Philips Monroe dust blob

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Nick Odgers, Apr 29, 2004.

1. Nick Odgers

Nick Odgers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    My 2 year old projector has started showing a green dust blob. it is still under warranty so will send it away, but would like to know how to do it myself. has anyone else got this projector and tried to remove dust themselves? There seems to be plenty of help for other projectors on these forums but not this one.

2. Nick Odgers

Nick Odgers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    I decided to take the plunge and clean it myself after all. Quite easy to get into projector and a quick spray from airduster has got rid of the blob. If you follow instructions in other threads as to where to direct spray you can`t really go wrong.

3. astyle

astyle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi!
    I removed the plunge i tihnk and tried some spraying but dont now quite were to spray.
    I have looked on the other threads but there are not the same as the monroe.
    Do you need to remove more parts?
    How did you do it

4. Nick Odgers

Nick Odgers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    I have got a Themescene H30A now, but can remember what you have to do. At the back there is a metallic looking part with screws, remove them and the part should come off. Now gently pull the top yellow cover off so you can see into projector. On the left (with the projector facing away from you) there is a square section where the LCD panels are. Hold projector vertical so air can is also vertical and give a good spray all around and into this section.

5. LTJ

LTJ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nick isn't the H30A a one chip DLP?
    I'm still using my trusty old Panny100ate an LCD PJ Believe me I've had this thing apart hundreds of time. Those that may have read my earlier post -several years ago- will know I've been obsessed with the issue of dust and grime being drawn into the pj. With cleaning a PJ(LCD) I've always believed it takes more than a simple airdust blow job. This is due to the simple fact atmospheric will intrude and ingress upon every surface let alone a device that sucks the stuff in albeit via a fan. So to truly clean PJ you have to clean all the surfaces that light has to pass and bend through. The panny for example just for red alone the light leaves the lamp travels through two lenses called PSBs a lens, a colour splitter a mirror, a lens, polariser the LCD(red) panel, a polariser the prism and then comes the actual lens array where yet another collection of glass/plastic surfaces have to be passed. So as you see just the Red path alone represents at least 13 or 26 surfaces that light has to journey through without being bounced or scattered sideways by dust particles that always will adhere(not just lay gently) to the surfaces.
    Even though with extra filtering on my machine you still after several months use start to accumulate this stuff on the surfaces and a air duster will not remove it. As I've said before ; try cleaning a window with an air-duster.

So for me this has always been a disadvantage over say a CRT PJ or crt screen. Now with the advent, rapid develpment and longevity of 42 inch and aboveLCDscreens maybe thats the future.

As for cleaning the DLP chip I really wouldn't fancy that with all those delicate microscopic mirrors. I realise many manafacturers are now boasting sealed optics -to a degree- but I'm not too convinced. Over on AVS a couple of years ago was a massive thread on just cleaning the colour wheel on a NEC DLP let alone the rest unless the sealed optics work?
    Curiously I've yet to see a LCD PJ offer some sort of sealed optical arrangemnt?
    It's not all doom & gloom from me though. Since moving to using a PC as the signal processing input PQ has been so much better that the PQ seems to stay on song much longer.

LTJ

6. astyle

astyle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi!

I did do a little bit of spraying here but nothing happenen.
    I accidenlty got alot of fluid it seems so i stopped.
    How do you give it a good spray without getting fluid out on the panels and were are the three panels exactly.
    Are you supposed to stick it all in and spray or what.
    Can't you damage the panel?

7. LTJ

LTJ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, the fluid is the liquid gas that propels the air out of the duster. Only fire the air duster when it's in an upright position(always sqirt/squeeze before applying to any of the lenses as fluid/liquid gas will land on lenses. trouble is for all my pontification cleaning the lenses is a potential nightmare!

8. Nick Odgers

Nick Odgers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    I used to spray into the square bit and it always seemed to clear any dust blobs, it is a case of experimenting I think.

9. Nick Odgers

Nick Odgers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    I am hoping I won`t have to clean the H30A as it is a DLP design, the picture is a lot better than the Monroe, the blacks are really black and the image is clearer. Technology moves on I suppose!

10. calibos

calibos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Just cleaned my Ae300 today, Its really easy....honest!! :D

[​IMG]