1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips LCD questions...plus a few general newbie ones too!

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by aleco, Jan 2, 2004.

1. aleco

aleco

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm probably going to buy the Philips 30PF9975 LCD tv, but after reading a few reviews on the internet, I've a couple of concerns - and being new to all this I've no idea what any of it means! :blush:

It has component video inputs that are 576p progressive but not 576i. Should this be of any concern to me? Where would non-progressive images come from?

Also one review said it couldn't display images in 720p 720i or 480p - again, what sources would give these resolution images and should I be concerned about it?

Equipment that I'll be using with it:

GameCube
    Panasonic SC-MT1 DVD Player (I think this supports progressive pictures)
    Maybe a FreeView box depending on whether the TV signal is strong enough.

Will all these work at their top range?

Also - is it just via the component inputs it has these problems (ie so it's ok via scart)?

Basically I've got no idea what all these different resolutions are and where they come from, and how common they are, so any info would be very helpful! :D

One more question - I also read that there was a compatibilty problem with the first batch of models, does anyone know how I can ensure that I don't get one of these models (eg is there an additional letter at the end of the product code)?

Many thanks!

2. Stackers

Stackers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Hi

Did you buy this TV? If so what are your thoughts on it so far?

3. ianmidz

ianmidz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I finally did buy this tv and am more than happy with it.
    I use tivo on one scart and progressive scan from the componant input ( it does both pal and ntsc progressive if your deck will do this (most dont) I use HKdvd25. Progressive picture is stunning- it is this that is reffered to as 480p (ntsc) and 575p (pal). If you have a dvd deck that has componant outputs that doesnt do progressive scan - then you get a blank screen and you will have to use the dvds scart instead. Progressive scan dvd players are so cheap now it is worth getting one for the jump in pic quality. if your not bothered about the pic quality - then stick to the dvd palyer that you already have

4. Stackers

Stackers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Cool!

I think i'm going to order mine this week. I've seen DVD's on it and it looks great, my only concern was with sports! I've heard that fast moving images like football and motor sports can be blurred? Have you experinced this?

Thanks for the reply BTW :)

5. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,017
    Hi Ian,

What are your impressions using Tivo? I'm looking at this TV and would be using it with Tivo 85% of the time.

Only real decision to be taken is whether I can resist the temptation of 42" :) I'm partly convinced by screen burn scares, and we watch a lot of cbeebies

cheers!

6. tonyoevans

tonyoevans

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    congratulations ianmidz, what was the best price you found as I am also looking at getting this screen or the 22inch version.

7. ianmidz

ianmidz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The screen was £1965 i think includin stand- you get a free wall mount included in the box which i was surprised at. You can also get the attractice "boomerang" stand as an extra (about 160 pounds i think) which looks A LOT nicer.

Picture with TIVO is fine although i always use best quality when i record on tivo (as i have upgraded it to 100 gig)

I dont watch sports at all- but i was surprised that football looked ok- some slight blurring - but no where near as bad as other screens( or some 100 htz crts ) i have seen. The "movie plus" setting ( which is the lates version of pixel plus helps. I also think the philips lcd is one of the fastest as far as response times are concerned.

some have said that black levels are not that good- but this is ok - you CAN make out detail in dimly lit scenes in movies- and the backlight isnt noticable ( unlike the sony equivalent)

8. sponshagga

sponshagga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does your phillips automatically switch to widescreen with the Tivo? I just bought the Thomson 27" and I'm happy with it but it doesn't switch into widescreen with the Tivo on scart - tried different leads and no change

9. ianmidz

ianmidz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    no it doesnt. the auto format option displays in the correct format, but it also stretches 4:3 material- its actually quite clever , adjusting the picture depending on what is displayed- but faces dont look horribly stretched

10. aleco

aleco

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry for my late reply - I've had to send my laptop off for repairs so am only able to access the internet at my gym at the mo!

I bought it the day after posting, and got it a few days later (from John Lewis).

I've taken some pictures and will post them up when I'm able to - showing what's in the box and what it looks like set up etc.

I'm very pleased with it so far - blacks are nice and black (unlike my CRT where they were slightly greeny), GameCube looks great on it (it auto-adjusts to fill up the screen very well).

Not really able to comment on normal tv picture quality yet, as the signal here isn't very good and is in the process of being fixed due to the aerial not being connected properly. DVDs are great though.

I've also noticed Teletext seems to be much faster on this lcd tv than my old tv too.

I've not had time to fiddle with all the settings yet as I can't get much of a tv signal to test with, but that should be sorted soon and I'll put up some proper comments later.