1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips LCD TVs - The Best!?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by ZeroCool, Aug 20, 2003.

1. ZeroCool

ZeroCool

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was just in Comet in my lunchbreak and to my surprise I noticed a 17inch widescreen Philips LCD TV which had stated on the label component inputs for only £799. I was sceptical so when I went back I did some internet searches. And boy did I get excited :D

It is the philips 17pf9945 with also a bigger brother the 23pf9945 (you guessed a 23 inch). It actually has two component inputs, one HDTV and one SDTV compantable. It is compatible with 720p (native) and downconverted 1080i. Cheapest I found it at is £655 and £535 if you don't mind buying in Holland....

This would simplify things so much for me who wants besides my 8ft monster screen also something for daytime watching and not always having to close the curtains...

Does anyone have experience with these very good looking LCD TVs (also WXGA input available...)

Oh and I just found a brochure on the internet stating Faroudja DCDI progressive scan. But...I can't find anything else confirming what this means. My assumption is that it uses the Faroudja DCDi for interlaced inputs...but I don't know for certain...

Regards,

Zero Cool

2. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had a look round Comet and Curries this evening and was amazed at the range of LCD's they suddenly have. Best in my opinion was the Phillips 30", simply stunning. The Samsung 22" was also very good and the best of the rest. I would like to see the 23" as I don't think a 30" TV plus a projector has much wife appeal. It's thinner too and cheaper and would be fine for everyday viewing. I may have a ring round the local stores to see if any have one on display.

3. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Seconded. I have one. Certainly better than the low-res offerings from Panny and Sharp; cheaper, too and with better connectivity.

4. pdgnews

pdgnews

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Are there different versions of the 17PF9945? The manual I downloaded from philips shows just a single SCART (RGB/composite) socket, VGA socket, RF and audio in (for a PC) sockets. It does mention that some models have two SCARTS, with the second SCART carrying s-vidoe/composite. But no mention of component. Has anyone seen the back of one of these?

http://www.p4c.philips.com/files/1/17pf9945_12/17pf9945_12_dfu_eng.pdf

http://www.consumer.philips.com/glo...bCatId=13_19_FLAT_TV_SU&productId=17PF9945_12

5. ajb

ajb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Hi

Did something I never do today... Went to my local Currys. Amazed by the array of Plasma and LCD screens in there. All set up really badly. Lovely Pioneer 43 incher had some input of blue Sky screen with info bar in place for whole duration of our stay- watch out for burn in chaps! Other key observation was the general level of 16 year old muppets impersonating sales staff.

Anyway... No sign of the Philips 17 incher. The label was on the shelf but no sign of the TV. I await news of the actual inputs if anyone manages to find out.

Out of interest, where in Holland will do it for £535?

Regards
    Andrew

6. leeb

leeb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Popped into John Lewis at Cribbs Causeway (Bristol) last week and they had the 23" Philips lcd on display. Have to say I liked what I saw. I'm tempted.

7. Stereo Steve

Stereo Steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    DO you know what connections it has because the website doesn't tell you! It looks like the set for me but I'm going to have to see one first and probably have a poke around the back.

8. ZeroCool

ZeroCool

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There seems to be different models around. I took my wife to HiSpek in St. Albans and she loved the philips 17" but thought the 23" is better for general watching so we don't have to use the 8ft screen all the time.
    Picture quality was bad as in all these places as they are connected using composite. I saw the back of the 17" in Liverpool (Well Speke) and it definitely had two component inputs. I saw the back of the one in HiSpek and it had no component inputs at all!!! I had it when manufacturers do this......
    A bit further research shows there is a 9945-12 and 9945-58 models but the manuals seems to be the same.
    I'll contact philips and see what they have got to say for themselves. Personally I am only interested in the progressive scan component inputs as that would simplify my whole setup. PS on Component output to two PS component input capable monitors (projector and LCD tv)....

Cheers,

JP

9. ajb

ajb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Zerocool>>

You didn't say where you could get it from in Holland at a bargain price...

Thanks
    Andrew

10. NeilMcRae

NeilMcRae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I thought the pannys and sharps were better when I looked a while ago.

11. Stereo Steve

Stereo Steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I guess this shows how bad some stores are at setting up TV's. Yes, we all prefer different things but the Sharp I looked at was terrible and the Philips superb. I know many people rate the Sharp highly so can only assume the set up did not do it justice. THe Panasonic 22 that I saw the other day was also terrible but I have seen one in a Panasonic centre and it blew me away.

Currys / Comet etc. have a lot to answer for. Trouble is, down my way in the rural South West it's difficult to find a proper dealer who carries stocks of LCD's to compare.

12. ZeroCool

ZeroCool

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    AJB,

Seems that they are competing against each other in Holland. When I looked last week Hermes was the cheapest....A good site to look at is http://www.kieskeurig.nl

They do price comparisons and consumer reviews, very long established in Holland. Well at least they were there when I left the country for the better !? tax climate of the UK......

Cheers,

Zero Cool

13. ZeroCool

ZeroCool

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It all depends what you are looking for. Personally I would not go by the setup in the store unless you have asked specifically not to have it connected via composite and via the video distribution unit they use. I really do not think you can judge a display based upon that setup.

Also it depends for your use. I have yet to find a Panasonic or Sharp that can take component inputs and let alone progressive scan ones for HDTV signals.

If you want to use it as a normal TV than I agree they maybe fine as otherwise the Philips will have to upconvert. But if you want to use it as a companion to a projector system, it would simplify the setup so much to have all your sources in progressive scan signals 'piped' to two monitors that can handle all resolutions....

Cheers,

Zero Cool

14. TheBoingoBandit

TheBoingoBandit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26

Cribbs Causeway's a cool place. I visit there each year I go to the Bristol Hi-Fi show.

There's a decent John Lewis, Sony Centre, large Currys store plus possibly the best Comet store I've seen complete with enormous video wall! :D

ps. Is the colossal projection screen (so big, it used TWO projectors!) above the dining area of Manchester's Trafford Centre still there?