Philips Hue Play HDMI Sync Box Owners

Macbooky

Established Member
Reaction score
I've seen a few posts about the Philips Hue Play HDMI Sync Box but not an owners thread so thought I'd start one. Just recently purchased this. It's supposed to support Dolby Vision but unfortunately I am having issues (like others have). Is anyone using an LG CX with Apple TV 4K and the Sync Box not working with Dolby Vision movies? Works fine with HDR on iTunes or Plex but nothing on DV movies. When I enable the 'Dolby Vision Enhanced compatibility' mode in the Sync app settings it sets the DV movies to HDR but then works fine. The manual says that LG should be compatible. Anyone else had this issue? BTW, I am using HDMI ports 2 and 4 on the Sync box as they are compatible with HDR/DV content.

Philips Hue Play HDMI sync box Firmware version 1.7.5 just released and no release note yet, hopefully this fixed the many crashed and reboots !

I've seen a few posts about the Philips Hue Play HDMI Sync Box but not an owners thread so thought I'd start one. Just recently purchased this. It's supposed to support Dolby Vision but unfortunately I am having issues (like others have). Is anyone using an LG CX with Apple TV 4K and the Sync Box not working with Dolby Vision movies? Works fine with HDR on iTunes or Plex but nothing on DV movies. When I enable the 'Dolby Vision Enhanced compatibility' mode in the Sync app settings it sets the DV movies to HDR but then works fine. The manual says that LG should be compatible. Anyone else had this issue? BTW, I am using HDMI ports 2 and 4 on the Sync box as they are compatible with HDR/DV content.
that was an LG TV. fault, fixed with lastest LG firmware

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but did you solve this?

I actually havent got round to testing it again. I'll try tomorrow and post an update!

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but did you solve this?
The Dolby Vison issue with LG TV is fixed, the constant crashing from the Hue Box, still happening,

The Dolby Vison issue with LG TV is fixed, the constant crashing from the Hue Box, still happening,

some one better tell my tv that buddy because I have the same issue as the OP

LG C9 up to date
Denon x3400 up to date
ATV 4K up to date
Hue Sync up to date

I just checked now and it's still not working for me. :(

I bought one of these this week and so far I’ve had no issues or crashes to report running v1.8.3

same no more issues on my side either, really happy

I dont have any crashes but I tried playing dolby vision content on the Nvidia Shield Apple TV app which still didn't sync. :(

I dont have any crashes but I tried playing dolby vision content on the Nvidia Shield Apple TV app which still didn't sync. :(
did activate dolby vision on the box? also did you check the hdmi cables?I have both and no issues whatsoever on my side

did activate dolby vision on the box? also did you check the hdmi cables?I have both and no issues whatsoever on my side
If I enable Dolby Vision Enhanced compatibility in the box settings then it just changes the picture to HDR not Dolby Vision. Cables should be ok. :(. Are definitely getting Dolby Vision?

I bought mine last year but barely used as on the shield it always needed to be rebooted after switching it on and off, really should try and update it to see if any better these days

So I know the ports aren’t 2.1 so aren’t going to support 120fps but do they support VRR?

Last edited by a moderator:
So I know the ports aren’t 2.1 so aren’t going to support 120fps but do they support VRR?
The sync box is able to support 120Hz with an image resolution of 1080p and 1440p. not sure about VRR though.

If I enable Dolby Vision Enhanced compatibility in the box settings then it just changes the picture to HDR not Dolby Vision. Cables should be ok. :(. Are definitely getting Dolby Vision?

mine works ok for dolby vision... use it loads for apple TV.

Change your cable for a certified one. Make sure your whole chain has the same cable. Been using Dolby Vision daily with Apple TV and shield both via the hue sync box without issues.

Change your cable for a certified one. Make sure your whole chain has the same cable. Been using Dolby Vision daily with Apple TV and shield both via the hue sync box without issues.
Thanks. One of the cables is the one supplied with the sync box so I assumed that was good enough. I’ll change it out. 👍🏻

Does anyone have a LG C1/CX and a hue sync box and a Sony strDN1080 and still able to get the full features of the series x such as VRR?

Does anyone have a LG C1/CX and a hue sync box and a Sony strDN1080 and still able to get the full features of the series x such as VRR?
Don't have series X but the hue sync box is very limited as video output, so will not use it for games, using it will only reduce your video capabilities. Plug your xbox/ps5 straight to the TV and eARC for audio to Sony strDN1080

Don't have series X but the hue sync box is very limited as video output, so will not use it for games, using it will only reduce your video capabilities. Plug your xbox/ps5 straight to the TV and eARC for audio to Sony strDN1080
Thanks for the reply. I was actually hoping there was a work around using both hdmi outs on my STR 1080 but if not, then probably just do the above

Thanks for the reply. I was actually hoping there was a work around using both hdmi outs on my STR 1080 but if not, then probably just do the above
there is no walk around, hoping the next model of sync box will support it all, for now, it's too limiting for games. Only good for movies.

Hello,
I’ve joined the forum just for this thread and i really hope that someone of you can help me.
@cecemf i’ve got an LG G1 OLED Evo connected to the hue sync box.
Into the 2nd HDMI port of the hue sync box i’ve got an Amazon Fire Cube, and into the 4th port i’ve got a PS5.
Directly to the TV (into the eArc port) HDMI 4 port, i’ve got a sonos arc soundbar.
Each device is connected through Ivanky certified HDMI cables (Amazon product ASIN B084L3HYPB) and they’re working great.
Suddenly the dolby vision issue is still present for me, every time i have to enable the “enhanced dolby vision” that downgrades the picture quality to a standard HDR (i suppose) but the light sync works well, without that option enabled the lights won’t sync.
With fire cube connected to the hue box my LG G1 displays the video output as rgb 8b tm - 3840x2160p - 60hz fixed, the colors are amazing and dolby vision works correctly, but lights won’t sync.
if i enable the enhanced compatibility in hue sync, the video output is YCBCR422 8b, the colors seems washed out and less brighter and of course, light sync works well.
If i connect the fire cube directly to the tv the video output is rgb 8b tm - 3840x2160p - 60hz fixed (same as hue sync box without the dolby option enabled).
With PS5 all is working but i think it’s only because PS5 doesn’t support dolby vision…the only thing i can’t understand is that if i connect the ps5 directly to the tv the output is rgb 12b 4l8, but if i connect it to the sync box it will be YCBCR422 8b (like the fire cube with the enhanced dolby enabled).
I don’t think that my hdmi cables are the problem, but in case…what hdmi cable should i try?
Sorry if my english is not so good, but i’m italian😂

Ps: all of my devices are updated to the latest firmware version.

Hope that someone of you can help me, thank you!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom