1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips LCD TV Picture Problem

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by Leevan, Jun 4, 2005.

1. Leevan

Leevan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have recently purchaced a Philips 23PF9946/12 and I am for the most part, impressed with its performance. However, when watching DVD's/TV, the picture seems to slowly darken and then become lighter and continues to do this throughout, which has been an annoyance when watching it, particularaly when there is a dark scene and the TV suddenly decides to go darker still. Can anybody tell me if this is a fault with the TV or my connections/settings etc.

2. peahead

peahead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +261
    Hi

is it not something to do with the philips active control system which adjust the picture automatically can i not be turned of just guessing though.

3. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    You could be noticing the effects of Macrovision copy protection on the DVD.

4. Leevan

Leevan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have considered that it maybe macrovision related, I have a multi-region DVD player connected to the LCD TV but I disconnected it and put it through my Toshiba 32" TV and there are no probs with dark/light issues. I also have my digital cable box connected to the LCD TV and it is doing the same thing. It's a great TV but its so frustrating with the picture and not knowing if its a fualt or just a case of some minor adjustments.

5. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    You could always take it up with the dealer you got it from, but a lot will depend how long you've had it.

6. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,310
    It sounds like one of those "Dynamic Picture" or "Auto Contrast" functions to me. These can improve the picture but like any of these spiffy little technologies, a lot of the time they simply get it wrong. For example on my current Sony 26" LCD, Dynamic Picture causes the screen to darken and lighten whenever I swap weapons in Halo 2 on the Xbox.

To make definitely sure it's Dynamic Picture/Contrast, does the picture still darken and lighten if you pause the DVD?

7. Leevan

Leevan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No it doesn't appear to do that when paused and I have looked to see if there are any functions such as Dynamic Pic/contrast in the menu but there isn't so I guess I wouldn't have the option to control it even if I wanted to.. There is a contrast option in the "Features" menu and I turned it off but with no avail. I will exchange it for another model and hopefully my next one will be fine. Cheers for your help anyway.

8. matt_p

matt_p

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38

I think peahead is right; from what I have seen, and from other threads I've seen here, I think it's a feature of Philips LCDs that you can't turn off. I'm sure someone had a similar discussion regarding this problem on a 9986.