Philips LCD VERY slow firmware updates

Discussion in 'Philips TVs Forum' started by darkan9el, Jan 10, 2008.

Tags:
  1. darkan9el

darkan9el

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi all, I have a friend who has a Philips (26PF5520D/10) LCD TV. The TV is fine, but it can take a day or at least several hours to update the Software. This cripples the TV and renders it totally useless. I can't seem to find a way to turn this off either.

any help and advice would be helpful.

regards Lee

2. darkan9el

darkan9el

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I guess no-one knows how to fix this hmmm! I've also sent an email to philips so if I ever get owt back from that I'll quote it here.

regards lee :rolleyes:

3. NX3

NX3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    You got no replies because your question doesn't really make sense. So your updating the firmware on your friends tv everyday ? Or do you mean something else ? I think you need to be clearer but yes a call to Philips technical support sounds like a good idea.

4. tagman

tagman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    How does it update?
    I update mine through the usb port and it takes less than 5 mins.

5. darkan9el

darkan9el

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi guys, thanks for the replies, ok the updates appear via the aerial signal i should be able to accept or reject the update, if I accidentally accept the update, or accept it deliberately, it will take hours. rejecting the update doesn't always work and again it just updates and takes hours.

I haven't had a reply from Philip's yet, if this isn't sortable I'm asking for a refund, because it makes the TV useless. In the user manual it has just two lines commenting on the update feature:

thats it no other explanation.

6. vipergrm

vipergrm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +591
    May I ask why you are consistently trying to update the firmware on this particular set? Firmwares don't come out that often so even if it did take several hours every 3-6 months then what is the panic? I hardly see this being a reason to return the set. I'd love to know why you're doing it anyway ;)

7. Only777

Only777

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +124
    It sounds like an over the air update is being broadcast at the minute for this particular tv? Maybe there is an option in the menu to disable auto updates, probably the digital menu rather than analogue (if it has both, my sony does)

Would a poor signal cause a lengthy download of the software? Ive seen freeview boxes update in minutes so can't see a reason why it would take hours?

8. darkan9el

darkan9el

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    A slight delay in replying...

sorry, had some family troubles, anyway, there is a facility to turn the update off... but it doesn't work.

yes its an over the air update

Still no reply from Philips... great service eh!

Whether you want to update or not it will update and does so frequently.

The aerial is a high gain aerial fitted recently to improve signal and signal shows at around 85-95%

9. rusty mechanic

rusty mechanic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    hi mate
    do you know if the philips tv has a usb port on the side? i've got a 32pf9641d and when firmware updates become available on the philips website, i just download them onto a usb stick and plug it into the tv. this by far the easiest way to update the firmware and takes about 3 minutes from start to finish.
    i've just done a google surch for the moel number you gave but nothing came up so i can't check it out for you.
    good luck russ

10. darkan9el

darkan9el

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi thanks for the heads up, I checked the model number and I had added an extra '2' to the number by mistake, so sorry about that. I have checked the manual and the website and it gives no option to update via USB.

I have sent another email to Philips worded a bit more strongly so we shall see what I get from that.

I personally think its a software issue or a bad design feature, in which case they need to fix the software or replace the TV with a working function.

but in the meantime, thanks for the responses.

11. darkan9el

darkan9el

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Just received an email reply from Philips, they wanted me to ring an 0870 number and quote a ref No, which I grudgingly did; why I should pay up and above normal rates for a less than excellent service is quite beyond me, but that's one of my old man grumbles.

After listening to the options and following their instructions I was told I'd gone to the wrong Dept, I was left waiting for approx 10 mins while being transferred, upon being transferred I got a clueless operator, on a terrible line. I have to say I'm not impressed with Philips service up to yet.

I had to repeat myself several times to different people and explain what the problem is, only to be told it needs looking at... No kidding... really! I told him I know it needs looking at I don't need to be charged 4-7p a minute up and above what I should be paying, to be told the TV has a fault, that's the reason I was phoning. Why do I have to continually tell people how to do their job, it drives me mad.

Anyway it needs to be taken away, so this is my next problem, the TV is faulty, this is not my problem this is Philips problem, so they should loan me a tv so I can at least watch TV uninterrupted. Will they Hmmm! we shall see, to me service is everything, bad service means bad product.

rant over.

12. wacko404

wacko404
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have also experienced this issue with my Philips LCD TV - 26PF5521D/10

Sometimes when I turn it on the TV automatically goes into "System Software Update in Progress" "Total Update Time Will be Approximately 45 Minutes"

I can only imagine that it's expecting an OTA (Over The Air) update.

The only way I've found to get rid of this message is to pull the power lead out the back which resets whatever counter triggers the TV to look for an update.

Attached Files: