Philips Monroe- Does anyone have one yet

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by DRC, Jan 14, 2002.

1. DRC

DRC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Has anyone got a Philips Monroe yet, before xmas there was a number of threads but I have not seen anything since.

A number of mags seem to give it good reviews.

I would like to know as I am thinking of ordering one in the coming days

2. dasithlord

dasithlord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just ordered one from Germany, to my surprise it cost only 2700 EUR there...

I've seen it in action a month ago here in Belgium, and i was really impressed with the picture quality !!!
    I've seen TV, video and DVD and even the quality of normal TV broadcast (cable) was really outstanding !

And the DVD player was only connected using compsite, so s-video and rgb inputs can only be even better :))

Given the 6000h lamp life, and the pal/ntsc progressive scan capable VGA input, this is really a nice projector.

I'll post a review here as soon as i was able to test it completely.

Greetings,

Nicolas
    Ps: you can order it here: www.grossbild.de if you want it immediately...

3. magnust

magnust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've had one for about two months and I'm very happy with it.

Before buying I compared it with the Sony HS1, Sanyo PLV-30 and the Liesgang dv 245. These are projectors in about the same price-range and i found the Monroe to be the best of them.

The biggest issue I had with the other models were screen-door effect of which the Monroe suffers significantly less from. Philips has managed to make their pixels have a very high fill-factor which makes less of the "grid" visible. Other plusses for me are: very accurate colors, ceiling mountable and 6000 hrs lamp life. The noise level at 32 dB is quite acceptable, although I wish it was a bit quieter.

The only caveats is that some of them make an annoying high-pitched noise in stand-by mode, and to a lesser extent when the lamp has warmed up. The seller told me that this is a fault with the lamp and that Philips should fix the problem as a warranty issue. I got one that had this problem and got the entire unit replaced.

The other caveat is that the component input requires a composite sync, i.e. it's not enough to connect the y/pb/cr; one also needs to connect it to the composite out of the DVD. Philips will change this in the next revision, but couldn't/wouldn't tell me when that might happen. The downside is that it currently needs four cables instead of three (or a vga-> 5 bnc cable).

All in all I'm very happy with it.

In Regards,
    Magnus

4. infomatique

infomatique

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I received my Philips Monroe yeaterday. I purchased in in Germany from ComputerUniverse.Net and saved about Euro 2000 (relative to what I was quoted in Dublin). I also purchased the I-SCAN PRO from another source in Germany.

I must admit that I am very impressed by the Monroe (with or without the I-SCAN) and would recommend it.