C channels with specific CAM's and when
starting up the TV, has been solved.
Q591E_0.58.5.0
• Improvement of the connection via HDMI with Bose system.
• Improvement of stand-by behaviour.
• Improvements for EPG behavior in UK.
• Functionality added for Australia and Finland.
• Improvement scroll behavior remote control.
• supports MPEG4 in Spain.
Q591E_0.25.26.1
• Improved channel reception in Spain.
Q591E_0.25.24.1
• Improved black impression.
Q591E_0.25.21.0
• A 1080p 60Hz type of input signal does no longer show flashes on screen
with this software upgrade.
• The Common Interface functionality is now enabled for the UK with this
software upgrade.
• Possible picture judder with MPEG4 signals is solved with this software
upgrade.
• While the TV relaunches its software during normal use, strange picture
and sound artefacts no longer appear, with this software upgrade.

Thanks MartiniB for the reply you've posted alot of information but it doesn't address my/the problem with the 42 9703D crashing when shifting from PS3 to TV and visa versa? Maybe it my Tv percific with an issue but don't believe so because the very early firmware works to and fro with no problems. By the way my Tv came out with the 55.5 and now using the 47.8 mmmmmmm picture still looks fine I like the convenience of shifting between game consol and TV. Does any body else have this conection/crashing issue?? I will contiue to try new firwares as they become available...........Thanks Terry......:D

You have some Perfect Pixel HD -picture processing settings on. Try: Dynamic contrast: Off at least.

Nope, I have no Perfect Pixel setting or anything else activated according to the menu settings (dynamic contrast being one of the first I switch off because I absolutely hate that "feature"). But the image is definitely still being altered somehow. :thumbsdow I think the problems I have are all related to there being a slight edge enhancement going on.

Last edited:
For your auto format issue: try the setting of auto format in the picture menu. All at the bottom there's auto Fill and Auto Zoom. See if you change the setting to the other if it helps.
Tried. Those are "no go". :( Thanks anyway.

Ok, I have now tested this new 0.94.0.0 firmware for a while and I can say it has far better HDNM control (but I think it was a bit better with the old 0.47.8.0 firmware) also the video has wider color gamut/space. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Thanks for that xtr3m3 also your mirror site its excellent!!
I'll stick to my early firmware at this stage (47.8) as I posted previously no connection issues(HDMI) with the 47.8.
:D:D:D:D:D:D Terry.........

Hello everybody, greetings from Spain I write, I have a 37PFL9603H/10 FILMS this issue and I can appreciate some bands or bands in which the color is degraded, the strips or bands are vertical and failures in some areas, but there are more especially in the vertical movement, the stripes or bands were observed in the same site of the panel, I think the TV does not light evenness of retroilumunación, these bands or bands can be seen more clearly on one side and other side noticeable darker colors because the retroilumunación should not affect the same throughout the panel, which produces these slots in the panel or vertical stripes lighter or darker colors and incorrect.
Someone knows something?
Sorry for my English, thanks.

I'm using the following HomeMediaServer wonderfull thing with transcoding feature) to watch films with DLNA. But I have a problem - scaling doesn't work on my TV correctly when watching films by DLNA an from USB. It seems to be distorted(wider in center and thiner at left and right borders). Do you have the same? If smb wrote to Philips support?

Last edited:
Are there anyone here? :) Can you confirm distortion(different width of squares in center and bottoms) on this

Last edited:
I had a closer look at videos played via DLNA and I have noticed the same problem. The videos definitely suffer from barrel distortion. I used different software (UShare in my case) so it is unlikely that the problem is at the PC end. My guess is that there is problem in the way the TV scales lower resolution images.

I haven't had a chance to have a close look at pictures and video displayed from USB.

New firmware .97 can now be downloaded, no change-log-info yet (as usual). Have to test that during weekend...

Ran mine for a few hours tonight on .097 FW.
Had no such issues.
There seems to be better motion on HDNM on .97.
I think there are more changes to the Colour Gamut again this time round.
Seems more vibrant.
52PFL9703 here.
More to come, hope we get a changelog.

.97 seems to work fine.
I also like the current HDNM and Colorspace (all my connections are via HDMI) on my 47PFL9703H/10.

Last edited:
I am having a slight issue with my 47PFL9703. When I attach my PC to the tv via HDMI, the picture does not fill up the entire screen, regardless of what 'picture format' I select. There are always black bars around the picture. I have tried different output resolutions from the PC but all result in black bars.

I do not have this issue with the digital TV HDMI input or the SCART DVD input.

With the other two inputs, I am able to choose auto format as a picture format, with the PC input this is greyed out.

I have updated to the latest firmware but this did not help.

Has anyone come across this issue? I am SURE that when I first got the TV it was filling up the PC input full screen on the TV. Thanks in advance.

I am having a slight issue with my 47PFL9703. When I attach my PC to the tv via HDMI, the picture does not fill up the entire screen, regardless of what 'picture format' I select. There are always black bars around the picture. I have tried different output resolutions from the PC but all result in black bars.

I do not have this issue with the digital TV HDMI input or the SCART DVD input.

With the other two inputs, I am able to choose auto format as a picture format, with the PC input this is greyed out.

I have updated to the latest firmware but this did not help.

Has anyone come across this issue? I am SURE that when I first got the TV it was filling up the PC input full screen on the TV. Thanks in advance.

Did you check all your graphics card control panel options, i had the same problem, and it seemed that by default the driver was configured to underscan. AMD785 IGP here

that problem comes from begining,
AutoZoom option doesnt work for any 16:9 signal
:(

but for PC digital signal ill beter suggest Unscaled mode

thanks for the replies, i managed to fix the problem by adjusting the resolution through the nvidia control panel settings. i was using a sony vaio resolution tool sitting in the taskbar which was causing the black bars.

Going to update my TV with this firmware tonight.

Quick question (from reading the thread about the new TVs - 9704 etc) regarding optimum picture settings. Someone said you will only get a fantastic "3D like quality" picture after properly calibrating the set. How do I do this? Someone mentioned a THX DVD. Can you buy these?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom