Philips LCD TV Picture Problem

Leevan

Standard Member
Reaction score
I have recently purchaced a Philips 23PF9946/12 and I am for the most part, impressed with its performance. However, when watching DVD's/TV, the picture seems to slowly darken and then become lighter and continues to do this throughout, which has been an annoyance when watching it, particularaly when there is a dark scene and the TV suddenly decides to go darker still. Can anybody tell me if this is a fault with the TV or my connections/settings etc.

Hi

is it not something to do with the philips active control system which adjust the picture automatically can i not be turned of just guessing though.

You could be noticing the effects of Macrovision copy protection on the DVD.

I have considered that it maybe macrovision related, I have a multi-region DVD player connected to the LCD TV but I disconnected it and put it through my Toshiba 32" TV and there are no probs with dark/light issues. I also have my digital cable box connected to the LCD TV and it is doing the same thing. It's a great TV but its so frustrating with the picture and not knowing if its a fualt or just a case of some minor adjustments.

You could always take it up with the dealer you got it from, but a lot will depend how long you've had it.

It sounds like one of those "Dynamic Picture" or "Auto Contrast" functions to me. These can improve the picture but like any of these spiffy little technologies, a lot of the time they simply get it wrong. For example on my current Sony 26" LCD, Dynamic Picture causes the screen to darken and lighten whenever I swap weapons in Halo 2 on the Xbox.

To make definitely sure it's Dynamic Picture/Contrast, does the picture still darken and lighten if you pause the DVD?

No it doesn't appear to do that when paused and I have looked to see if there are any functions such as Dynamic Pic/contrast in the menu but there isn't so I guess I wouldn't have the option to control it even if I wanted to.. There is a contrast option in the "Features" menu and I turned it off but with no avail. I will exchange it for another model and hopefully my next one will be fine. Cheers for your help anyway.

peahead said:
Hi

is it not something to do with the philips active control system which adjust the picture automatically can i not be turned of just guessing though.

I think peahead is right; from what I have seen, and from other threads I've seen here, I think it's a feature of Philips LCDs that you can't turn off. I'm sure someone had a similar discussion regarding this problem on a 9986.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom