Philips new dvd recorder UK vs Usa

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by ianmidz, May 8, 2003.

1. ianmidz

ianmidz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It may seem a silly question but why does the Uk version lose Progressive scan? I wanted recorder that could be used on my tosh tv but looking at the details it seems that this will not be the case. Is it worth getting a US version and getting a componant to rgb converster for recording from my digibox ? Will the tuner still work or be ntsc only.

2. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    US version records and plays in NTSC only apparently. UK models will do both as far as I know.

Manufacturers are still coy about Pal Prog scan as the standards have not been "Officially" finalised (This is what I read in a recent what TV / DVD edition on DVD recorders).

Its not an a problem for me as my plasma screen deinterlaces everything anyway. No reall need or point to use a Prog scan player with Plasma screens unless it is an "Amazing" player.

Also do a few searches on Philips DVD recorderers on this forum. I did and you are unlikely to buy one when you see what most people have to say. Put me right off them anyway.

3. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +461
    PAL Progressive has been "finallised" for many months ... the DV88+ was launched just after the standard was finalised.

Having said that ... most companies products have a lead time measured beyond 6months. Often the product currently beeing developed isn't just the next years model, but the years after too.

Thats why companies who base their products on other manufacturers products are a generation old (i.e. DVD players like RT10 are based on the Pioneer 747 not the 757).

Vikki