1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips Monroe

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by einpagu, Oct 11, 2001.

1. einpagu

einpagu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there!

Is there anyone who knows if the Philips Monroe projector can receive 576 progressiv?
    All specifications says "HDTV video input (480p, 720p 1080i)".

Is it compatible with DVDO iScan Pro? The specification says 15-108kHz horizontal scan rate, which should be enough (iScan Pro claims 31,5kHz).

Have a nice day! :)

Best Regards,

Per-Anders.

[ 11-10-2001: Message edited by: PEGE ]

2. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    The Monroe projector is very new to the UK market.

I'll have more news over the next few weeks as I have the opportunity to field test it with de-interlacers, scalers and progressive scan DVD players.

For those interested, Monroe is Philips new home cinema projector. 6000hr lamp life with virtually constant brightness, SVGA resolution, 1000 ANSI.

The Pixelworks scaling chip gives multiple aspect ratios including 4:3 window inside your 16:9 screen.

The full specification is available from the philips web site http://www.pcstuff.philips.com follow the links from Multimedia Projectors, then select Home Cinema and All Features in the two drop down boxes.

Regards

3. einpagu

einpagu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Chris!

Then I will wait for your report... :)

I have just received a specification from the swedish Philips distributor and it said the following:

Horizontal scan rate: 50 - 108kHz
    Vertical refresh rate: 50 - 120Hz

Now I have seen three different PDF technical specifications from Philips?!?
    I also have seen specifications saying:

Horizontal scan rate: 15 - 108kHz
    Vertical refresh rate: 15 - 120Hz

and

Horizontal scan rate: 15 - 108kHz
    Vertical refresh rate: 50 - 120Hz

(Philips cSmart has the same specification.
    Philips cSmart = Should be a Philips Monroe but with mouse control and extern monitor out.)

Maybe you could confirm which one is the correct one?!?
    Alla are original Philips specifications that I have downloaded from different Philips or distributor sites...

If the horizontal scan rate is 50 - 108kHz, then this projector is NOT compatible with the DVDO iScan Pro which is very sad. :(

Best Regards,
    Per-Anders.

[ 13-10-2001: Message edited by: PEGE ]

4. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Chris,
    Is the new Monroe a rebadged plus or whatever?
    What unique features does it have?..Does it have any type of scaling-a la drc?
    (I tried the web site,and when you click on more info-it just says loading,but never loads!).
    Whilst on the subject of Philips projectors,whats the video quality on the Ugo x-lite?(How does it compare with the Nec lt-150?).
    Many Thanks,
    Doug.

5. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Chris...Chris...are you there?..earth to Chris?
    Desperate for an answer,
    Dear old Doug..

6. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    Per-Anders,
    There has been some confusion regarding specifications, however I received a Philips internal memo that confirms the scan frequencies for the Monroe are:

Horizontal scan rate: 15 - 108 kHz
    Vertical refresh rate: 50 - 120 Hz
    Bandwidth: 140 MHz

The cSmart projector uses the same lamp technology as Monroe (6000 hr, near constant brightness) but is designed for business presentations. It lacks the HDTV compatibility (480p/720p/1080i) which makes it less suitable for use with progressive scan sources.

I am also working to confirm if there are any differences in the video processing boards between Monroe and cSmart.

Hope this helps.

Regards

7. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Chris,
    what do you mean THOUGHT i was a construction worker who is really a martian superspy?.I am..you mean it aint real?..now your scaring me..
    Anyway thanks for the info..
    P.S,whats the contrast ratio?
    Rgds,
    Doug

8. einpagu

einpagu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Chris! That was good news...

Maybe you could confirm/reject if the Philips Monroe supports also 576p?

Regards, Per-Anders.

9. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    Doug,
    The contrast on the Monroe is 350:1, and it produces a similar black level to the Sony VPL-VW10.

Regards

10. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    Doug, sorry for the delay, got caught up in an alternate reality - thought I was a construction worker with fantasies of a life as a Martian super spy. Back to reality now though (I think ;) )

The Monroe projector is a unique Philips design, it is neither cloned or a clone of any other design. Its unique features are:
    1- Low running costs thanks to a long lamp life of 6000 hours
    2- The new Philips UHP lamp delivers almost constant lamp brightness during its life
    3- Multiple aspect ratios on both the video and PC inputs, thanks to the Pixelworks scaling engine.

The Monroe has a whisper quiet fan system (32dB), adjustable Gamma and RGB Colour levels. Manual zoom & focus lens. Digital keystone correction and Digital Zoom. There are inputs for composite and S-Video. The 15pin D connector can accept a PC input or RGBs or Component video.

Doug, for a link to the spec on the Philips web site, simply follow these instructions:

Go to http://www.pcstuff.philips.com
    Choose Multimedia Projectors from the left hand banner
    In drop down box 1 (Select subcategory), choose Home Cinema
    In drop down box 2 (Select feature), choose All features

The Ugo X-lite and NEC LT150 are based on the same DLP light engine and a similar chassis. Their video performance will be very close. The NEC is normally a couple of hundred pounds more expensive because it has a PC Memory Card feature for presentations without a computer.

Neither unit was designed specifically a Home Cinema projector, but given a HCPC feed both projectors can produce remarkably good results.

Regards