Philips Munroe LC6131

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by infomatique, Dec 3, 2001.

1. infomatique

infomatique

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am interested in purchasing the Philips Monroe LC6131 and would appreciate any comments ... what are the advantages and disadvantages of this particular model?

2. jrwood

jrwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  3. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Key features are:

Long lamp life with virtually constant brightness throughout. Economy without resorting to low power mode.

More than just 16:9 compatible. Monroe is designed to work perfectly with both 4:3 and 16:9 projection screens thanks to the multiple aspect ratio feature.

Very quiet - just 32dB fan noise.

Accepts either RGBs or Component through the 15pin D socket.

Progressive scan compatible (480p/720p).

Adjustable colour balance and Gamma.

Simple to set-up and use.

Three year warranty: 12 months on-site loan/replacement, followed by 2 yrs return to base.

3 month lamp warranty. FOC replacement.

I'm going to be away from my office for the next few days. Post any further questions here, and I'll get back to them by Thursday.

Regards

4. MaJong

MaJong

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Informatique - How was the demo in the other thread?

Chris - Is it possible to see one in a UK dealer (I'm near Bristol) and what is the RRP?

Thanks and Regards..

5. infomatique

infomatique

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The location was subject to a lot of traffic noise so I could not make any judgement regarding fan noise. Unfortunately the salesman did not have a clue the only thing that he could tell me was that it had a bulb life of 6000 (a very attractive feature).

I was impressed by picture quality and could not detect any "chicken wire" problems. Unless some one shows me something better I will buy this machine (not in Dublin as the price is far too high) but I will delay the purchase until the end of January.

6. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    MaJong,
    This product is just starting to be rolled out in the UK, so its not with the dealers yet.

W2FM will be one of the first UK dealers to take on the product. They are in Finchampsted, Nr Wokingham.

The retail pice inc VAT is £2899.00. This includes a three year warranty (12 months on-site loan replacement, followed by 2 yrs return to base) and a 3 month lamp warranty.

Regards

7. MaJong

MaJong

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Chris,

Considering it (also MT3 and Piano) - Slightly confused about how it differs from the Data model for the price hike?

It doesn't suggest any more advanced processing in spec sheets etc.

Have you seen it in action? (I used to own a Fellini which packed up after a month or so and would be interested in any comparisons you could draw).

Is £2800 the MSRP or street?

Thanks..

8. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Majong,
    £2899 is the MSRP, the street price may differ;)

You are quite right about the spec sheets, it doesn't mention the advanced video processing, they also omit several other important features: constant lamp brightness, multiple aspect ratios etc. However, these features are present and will be emphasised to dealers during the product rollout.

The video processing is different. I am told we use a different colour decoder chip in the Monroe to the presentation models. This produces more accurate colour rendition with video images, whereas the cSmart (presentation projector, also a 6000hrs lamp)is tuned to give a more punchy picture for use in a brightly lit office or class room.

Having seen the two side by side, I can definately confirm that Monroe produces the best image quality from a video source and is the better choice for Home Cinema use. Of course, if you simply want a long lamp life projector for non-critical viewing in a games room or other brightly lit area, then the cSmart would probably be the best choice.

I haven't used a Fellini, it was from before my time with Philips, so I can't draw a direct comparison. However, digital video processing technology in general has improved, which means cleaner, clearer pictures. Whilst the development of advanced scaling chips such as the Pixelworks(TM) chip used in the Monroe now give you the flexibility to choose either conventional 4:3 screen or enjoy a more cinematic experience with a 16:9 screen and have the projector behave as if it is a native 16:9 device such as the Sony VW10/11.

I hope this helps.

Regards

9. infomatique

infomatique

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you get the chance to compare these with thr Monroe please let me know as I would be willing to consider either (especially the Piano) as an alternative.

10. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    For those interested, I've just tested the Munroe with an iScan Pro. Here are the results...

De-interlaced NTSC via the Component input - WORKS

De-interlaced NTSC via the RGB input - WORKS

The big question of course is "Will the Monroe support Pal Progressive?"

The answer is yes.

Set your iScan to output RGB and it works!

Regards

11. ian_guinan

ian_guinan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Ahhhhh...it works, but does it look any good?
    (I guess you couldn't tell us if it looked awful...just keep a respectful silence).
    Regards,
    Ian Guinan

12. infomatique

infomatique

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This was one of the final questions that I had to consider before making up my mind about this piece of equipment. Thanks for posting this information.

13. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Ian,
    You needn't worry. The quality is very good.:)

Regards

14. infomatique

infomatique

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Based on what you published here I went ahead and purchased the Monroe I-Scan combination. I must admit that I saved about Euro 2000 importing from Germany rather than buying in Dublin (Ireland).

Anyway, I am delighted with the results.

I now have:
    Philips D-VHS VCR (Excellent)
    Philips DVDR1000
    Philips Monroe
    Which is interesting considering that my policy until recently was to avoid Philips equipment.

15. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can the Monroe be ceiling mounted?
    Best regards
    LittleT2

16. infomatique

infomatique

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes it can. The ceiling mount can be difficult to get but it is available mail order from www.computeruniverse.net

17. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How are u finding the Monroe now you have had it up and running for a while Infomatique ?
    Are u using it with the IScan Pro, and i assume the component in on the Monroe?
    Best regards
    LittleT2

18. Nick Odgers

Nick Odgers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    I got my Monroe from Provectavision at Bude for £2200, next day delivery. Let me know if you want phone number, they are on web on What Video hardware retailer section.

19. infomatique

infomatique

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    To be honest ... I am delighted with it. So much so that I decided to upgrade my complete system.

Despite an earlier message it works very well with the I-SCAN PRO. Obtaining good interconnectors made a very big difference.

I obtained the interconnectors from Australia http://www.htcustomcables.com/default.asp

I purchased the Monroe from www.computeruniverse.net for Euro 2793 including VAT and delivery to Dublin, Ireland ( UK £1759.59) ... local dealers were asking Euro 5000. This is about the best price that I could find but if you are not keen about importing you can try Provectavision mentioned elsewhere.

20. infomatique

infomatique

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The interconnection between the two devices is VGA and as mentioned in my previous message it is worth paying for a high quality cable.

21. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    May i ask what sort of distance you are using it from the screen..and what size picture are you getting?
    best regards
    LittleT2

22. infomatique

infomatique

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Distance from wall to wall is 3.5m (I am projecting across the width of the room ... I live in a fairly small apartment)
    16:9 I am getting a diagonal of 72 inches and a width 63.9 and a height of 35.4
    4:3 I am getting a diagonal of about 78 inches, a width of 63 and a height of 47 inches.

23. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Informatique, sorry about all the questions, but i do like the sound of this projector :)
    Do you think it would benefit from a grey screen a la GreyHawk?, or are the black pretty good on there own.
    It also seems a lot brighter than a lot of the home cinema projectors around at the moment.......

24. infomatique

infomatique

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes it is very bright ... in fact, I can view the image without having to darken the room.

Initially I projected on to an ordinary wall without a screen and the result was much better than I had expected. I then got a low cost white screen and this was better, unfortunately I cannot comment on the advantage of a grey screen but ther is no doubt that the blacks could do with some improvement.

25. LJT

LJT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was interested in this projector having been a Philips hopper sv10 owner. I was slightly put off by the lack of sealed optics (Chris Frost did respond to an earlier post of mine on this issue)
    Another factor was the name Yuck!!. I mean how far can you take this naming projectors after hollywood actors.
    With the unrealibity of say the AE100 should we name it "Its gone for a Richard Burton".
    Or if its easily chipable how about the 'Gene Hackman'.
    Again back to the AE100 which if you're lucky last 24 hours. Rename it the 'Doris Day'.
    Or how about a really duff product, called the 'Brad Pitts'.
    More seriously. The Monroe boast 6000hrs lamp life, yet fails to underwrite claim by only offering three months lamp cover.
    Just one last word on my iScan Pro. It did a fantastic job on de scaling my Philips Kettle.

26. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Yes, the Monroe can be ceiling mounted.

Philips make a telescopic ceiling bracket for it. The part code is LCA2210. List price £210 inc VAT. Check with any Philips projector dealer for a street price.

Regards