1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips LCD 32PF9986:Latest info.

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by JH4, Jun 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JH4

JH4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +219
    The only issue with this set is a possible safety problem with the Ambilight feature, according to Philips - if your set is one that has a problem with the remote control and the ambilight.
    Over the next 6-8 weeks all sold TVs will be inspected by an engineer, and a simple modification carried out, as I understand it, on site.
    Unsold TVs are going back to the factory for modification.
    The message is for all owners of this TV: keep the ambilight OFF until it is checked out and modified, if needed. There are no other issues.
    Mine apparently, will be done fairly soon, as I was one of the first to get this set, so I will post any more info as I get it.
    (Mine works brilliantly, btw ! )

2. chunkymunky

chunkymunky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    JH4, can you help me out with the settings for my PF9986? I'm struggling to get a decent picture out of SKY+ (nowhere near as good as through RF) and with so many settings I just don't know where to start!

Also, is the serial number on the back of the set (so that I can log my details with Philips)? I bet it is as mine is wall mounted with cables all nicely disguised with conduit - would be seriously painful if I need to take it down off the wall!!!

Love the set though, far better than the Samsung, Tosh and JVC offerings at 32". Haven't yet seen the Panny in the flesh but if it's anything like the Plasmas then I assume it will be pretty good (a tad expensive though especially when you add the wall bracket).

As to Philips coming to repair your set, that is the same info. I got from Electrical Discount UK from whom I purchased mine. keep us all updated with progress. Cheers. :smashin:

3. JH4

JH4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +219
    The serial number is on the back - above the scart sockets. Made in Belgium.
    My settings for RGB Freeview / DVD, and Sky "S" are:
    Smart pic. - "personal":
    Contrast:95. Brightness:62. Colour:54. Sharpness:3. Tint:Normal. P+2:On.
    Dynamic contrast:Medium. DNR:Medium. Colour Enhancement:On.
    Since there is no issue with screen burn, I run the brightness a bit higher than a Plasma. Set the sharpness with a frozen picture and you can see the effect better if you get close to the screen.
    It also runs a lot cooler in this hot weather than a Plasma. Barely warm at the top of the set,and no fan.

4. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.