Philips LX700 users?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by Guy Lerner, Jan 13, 2004.

1. Guy Lerner

Guy Lerner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

This is my first post to this forum, so hoping for the best. I'm looking to buy a new 5.1 digital surround system. I already have a DVD player, so just looking for a 5.1 receiver/speaker package.

I've narrowed my choice down to the Philips LX700. Has anyone out there used/currently own this system? If so, can you share your opinion of it here.

There is hardly any user feedback or reviews on this product on the Internet - I've been searching for days!!

Thanks in advance,

Guy

2. Guy Lerner

Guy Lerner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone? :confused:

3. ellingtj

ellingtj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the MX5800sa which is further up the range. When I first got it it seemed great but since I have received my new TV there appears to be a lot of noise on the signal. I'm not hugely impressed by this - I have a few ideas to see if I can sort it out. Also it doesn't have the most robust software and appears to get easily confused. Personally I would stay away from Philips - their products just don't seem to be tested enough.

4. Guy Lerner

Guy Lerner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the note.

Unike the 5800SA, the LX700 doesn't have a built-in DVD/SACD player. It's just the receiver (with SACD inputs) and 50W RMS/channel 5.1. I have a decent Samsung DVD player to connect to it. I don't like the all-in-one DVD/receiver systems because they can suffer from the very symptoms you're describing. If you're unhappy with either part of the system (DVD or audio) you're basically stuck with it.

With the LX700, if I ever want to upgrade my DVD player, I can do so separately to the audio system.

Anyone using the LX700 for the same reasons?

Rgds,
    gL

5. ellingtj

ellingtj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah sorry about that Guy - I looked at the Philips website after I posted and noticed it was the surrong set-up. I listened to this unit in Dixons a while back and I found the sound lacked integration between the drivers - the sound was all sub-bass, middle mid range and very high treble. Personally I would take a trip to Richer sounds - why didn't I? The missus wouldn't understand all those big 'ugly' boxes. Myself - I swear by seperates.

6. ellingtj

ellingtj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah sorry about that Guy - I looked at the Philips website after I posted and noticed it was the surrong set-up. I listened to this unit in Dixons a while back and I found the sound lacked integration between the drivers - the sound was all sub-bass, middle mid range and very high treble. Personally I would take a trip to Richer sounds - why didn't I? The missus wouldn't understand all those big 'ugly' boxes. Myself - I swear by seperates.

7. ellingtj

ellingtj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

8. badgersweet

badgersweet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is also my first post.

I have had the LX700 for 10 months now and I am very pleased with the sound.

Yesterday I purchased a Marantz DV4300 and replaced the Phillips DVD player that came with my system.

The sound is even better.

The main thing I find with this is it is easy to setup and also it has an optical and coaxial input.

This means that I can run Sky+ through the optical input for 5.1 and use the coaxial input for DVD 5.1 DTS etc.

It also has Dolby Prologic II for those old films that are not 5.1 or DTS.

Any further info required please post another message.

9. Guy Lerner

Guy Lerner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info, that's great.

Can you tell me how easy it is to set up the speakers around the room? They're not the conventional box-type speakers, so how have you got them mounted?

Thanks again,
    gL

10. badgersweet

badgersweet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The fronts are on stands about 4 inches either side of TV. Centre is on top of TV. The rears are at ear height when sitting either side of room level with listener. Sub is by side of TV. This gives me the best surround.

11. Guy Lerner

Guy Lerner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What sort of stands did you find for the speakers (since they're not the normal "box" shape)? Do the speakers just sit on top of the stands (with the mini-stands that come with the LX700) or do the stands hold the speakers via the screw on the back of each speaker?

Lastly, do you have the center and front speakers at the same height, and is the centre in line or in front/behind the L+R speakers?

Do the rears face each other, or face forward into the room?

Thanks again for all the info!

Regards,
    gL

12. badgersweet

badgersweet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The stands are normal surrond sound stands and are attached with screws which came with the speakers. I purchased them seperately from Argos.

The centre is about 20 cms above the front speakers. The best sound from the fronts is obtained by setting them at 90 cms to the top of the speakers from the floor and facing straight forward.

The centre and the fronts are in line with the TV screen.

I did originally sit the fronts on bigger speaker stands and sat them on top using the small stands suppplied. This did not add to the look of the room and they looked awkward. That is the only reason for the change to surround sound speaker stands.

The rears face one another either side of the room so that the two of us can get the full 5.1 sound experience. The hot spot seems bigger and means that both listeners get a balanced surround sound.

Hope this helps again.

All the best

Badger

13. Guy Lerner

Guy Lerner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Badger. Much appreciated.

I'm putting the system together this weekend and will post my experiences to this forum for anyone else who'd like to know.

Regards,
    gL

14. badgersweet

badgersweet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You're welcome.

I hope you enjoy it.

All the best

Badger

15. mralien

mralien

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello all, nice forums here

so ... i have a little offtopic quetion
    Does Anyone knows analog of the Philips LX700 from Sony? Because all i've seen were with dvds... Just Informative

Thank you!

16. Guy Lerner

Guy Lerner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

Please can you clarify -- I don't quite understand your question?

Thanks,
    gL

:confused:

17. badgersweet

badgersweet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry but could you please repeat the question.

18. Guy Lerner

Guy Lerner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Badger, gL here again :)

Got another question on the LX700 for you...I've set it up but haven't had much time to test it yet.

What are your thoughts on how the system handles music?

From basic testing the sound for good-quality DVD movies is superb, but I haven't really tested the music output. Does this depend much on the source player (i.e. will a CD sound better through the system played off a connected CD player as opposed to my DVD player)?

How do you reckon the LX700 interprets a stereo CD source into Dolby ProLogic II (quality-wise)?

I have run a very quick "stress-test" of the headphone jack, using my trusty AKG headphones and Roger Waters' Radio K.A.O.S cd (track 7) which really emphasises the bass. My dedicated CD player plays it out to the headphones beautifully, but when I play it off the LX700's headphone jack, it distorts quite badly at key moments. It's probably an unfair test because music listening by stereo headphones is not really what the system was designed for, but it's an anomaly nonetheless. To be fair, I haven't tried to play that track using the external speakers, and I'm sure when I do, the sub will have a ball with the bass!

More thoughts and a full review soon. Look forward to your feedback.

Regards,
    gL

19. badgersweet

badgersweet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry Guy

I do not use it for music.

I am still in the old school using my Marantz set up. I prefer stereo for my music.

I hope that you enjoy the LX700 for DVDs etc.

Let me know the outcome.

All the best Badger

20. 206GTiLAD

206GTiLAD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi badgersweet... was searching the web and noticed yr thread re the Philips LX700. Can you answer a quickie for me? When the LX700 is receiving a signal in Dolby Digital 5.1, does your display show " Dolby 3/21 " ?? I looked at this and thought it mean it was only receiving 3 channels of audio, should it not say 6/51 or am I being totally stupid here?! Also when you are watching an old movie on DVD thats only in mono say but the track is encoded in Dolby Digital, the display only shows a pro-logic signal.... For instance, Friday the 13th part 2 on DVD is Dolby Digital mono only, however it only shows pro-logic on the LX700...
    Wondered if there was a bug or something!!
    Hope you can clear up for me.. cheers! Garry

21. Guy Lerner

Guy Lerner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Garry

Don't mean to steal Badger's thunder here but I saw your question and thought I'd give you a quick answer.

Dolby 3/2.1 is the same (and some say more accurate display) of Dolby 5.1. When you see 3/2.1 on the LX700 display it means it's decoding a source with (3) front channels (Front Left, Centre, Front Right), (2) surround channels (Surround Left, Surround Right) and (1) LFE channel (subwoofer).

That's why when you see 2/0.0 on the display, it means you're feeding the receiver a 2.0 (or stereo) source. In many cases when I play a stereo source, the LX700 uses the subwoofer too, which is great.

Another example is a Dolby 5.0 source (no LFE). The display will show 3/2.0.

If ever in doubt, look over on the left display (the level indicators for the six channels). When you're in Dolby 5.1 (3/2.1) mode all six channels should be lit up. In stereo mode, only the Left, Right and Sub channels should be on.

If you use Pro Logic or PLII to play a stereo source, all 6 channels will be lit as well.

I hope this makes sense. I was also unnerved when I first saw 3/2.1 on the display, but reading up on the Net I discovered it was actually an alternative annotation of 5.1. Seems to be specific to Dolby too, because when I use a DTS source the LX700 only shows DTS, and not the number of channels.

HTH.

Best,
    gL

22. 206GTiLAD

206GTiLAD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that.... that has cleared up the confusion somewhat. Althought just one thing left that niggles me.... i don't know if you have Sky+ or not, but when you are watching any of the 1st three Sky Movie channels, ie Sky Movies 1,2 or 3 and the movie is not in 5.1 the display shows Dolby 2/00 so I assume this means its receiving a normal stereo source? However if you change to any other channel, ie Sky Movies 4-9 or any other channel ie BBC, ITV, etc the display just shows the input source name ie in my case "DISC DI"... however lots of movies are shown in Dolby Surround on Sky Movies 4-9 so shouldnt the display show Dolby 2/00 aswell? :confused:

The same goes for a DVD that is say encoded with a mono or normal surround track (ie not 5.1). If I hook up the DVD to my TV which has a Dolby Digital decoder inside then I would get a display saying "Doly Digital 2/0" <<< MOST IMPORTANTLY it says DOLY DIGITAL... however the LX700 shows any other source other than 5.1 as Pro Logic ONLY... ie the Dolby Digital light doesnt light. But quite often you'll get DVD's that are Dolby Digital but only mono or surround but have still been encoded with Dolby Digital - does this make sense or what?!

Forgive me if i'm not making sense but these little things do niggle and I need to sort out!

23. Guy Lerner

Guy Lerner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I stand to be corrected, but only Dolby Digital sources will activate the x/x.x display on the LX700. So 2/0.0 is a *Dolby Digital* stereo source, and 3/2.1 is a *Dolby Digital* 5.1 source.

If the LX700 is not displaying the x/x.x format, it means the source is NOT Dolby Digital. It will sow DTS for DTS, for example, and give you the option of ProLogic or DPLII (movie or music) for a mono or stereo source.

What confuses many people (myself included) is the assumption that Dolby Digital = Dolby Surround. It just means the source is Dolby Digital, whether it's 2/0/0, 2/2.0, 2/0.1, 3/2.1 or whatever.

HTH,
    gL

24. Guy Lerner

Guy Lerner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    One more thing...

I live in Sydney, Australia, so I don't have Sky+ :)

gL

25. James007

James007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi, i have a question.

what kind of inputs are there on this unit? and how many of them are there?

because i have £250 to spend, and im looking to something that i can connect my TV, DVD player, Xbox and PS2 to.

26. Guy Lerner

Guy Lerner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In answer to your question:

The LX700 has the following inputs:

> 2 x analogue stereo (TV and AUX)
    > full 6-channel analogue audio (for SACD connectivity - front left/right, centre, surround left/right, sub)
    > 1 x coax digital input
    > 1 x optical digital input

It also has one analogue stereo and one optical digital out.

In other words, you'll be able to connect your TV (analogue), X-Box/PS2 (analogue or digital), DVD player (analogue or digital) and/or SACD player (6-channel analogue).

Oh yes, and it also has an output for an active subwoofer, just in case the passive sub leaves any walls standing :D

I'll be posting a review of the LX700 on this forum shortly.

HTH,
    gL

27. Ian Curtis

Ian Curtis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello!

I just bought a LX700 here in Sweden and the system works great. I have a few thoughts, though. When I listen on satellite radio or tv in Dolby Digital via an optical cable, I find there are sometimes drop-outs in the sound. Also I am not pleased that it not seems possible to change between optical (satellite on mine) an coaxial (dvd) via the remote control. It has to be done on the reciever, or? I also wonder what system version you owners of LX700 have? You'll find the system version by pressing the Bass button on the receiver. The system version on my system is 0825 1.

Best regards,
    Jan

28. iamthenewno2

iamthenewno2
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Has anyone got their speakers on stands ? If so could you post the details of what you use and where they came from, many thanks.

29. Guy Lerner

Guy Lerner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

Yes, I've got all 4 surrounds on stands. The stands are made by Sonken (I belive in China), which I bought here in Sydney (Australia).

They look similar to the modern silver Sony stands, but can extend higher (up to 1.2 m) and have enough space to easily fit the 4 LX700 surround speakers vertically. I have my rear stands set at 1.2m and my fromt stands at about 60 cm. My centre speaker sits under the TV on the TV unit.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
    gL

30. duncan1980

duncan1980
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does any one recommended the Philips LX 700 or are there other better products on the market. I'm thinking of buying one to use for CDs and DVDs. How much did you pay for yours? They are retailing for about £169 in comet.